R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Do People Miss Having a Temperature Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if you miss the gauges so much install them?? Spring Break= Alta Boost gauge and Alta Water Temp Gauge installs...i hear its not hard to do, and from what i can tell they look good too

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
So if you miss the gauges so much install them?? Spring Break= Alta Boost gauge and Alta Water Temp Gauge installs...i hear its not hard to do, and from what i can tell they look good too
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
can i note that when mine rose they didn't go to an exact 3/4 position. the first time i was on a long haul and it was over 3/4 marginally, say1/8to 1/4". the second time i noticed it right away and it didn't hit 3/4 more like 5/8. i'm sure it doesn't register every degree like an analog would but i believe it is more sensitive than 1/2 3/4 full.

in fact my experiences say so.

p.s. i called princeton mini about the issue and my model is the pre 2005 release but my electronics are upgraded but not the motor and such. i was told however that i do have a coated supercharger for the heat. when inquiring about the idiot light i was told that it is an electronic gauge and the programming keeps it at center unless you are 30-40 degrees over/under than it will make moves based on the temp. i hope this helps some people.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
hendricks488
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
Let us know how it turns out.
Will do...should be around the 10th or 11th of March, after it's done i will have pictures and info!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, it's official then!

No thanks to all those owners who complained about having a true gauge...

Originally Posted by greengobln
when inquiring about the idiot light i was told that it is an electronic gauge and the programming keeps it at center unless you are 30-40 degrees over/under than it will make moves based on the temp.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really miss a gauge too much, but I really should study up on what the yellow and red warninigs inticate should I ever see one. That said, I don't stress my MINI much during my normal commute and I live very near the local dealership should any trouble arise.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hendricks488
Will do...should be around the 10th or 11th of March, after it's done i will have pictures and info!
Thanks!! I look forward to it. I hope it's an easy mod, I'm thinking about doing this too.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I definitely wish I had a temp gauge. I nearly lost a BMW engine when the radiator neck snapped (common in BMWs), but I saw the needle rise in time to pull over. I'd like to put in a ScanGauge or its equivalent. I confess I'm waiting for Hubby to do it.

Last edited by daffodildeb; 02-26-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I definitely wish I had a temp gauge. I nearly lost a BMW engine when the radiator neck snapped (common in BMWs), but I saw the needle rise in time to pull over. I'd like to put in a ScanGauge or its equivalent. I confess I'm waiting for Hubby to do it.
Installing the ScanGaugeII is dead simple. You feel around under the dash, just to the left of the steering column for the OBDII socket (it is fairly large). Take the cap off and plug in the ScanGaugeII.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
You don't need to program it into the computer??

Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 AM
NoModMini
2nd Gear
....oil temp ,oil pressure and water temp in the 3-gauge Alta pod....has anybody completed this install?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
You don't need to program it into the computer??
If you mean the MINI's computer, no. IIRC, you do input a few specification of the engine into the ScanGaugeII -- things like number of cylinders, 1.6 liter engine size, etc. It was pretty simple. You can download a PDF of the manual from here:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/

Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
i would like to put in the pod down where my cupholders are. boost gauge, oil temp and pressure. i'm looking for the most covert mods i can do.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Yes I do. A turbocharged car should have a mandatory water temp gauge, not an idiot light. I hope MINI remedies this in a future model update, but for now, extra gauges should be offered as dealer install option.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I did until I installed my Scanguage II.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:22 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I did until I installed my Scanguage II.
I guess the thing that turns me off about the ScanGauge is its looks. Sure, it's very functional and does the job but nothing beats a nice round gauge that matches the tach.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
If you mean the MINI's computer, no. IIRC, you do input a few specification of the engine into the ScanGaugeII -- things like number of cylinders, 1.6 liter engine size, etc. It was pretty simple. You can download a PDF of the manual from here:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/
Super--maybe that will be the nudge that pushes Hubby along...

