R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt,and I could be wrong.. but.. I don't think by offering a suggestion as to how to turn the noise off, is becoming an accessory.. if we got down to nit picking something like that.. then when someone, tries a mod.. and it doesn't work.. aren't the people who post it in the forum responsible? I've seen people give advice from car seats, to insurance premiums..cost of gas.. colour of the car.. somehow I don't see me painting my car outrageousneongreen.. then deciding i don't like it.. but because someone posted it as a colour choice for me to use.. that I could even hold them liable for my decision to use it.. like his decision to turn the chime off..
His question.. really isn't as crazy as some of the other things you can read here. Some of these answers though.. take the cake..

But.. I did a google search.. and here is the answer.. on NAM with pictures.. read at your own risk

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...+warning+chime

Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I also agree with helmet laws.
When California passed the helmet law, my cousin was head of orthopedics at UC Davis. So, he saw a lot of trauma patients. He told me that when the law went into effect he notices a significant drop in organ donations from young healthy men. It's a shame, really. People need those organs.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Plaz
3rd Gear
I always wear my seatbelt. Always. I'm so acclimated to it that I don't feel comfortable driving without it on. It's completely stupid to not wear one at all times when in a moving vehicle.

That being said, In my opinion, seatbelt and helmet laws should be considered unconstitutional. What right does the government have in telling me I'm not allowed to risk my own life and limb? It's not endangering anyone else or infringing on anyone else's rights if I choose to be stupid in this fashion.

If you buy into the rationale that insurance rates justify granting the government jurisdiction over this behavior, then you're opening up a can of worms on a slippery slope... what's next? Outlawing fatty foods? A McDonalds tax? Government-mandated limits on couch time and enforced workout regimens? Do you really want to go there?

Why not just allow insurance companies to deny, or only partially pay claims for those injured due to their own stupidity, or pay higher premiums should they elect to not be subject to such limitations? Then you don't have to allow the government to unconstitutionally regulate and micromanage individual's rights and behaviors.

A wise man once said "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." I agree.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Plaz
I always wear my seatbelt. Always. I'm so acclimated to it that I don't feel comfortable driving without it on. It's completely stupid to not wear one at all times when in a moving vehicle.
Yup, I was installing & wearing seatbelts before they were mandated by law. Having sufficient imagination to visualize what it would be like for my face to hit the steering wheel at any speed above 5 mph is cause enough for me to wear a seatbelt.

That being said, In my opinion, seatbelt and helmet laws should be considered unconstitutional. What right does the government have in telling me I'm not allowed to risk my own life and limb? It's not endangering anyone else or infringing on anyone else's rights if I choose to be stupid in this fashion.

If you buy into the rationale that insurance rates justify granting the government jurisdiction over this behavior, then you're opening up a can of worms on a slippery slope... what's next? Outlawing fatty foods? A McDonalds tax? Government-mandated limits on couch time and enforced workout regimens? Do you really want to go there?

Why not just allow insurance companies to deny, or only partially pay claims for those injured due to their own stupidity, or pay higher premiums should they elect to not be subject to such limitations? Then you don't have to allow the government to unconstitutionally regulate and micromanage individual's rights and behaviors.

A wise man once said "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." I agree.
We are already far down your slippery slope.
Heroine, marijuana, cocaine, and a variety of other drugs are illegal.
Suicide is illegal.
People under 21 are not allowed to consume alcohol.
Various sexual practices are illegal. I believe most states have laws restricting a 12 year-old from having consensual sex. Some outlaw some behavior between adults.
I'm sure others can think of more examples, but the government has been in the business protecting us from ourselves for a very long time.

Are you for removing all of those bans, or just some of them? Personally, I'm rather ambivalent about these issues. I can see valid reasons for both sides of the argument. By protecting people from their own stupidity we eliminate the evolutionary pressure to increase the intelligence of the human race. People should be allowed to earn the Darwin award. On the other hand, a great deal of pain and suffering can be prevented by protecting people from their own follies.

However, I really dislike the hypocrisy of expecting government restriction of some emotionaly or religously-charged acts, but demanding freedom from other acts.

