R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 If you had to choose - LSD or DSC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crashton
Not true, I & many like me are still here Robin.
And some aren't here who might have been. More Americans have died in automobile accidents than in wars.

Not everyone needs DSC, as not everyone needs a seatbelt, or airbags, but if you do find yourself in certain cercumstances, they could save your life.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes very sad statistics. Wars are such a waste.

What we need is decent driver education. DSC is not making people better drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was instilling a false sense of security in some drivers. It is good for those who do not posses the skills to handle their cars. But a bit more driver training would be better IMO.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Yes very sad statistics. Wars are such a waste.

What we need is decent driver education. DSC is not making people better drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was instilling a false sense of security in some drivers. It is good for those who do not posses the skills to handle their cars. But a bit more driver training would be better IMO.
I agree with you on driver education. However, I believe that DSC can help any level of driver. I would bet that if you hit black ice at 70 mph you would have a better chance of recovering with DSC than without it.

I found this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-hHWSQhKuc

Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your insightful comments. I guess I'm not the kind of driver that'll need LSD, and I erred on the side of caution. I'm sure I'm going to love driving the MCS (especially after a 92 pick-up!).

Old 02-25-2008, 04:14 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
that is a pretty cool video

in post 21, says understeer is safer..it is considered better to be in an understeer situation rather than in an oversteer situation because most drivers are non-expert (me) and if you are losing control in a skid the immediate reflex is to let up on the gas which if in an understeer situation will increase grip in the front which will correct some of ther understeer and help regain control, whereas letting up in an oversteer will increase loss of control.....at least this is what non-expert me thinks

Last edited by umberto; 02-25-2008 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I agree with you on driver education. However, I believe that DSC can help any level of driver. I would bet that if you hit black ice at 70 mph you would have a better chance of recovering with DSC than without it.
I'll never know. My choice was to not buy it. I'll rely on my skills for now. Someday when MINI puts a higher end stability control system on than what is currently available I may buy it. Or when it's forced on me by big brother, which will happen in a few years.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
kgardnez
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LSD is tops for me

Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Rubbus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kgardnez
LSD is tops for me
I choose beer over LSD any day...

Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Bottoz
3rd Gear
Seeing as how my last fun car had no Power Steering, no Power Brakes, no ABS, and no Traction Control, I choose the LSD. No need for DSC.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I chose LSD, and always switch the ASC off, as I don't want the car to sacrifice my life to save its tires.

I REALLY don't like it when the truck is coming at me and the car decides to take my foot off the gas.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
I chose LSD, and always switch the ASC off, as I don't want the car to sacrifice my life to save its tires.

I REALLY don't like it when the truck is coming at me and the car decides to take my foot off the gas.
^ +1

I have an Ian Cull Auto Up Circuit with track mode. My ASC is off by default now.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bottoz
Seeing as how my last fun car had no Power Steering, no Power Brakes, no ABS, and no Traction Control, I choose the LSD. No need for DSC.
... which begs the question: what was your last fun car?????

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM
minimin
Neutral
I have a MCS without LSD, I am just a daily commute driver and never thought much to do autocross. It's a good option for ppl who race, but for me I rather spend it on other options to make the car look better! maybe like a body kit or the driving lamps.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
DSC to keep your wife from really becoming a window.
You think the wife really wants to become that transparent?
Originally Posted by OldRick

^ +1
That's fine if you're just trying to pull forward in a relatively straight line through an intersection (I turn mine off too for those situations)... but tell me...

What are you going to do when the roads are slick, you hit an unexpected patch of ice or oil, or suddenly swerve to avoid a deer or something, and the car starts spinning out of control? Are you going to start braking one wheel at a time to get back on course? Oh wait... you can't do that? Neither can I. DSC can, and all humans can't.

Sure, you can talk up how you've had much experience handling cars in slide conditions, that you're "trained", or you are better than most drivers... and that may well be true... but it still doesn't change the fact that some of DSC's capabilities exceed yours - unless you plan on installing 3 additional brake pedals (one for each wheel) and training yourself to know which one(s) to use in a split-second.

Don't pigeon-hole good DSC technology simply because there are some troublesome behaviors caused by underlying ASC technology, which comes standard on every MINI manufactured today anyhow.

It's irresponsible to recommend shunning good safety technology to would-be buyers simply because you don't appreciate or understand all of the benefits.

To me, telling everyone "don't buy DSC, it's not worth it" is as much a bad recommendation as "don't buy a car with airbags". No, I'm not kidding... I'd even go so far as to say that DSC is more important because it's active safety technology (avoid the accident altogether) instead of passive safety technology (damage control when accident is already going to occur).

You and your "superior" driving skills may be OK. Whatever. Don't go making bad recommendations for all other drivers based upon your own perception of your own abilities.

This thread asked about DSC, not ASC. Please limit your responses to relevant concerns.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Bottoz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EdsRedMini
... which begs the question: what was your last fun car?????
'tis in the Sig. Ariel Atom.

For those that say you absolutely *need* DSC... well... when it's Icy, slow down. If it's snowy, slow down. Sure, technology is nice... but not mandatory for one to stay safe.

Last edited by Bottoz; 02-25-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Call me irresposible......

Originally Posted by Edge
You think the wife really wants to become that transparent? That's fine if you're just trying to pull forward in a relatively straight line through an intersection (I turn mine off too for those situations)... but tell me...

What are you going to do when the roads are slick, you hit an unexpected patch of ice or oil, or suddenly swerve to avoid a deer or something, and the car starts spinning out of control? Are you going to start braking one wheel at a time to get back on course? Oh wait... you can't do that? Neither can I. DSC can, and all humans can't.

