R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 USED TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE...AND...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
mini on
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USED TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE...AND...

Just a couple of days ago ordered an 08 s. Anyways just wondering if one gets that similiar "Zen'' like sensation once in awhile . While you take your MINI out on 200mi cruise out to some outstanding scenery,twisty fun roads place like HWY 20 in Wa. St. As sometimes occured on many a great motorcycle rides. 2 1/2 months before the car gets here I'm already starting to think what it's going to be like to take it out. The wait is long isn't it. hope someone else understands this besides me

WHATS IT LIKE JUST YOU YOUR MINI YOUR FAVORITE ROAD

Last edited by mini on; 02-17-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to NAM, we've got a lot of folks impatiently waiting I couldn't handle the wait and bought from dealer stock.

There's also a bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts here too, here's a few links to the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=motorcycle

Not to mention the common love of twisties, I've hit US129 on an off peak weekend and shared a few hours of conversation of the love and enthusiasm of getting out on the road with several people on bikes.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't had much experience on a motorcycle, but read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance quite sometime ago. Yea, the MINI can keep your attention on a nice twisty road.

When I picked up my MCS at MINI of Mountain View I drove the approx. 100 miles home and decided to stop by the Post Office. When I headed back from the Post Office, the car didn't turn right towards home. It turned left and didn't stop until it reached Arroyo Seca, about 40 miles of winding country road later.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 PM
sirr6
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ride an 02 R6 and 05 R1, I honestly think it depends on you, for me, I didnt take my car to any twisties yet, but figured it wouldn't be as fun as riding only cause when you ride, you get an adrenaline rush when you go on twisties, you can knee drag, and take sharp turns at 60+. Let me know hows it like when you get your car and take it there.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 AM
DriverP5
1st Gear
I'd say yeah, for me I have those moments for sure.

I've been riding the street for not quite a year now, so that feeling of discovery is still fresh. Right after I got my bike I would head a couple minutes down the road to Malibu and discover a new amazing canyon road every time. It was magical... the scenery, the rush, the freedom.

Now I know the roads like the back of my hand, so while it's not quite as impressive as those first rides were, the trips in the Mini still hit me every now with that tough-to-describe sensation. Sure, you aren't as open to the world as you are on a motorcycle, but the connection to the road and your surroundings is just as tangible to me in the R53.

Sometimes it's the epic scenery, sometimes it's really nailing a few hard corners in a row, and sometimes it's just the windows down, sunroof open, and just letting it all in... doesn't get much better than that.

Just for fun... this is my favorite little drive. Gorgeous views of the Santa Monica Mountains, Pacific Ocean, some nice houses, big elevation changes, and usually some pretty nice cars cruising around too.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:09 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
After having two cars pull out in front of me last year and wrecking both times I have given up my motorcycles. The Mini is great, she will stick a curve like a bike and you have metal and 6 air bags around you just in case. I know you will enjoy.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:26 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
You won't find that "Zen Like" state in a Mini but it will come close.

The only reason I gave up on my bike is age. Went from sport bikes (Ducati's, Suzuki's) to a Harley Road King thinking this rolling barko lounger would be better since you have to be deliberate with your wrist twists to get this puppy moving but ultimately you still have the same risks.

Enjoy the Mini but don't give up the bike unless your an old fart like me where it will take you 6 months rather than 6 weeks to recover if the shiny side goes down.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:53 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Different sensation of g-force but just as fun.
I've actually put more miles on the Mini than on my bike since I got it; this is the first time I've ever done that in a 4-wheeler that I owned (excludes company cars that I was paid to drive...).
I used to put 20,000-40,000 miles a year on my bikes; not sure if I'll break 15,000 this year.
I've got over 18,000 miles on the new Mini since getting it in August.

Ride safe and have fun motoring.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:16 AM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the sunroof wide open & the windows down, it's a pretty nice ride through the twisties, just missing that exhaust note (in stock form) ...

not to mention the new turbo motor has TONS of torque low down to just rip you from the apex to the exit of each corner :D

Last edited by n1tr0; 02-18-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
gaston
2nd Gear
Not a sportbike, but close

No, the MINI isn't a sport bike, but for the price its as close as you'll get on 4 wheels, aside from a miata.

