R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Tiny1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW. I feel like im back in the VW forum where everyone chastises you for everything you say. That being said. I commute 120 miles daily for work, and always wear my seatbelt. And its not only because of not wearing seatbelt for convenience, the chime is just plain ANNOYING. Sometimes i just have something on the seat or whatever. Even if i am stopped at the bank drive through and take my belt off to take care of my banking the stupid thing is chiming. So let me guess now i should walk into the bank or turn off my engine. I dont think that should be necessary.

I know the dangers and wasnt asking anyones advice on why i should wear my seatbelt, or the benefits of doing such.

I asked a simple question. THANK YOU to the ones who answered to the best of their knowledge.

I travel 2 blocks to my best friends house. In a neighborhood. We both live on a cul-de-sac. I travel 3 blocks to my local Wawa convenience store. I travel about 6 blocks through a neighborhood to my parents house. i am quite able to make a judgement call on when I should and should not be wearing my seatbelt. So what youre telling me is that if instead of driving I should walk to these destinations. And if I decide to do that should I wear protective clothing in case I get hit by a car on my way. Or when I walk into the Wawa should I wear a bulletproof vest JUST IN CASE the store gets robbed while im in there. Thanks to all the George Bush's and Ralph Nader's out there trying to make my decisions for me but Im a grown boy. If i want to die in a car accident, so be it. MY BUSINESS NOT YOURS!!!!!!!!!

So again, thanks for information from those who did their best to answer.

Ill be sure to make sure that the next time I ask a question about my car its not something that the government decided was best for me. I wouldnt wanna upset the perfect balance in this FREE COUNTRY.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
tonyeck
3rd Gear
Well, it's your choice not to wear a seat belt I guess, may not be the wisest of choices, but who am I to tell you what to do?

I'd make sure people in the back are always wearing seatbelts though:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TWLmoeoHrP4

Warning - fairly graphic, but useful commercial they used to show in the UK.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyeck
Warning - fairly graphic, but useful commercial they used to show in the UK.
Yup, the forces generated by a quick deceleration from 25 mph can be deadly.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiny1
WOW. I feel like im back in the VW forum where everyone chastises you for everything you say.
You asked people to help you do something unwise and dangerous -- driving without a seatbelt. That would make us a party to your actions. Of course you got our opinions about it.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 PM
J_D
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
You asked people to help you do something unwise and dangerous -- driving without a seatbelt. That would make us a party to your actions. Of course you got our opinions about it.
He knows the risks. It does not effect you so why worry about it.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
What about those of us **** about wearing our seatbelts, but just don't want to listen to the "dung ding dung ding, dung ding dung ding" of the chime when we put the key in the slot?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by oldopelguy
Remember folks, there is still one state that doesn't have seat belt laws. Something about "Live free or die."
That would be New England's own redneck state, New Hampshire, where there is still no adult seat belt law. They do not observe MLK Day either but rather opt for Aryan Nation Day or some other such nonsense.

Ironically, it is probably one of the states whose resistance to having motorists wear seat belts will, over time, be a benefit to the rest of us.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:19 PM
MINIGT50
3rd Gear
If i want to die in a car accident, so be it. MY BUSINESS NOT YOURS!!!!!!!!!
I'm with you on this one. I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, but I don't need the government, other forum members, or the vehicle manufacturer to tell me to do so. Personal responsibility is taking a nose dive and we are fast becoming an ever increasing nanny state, one in which now our cars have to remind us to wear or seat belts, check tire pressures, etc. I don't ride a motorcycle, but if I did I'd always wear a helmet, but I think it's idiotic to think that the government needs to tell me to do so.

It's like those moronic self appointed speed limit enforcers who drive in the fast lane and don't give a crap that traffic is piling up behind them because "they are going the speed limit". Then they get pissed because you flash them.

Sorry to go off-topic here...

Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
harley0711
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I know I'm gonna get a lot of "you're ALWAYS supposed to wear your seatbelt" replies. However, I live a very short distance to some of the places I frequent. (local stores, friends house, parents house, etc.) and dont always want to put on my seatbelt, especially in the freeeeeeezing cold when I am all bundled up. Is there a way to turn off this chime, or at least shorten the length of which it beeps?