Sure, you can talk up how you've had much experience handling cars in slide conditions, that you're "trained", or you are better than most drivers... and that may well be true... but it still doesn't change the fact that some of DSC's capabilities exceed yours - unless you plan on installing 3 additional brake pedals (one for each wheel) and training yourself to know which ones to use in a split-second.

Don't pigeon-hole good DSC technology simply because there are some troublesome behaviors caused by underlying ASC technology, which comes standard on every MINI manufactured today anyhow.

It's irresponsible to recommend shunning good safety technology to would-be buyers simply because you don't appreciate or understand all of the benefits.

To me, telling everyone "don't buy DSC, it's not worth it" is as much a bad recommendation as "don't buy a car with airbags". No, I'm not kidding... I'd even go so far as to say that DSC is more important because it's active safety technology (avoid the accident altogether) instead of passive safety technology (damage control when accident is already going to occur).

You and your "superior" driving skills may be OK. Whatever. Don't go making bad recommendations for all other drivers based upon your own perception of your own abilities.

This thread asked about DSC, not ASC. Please limit your responses to relevant concerns.
My response earlier in this thread did address the OP's question.

The LSD was the right call for me. Yep I spent my money on LSD. Lots of folks love DSC & feel it's a great safety feature. I'm happy not to have it & they're happy they do.
Where did I recommend the OP not get DSC?? Hmmm???

If you just street drive your car you will get along just fine without the LSD. I track my MINI & that made the decision for me.
Lots of folks love DSC. That's great for them. Some even feel it is a suitable substitute for driving skills. I don't fall into that camp.

I'm guessing some folks are wondering how I haven't been killed yet. Driving DSC-less like I do. Just chalk it up to luck if you want.

Man aren't these DCS threads fun?

Last edited by Crashton; 02-25-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
For my last car which was a RWD, the DSC saved me many times and all BMW's have that. But for a FWD, it is an option because of the obvious reasons. Like Edge said, it is like an airbag - you might or might not need it. In 18 years of driving, I have never needed an airbag but I feel better with it in my car.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
You think the wife really wants to become that transparent?
Oops. Corrected.

That's fine if you're just trying to pull forward in a relatively straight line through an intersection (I turn mine off too for those situations)... but tell me...

Nice post.

Some folk are such skilled drivers that deer don't jump out in front of them, SUVs never cut them off, cars in front of them never get flat tires and lose control, items never fall off of trucks, black ice does not form, and they can react within a few milliseconds while normal mortals take about a second.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bottoz
For those that say you absolutely *need* DSC... well... when it's Icy, slow down. If it's snowy, slow down. Sure, technology is nice... but not mandatory for one to stay safe.
Yea, and slow down to 25 when driving through country that has deer. Don't drive on roads that have other drivers on them.

As I said earlier in this thread, you don't need DSC, as you don't need seatbelts or airbags, if you are lucky. When your luck runs out, these items can be useful.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Why do you insist that everyone needs what you feel you do? You like DSC & that's great for you. I do not like it & that is my great for me. Live & let live eh?.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
My vote would be DSC.Q

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
I really appreciate reading everyone's input on this question. I didn't mean to be a trouble maker

Some decisions about the MCS were easy for me to make - mainly the aesthetics, but others were clearly related to performance and safety. I am certainly NOT a performance driver, but I do try to be an aware and conscious driver, and I wanted to be able to commune with my car

I imagined that I would want to experiment a bit with the ko-kart handling/driving, and challenge myself a bit on taking the corners. Please understand that I'm just a wee girlie, and challenge myself doesn't mean track, it just means going a bit faster and seeing what the drive is like - you know, trying the car a bit Given my lack of experience, I thought the DSC might come in handy.

I realize I have a lot to learn, and the MINI has inspired me to want more knowledge about how some of the performance options actually work, and what they do for you as a driver. (my husband's a bit shocked at this obsession!).

As I've read on, I'm coming to the opinion that having a limited budget, given the kind of driver I am, then DSC was right. But...if I had to do it over, for $500, I think I'd also get the LSD

Of course, I now have a question about torque steer - see a new post

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
starting to repeat this one: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=122668

DSC is just a personal decision. One that I will start to get annoyed with turning off all the time once the new laws take effect. I just prefer the car actually respond to my inputs all the time.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliXer
LSD is meant to be performance, DSC is safety. If you dont even plan on turning the traction control you'll never be driving the car to the point where the LSD is useful. The traction control will stop a drive wheel from spinning by using the brakes, but the LSD will lock and torque bias. Majority of mini owners will not need the LSD, if you did you would know you need it.
LSD is not just a performance item. In any condition of reduced traction; water, snow, ice, sand, paint stripes, oil, etc. etc. the LSD will help get the torque to the ground and too the wheels with traction. The factory LSD is not a "locking" differential. It can only transfer a 25% torque differential between the front wheels. This does not sound like much but it is noticable and welcome.

Any MINI owner that lives in the "snow belt" would benefit from a LSD. As Surlycat lives in southern CA, unless she drives to the mountains, I do not think she would need the LSD and has spent her money wisely on the DSC.

For myself, I do live in the "snow belt" and I chose to have both the LSD and DSC. One of the things that I learned after receiving my '06 MCS is that the DSC threshold, at least the traction control portion, has been modified with the addition of the LSD when compared with my previous '02 MCS that only had the DSC. I find that the DSC, traction control portion, activates much less frequently on my '06 MCS. The dynamic portion seems to be about the same with and without the LSD.

All I know is that if I forget to turn off the DSC before I do an Auto-X it is slow.

Last edited by Bilbo-Baggins; 02-25-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Dude, with the TC off the r56 spins front wheels like mad at track.

Last edited by r56mini; 06-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: R56 If you had to choose - LSD or DSC?