R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, how many of you have ever driven faster than the posted speed limit? Or failed to use your blinker when turning or changing lanes? Or used the left hand turn lane to speed up in to merge with traffic? Or failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. By doing any of these things, you have recklessly endangered not only your life, but the lives of any family memebers you may have in the car at the time, my life, my family's lifes, innocnet bystanders, etc., etc. Hey, I think I LIKE this "holier than thou" stuff. That's why I buckle up, wear a helmet, firesuit, gloves, Nomex underwear, and never exceed 55 MPH when I drive my MINI!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
bobj
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wear seatbelt or not? The best guideline I can suggest is: do you have anyone who will miss you? Many years ago, someone I still miss went to the local store for a gallon of milk and never came back. Because she was not wearing her seat belt. Its hell to outlive your children. But we all have free choice.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:14 AM
danielo
4th Gear
my early '07 chimes when i don wear my seat belt.
(before the flaming begins, i don't wear it when i have to maneuver my car in my carpark to move my bikes in and out) The chime does go away after a few minutes.

A few week sago, I attended a MINI 'Speed Date' event where we got to drive the entire range of MINIs. They were 2008 cars and guess what, the chine is less annoying but it NEVER goes away.

Guess you win some and lose some.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zooki
So, how many of you have ever driven faster than the posted speed limit? Or failed to use your blinker when turning or changing lanes? Or used the left hand turn lane to speed up in to merge with traffic? Or failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. By doing any of these things, you have recklessly endangered not only your life, but the lives of any family memebers you may have in the car at the time, my life, my family's lives, innocent bystanders, etc., etc. Hey, I think I LIKE this "holier than thou" stuff. That's why I buckle up, wear a helmet, firesuit, gloves, Nomex underwear, and never exceed 55 MPH when I drive my MINI!
Congratulations, you have successfully posted a holier than thou message.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
2xMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Congratulations, you have successfully posted a holier than thou message.
Let it die please. I believe there is a policy here against people restating their position to death? Something about trolling?

Please, just let it go.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:01 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Why is this a to wear or not wear seatbelt thread, do people have nothing better to do then tell others how to live, it has become the worst thread ever because of everyone who has to tell the OP why he's wrong, and how he should live.

Now that being said I always wear my seatbelt, but I would love to know a way to disable the gong (this was a simple in my VWs and Audis by using a Vag-Com, if you don't know what it is, look it up). The reasons being among those stated, if your stopped at an ATM or drive through, if your waiting while parked, or the all annoying stuff on the passenger seat.

Now can we try to withhold our personal opinions or stupid responses (like put the packages in the boot, or buckle them in) on the seatbelt matter, and try posting constructively in response to answering the OP question.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 AM
bmwrider1015
2nd Gear
I think we are all getting brain washed and told what we have to do in this country and it is being more a money maker than a saftey tool..
I ride a motorcycle and take risk every day and that is my choice and love the risk I take doing so and pushing corner speeds to add to the thrill..
Some day this country may take that right away or find a way to make more money from one riding because of risk. Again it will be Money !!!
We can go on and on but we all take risk and now have air bags and their is no guarantee that air bags or seat belt or helmet will save your life..
It is a risk but a fun one and yes that one time a seat belt saves you or air bag or in my case a helmet thank the Lord or blessing that it worked
out that way..
Or the others or weren't so lucky that as one says you were in the wrong place at the wrong time like being in a city and getting hit by a bullet..
Stop preaching and count your blessing that you have the choices and stop making this country a police nation as it has become..
My thoughts more taxes and more ways to make you pay..Seat Belts
And one more thought about us as men and doing the right safety thing right. When most of us buy a Mini "S" is it for safety or is it for SPEED.
Hmmmmmmmm?
So my last thought is stop preaching to every one and look at yourself
and the stupid things you do every day..
And just enjoy the time you have with the life that is given to us.
We are all going to die someday ,tomorrow or years down the road.
We can not save everyone...
Enjoy the way you ride seat belts or not..It is a Mini and have Fun

Last edited by bmwrider1015; 07-19-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:55 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
The ringing really annoys me so this is what I'm gonna do...
1) Go to a junkyard
2) find a seatbelt that fit the min's socket.
3) Take the keypart of the seatbelt and put it in the socket END OF STORY...

Old 07-19-2008, 02:23 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
When you wear a seat belt you not only improve *your* odds of surviving a crash but also you improve *everyone else* odds of surviving *your* crash since you can keep control behind the wheel.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
I always wear my seatbelt I think it would very stupid if I didn't but when your backing up its far more comfortable if you don't use it. Besides in the driver's aid handbook it says it's perfectly legal not to wear a seatbelt while backing out of a spot.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Forgetting all the holier than thou safety *****, I agree, I would love to remove the gonging.... in fact, I made a post about it.

