R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
going4speed
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure until it went to AP and they say use the off the shelf parts. We go through this all the time in the company I work for. Will it work yes. Is it the best idea no. Will it end up in court no. Use it and move on.

Originally Posted by Mach V Dan
If this were user interface testing, and a significant percentage of the test subjects were confused or annoyed about the interface...wouldn't you at least consider what it is about the design that's confusing or annoying the user?

--Dan
Mach V

Old 02-10-2008, 09:20 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by going4speed

Filled with rage? Over turn signals......
I've got problems with the rage... Actually, I only really get mad when I screw up something I can completely control, like spilling food on yourself or falling down. Those are the things that drive me nuts. I figured I could control a signal light and I kept screwing up over and over again. Surely I could work a signal light. That's why I had rage. (The phrase is mostly a joke around my house, think of the incredible Hulk and the rage that guy feels)

Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
FWIW, this is something the owner can do, takes about 15 seconds per item programmed...
Some people just don't like new things. I have no idea why someone that like that would choose a Mini, since there are so many things different from the traditional motor vehicle ...but oh well.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
I like it. I should start using that at work

The older I get the less rage I have. But for a fat man spilling food will still get me there

Originally Posted by giantjoe
I've got problems with the rage... Actually, I only really get mad when I screw up something I can completely control, like spilling food on yourself or falling down. Those are the things that drive me nuts. I figured I could control a signal light and I kept screwing up over and over again. Surely I could work a signal light. That's why I had rage. (The phrase is mostly a joke around my house, think of the incredible Hulk and the rage that guy feels)

Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is always the option of using hand signals...

Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Rastven
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
I don't like to spend my time programming turn signals, sorry! You can keep your neat "features."
So you too busy to spend 15 seconds doing it yourself yet would be willing to run to a dealer with your R53 if you have to have it programmed?
I'll happily keep my DIY features thank you.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
After reading some of the complaints in here, I don't know if I should pass out Kleenex or pacifiers.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd settle for a "No Nonsense UI Package" option with R53-style turn signals, ignition key, speedo, center stack and bonnet release. BMW could even make a few more bucks off of us!

Originally Posted by minicooperwill
After reading some of the complaints in here, I don't know if I should pass out Kleenex or pacifiers.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Littlesha
Wow...in such an incredibly cool car ('08 Oxygen Blue Mini), how can the turn signals be so crappy? Switching them on is always annoying...sometimes it works, but if you don't hit it just the right way, it doesn't work. Then you try to switch it off and the opposite turn signal is switched on because you hit it wrong. My husband drove the car and was also shocked at how bad they were. My 2000 Beetle had better signals. How can THAT be?

Sharon
Surfblue says: That's easy, Sharon. Turn signals are for THE MASSES. A true DRIVING ENTHUSIAST doesn't use turn signals. Ask Slag, he'll explain it better than me.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Laser-Red
1st Gear
Practice, practice, practice makes perfect! Unless you are a doctor!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 911Fan
R53-style turn signals, ignition key, speedo, center stack and bonnet release.
I'd prefer all the improvements, thanks, including the awesome R56 Cooper bonnet/grill.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
Some people just don't like new things. I have no idea why someone that like that would choose a Mini, since there are so many things different from the traditional motor vehicle ...but oh well.
Originally Posted by gokartride
I'd prefer all the improvements, thanks, including the awesome R56 Cooper bonnet/grill.
Agreed! All three of these posts echo my thoughts exactly. I know a lot of people have issues with a few changes which the R56 introduced (primarily the large speedo) but I personally love all of them. To each their own...

Oh and regarding the turn signals, as others have said you'll get used to them in no time. After a couple weeks of ownership I was (and still am) absolutely addicted to the lane change feature.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
minimin
Neutral
At first I dislike it very much too, but now get use to it already.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surfblue
Surfblue says: That's easy, Sharon. Turn signals are for THE MASSES. A true DRIVING ENTHUSIAST doesn't use turn signals. Ask Slag, he'll explain it better than me.
I think that should read, "A true NARCISSIST doesn't use turn signals.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
You invariable run into MINI-owners here and there for whom certain features just don't fit right at first....the run-flats are too harsh, the roof is too low, the mirror is too small, the dead pedal is too high, the **** is to small. It's always been this way with MINIs. However, especially with R56, the vast majority of owners seem just fine with controls as they are, and even more thrilled to discover functionality that they never knew existed and that really comes in handy. This often comes as a surprise (it did to me) as, over time, one finds that features are very well-placed and very well-thought-through. This is happening all over the car!! All in all it begins to impress what a superb next-gen MINI this is!!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
ColinMc
4th Gear
i LOVE the turn signal setup, i just don't like the oddball noise they make...I wish they had a couple to choose from lol. You can disable the turn signal by tapping it the opposite way lightly too, just like in any other car. As long as you aren't slamming the stalk around and driving like a barbarian it's really easy. For most turns that require a full turn signal useage, the autocancel function works fine for me, then i use the 3 signal lane change function most other times.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 AM
going4speed
4th Gear
I'm not alone look!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I love 'em myself. The 3 blink lane change thing is cool. Eliminating the mechanical aspect is smart. I've had cars that didn't cancel anymore which was a pain. What I love are the reviewers that have trouble figuring out the turn signals and stereo controls and complain about them. Probably because they're way different from the good 'ole 68 Mustang they got as their first car (like me!).

Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Radio **** complaints I can't really understand. But the turn signals...they still suck.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
hahahaha!! Is the Skuzzy school of whine still accepting applications?

I very rarely screw up my turn signals, so I can't really relate and absolutely love the three flash option.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Radio **** complaints I can't really understand.
It was a first gen complaint.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
...they still suck.
So where do you get things fouled up....cancelling? 3-click? Maybe someone could help.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM
adamacopp
1st Gear
No probs here

on a weekly basis...i got back and forth from my 08 MCS to my 01 wrangler.....and every time i hop in the either car i have no problem.....the turn signals on the mini are very intuitive i think....

Old 02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
TK76911S
4th Gear
I keep seeing this thread, but must be missing something: Is this a real thread or just a spoof?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TK76911S
I keep seeing this thread, but must be missing something: Is this a real thread or just a spoof?

we wish it was a spoof.

Quick Reply: R56 Does Anyone Else Dislike Using the TURN SIGNALS on their '08 as much as I do?