R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do People Miss Having a Temperature Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
NoModMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...water temp and oil temp is sorely missed....more data is always better than less for a serious driver

Old 02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Whether the drivers want it or not the engineers thought we don't need one. I am just thankful to have the dipstick at this point. The newer models won't and you all will have to take the car in for an oil change.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:58 PM
rikmeister
3rd Gear
next thing they will make tires without a stem to add air. shssssssssssh

Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by r56mini
Whether the drivers want it or not the engineers thought we don't need one. I am just thankful to have the dipstick at this point. The newer models won't and you all will have to take the car in for an oil change.
How would this work? Some engines consume oil, some don't (can be the same model engine, etc). I assume if the car had no dipstick or other method of checking the oil (my 911 has an oil level gauge & dipstick for example), the car would just have a light to tell you oil is too low and take a trip to the dealer. I would assume if they eliminated the dipstick, they would probably also not let you add oil by yourself so any warning you would get about it being too low would just be a "stop driving; have it towed to dealer" type of warning light.

On cars without dipsticks (I think some one on here mentioned a BMW without them now), how does the tech at the dealer know when the oil is at the right level? Some kind of hidden dipstick some where?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
How would this work? Some engines consume oil, some don't (can be the same model engine, etc). I assume if the car had no dipstick or other method of checking the oil (my 911 has an oil level gauge & dipstick for example), the car would just have a light to tell you oil is too low and take a trip to the dealer. I would assume if they eliminated the dipstick, they would probably also not let you add oil by yourself so any warning you would get about it being too low would just be a "stop driving; have it towed to dealer" type of warning light.

On cars without dipsticks (I think some one on here mentioned a BMW without them now), how does the tech at the dealer know when the oil is at the right level? Some kind of hidden dipstick some where?
I dont think that this will ever happen, think about it. how would the manufacturer warranty something that you cant even do preventive maintenance on, or even check to avoid them having to foot the bill for a new motor.
Ide bet money of it never happening.
did you actually see this written somewhere? ide love to see it.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:18 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Temp and oil pressure guages would be great (with needles and dials making them easy to read at a glance). Come to think of it, so would a compass. I am very surprised these were omitted.

To be honest, I'd gladly trade the huge speedo for a guage package.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Luvyellow
Temp and oil pressure guages would be great (with needles and dials making them easy to read at a glance). Come to think of it, so would a compass. I am very surprised these were omitted.

To be honest, I'd gladly trade the huge speedo for a guage package.
The compass is a $2100 option. It replaces the speedo with a NAV.

It would be nice if you could set the NAV screen to display things like coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost...

Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 PM
ajabbari
2nd Gear
This was a bit surprising to me as well. Then I noticed that the 3-series I was getting as loaners did not have the temp gauge either so it looks like a general BMW thing. I haven't really driven around in BMWs for long enough to know when they started deleting this 'feature'.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
astra
4th Gear
I am putting a Dash Hawk in my R55...

I have a scanguage 2 in my Pontiac..

the do different things...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
nrc
2nd Gear
I find the lack of a temperature guage very annoying. I don't like to drive a car hard until it's warmed up and it doesn't seem to like it either. :/ I also like to know when I can actually get heat from the heater instead of having it blow cold air on my feet.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slag1911
My 2006 R53 had a fully functional gauge...

And having a turbo charged automobile without a temperature gauge is actually quite pathetic when you think about it... what was BMW thinking?
\

Unless you added your own after market gauge it did not . As others have noted ,and BMW fully admits to , the " gauge " is actually a 3 position idiot system . The component started out life as a real gauge but before the 02 run was done they had so many issues with people over reacting that they modified them to turn it into nothing more than cold , running temp, and you just fried the motor positions. How perfect that you actually believed it . Still trolling the boards without even having a Mini ?

Old 02-25-2008, 12:52 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
My 911 has no dipstick. Yes, I agree it's idiotic. It does have an electronic oil level readout but there is absolutely no way to verify it short of draining the oil and measuring it. This absurdity is something I'd expect from BMW but not Porsche.

As just pointed out, the R53's gauge was fake -- more like an idiot gauge. We can blame customers who can't be bothered to learn anything about how car engines behave for that. (I suspect it's the same reason they got rid of the 911's dipstick -- reading a dipstick was deemed "too mentally challenging" for the Starbucks crowd)

fwiw, I would also miss the fuel gauge if I were to buy an R56 (which I refuse to do on multiple grounds... )