And I agree with those who say a turboed engine MUST have a gauge!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:52 AM
investigator
4th Gear
The problem, as I see it, with aftermarket gauges is that the sensor is in the wrong place. Correct me if I'm wrong. In the old days of cars with temp gauges the sensor was screwed into the engine block or into the top of the radiator. My understanding of these newer gauges is that they are in a coolant overflow tank or other place where they don't really provide critical coolant temp. I'm very open to correction here if someone has a better handle on this.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
The problem, as I see it, with aftermarket gauges is that the sensor is in the wrong place. Correct me if I'm wrong. In the old days of cars with temp gauges the sensor was screwed into the engine block or into the top of the radiator. My understanding of these newer gauges is that they are in a coolant overflow tank or other place where they don't really provide critical coolant temp. I'm very open to correction here if someone has a better handle on this.
That was one of the reasons I bought the Scangauge II. If the OBDII port can read the water temp, the car already has a sensor somewhere. Adding an additional one for a gauge doesn't make sense to me, especially modifying the coolant tank the way Alta's gauges do. I didn't like the look of the Scangauge, but once in the car I think it looks great and took literally minutes to install.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
On newer BMWs, the temperature gauge is "buffered". That is, the computer adjusts it to read dead-on in the middle of the gauge even if the actual water temperature varies somewhat. Why BMW would do this is known only to the Bavarian engineers who designed it, but I agree that a real gauge showing a real temperature would be best. It's not much help to have an idiot light go off just before your engine overheats. If there's a gradual or intermittent problem, a real gauge would indicate it long before you overheated. Look on the bright side, at least we still get a dipstick!
There are aftermarket gauges that can be mounted either side of the tach for an OEM look, but MINI should really offer an optional gauge cluster. I'd like water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and ammeter, please!

Last edited by miniclubman; 03-09-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
On newer BMWs, the temperature gauge is "buffered". That is, the computer adjusts it to read dead-on in the middle of the gauge even if the actual water temperature varies somewhat. Why BMW would do this is known only to the Bavarian engineers who designed it, but I agree that a real gauge showing a real temperature would be best. It's not much help to have an idiot light go off just before your engine overheats. If there's a gradual or intermittent problem, a real gauge would indicate it long before you overheated. Look on the bright side, at least we still get a dipstick!
There are aftermarket gauges that cna be mounted either side of the tach for an OEM look, but MINI should really offer an optional gauge cluster. I'd like water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and ammeter, please!
According to the maintenance expert who writes a column in various car magazines and is the BMW Car Club of America's answer man in their monthly magazine "Roundel," the temp gauge in BMW's is buffered because they don't want owners to be concerned about variations in engine temp. There was a time many years ago that BMW had big troubles with their water pumps and consequently the temp gauge would skyrocket. I speak from experience.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
GregO
4th Gear
gauges

There are aftermarket gauges that cna be mounted either side of the tach for an OEM look, but MINI should really offer an optional gauge cluster. I'd like water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and ammeter, please!
I agree. I would have opted for a gauge cluster as an option - they used to offer a few with the first gen MINIs, if I remember correctly. I'll probably end up installing an ALTA water T gauge - I just like knowing. Greg

Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
It's not much help to have an idiot light go off just before your engine overheats.
There's nothing sillier than having a "check engine soon" light go off AS the engine fries, either. Don't ask me how I know.

BMW, not MINI. Just as expensive.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
On newer BMWs, the temperature gauge is "buffered". That is, the computer adjusts it to read dead-on in the middle of the gauge even if the actual water temperature varies somewhat.
The ScanGaugeII reading of the OBC is not buffered. Once upto temp, it seems to vary between 220 and 225 F with 222 being typical.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM
CAP'N BILL
1st Gear
Gauges for temp and oil pressure have a long tradition in British sports cars,and for good reason. If you didn't watch your gauges like a hawk in your MGA or MGTD, you were in for nasty surprises. Those cars didn't have idiot lights or warnings, either; so scanning the instrument panel was both a necessity and part of the fun of driving, ..er.. "motoring.."

The Mini is much more reliable and probably doesn't absolutely need them, but needs them if only as a nod to tradition and to give a more complete driving experience.

Quick Reply: R56 Do People Miss Having a Temperature Gauge?