I do wear my seatbelt my my two dachshunds who weigh 22lbs between the two of them cause the gonging to go off.

It's annoying because as they move around, the gonging starts and stops.

A few people suggested to just click the seatbelt. (inconvenient and ends up half over/half under Bondo's body)

A few suggested to buy an extra end but I don't like that either... then when I remove it to actually have someone use the seatbelt, then I've got some stupid piece of metal clanging/laying around.

I've been slammed at work but one day I'm going to pull it into the bodyshop and tear the seats out and check the schematics of the wiring.

I hate the gonging and for those that keep offering opinions whether the OP should or shouldn't wear his/her seatbelt... Get a life, they wanted to know how to do it, not your damn opinion whether you think it's a good idea or not.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:17 PM
AliceCpr07
4th Gear
i also cant condone the not wearing a seat belt...

my boyfriend was in the passager seat- not buckled up--two minutes away from his place

they got rear ended-- he in now in a permanent coma- completely brain-dead. has been for almost 2 years now. we're waiting for the family to make a decision about letting him go

just buckle up, please

Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Forgetting all the holier than thou safety *****, I agree, I would love to remove the gonging.... in fact, I made a post about it.

I do wear my seatbelt my my two dachshunds who weigh 22lbs between the two of them cause the gonging to go off.

It's annoying because as they move around, the gonging starts and stops.

A few people suggested to just click the seatbelt. (inconvenient and ends up half over/half under Bondo's body)

A few suggested to buy an extra end but I don't like that either... then when I remove it to actually have someone use the seatbelt, then I've got some stupid piece of metal clanging/laying around.

I've been slammed at work but one day I'm going to pull it into the bodyshop and tear the seats out and check the schematics of the wiring.

I hate the gonging and for those that keep offering opinions whether the OP should or shouldn't wear his/her seatbelt... Get a life, they wanted to know how to do it, not your damn opinion whether you think it's a good idea or not.
It takes a while to get past all the 'you should live like this' trash in this thread, but the original question looks to address an issue I have as well. The link to another thread that says how to do this however opened my eyes. Yes, the other thread deteriorated like this one has, but what was interesting was the solution. It was for a 2005 and what the guy did was modify the switch inside the seatbelt latch, fooling the car into thinking the seatbelt is always buckled.

My eyes were opened because he attacked the problem in a different way than I was thinking of tackling it. I was going to go after the butt detector. Now I'm going to go after the switch. I've pulled the seats a couple of times (when you want to really detail the car, it's a lot easier with the seats out). I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure the seat belt buckle comes out with it. So I should be able to do the entire mod under the seat.

Now since I'm sure the saints are preparing to fry me over no seatbelt, here's what's different about the mod I'm planning. You get both functions. Now you hear it, now you don't. I want to put a momentary switch under the front left corner of the passenger seat. Then when the ding begins because of my laptop I can reach under the edge of the seat and push that button, triggering a circuit that activates the 'seatbelt is now plugged in, our passenger is being an obedient idiot' signal back to the computer. When you turn off the car, the circuit resets. When a real passenger gets into the car and fails to put on the belt, ding, ding, ding, ding..... (and if you don't really like them, trigger the mod, and drive it like you stole it). And I'll be able to safely activate it while driving because it seems like my briefcase only generates enough weight to trigger the but detector at about 45MPH.

I quoted orangecrush because I agree with him/her. IMHO all the alternatives proposed have problems with them. But there is a solution that is better. That's what making mods is about, improving things.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:17 PM
David Siegel
Neutral
Disabling the Mini's seat belt chime

As much as we all love our Minis, the seat belt chime can definitely make one crazy. Even if you wear your seat belt, the chime will go off unless you buckle up prior to inserting the key. I always wear my seat belt, and don't advocate anything but. Everybody seems to be over-thinking this, and can instill fear that performing any mechanical changes and/or micro-surgery on the mechanism will disable the airbag as well. True. Nobody wants to give up safety in trade for silence. The simplest solution is to order a seat belt extension. It extends the female part of the belt by about 3", and installs in literally 1 second. No chime - anytime. Worth the $25 per seat. Good luck.

David

http://www.hidcountry.com/Products/c...pextension.php

Last edited by David Siegel; 07-25-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank you for your diligence. I wear my seat belt 100% of the time but I loathe the chime. I'll gladly pay a mere $25 to make it go away.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
I can see both sides of this argument - while I always wear my belt, I resent the fact that the car reminds me about it no matter what. Ironic, really - they have engine and transmission software that can "learn" how you drive, and respond accordingly; but there's no such sensor to tell the system "He always buckles up; nix the chime."

