R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Barebones optioned MINI: a no-no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
ProV1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barebones optioned MINI: a no-no?

is a barely optioned out MINI a bad idea? will i have a helluva tough time selling it down the road? My reasoning is that while options are nice, on a car like MINI it can reach 25-30% of the total car price easily, and you generally don't get much of the extra $ back when you sell. Also, I'll be keeping my 'other ride' that has all kinds of bells&whistles, so a bare MINI will be fine for my purposes.

So bare bones = CWP, multifx wheel, that's it.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Rubbus
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of your logic seems sound re resale value down the road. I'd say go bare bones.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
As long as you have the MFSW I think you'll be in good shape with resale value.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd worry about ordering a stripped car with some cars, but the MINI is very well equipped, even when bone-stock (power windows, power locks, decent stereo, CD, etc). I'd go for it!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Mpath
3rd Gear
Plus lighter weight.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Buy the car the way you want it to be, there have been more that a few people who expressed regret that their car didn't have cruise control or something they later wanted. You have no control over the future, the resale value will be what it will be........buy it to enjoy, not to resell.........

Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
purplefenderman
1st Gear
Dunno man, I'd go with light options.

I have very few options in my base cooper. Just the sport package.

I had a Mazda 6 S Grand Touring sedan (v6) with:
Navigation
CD changer
aux input
tint
leather
every friggen option.

Meaning my car was over $30k new, 28 after cash on the hood.

7 months later after it was wrecked....market value: $14000

Options add NOTHING to resale value!
I was lucky i did huge downpayment and principal payments and wasnt upside down on it getting my mini.

it also wasnt great that ford decided to stop selling their garbage to rental fleets and instead dumped something like 50% of mazda's capacity into rental fleets to prop up their sagging numbers. Thanks a pantload ford! go and de-value the only division you own that makes you money! they made $244M profit overseas, $204M coming from mazda. yeah.

Be careful with heavy options. navigation costs 2000 from the dealer, but time to re-sell and they say it's worth maybe 150 bux because you can buy a tomtom

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Last edited by purplefenderman; 02-21-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Floridabob
1st Gear
I also have a bare-bones Cooper and it was bought for the reason of still enjoying the car and getting a good resale down the road. We all buy cars to sell them don't we ? I have seen and heard of many individuals building their cars upwards of 30 and 40K but that is what Mini's marketing approach is : individuality. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy is all you should be concerned about. Remember though, that when you are talking $$ on accessories that you will not get half of those costs back when you sell or trade. A duck is still a duck no matter how you dress it up, and only you can determine the worth of what you put in to your car.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Robin81
4th Gear
lightly optioned mini = lighter car payment =

Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
sunshine22
2nd Gear
I agree. Even w/ out all the bells and whistles, the car is well equipped and drives great.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
pepe'
Neutral
I should be receiving my stripped MC any day now. I am only paying base price plus the cost of Pure Silver paint. No other options. Hope I like it.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:56 PM
mystfynyou
3rd Gear
Since the car comes with so much standard I think you are fine ordering bare bones. I did that so I could afford mine. I just have the premium package because I need cruise control (saves me the money from tickets!) and I really love having a sunroof. I love my car and although somedays I wish I had other options I know that I was better off getting the car a little bare than to wait several more months to get more options

Old 02-21-2008, 02:57 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
As long as you will be happy it want matter.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
MFSW doesn't factor in to resale value. especially if youre going with a MT.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Originally Posted by purplefenderman
Dunno man, I'd go with light options.

I have very few options in my base cooper. Just the sport package.

I had a Mazda 6 S Grand Touring sedan (v6) with:
Navigation
CD changer
aux input
tint
leather
every friggen option.

Meaning my car was over $30k new, 28 after cash on the hood.

7 months later after it was wrecked....market value: $14000

Options add NOTHING to resale value!
I was lucky i did huge downpayment and principal payments and wasnt upside down on it getting my mini.

it also wasnt great that ford decided to stop selling their garbage to rental fleets and instead dumped something like 50% of mazda's capacity into rental fleets to prop up their sagging numbers. Thanks a pantload ford! go and de-value the only division you own that makes you money! they made $244M profit overseas, $204M coming from mazda. yeah.

Be careful with heavy options. navigation costs 2000 from the dealer, but time to re-sell and they say it's worth maybe 150 bux because you can buy a tomtom

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
ouch!!! i'm gonna guess that the mazda 6's have not held their value very well? my 04 mazda3 5 door was purchased for about $18.6k and when it was totaled in Dec it was valued at about $13.6k. Needless to say, I was happy as that is definitely more than I would have gotten on a private party sale.

