R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Advice On to Buy or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 AM
rai-zero
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice On to Buy or Not?

first post..

I have read a lot of threads so far but just got here yesterday so not everything. Sorry if this is a bad question.

I just wanted to get some ideas about if the Mini S is for me.

--

-do you guys feel save in the Mini? I know the mini got good crash tests but it's on the small side so I wonder if that's in the back of you mind especially on the HW. Does it get blown around or feel like its a risk?

I know this is a hard question since obviously all think its safe enough. Also I own a S2000 so I mean that's the same deal (small) but the Mini actually weighs 200-ish lbs less than the S2000 makes me wonder if I should rather look at a GTi or Si.

-room, do you guys think the mini is too mini? I mean rear seats are they OK for kids? Again the GTI comes to mind. But part of the size is a double edged sword meaning the GTi has more size/mass so it's not as easy to toss around and worse gas mileage etc.. The GTi is heavy (I believe 3300 lbs-ish) so that's very heavy then we have the Si kind of in the middle of the GTi - Mini S.

-

cars I am thinking of is the Mini S, RX-8, Si, GTi (-- I could get for $22K to $27K).

RX8 probably has more room in the rear seat (not roomie like the mini with the seats folded down) but people room probably the RX-8 is better?

I know the RX8 gets much worse gas mileage cty/hw combined average arounf 19.5 mpg so while they could cost similar the RX8 would cost more to drive.

I plan to keep my S2000 so I might lean towards a Mini/GTi/Si since fwd and I'd use it more often in rain/snow. Not that we get a lot of snow but a few days a year.

I am looking for a Mini S mainly as a cheap and fun little car. I say cheap b/c if I didn't get one of the cars above, I would be looking at a EVO/STi ($35K)or maybe a 335i (which is $45K while I could get a Mini for $25K) big difference.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
I feel very safe. It handles wonderful so you can make quick moves to get out of the way. I don't feel it getting blown on the highway, however I don't stay behind big truck either. If the Mind is for two people and something a kid in the back you will be fine. I have a 12 year old and he is fine in the back for a short time. It's mostly a two seater.
The Mini S is a great car. Go drive several at your dealership.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The mini dealer should have this report (i'm not sure if
the gov did it or somebody else) on the mini has the least
fatalities per million miles driven of any vehicle since 1991.

The death rates in the monster trucks are unreal.

Anyway, you could get it and check all the cars you
are considering.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
MiniPol
4th Gear
Ms. Brahms (my 2007 MCS) is a BLAST to drive... feel safer in her than in the Passat that my son has. Does not get blown around in the wind and I (at about 6') have no problem sitting in the rear.... haven't regretted anything yet about owning an MCS.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am amazed by how well the Mini handles on the highway. Last week, I was driving back from NJ in winds gusting to 75 MPG. I hardly felt them. Crossing the bridge over the Patuxent River, other cars had to slow considerably due to the side winds. I barely felt it in the Mini. Passing trucks at speed doesn't even shimmy the car a little.

Obviosly, the car is no limo, but we had plenty of room for my 5'1" daughter in the back and 3 overnight bags in the boot.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
JohnBLZ
5th Gear
Get the MINI, they are SOLID vehicles. You'll find a wrecked MINI forum on here if you hunt around and will see multiple examples of people swearing by their MINI's.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rai-zero
first post..

I have read a lot of threads so far but just got here yesterday so not everything. Sorry if this is a bad question.

I just wanted to get some ideas about if the Mini S is for me.

--

-do you guys feel save in the Mini? I know the mini got good crash tests but it's on the small side so I wonder if that's in the back of you mind especially on the HW. Does it get blown around or feel like its a risk?

I know this is a hard question since obviously all think its safe enough. Also I own a S2000 so I mean that's the same deal (small) but the Mini actually weighs 200-ish lbs less than the S2000 makes me wonder if I should rather look at a GTi or Si.

-room, do you guys think the mini is too mini? I mean rear seats are they OK for kids? Again the GTI comes to mind. But part of the size is a double edged sword meaning the GTi has more size/mass so it's not as easy to toss around and worse gas mileage etc.. The GTi is heavy (I believe 3300 lbs-ish) so that's very heavy then we have the Si kind of in the middle of the GTi - Mini S.

-

cars I am thinking of is the Mini S, RX-8, Si, GTi (-- I could get for $22K to $27K).

RX8 probably has more room in the rear seat (not roomie like the mini with the seats folded down) but people room probably the RX-8 is better?