By the way, I would be devastated if an action of mine were to cause an accident that cost the life of another driver. I'm just sensitive that way. And whether or not that other driver was belted in, that wouldn't make much difference to me afterward. I would still be partially responsible for killing another human being, and there's no way I want to live with that grief. Their not wearing a belt just increases the chances that my mistake would result in their death. No thank you...

Just my opinion,

Spridget

Old 07-27-2010, 08:20 AM
R56 Wi MINI
3rd Gear
Im not sure about you guys but when I took my drivers test the FIRST thing you did after you got into the car was put on your seat belt. If you didn't and started the engine first or adjusted mirrors first you failed period.

Don't be stupid man, wear your seatbelt.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wear my seatbelt but there is times when that chime is very annoying. I get my mail at the bottom of my driveway and can not even make it to the top and into the garage without that damn alarm going off.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craven offers a little dealy called Chimex that would solve your problems. Costs about $20, but you could probably make one yourself. Good luck.

Last edited by Maugre; 07-30-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can turn off the chiming with a program called NCS Expert. I have done it. I just need to confirm it works as the car is still buried in the garage. It is a simple software conf file in the restraint/airbag computer that needs be changed. The change tells the restraint computer to not send the seat belt warning to the check control on the dash. The red indicator in the speedo will still work. The hardest part is getting the NCS running. The actual change is fairly trivial to perform. With that NCS you can code other neat things like rolling up the windows from the FOB and remove checks for the light bulbs (if you convert to LED) and do retrofits of equipment. I will post more details when I confirm it is working.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:15 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
You can turn off the chiming with a program called NCS Expert. I have done it. I just need to confirm it works as the car is still buried in the garage. It is a simple software conf file in the restraint/airbag computer that needs be changed. The change tells the restraint computer to not send the seat belt warning to the check control on the dash. The red indicator in the speedo will still work. The hardest part is getting the NCS running. The actual change is fairly trivial to perform. With that NCS you can code other neat things like rolling up the windows from the FOB and remove checks for the light bulbs (if you convert to LED) and do retrofits of equipment. I will post more details when I confirm it is working.

it worked with a mini??

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Yep just fine. All of the electronic equipment is standard BMW found in E90 and E60. Like the "BOOST" radio is the same used in both of those cars. Most of the modules look at the vehicle order stored which contains the model and geographic location of the car and they set themselves to behave appropriately. Like the lighting module will run different lights up front and rear depending on the country specific laws, and radio changes it's EQ profile if you have the HIFI AMP or not.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
interesting. i like the idea of remote rolling up the windows.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
What tool do you use to use the program? Is it something available to the public or is it a tool much like the portable programmers that cost 15K to be able to work on BMW's?

Thanks,

Mark

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey

Old 10-08-2010, 05:38 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Regular laptop with Windows XP 32bit. I am using a few year old Dell.

The cable I purchased was this one $119:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200506236067

Installed this driver and software following their PDF directions to the letter:

http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.a...ortsid=&sorts=

FYI That software will install EDIABAS, INPA and NCS Expert. EDAIBAS is the underlaying interface that allows INPA [diagnostic software, some modules work with the R56 but not all] & NCS Expert to communicate with the car. (EDIABAS can also serve the data out to a GT1/DIS v57 virtual machine for R56 diagnostics like window reprogramming, airbag resets, engine lights, I have that running as well with this cable)

Then you need to update NCS Expert with definitions for the R56 with the following:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...36&postcount=8

So then you need to learn how to use NCS Expert. The following forum post will really help with using NCS and the tool NCS DUMMY that translates the German configuration on known values.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1483234

That post gives you basically everything you need to reconfigure the Cooper settings.

One thing to note is that he mentions the ZCS, that is the older BMW method for storing the car's computer configuration. The new system the R56 uses the Vehicle Order (stored in both the CAS and FRM for redundancy). It is a long string of option codes that you can find of RealOEM or the ETK for what equipment your car has (like $653 is for HDradio/IBOC). But I digress...Everything I learned is from this forum:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

There is a lot of information that does not apply to the R56 along with the newer BMW generations. I recommend doing a search on NCS expert on that forum and read up on it. As a warning, you can seriously KILL any of the modules with this software. If you stick to the exact instructions you will be fine, but you need to be very careful.

SSS/Program is the programing coding software that would work with our cars up until software releases late in 2008. But if your car has been to the dealer since then for any updates you are SOL, trust me I thought I could do it but was unsuccessful .

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10-14-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 Can I Turn Off My Seatbelt Chime?