On my daily commute (a twisty mtn. road, popular with bikers), I often outrun the bikes in the corners since they have to slow for gravel, wetness, etc.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Close, but no cigar. A different kind of thrill. You won't be disappointed, but you may miss your bike.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i sold my bike last year.

i dont get the same feeling at all in the mini as on a bike.

i do love my mini, dont get me wrong.

but its more of a CRX with modern features to me.
(just as the CRX was an MG with modern features, 20 years ago)

but there is nothing close to the exhiliration and feeling of
freedom i get on a bike.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverP5
I've been riding the street for not quite a year now, so that feeling of discovery is still fresh. Right after I got my bike I would head a couple minutes down the road to Malibu and discover a new amazing canyon road every time. It was magical... the scenery, the rush, the freedom.

Now I know the roads like the back of my hand, so while it's not quite as impressive as those first rides were, the trips in the Mini still hit me every now with that tough-to-describe sensation. Sure, you aren't as open to the world as you are on a motorcycle, but the connection to the road and your surroundings is just as tangible to me in the R53.

Sometimes it's the epic scenery, sometimes it's really nailing a few hard corners in a row, and sometimes it's just the windows down, sunroof open, and just letting it all in... doesn't get much better than that.

Just for fun... this is my favorite little drive. Gorgeous views of the Santa Monica Mountains, Pacific Ocean, some nice houses, big elevation changes, and usually some pretty nice cars cruising around too.
In the mid 1960's I had a 1957 Alfa Romeo Spider and drove that area. I was coming from West Los Angeles up PCH and would go up the small roads like Latigo Canyon, Decker Canyon, and Mulholland. In those days it was not developed. So, it was either open country, or ranch land. Good times.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM
army scope jockey
1st Gear
Nothing comes close to wrapping 100 hp of Italian or German engineering between ones thighs. Not even an RS4 or a 911. Also a cage can't split lanes during a Stau.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Army Scope Jockey, I can think of one thing that's better between the thighs.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mini on
Just a couple of days ago ordered an 08 s. Anyways just wondering if one gets that similiar "Zen'' like sensation once in awhile . While you take your MINI out on 200mi cruise out to some outstanding scenery,twisty fun roads place like HWY 20 in Wa. St. As sometimes occured on many a great motorcycle rides. 2 1/2 months before the car gets here I'm already starting to think what it's going to be like to take it out. The wait is long isn't it. hope someone else understands this besides me

WHATS IT LIKE JUST YOU YOUR MINI YOUR FAVORITE ROAD
Welcome to the club
I have ridden bunches of motorcycles since 1970 (well over 100k miles), and can say with absolute conviction that it is possible to achieve the same euphoric, zen-like state in a MINI. A top-down cabrio probably gets closer, but even a hard-top with the windows open works just fine.

Some pilots talk about their planes being 'honest', meaning that they communicate through the controls clearly and handle as expected without a lot of fussiness. Bikers talk about scraping their knees around the twisties, maybe doing a bit of two-wheel drifting on occasion, brag about lightning quick acceleration and braking, etc. Smelling and seeing things things most folks only dream about. You can very closely approximate most of those things in a MINI (except scraping your knees around corners, unless you're VERY talented )

The MINI is one of the most 'honest' cars on the road today. It will do exactly what you tell it to do without a lot of fuss. The suspension is taut, tuned and responsive (even the base models). The steering is precise. There are almost unlimited aftermarket modifications you can add to your MINI to tweak it's performance to your desires. and you don't have to wear leathers or a helmet to experience the rush. Just strap in, push a button, and motor off into nirvana.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
gvc4
1st Gear
I used to love riding motorcycles. I've had Harley's & BMW's. After friends & fellow riders being hurt & killed I've decided to go toppless with my Mini S convertible.