Originally Posted by muladesigns1
I dont think that this will ever happen, think about it. how would the manufacturer warranty something that you cant even do preventive maintenance on, or even check to avoid them having to foot the bill for a new motor.
Ide bet money of it never happening.
did you actually see this written somewhere? ide love to see it.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the temp guage on my '04MC, R50, will gradually and smoothly at start-up rise slowly to operating temp over about 5 minutes on a cold morning. It stays at the midway position thereafter....are you saying that if it were to overheat, the needle wouldn't gradually go up but would suddenly jump to the top and that lil light will come on, so there would be no warning of approaching an overheating situation?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
fwiw, I would also miss the fuel gauge if I were to buy an R56 (which I refuse to do on multiple grounds... )
My sportbike has no fuel gauge. I use one of it's trip meters to keep track of mileage between fill ups. It's really not a big deal. It has a light that comes on with a certain amount of fuel left. It has a digital readout for the temperature though. I'd prefer temp over fuel level.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
Unless you added your own after market gauge it did not . As others have noted ,and BMW fully admits to , the " gauge " is actually a 3 position idiot system . The component started out life as a real gauge but before the 02 run was done they had so many issues with people over reacting that they modified them to turn it into nothing more than cold , running temp, and you just fried the motor positions. How perfect that you actually believed it . Still trolling the boards without even having a Mini?
Your wrong... the R53 temperature gauge is fully functional...

I'm not sure what you read... but my experience mirrors these 2 posters experience:

Originally Posted by greengobln
i believe it does. my 04 S has risen to 3/4 a few times and both times there was an actual issue i discovered before it was too late. the first time i needed a thermostat and the second time the dealership did my flush and forgot to add enough radiator fluid. therefore i believe it does.
Originally Posted by umberto
the temp guage on my '04MC, R50, will gradually and smoothly at start-up rise slowly to operating temp over about 5 minutes on a cold morning. It stays at the midway position thereafter....are you saying that if it were to overheat, the needle wouldn't gradually go up but would suddenly jump to the top and that lil light will come on, so there would be no warning of approaching an overheating situation?

Last edited by slag1911; 02-25-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
well said umberto

mine gradually rose to about 3/4 when i was having trouble. the only reason it didn't keep going im assuming is because i shut down the car. so is there a capicator installed to get the needle reading to move at that pace instead of frantically rising and dropping? just wondering. i realize it is an electronic guage with an analog readout but thats not the same thing as an idiot light. do you understand that?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
It's controlled by a computer. It's been programmed to rise gradually to the midpoint under normal usage. It'll then stay exactly at center unless it starts to overheat abnormally and then the needle will be commanded to go to a higher-than-center (3/4) position. If it gets even hotter, it'll be told to go to the highest reading and the light will also be told to come on.

All this automation just to avoid having the gauge track the small coolant temperature changes which normally occur as engine load changes.

If you don't believe it's not a direct-measurement gauge, watch the gauge as the engine load changes -- eg, coasting down a long hill vs climbing up a long hill. In a car with a real gauge, you would see the water temp gauge move slightly during the descent and ascent but in the R56 the gauge will remain perfectly (and artificially) centered. It's an idiot gauge!

Edit: btw, I'm guessing about the 3/4 position -- it might just move to the upper extreme if it overheats. I've owned two MCSes and have never seen the needle move away from the exact center position once it gets there -- snowy mountain areas, scorching desert areas, the coolant temp has always remained PERFECT!

Last edited by 911Fan; 02-25-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks 911FAN...yeah, mine also is always in the perfect middle position once it has reached operating temp.....well, at least I can expectantly watch the needle as it rises to that midpoint to let me know when I can turn the heat on to warm up the car...so I guess half a gauge is better than none

Old 02-25-2008, 12:18 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
thanks 911FAN...yeah, mine also is always in the perfect middle position once it has reached operating temp.....well, at least I can expectantly watch the needle as it rises to that midpoint to let me know when I can turn the heat on to warm up the car...so I guess half a gauge is better than none
Mine registered slightly less that center in winter... and slightly above center in summer... exactly as expected...

And Greengobln's gauge also functioned correctly... to the point of indicating cooling problems twice.

Obviously it's not a "3 position" idiot light as others have suggested... and it certainly is far superior to the binary idiot light that comes with the R56.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rhawth99
I have a 'real' temperature gauge, it's called the chrono package and includes a real oil pressure and oil temperature gauge too. I was hoping that BMW would offer something like this for the Clubman.
I have the chrono pack too. I was disappointed that it was not offered on the 2nd gens. I would have to have some type of aftermarket gauges.

I have had cars with idiot lights in the past. It sucked. I need to know I am overheating, not that I just overheated.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM
torobud
4th Gear
When MINI service tells you to either drive farther or let your car warm up all the way when it is cold outside (to combat frozen throttle valves) - suddenly that lack of a temp gauge becomes VERY obvious...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
I freaked when I was flipping through that section on an '08 MINI and found items renamed and additional information available...it really illustrated that that section can and is being modified and updated!!!
What kind of info did they add? I wonder if this could be retrofitted to the '07 with a software update...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
What year is/was yours?

Mine registered slightly less that center in winter... and slightly above center in summer... exactly as expected...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
What year is/was yours?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Mine were the two previous model years. Someone posted that the gauge originally worked as expected before it was dumbed down. I wonder if Mini was shamed into making it functional again in the 2006 MY.

Maybe some other 2006 owners will chime in with their gauge observations...

Quick Reply: R56 Do People Miss Having a Temperature Gauge?