R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Thanks for the larger speedo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:55 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the larger speedo

Some MINI owners seem to be puzzled over the larger R56 speedo but I'm very pleased with it...and proud of it...for several reasons.

First, the appearance...it is almost a direct carryover from the Traveller concept cars of 2005. The manner in which is it let into the dash panel is brilliant and a very logical improvement to the previous dash configuration. As a side note the three-tiered dash configuration is also connected to the classic Mini parcel shelf layout...a very classic (and classy) design.

Second, the control cluster that is in the lower section of the speedo. Some folks seem to think this is just the radio. The inclusion of OBC, sound system, bluetooth information (and controls for all these) in this highly flexible readout is a superb addition and very useful for normal motoring. Given all this, the position of this cluster in the speedo is excellent because it's at eye level and you can actually see/use it. Imagine if the readout was down on the center stack as the radio was on the first gen car....simply would not work. In fact, I hope MINI continues to add features to this speedo-located control cluster...I'd love to have even more handy display information there!!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ONLY problem with the large speedo (which I love, BTW) is my 7-year-old son piping up from the back: "Mommy- Daddy said not to go over 70 MPH during break-in. You're going 83!" Me: "Shaddup, kid." Boy does he take his co-pilot duties seriously!!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 AM
sailorliz23
3rd Gear
yea that is definately the only downside. except mine isnt my kid (as i dont have any) but my mom. its bad enough that they bug you about speed when they cant see the speedo but imagine when that big thing is just staring at her! other than that though, i think its great as it reminds me when im going to fast

Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
I have never really liked the dinner plate sized speedometer. It is form over function. Unless you have the NAV system, I find it distracting.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Diploman
3rd Gear
I too am a fan of the retro-eccentric megaspeedo, a cheerful, endearing presence in the cockpit. Its generous dimensions provide an ideal mounting spot for my GPS in the NE corner of the speedo. This useful feature would not be possible with a salad-plate sized speedo, a la R53. The R56's dinner-plate proportioned info-center is distinctive, unique, and quintessentially MINI. I can't imagine my R56 without it.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides the money I didn't want the speedo replaced by the NAV. I really like the massive speedo. It just screams MINI! First change MINI should make to the display? Put the time on the Comp display. I run the digital speedo on my tach and when you put the Comp display on the big speedo the time goes away. This means I loose the clock in the car. Seems like a simple oversight with a simple fix.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
RVExotics
5th Gear
When people are checking out my car at a gas station or wherever, the giant speedo is one of the first things they mention about the inside, and it's almost always accompanied with a grin on their faces. I love the interior of the R56, I just wish the radio was interchangeable.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniemee
I have never really liked the dinner plate sized speedometer. It is form over function. Unless you have the NAV system, I find it distracting.
Not form over function. Function drives the size. As you stated, the size is necessary for the NAV screen and having two different dashes would likely be cost prohibitive for an under-$30k car.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:53 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ipeverywhere
This means I loose the clock in the car.
If you select any one of the OBC offerings...say mpg...the clock returns to the display over on the right.

Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
Function drives the size.
Agreed...and even without nav, the control cluster in the speedo requires space. If it were any smaller it would be harder to access all that info. It is about perfect, imo...and even seems a tad bit smaller than the Traveller concept.

And by the way...why would anyone complain about the speedo or the R56 headlights having seen this basic configuration on the 2005 Traveller? It's not like this is a total shocker. Not to go off-topic, but Frank Stevenson even put similar headlights in his design for the new Fiat 500!!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Yeah Its one of my favorite aspects of the interior...i agree tho with the others it sucks when ur passenger starts yelling at you for your speed haha

I think it was a great choice by them and they really made the interior stand out even more to match the exteriors uniqueness...I really like what they did with the dash by making the color lines narrower than previous models

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Frank Stevenson even put similar headlights in his design for the new Fiat 500!!
WOW that is the first time ive seen this car...this is such a nockoff interior
They kinda mixed R53 and R56...definitely toward the R53 side with the dash color line...i think you could interchange the passenger side between this and the mini

Old 02-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ipeverywhere
Besides the money I didn't want the speedo replaced by the NAV. I really like the massive speedo. It just screams MINI!
Same here! Granted the NAV would have put me impossibly over-budget, but it replacing the giant speedo is what actually made my decision to forego it all the easier. It is a slick design but I personally prefer how the speedo blends in with the rest of the interior. The nav system's integration doesn't seem to follow the rest of the interior styling IMO.