All that being said, not wearing seatbelts has more consequences than just insurance rates. An accident that might have been just a fender bender (which may or may not require police to be dispatched) becomes an event where the Fire Dept., Police, and ambulance need to be dispatched. This costs taxpayers money. If the other driver is at fault, it could change their consequences from having done property damage, to having killed someone.

As was shown in the video (linked earlier in the thread) a person not wearing a belt can injure another occupant of the car.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Modshack
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
All that being said, not wearing seatbelts has more consequences than just insurance rates. An accident that might have been just a fender bender (which may or may not require police to be dispatched) becomes an event where the Fire Dept., Police, and ambulance need to be dispatched. This costs taxpayers money. If the other driver is at fault, it could change their consequences from having done property damage, to having killed someone

Exactly...In the rural redneck (hey watch this) area of North Carolina that i live in, you can't believe the number of serious injuries and deaths caused by the simple failure to buckle up. Survivable accidents in most cases. If you want to be stupid, knock yourself out...Just don't expect me to pay for it..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so used to wearing mine that I actually feel uncomfortable and insecure without it on. I agree, if you choose not to wear your seatbelt that your own negligence may end up costing others both time and money, so it's not just a matter of your own person freedoms here. It's about responsibility.

Last edited by amazingrando; 02-17-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Tiny1
1st Gear
so exactly when did this turn into a debate on whether or not one should wear a seatbelt??

Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
It should not have, and it's highly disappointing that it did. There are lots of legit reasons for folks to disable the chime. We should address that and not get into the side issues. Those would be over at NorthAmericanEthics.com.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tiny1
so exactly when did this turn into a debate on whether or not one should wear a seatbelt??
That would be the first post when you asked people to help you not wear your seatbelt. Go look at what percentage of your post is about not wearing your seatbelt vs. disabling the chime. It is mainly about not wearing a seatbelt.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:07 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I was about to say the same thing as Robin. I don't suppose you took the time to read through this entire thread? I mean you started it, so you may as well, becuase you CLEARLY are still not getting it but I hope you will.

Last edited by amazingrando; 02-18-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
i've never heard anyone say... "OMG look how cool that guy is without his seatbelt on. i wish i could be that fearless." who cares. you could always just remove the dash and disconnect the wiring if you could care less. you are more likely to be killed by your airbags though now that there isn't any static restriction from the seatbelt.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 AM
chili_red07
5th Gear
At this point I don't think anything written in this thread will change anyone's opinion about seatbelt use. Lets just let the thread die

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
I agree...oops! I just bumped it.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
hpaco
2nd Gear

Last edited by hpaco; 02-18-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
WOW. This thread has gotten waaayyyy out of control.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Dan00Hawk
5th Gear
I'm disabling my turnsignals, headlights, brakelights, airbags, seatbelts, and even the crumple zones in order to not have safety items forced upon me by "the man". I may even install a Pinto gas tank while I'm at it just to thumb my nose at the system since I'm such a rebel!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Sithor
2nd Gear
The only way to turn off the chime is by the dealer when they are doing the PDI. I tipped the MINI Tech. and had him turn mine off.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 PM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Originally Posted by Dan00Hawk
I'm disabling my turnsignals, headlights, brakelights, airbags, seatbelts, and even the crumple zones in order to not have safety items forced upon me by "the man". I may even install a Pinto gas tank while I'm at it just to thumb my nose at the system since I'm such a rebel!
ROFLMAO! gotta get that pinto gas tank mod for sure!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thats awsummme!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Eirhead
1st Gear
Yup, the forces generated by a quick deceleration from 25 mph can be deadly.
Afaik unless that involves head trauma, it is rarely deadly. In which case a properly thrown punch can be deadly just like a car. I remember reading a plane crashing at 50mph you can typically walk away from whereas 55mph typically kills. That's your danger speed.

Anyways, I want to disable my passenger seat because I put my fat laptop bag(it doesn't fit in the trunk unless I fold the seats and its awkward to get into the back and won't smush into the floor of the passenger side) on it and it sets off the chime, I always wear my seatbelt, even for short drives unlike the OP. I don't think all the "moral lessons" were necessary tho...

Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Don't wear your seatbelt. We need more organ donors.
+2 thanks to the donor program i have new knee ligaments Its odd feeling when i think about it.
I was expelled from a toyota 4x4 at 60mph....NO seat belt ripped 1 tree in half. Nobody knows why Im here today, I still have pains from 10 years ago, I consequently ALWAYS WEAR MY SAFTEY BELT FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS>>>>> Nobody rides in my car w/o a belt. No seatbelt wearing ranks right up next to drinking and driving STUPID. By the way, when my groceries set off the chime, I belt them in as someone else stated. Also everyones car has a standard option...ITS CALLED THE TRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by matty125; 07-18-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
haha gotta say tiny, shouldn't have mentioned that you don't wear the seat belt at times (going to local places). hahahaha, but yeah i understand what you mean though that chime is quite annoying.

So is anyone going to answer the question how to take off the chime?

I always wear my seat belt (I feel quite naked if I don't), and always tell passengers do too (habit hahaha)...but usually it's me driving bymyself (friends think my car is too small so whenver we're hanging out always end up going in someone else cars :P (saves me some gas hahahaha).

But when I am carrying luggage that I don't want to put in the trunk (things I must take out soon), I always have to put the passenger seat belt because the weight my luggage sets off the seat belt chime.

so anyone know how to turn it off?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
2xMini
6th Gear
Well, nice for the naysayers to laugh at those who for their own reason don't wear a seatbelt, but let me tell you this: I am alive and breathing today because I DIDN'T wear one almost two years ago. Here's the proof:

http://ciobota.googlepages.com/carcrash

I was hit by a semi head on, and the top was up. The semi hit me so hard I got spun around 180deg, hit a tree right where my seat rest was and flew through a closed window to land about 10ft from the car, which had flipped over and landed upside down square on a large piece of deadwood. Have I been "secured" in my seat I would have been stone dead on impact. I refused to wear a seatbelt in that car, because I knew the dangers of flipping over and I was afraid of being pinned under that exact way... don't ask me why I sensed that, but I did.

I am a semi-retired racer. I always wore my seatbelt(s) when racing, helmet, and suit included. I always wore a seatbelt (and wear now in the MINI) with a few notable exceptions, like that sebring convertible. Seatbelts don't always save lives, seatbelts can easily kill as well, and my example isn't the only one that proves that.

Sorry to rant, and don't want to start a flame war (I do still have my nomex suit though, lol), but all the ridiculing from the "morally right" just got to me. To each their own I say, I don't question your judgment on the risks you take, please don't question mine.

My $.02

Daniel

Old 07-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eirhead
Afaik unless that involves head trauma, it is rarely deadly.
And why wouldn't it involve head trauma? Do you leave your head at home when you drive?

In which case a properly thrown punch can be deadly just like a car.
So?

I remember reading a plane crashing at 50mph you can typically walk away from whereas 55mph typically kills. That's your danger speed.
No seatbelt at 50 mph a walk-away speed? I very much doubt it. I'd like to see that document.

Anyways, I want to disable my passenger seat because I put my fat laptop bag(it doesn't fit in the trunk unless I fold the seats and its awkward to get into the back and won't smush into the floor of the passenger side) on it and it sets off the chime, I always wear my seatbelt, even for short drives unlike the OP.
Yea, that is annoying. I get it with a camera bag. I just fasten the seatbelt. Since the OBC monitors so much stuff on the MINI, including light bulbs, I figure it would be opening a can of worms to try and disable just that function. That weight sensor is involved with airbag use as well. Wouldn't want to permanently disable the airbags.

I don't think all the "moral lessons" were necessary tho...
From me?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
So, how many of you have ever driven faster than the posted speed limit? Or failed to use your blinker when turning or changing lanes? Or used the left hand turn lane to speed up in to merge with traffic? Or failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. By doing any of these things, you have recklessly endangered not only your life, but the lives of any family memebers you may have in the car at the time, my life, my family's lives, innocent bystanders, etc., etc. Hey, I think I LIKE this "holier than thou" stuff. That's why I buckle up, wear a helmet, firesuit, gloves, Nomex underwear, and never exceed 55 MPH when I drive my MINI!

Quick Reply: R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?