BTW, dont worry, I wont try to sue you if i get into an accident without my belt on
Been a fire fighter for 35 years - its people who think like you that keep us busy - Buckle up

Old 02-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
WOW. I feel like im back in the VW forum where everyone chastises you for everything you say. That being said. I commute 120 miles daily for work, and always wear my seatbelt. And its not only because of not wearing seatbelt for convenience, the chime is just plain ANNOYING. Sometimes i just have something on the seat or whatever. Even if i am stopped at the bank drive through and take my belt off to take care of my banking the stupid thing is chiming. So let me guess now i should walk into the bank or turn off my engine. I dont think that should be necessary.

I know the dangers and wasnt asking anyones advice on why i should wear my seatbelt, or the benefits of doing such.

I asked a simple question. THANK YOU to the ones who answered to the best of their knowledge.

I travel 2 blocks to my best friends house. In a neighborhood. We both live on a cul-de-sac. I travel 3 blocks to my local Wawa convenience store. I travel about 6 blocks through a neighborhood to my parents house. i am quite able to make a judgement call on when I should and should not be wearing my seatbelt. So what youre telling me is that if instead of driving I should walk to these destinations. And if I decide to do that should I wear protective clothing in case I get hit by a car on my way. Or when I walk into the Wawa should I wear a bulletproof vest JUST IN CASE the store gets robbed while im in there. Thanks to all the George Bush's and Ralph Nader's out there trying to make my decisions for me but Im a grown boy. If i want to die in a car accident, so be it. MY BUSINESS NOT YOURS!!!!!!!!!

So again, thanks for information from those who did their best to answer.

Ill be sure to make sure that the next time I ask a question about my car its not something that the government decided was best for me. I wouldnt wanna upset the perfect balance in this FREE COUNTRY.
You couldn't have contradicted yourself more compared to what you wrote in your original post:
I know I'm gonna get a lot of "you're ALWAYS supposed to wear your seatbelt" replies.
First, you acknowledge that you will get responses such as what was said. Yet then you complain about it afterwards even though you expected it to happen in the first place. Brilliant!
However, I live a very short distance to some of the places I frequent. (local stores, friends house, parents house, etc.) and dont always want to put on my seatbelt, especially in the freeeeeeezing cold when I am all bundled up.
First, the excuse was because you were "all bundled up". However, now, the excuse is for the few times you go through a bank drive through. And since people are giving you helpful advice as to WHY it's important not to bypass a safety feature that is probably a law in your state, suddenly you get all whiny about people giving you a hard time.

Grow some ***** and learn to accept some criticism, especially when you knew from the start that you were going to get it in the first place.

I'm looking forward to your potential future posts, such as:

-One of my runflats doesn't hold air anymore. I know it has a 50 mile limit on using it without air, but I only travel 3-6 blocks for most of my errands. I know you guys will say "just replace the tire or fill it with air", but how do I turn off the light on the dash that says one is low?

-My brake pads are worn out, but since I never get over 30 mph in my short trips I figure I can just use the handbrake. I'm sure everyone will tell me that "it's unsafe to drive without regular brakes", but how do I disable the annoying light on the dash that says my brake pads are toast?

-My low gas light keeps coming on. I know it only has a few gallons remaining, but because nearly everything I do is within a 1/4 mile radius, it takes another week for me to need to refill the tank. I know most people will tell me that "I should just stop at a gas station", but is there a way for me to keep the low fuel light from coming on?

Lighten up...

Old 02-16-2008, 05:39 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
I'm with Tiny on this one. My life isn't worth taking 1.5 seconds to reach across my chest and pull a belt across me. I mean really, what a hassle. It isn't worth my time.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
J_D
3rd Gear
God i hate the holier than thou types...

Old 02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1. Granted, he may be a complete idiot for not wanting to buckle up, but that's his prerogative...

Old 02-16-2008, 06:15 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
I agree, it's his choice.. anyone here, who is upset that he might choose to turn the dinging sound off.. why are you upset? do you have a vested interest in his life? do you make his car payments? probably not.. you could almost liken this kinda to.. why do people choose to make their mini's go faster.. isn't that dangerous? The mini is your car, you do what you want with yours.. me? i buckle up.. and thats my choice.. as to him not wanting to.. his choice.. he knows the consequences.. im sure he is a big boy

Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
It has nothing to do with "holier than" anything. I just can't stand people who elect to be irresponsible and it ends up raising my insurance rates. If you can figure out a way to spill your own blood and not affect insurance coverage, rates, or litigation, then be my guest. Otherwise, I would appreciate a little consideration and buckle yourself in as your car safety system is designed for.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by J_D
God i hate the holier than thou types...
God I hate the people who complain about the holier than thou types...