The speedo is always one of the first thing people notice on my car and love. I really don't understand all the complaints surrounding it.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
My only complaint with the big speedo is during sunset or whenever the light hits it, the glare is horrible. Otherwise, I like my giant speedo

Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
On another note, it would be cool if mini would come out with a line of dinner place settlings. The speedo would be dinner plates. The Tach a smaller plate et al.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniemee
On another note, it would be cool if mini would come out with a line of dinner place settlings. The speedo would be dinner plates. The Tach a smaller plate et al.
If you're not a millionaire, you should be. Brilliant!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
I love the big speedo, it's the perfect place to mount the suction cup for my GPS.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm very pleased with the NAV display and its circumnavigating speedometer for several reasons.

It reminds me more of Star Trek than Minnie Mouse.

The map display in the direction of travel is very impressive to passengers, so they are less likely to be watching the speed.

It displays track titles on mp3 CDs in large type which makes changing selections easier.

It allows custom settings not available without the NAV.

The speedo part around the edge looks very cool to me.

Oh, and the NAV is far more useful than I expected it to be.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I'm very pleased with the NAV display and its circumnavigating speedometer
Sounds like a lot going on where good visibility is vital. I'd love to see the R56 nav at work!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I like it. I don't know why, but I do.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
considering how cell phones have GPS (such as blackberries and nokias), having a built-in nav in the car is useless to me. but to each to their own personal devices.

plus i can't find myself paying $2k for a garmin gps that'll mess up the pretty speedo.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
matty125
5th Gear
I am not to found of it being so large, I prefer the old MINI, guess they call it a R53 . Its just to plain, NO wonder the NAVI is 2,000+ its worth it just to cover the darn thing.
My biggest problem is the Genius's putting the RADIO in INSIDE, AARRRGH.... This complicates the whole after market sound!!!! Good thing I bought 3in Exhaust!!!!!
All in All, thats My only complaint with my car, I think I can live with it!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
If I were into aftermarket stuff, the radio would be an enigma. The CD changer is one place, the volume control is in one place, and the tuner is in another place, the best controls are on the steering wheel. I love the setup...everything is right where it should be, but it's integrated into the car and not one stand-alone module. Takes a good bit of rethinking it seems...a traditional approach to making changes won't work. Fortunately, I'm not changing anything so I can enjoy everything in it's proper place.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry, but the speedo/center stack setup is one of the worst thing about the R56. Too much crammed into the Speedo--would have been much better both functionally and cosmetically to seperate the Speedo from the bazillion controls they crammed into it. From the speedo on down, it looks like Fisher Price got the nod over BMW design. I love what they did with the downtubes to increase leg space, but that's about the only thing they got right in the center of the car--there is a reason virtually every R56 review has panned the speedo/center console...Its really a shame, and I've got my fingers crossed we'll see some improvements in future variants of the R56, as the speedo and center stack have gotten so much negative attention. What they did with the rest of the dash/door panels was fantastic, so here's to hoping the center of the car will be improved.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
WOW that is the first time ive seen this car...this is such a nockoff interior
They kinda mixed R53 and R56...definitely toward the R53 side with the dash color line...i think you could interchange the passenger side between this and the mini

Actually it's an evolution of the original Fiat 500 made in the late 50s' which it is mean't to be, just as the 1st gen dash is the evolution of the classic Mini. Apples to apples.....

New:

Old:

Last edited by #20Works4me; 02-12-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
The "looks like Fischer Price" comment, of which there were many early on, have become comical in their own right (whodathunkit?), as those who drive R56 everyday tend to like it just fine. I particularly like the fact that the clusters are more visible (being silver-on-black) than the first gen car...I can tell what's what by only peripheral vision. Aside from that, everything seems right where it should be....the sound system on/off right behind the shifter, the visual displays (OBC/radio) up higher where you can read it, which you have to to make selections for the OBC, radio, bluetooth. In this case it really does have a good bit of "form follows function", which doesn't always seem the case when one looks at it casually. Bottom line...you have to spend a good bit of time in the car to "get the deal." I vastly prefer the layout to R50s for many little reasons that add up. In any case, ultimately the center stack plays a subordinate role to the tach and speedo when you're actually motoring because most of the controls are secondary. Again, the more I motor, the more I appreciate this.

And two sets of toggles...gotta love that!!

Quick Reply: R56 Thanks for the larger speedo