I know the RX8 gets much worse gas mileage cty/hw combined average arounf 19.5 mpg so while they could cost similar the RX8 would cost more to drive.

I plan to keep my S2000 so I might lean towards a Mini/GTi/Si since fwd and I'd use it more often in rain/snow. Not that we get a lot of snow but a few days a year.

I am looking for a Mini S mainly as a cheap and fun little car. I say cheap b/c if I didn't get one of the cars above, I would be looking at a EVO/STi ($35K)or maybe a 335i (which is $45K while I could get a Mini for $25K) big difference.
I have an RX-8. If you are looking for gas mileage DO NOT GET THIS. I love the car to death and would probably buy one again (to use as a second car) but I only get between 16 and 17 MPG in the city. The best I've gotten was 22 MPG on the freeway. Plus, it's rear wheel drive and horrendous on the snow. Two of the main reasons I'm trading mine in for a 2008 MCS!!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:39 AM
R56 MCS
1st Gear
Have you looked at the Clubman? It'll give you more room for the passenger in the back.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM
rai-zero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
I have an RX-8. If you are looking for gas mileage DO NOT GET THIS. I love the car to death and would probably buy one again (to use as a second car) but I only get between 16 and 17 MPG in the city. The best I've gotten was 22 MPG on the freeway. Plus, it's rear wheel drive and horrendous on the snow. Two of the main reasons I'm trading mine in for a 2008 MCS!!
I do not care a lot about the gas mileage but that's one part of the picture. I mean the RX8 currently has about $3K off MSRP (at my no haggle dealership) so the Mini (it seems is more sticking to MSRP) that $3K if it's put in your pocket would buy 1-2 years of gas, or the mileage difference b/t a RX8 and a Mini S would take a long time to pass $3K saving. But it's true the Mini is cheaper to begin with so after discounts on the RX8 they are close to the same or the Mini is cheaper.

the part that seems more against the RX8 is what you said about snow. I plan to keep my S2000 so there is not any big benifit in the snow with the RX8.

Plus IDK but the Mini has more airbags and top crash tests not sure about the RX8

Old 02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rai-zero
I do not care a lot about the gas mileage but that's one part of the picture. I mean the RX8 currently has about $3K off MSRP (at my no haggle dealership) so the Mini (it seems is more sticking to MSRP) that $3K if it's put in your pocket would buy 1-2 years of gas, or the mileage difference b/t a RX8 and a Mini S would take a long time to pass $3K saving. But it's true the Mini is cheaper to begin with so after discounts on the RX8 they are close to the same or the Mini is cheaper.

the part that seems more against the RX8 is what you said about snow. I plan to keep my S2000 so there is not any big benifit in the snow with the RX8.

Plus IDK but the Mini has more airbags and top crash tests not sure about the RX8
Anything over a dusting of snow and I'm basically risking getting into an accident when I drive the RX-8. No exaggeration either. Granted, I don't have snow tires on it but I do have all weather tires and I have a lot of experience driving in the snow.

Very fun car but I'd pick the MCS any day over the RX-8.

Plus, if you're looking for low-end torque (power from the stop-sign) you won't find ANY in the RX-8. The RX-8 is a rev machine (the rotary engine is smooth as silk) but it has no power from a standing stop. The performance does not justify the terrible MPG. Otherwise, I wouldn't think of trading it. Like I said, I love the car, it's looks, the way it handles on dry (twisty turny) roads; but I can't live with the MPG and it's terrible handling on slick roads. It's probably the worst car I've ever had for snow driving.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The MCS feels more stable in cross-winds than my Acura Integra, and vastly more stable than an old Dodge van I used to own. One of the problems with the MCS is that it is so stable and secure at high speeds that I have to watch carefully to keep from going way too fast. As others have commented, it is easy to get going 90 mph without realizing it.

The MINI seems to be well designed for safety. There have been a number of threads here about accidents people have been in with their MINIs and the common comment is how well the MINI protected them.

The only thing small about the MINI is its length. It is taller than many sedans, and definitely not narrow.

I suspect that your S2000 is much less safe than the MINI.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:21 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I suspect that your S2000 is much less safe than the MINI.
Thats definitely true. I test drove an S2000 when I was shopping around, it felt tiny. I'm only 6'1" and I felt extremely cramped, and my wife, who is only 5'3" felt the same way. The MINI feels larger in every way compared to the S2000.

Have you test driven one yet? If not, I would suggest doing that first, as it will dispel almost all of your concerns.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
We all bought one........ or two.......... or more in some cases...

Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM
PistWalrus
2nd Gear
I feel safer in my MCS than in my 05 Accord. I also have way more legroom in the Mini (I'm 6'4"). In my opinion the back seat is useless unless you are going for a very short drive. I leave my seats down most of the time and just have a lot of cargo room.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Babul03
2nd Gear
1. To me, my MCS feels sturdy and well-planted. If road noise and a smooth ride are important to you, I think that the VW GTI is smoother and quieter.

2. As far as the rear seats go, I can fit my parents back there (my Dad is about 5'7'' 150 lbs and my Mom is about 5'2'' and would kill me if I guessed her weight). Even with a full car, we can all sit in relative comfort.

3. I reallllllly love my car, but the GTI is a great car too. IMO, the RX-8 doesn't compare with these 2 cars. Hope that helps some. Good Luck!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I'll throw in my 2cents...
I drive a 2001 Dodge Durango, very sure footed in all aspects. Awful gas mileage, but I get blown around in high winds crossing the Glenn Jackson Bridge into OR. When I test drove the MINI that was one of my biggest concerns that it would feel loose and under weight. BUT no, on our Test Drive I was very comfortable driving in an unfamiliar area with 6"+ of snow on the ground. She handled beautifully...so much so that I have an
08 MC on order.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
r56mini
6th Gear

Last edited by r56mini; 05-19-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is this, but lots of speculation on it when Googled.

http://bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTe...perVsFordF150/

Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Hey r56mini!! Mini High-5 Wonder if we've passed eachother? My Mini is on order . She'll be here Mid-May.

Happy Motorin'

Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 AM
rai-zero
1st Gear
thanks guys, I did a nice test drive yesterday with a Mini S with MT. I actually took it on 2 test drives, the first 12 minutes (?) don't know but when I got back I asked if I could take it out again and so we went out for another 15 minutes good back roads and HW.

The day yesterday was very damp and low temp (near freezing) so I got a good idea about how it drives on less than perfect roads.

I really liked the way the car drives, good pick-up, good/great handling, well isolated for a small car, felt safe and definatly liked the looks.

What I didn't like was the rear seat. I know I should not worry a lot about that since I don't use it much, but I'm tall so it would be hard for anyone to sit behind me. I have the seat all the way back when I drive if I wanted to put a child behind me I'd have to move the seat way up and would not be good position for me.

Also (IMO) the car suffers for the price. I went to test a Si civic and like that almost as much. It was maybe a little less up-scale but the power was good and it handles good, plus the sedan can get for $21K while the Mini S with LSD and DSC, armrest and cruise control (all standard on the Si) would be $23K, and for me I'd get paint, CA, ipod/bluetooth and HIDs and so my Mini S would be $25K.

I know I should not count items against the Mini that cost extra such as the CA and HIDs. But the point is I could not buy a Mini without a few features CA (etc.) so to me part of the Mini is being able to get some nice options. And to me the Mini S at $25,500 (my build cost) is $4000 or 4500 more than the Si and I can get a Si sedan for the same cost as the coupe but the Mini Clubman (still not as roomie as the Si) costs another $2K (?) so it would be $27K (?) just putting that much more distance in the price from the Si

Part of the reason I am looking at the Si or the Mini is to get a nice car but also low price. I could not honestly buy a no-option Mini S which would put the price on par with the Si (the Si has included LSD and Stability control, cruise, sunroof, armrest etc.). The only Mini S I would buy is optioned to $25,500 which is starting to look expensive (to me) especially with the Si having a full size rear seat for $21K.

I don't have anything aginst the Mini S, I think it's a super nice car but just I am not willing to pay the option/price (I don't think) especially with no discounts and no special finance, the Si has 2.9% effectivle costing $1500 or $2K less than a mini would even if they started at the same cost so $4K +$2K, I did a calculation Si with low financing interest, +tax = total cost $23,500 while the Mini S with my options and 6.9% finance +tax was $30K total cost.

I also drove a 328i (mini dealer was just next door to the BMW) and for $33K I can get a full-size rear seat in the sedan. I know that's $8K to $10K more but the point is if I'm looking at the Si on the one hand and have to pay $4K more for the mini than on the other foot having to pay $8K more for the 328i is just another step I think the 3-series is really a nice car all-around.

Last edited by rai-zero; 02-24-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:44 AM
KevM
4th Gear
I don't get your logic with the Mini pricing.

But I buy as much on passion as I do on logic.

If your car is nothing more than an appliance, so be it, buy on price.