Anyway...my advice - get the car how you want it and how it makes you happy NOW. you never know what will happen down the road. do what is most reasonable for your enjoyment now

Old 02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
Anyway...my advice - get the car how you want it and how it makes you happy NOW. you never know what will happen down the road. do what is most reasonable for your enjoyment now
word. and on top of that....remember that the mini cooper is one the TOP cars that has the highest resale....assuming it doesn't get wrecked.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 PM
purplefenderman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ambrosia
ouch!!! i'm gonna guess that the mazda 6's have not held their value very well? my 04 mazda3 5 door was purchased for about $18.6k and when it was totaled in Dec it was valued at about $13.6k. Needless to say, I was happy as that is definitely more than I would have gotten on a private party sale.

You are correct! they dont!

The 6 gets sold in great numbers to rental fleets for whatever reason...

It's a GREAT car! I just wish it didnt lose half its value in 7 months. I think the reason behind it, in some small part, is that it's assembled in flat rock michigan by the UAW as opposed to almost all other mazdas, which are made in Hiroshima, Japan.
The reasoning behind the payout was that 'you can go to any car lot and find new 6s with cash on the hood or used lots with tons of rental returns'
they are soft cars. I'd have kept it for 7 years if I could have. F'n hit & runs.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go with the barebones and save the options money for that mod bug your soon to catch!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I think minimal options are the hot ticket. Less cost, less weight, less complexity, and similar resale to a fully loaded MINI. That said, I'd put money that you're not going to want to sell your MINI for a long time!

My R56 was equipped with just the basics: anthracite headliner, MFSW, and LSD. After driving a non-factory LSD R56 and relishing the much improved steering feel, I'd toss that and get the Xenon's instead.

My R53 has only one option: the sport package. Back then it was Xenon's, Fog's, DSC, and 17" wheels. The last one got swapped out for some real tires and light wheels [1st gen runflats sucked!]

Lastly, I feel it's most important to order the car exactly how you want it. Don't get too wrapped up in the last detail of practicality or being overly pragmatic. It's supposed to be fun, not a chore!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
donato
3rd Gear
As some other have said, you're more likely to get a much higher % of your money back with a lightly optioned car.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
I bought a lightly optioned MINI off the lots at Cincinnati MINI. As they put it they had the options that they find they pretty much need to sell the cars and that was:
sunroof
multifunction wheel (cruise control)
heat seats (doesnt get that cold here but we have winter and people like this apparently)
rain sensing wipers

I have the cloth seats. Only option I would say that I wish I had now is the LSD, but that is just because I autocross and it could help just for that. Otherwise the Mini is still a "premium" car there is plenty of stuff that comes with it.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:08 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Bought an MC with bonnet stripes, multi-function steering wheel, rear fog light (I've always thought they were a good idea since I first saw them in Germany) and three rubber floor mats. Guess that's stripped down. Didn't see any other options that I needed. Decided that all the other stuff could be done after-market at a better price and at least equal quality (if not better).

The first thing I want to do is not even an option from the factory--I want to convert the rear window wiper/washer into a squirt gun. Will do that for resale.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
CaptainCradicles
2nd Gear
I have a stripped Mini Cooper Classic. Only sold in Canada. The regular 2007 MINI comes with DSC and Xenon, mine doesn't.

I get a few options that the States does not including multi function steering wheel with cruise control.

Only options are front and rear fog lights and seated heats. No bonnet stripes, no roof option. Nothing. Advantage is low payment and less can go wrong.

I was cross-shopping Mazda 3's, VW Rabbit, Honda Civic etc...

The MINI had a CD player, Air Conditioning and Air Bags. That was my prerequisite and I got everything and more in the basic MINI. I love it.

My next MINI will be loaded though because I will be able to afford it. This time was basic fun transportation. Great car in basic format. I can live without the other options because all that mattered was getting from point A to B. Yes, the Cooper S with sweet sporty options would be the bee's knees. It just didn't fit my priorities.

If you do want to keep the cost down then do it. But if you would get rid of it earlier because a lack of options then I would spring for it.

The fog lights are great for driving in the city at night. You see the whole road in front of the car.

Heated seats are great but I rarely use them. Girls like them though.

The Multi-Function Steering Wheel is cool for adjusting volume and tracks but I rarely use it. Cruise Control is a waste too but it came with the car.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM
J_D
3rd Gear
Just limited slip 4 me and i'm happy.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:18 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Your logic is sound. I bought my R56 just about as bare-boned as I could. I did want the sunroof, and heated seats, which of course meant adding and couple of packages, and I have to admit the keyless package is neat though maybe not worth $500. Where I saved a bundle though... cloth seats! They are comfy and saved $1500 - $2000 over the leather, enough to pay for decent wheels once I figure out what I want.

As to resale, you'll be able to sell your MINI just as easily as any other, but it will be to someone like yourself, who wants a MINI with less options.

Quick Reply: R56 Barebones optioned MINI: a no-no?