"Hey, I wanna take a bunch of prescription meds all at once. What's the best combination? I don't wanna hear people tell me it's dangerous though, since it's MY CHOICE. And anyone who warns me about it is obviously 'a holier than thou type'".

Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Originally Posted by harley0711
Been a fire fighter for 35 years - its people who think like you that keep us busy - Buckle up
Hahaha! I'm with you there!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
What part of 'adult' don't you understand??

Wow, this message board may not be the right choice for me after all. I was a member of another board where there were just as many loudly judgmental and such.

The OP had a valid question, and requested as such in an answer. He doesn't need 75 posts telling him how to run his life or ensure that he doesn't raise so in so's insurance.

Being an adult means making your own choices. If a person chooses not to wear his/her seatbelt, that is their choice, not yours....and litigation be damned.

And my answer is this, check the set belt. There is more than likely a connector there. If you unplug it, you can normally stick a paper clip into the connector closing the connection. I don't have mine yet to validate this, but it is how it works on my my truck.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mauberley
Put it in the boot!
That just sounds.. nasty...

Originally Posted by MiniJayhawk
I just can't stand people who elect to be irresponsible and it ends up raising my insurance rates. If you can figure out a way to spill your own blood and not affect insurance coverage, rates, or litigation, then be my guest. Otherwise, I would appreciate a little consideration and buckle yourself in as your car safety system is designed for.

exactly! That would be MY rational. I also agree with helmet laws.

MINI wouldn't want you to be unbuckled for two reasons - losing repeat business and death rates for their cars.

Originally Posted by Desert_Sand
And my answer is this, check the set belt. There is more than likely a connector there. If you unplug it, you can normally stick a paper clip into the connector closing the connection. I don't have mine yet to validate this, but it is how it works on my my truck.
and you've just become an accessory to someones possible death.

hey OP, if you drive so little with so little concern for an accident you should drop your insurance too.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
SK8BRD
1st Gear
Originally Posted by harley0711
I agree, you need to balance the risk/cost vs the reward. Most accidents occur within 2 miles of home. The cost of buckling up is at most 3 seconds, the cost of being thrown through the windshield is lifetime. If you don't buckle up, at least sign your donor card and make sure that your durable power of attorney is aware also.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Desert_Sand
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth

and you've just become an accessory to someones possible death.

Blah blah blah...

... chance of being hit by lightning, hit by a car crossing a street, hitting the lottery...

So far I have seen two valid responses to the man's question...without someone throwing in their two cents about safety, etc, etc.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
zach999
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zach999
Cut the wires to the speaker that produces the gong
^^^heres my answer to the OP
motor on, driver!

Last edited by zach999; 02-16-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:04 PM
minicarma67
2nd Gear
Blah blah blah...

... chance of being hit by lightning, hit by a car crossing a street, hitting the lottery...

So far I have seen two valid responses to the man's question...without someone throwing in their two cents about safety, etc, etc.
THANK YOU!!! ^^^
Jeeze the preaching!!!
Turn the gong down very very low so you can't hear it compared to the radio noise.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy

The OP had a valid question, and requested as such in an answer. He doesn't need 75 posts telling him how to run his life or ensure that he doesn't raise so in so's insurance.
In order to avoid that, he needs to learn to be more direct about asking for help on this forum. There is absolutely no point in mentioning that you don't wear your seat belt unless you are prepared to hear people's opinions on the matter.

I've also complained previously about the seatbelt chime, but it has nothing do with me not wearing my seatbelt. I just want to be able to put more weight on the passenger seat without it going off. SO LEARN TO BE MORE DIRECT!

So far we're only up to post 49 on this one

Last edited by amazingrando; 02-16-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:28 PM
MiniJayhawk
4th Gear
No *****. I actually had the same question about turning off the gong. But I want to do it because of it going off when i have something sitting in the passenger seat and it goes off. I wear my seatbelt because only a rational human being does so. I also know every situation in my car, including who is in it and if they are wearing their seat belt. So I don't need the alarm for the opposite reason as some of you.

So I guess I would rather be referred to as "holier than thou" than "complete imbecile".

Quick Reply: R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?