But if you buy for enjoyment, then that's a totally different issue.

There's simply no comparing the Honda and the Mini from a visceral driving experience standpoint.

Now as for buying without options etc, you can always order one (at least I've had tremendous luck with factory ordering cars over the years, including our Mini) and get exactly what you want.

As for the 3-series, that's a whole other can of worms. Nothing wrong with the 3-series if that's what you're looking for, at least it is a driver's car as well and offers a lot in that way.

Best o' luck with your search and decision...

K

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 AM
rai-zero
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KevM
I don't get your logic with the Mini pricing.

But I buy as much on passion as I do on logic.

There's simply no comparing the Honda and the Mini from a visceral driving experience standpoint.

Best o' luck with your search and decision...
of course I am not trying to convert anyone, but have you driven the Si?

I drive them both 20-25 min in each and the Si is not put in the shade by the MINI S (IMO) this is the Civic Si which is a well done modification to a good base Civic

here is what C&D said about the Si
Highs: Willing and unflappable chassis, dogged refusal to understeer, life beyond 6000 rpm, attractive base price.

The Honda resists understeer with a tenacity lacking in other front-drive cars. It almost always will happily tighten its line with the mere application of more steering.
from R&T
the secret to the Si's success is how well its engine and chassis work together. The chassis' poise, in particular, stands above the others, seemingly unruffled by anything thrown its way. Unlike the Mini, which is at its best on track, or the GTI, which excels in town but requires more attention at track speeds, the Si's chassis dynamics remain consistent under all driving conditions.

Its limited-slip differential remains the class of the field, allowing the Civic to put its power to the ground more effectively than the other two. (GTi and Mini S)

Our navigation-equipped test car represents the screaming deal of the three, coming in at $22,490, thousands less than the more option-laden Volks-wagen and Mini.

It looks good, drives even better and represents the best value of the bunch.The Civic Si finished up second because it did everything well, but didn't do enough really well to knock off the GTI. While undoubtedly the most balanced and versatile handler, its lack of torque cost it tenths at the test track(s) and affected its flexibility around town. For those who appreciate Honda's VTEC approach to 4-cylinder power, none of this may matter, as the '06 Si still possesses one gem of an engine powering the company's best-ever front-drive chassis.
if it matters, about the cost it seems as if we're talking a few grand (2-3 grand more for the Mini) my point is the rear seats of the Si sedan are just like a normal car. My point is the sedan is a no-cost feature for the Si. Look at Mini they are charging $2K if you want a slightly larger rear seat I don't like the barn doors and I don't like the 3rd half-door on the clubman or the extra cost.

The Si will sell for under MSRP (a bit) and has 2.9% finance. low finance is the same as cash off. Impossible to find a mini near the cost of a Si (especially as I said with LSD and Stability control which adds $1K to the Cooper and is free with the Si).

Last edited by rai-zero; 02-24-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 AM
timchengabe
2nd Gear
Car feels safe and stable. We have a 2yr old son and we fit fine with all his stuff... Good luck ..

Old 02-24-2008, 06:22 AM
rai-zero
1st Gear
what I was trying to say may not be explaining it well, is for me the Si or Mini are low price alternitives to a car like the 3-series. So the key is low price. I don't want to get 80% a 3-series cos then almost just as well spend the rest and get a 3-series.

I liked both the Si and the Misn S. I look at the cost and the Si is cheaper without doubt, even both no options the Si is cheaper cos dealers are going under MSRP plus low interest loans.

What I like about the Si (more) than the Mini S is that it's got real normal rear seats can't get that on a Mini at any cost.

What I like more about the Mini S is that you can get a feature like Comfort Acess and Bluetooth and HIDs (etc..) all nice features but they all cost money so if I got the things I want (plus LSD and stability control and armrest and sunroof and cruise control -- all that is standard equipment on the Si) then I would be looking at a Mini S that costs 20% more than the Si (or 20% less than the 3-series).

Last edited by rai-zero; 02-24-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Nightsky
2nd Gear
Sounds like your mind is made up and you'll be enjoying your new SI. Honda makes great products. I've had a few of their motorcycles and we presently have a 2003 Civic Hybrid (daughter's) in the drive way. No complaints.

My mother is moving back to Ohio and I'm in the process of selling that property. That will free up funds to get the wife a new economical car. She loves driving my MCS but is quite excited at the idea of having her very own Clubman in a few months.

Minis aren't for everyone but are totally irresistable to some of us.

Quick Reply: R56 Advice On to Buy or Not?