R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What options are worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The estimates I've been hearing for after-market audio systems is $2,500-$3,000 and up. The biggest bang for the buck is just swapping out the factory speakers yourself. The fronts are pretty easy. The rears are a little more difficult to get to.

I got the HIFI and replaced speakers with Infinity Kappas. I'm happy with the quality. A sub would be a nice addition, but I can live without it.

I've not heard a standard system with replaced speakers. So, I don't really know how well it works.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:19 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably better if the OP listed what he/she wanted, then i (we) would critique and shoot them down (if necessary).

but on a quick note...the armrest & hifi are junk.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
I think the hi-fi is just a matter of personal preference. When I went for a test drive, I was highly impressed with the system. I thought it sounded very good. It's better than the current system, Bose audio, in my RX-8.

I think the OP's best bet would be to go to a dealer and listen to it for themselves.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wbarnum
sounds like nobody is raving about the mini hi-fi system that much, would it be smarter to get the factory default for now and upgrade with an aftermarket stereo later? I would rather have a six speaker system with maybe a sub that sounded really sweet than a 10 speaker one that is half baked. (sweet meaning good quality sound, not huge thumping bass) 500 bucks would go a long way towards an aftermarket stereo and or speakers. It is possible for a regular car audio shop to do a good install of an aftermarket stereo on an '08? That column in the middle looks a little 'weird'.
I like my Hi-Fi, but maybe that's because I don't know any better. Stereos, like suspension is a very subjective thing. I'd go down and give it a personal listen.

A note: when they say they've added four speakers to the Hi-Fi, all they've added are two tweeters in the front and two in the back.

The stereo is so integrated that you're not going to be able to do a simple head unit swap like on a 'normal' car. If you're talking about having something installed, I don't think the $500 is going to get you more than some new speakers.

You might want to ask around in the Nav/Audio section, but I seem to remember the general consensus being that it's easier to add components to the Hi-Fi than the stock system.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM
sgcooper223
1st Gear
I've just ordered mine with the standard set up sound system, and unfortunately 'cause I'm leasing I can't change it aftermarket. Now I'm a bit worried after reading your posts.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
wbarnum
Neutral
hello all, to clarify, here are the options that get my interest the most, I am just not sure if they are worth the money or if I would notice the difference.

This will be a daily commuter car, but also I want it to be fun to drive, so I am assuming that the sports package, manual shifting, and LSD are the way to go there, but would a noob like me even notice over just getting an plain S?

I live in SLC, where it snows a lot, so those heated seats sound pretty cozy. My wife has them on her Subaru and it is nice.

Leather seats sound like they would last and look good a lot longer than cloth or fake leather, but they sure cost a lot. Anyone have experience with that?

A good sounding stereo would be nice, but I dont want to pay extra money for a marginal one with crappy extra speakers. Maybe a good after market one later?

The only cool convieance package I could see wanting is the keyless entry and starting thing. I have a blackberry with bluetooth and a jawbone headset and they work extrememly well together, the jawbone is excellent at filtering out background noise, people can never tell where i am if I use it. I dont think I see the advantage of plugging my phone into the car. I[pod integration would be ok if it were just the plug in jack.

The sunroof is not too exciting to me, it is either cold here or hot, not a lot of inbetween.

The xenon lamps sound neat, I have no idea how much safer it would make me. Maybe some of those extra headlights down the road would be a better use of 500 bucks?

the MFSW sounds neat for controlling the radio, but I dont channel surf too often. I dont use cruise control much either, this would not be a trip car for me.

a center armrest sounds essential for comfort, but somebody said it was a piece of junk. I assume there are better aftermarket ones?

Compared to the car that I would be moving up from, (92 rusty subaru loyale) anything would seem awsome, I just dont want to miss something essential that I would kick myself later for.

thanks for the help

wb

Old 02-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
hello all, to clarify, here are the options that get my interest the most, I am just not sure if they are worth the money or if I would notice the difference.

This will be a daily commuter car, but also I want it to be fun to drive, so I am assuming that the sports package, manual shifting, and LSD are the way to go there, but would a noob like me even notice over just getting an plain S?

I live in SLC, where it snows a lot, so those heated seats sound pretty cozy. My wife has them on her Subaru and it is nice.

Leather seats sound like they would last and look good a lot longer than cloth or fake leather, but they sure cost a lot. Anyone have experience with that?

A good sounding stereo would be nice, but I dont want to pay extra money for a marginal one with crappy extra speakers. Maybe a good after market one later?

The only cool convieance package I could see wanting is the keyless entry and starting thing. I have a blackberry with bluetooth and a jawbone headset and they work extrememly well together, the jawbone is excellent at filtering out background noise, people can never tell where i am if I use it. I dont think I see the advantage of plugging my phone into the car. I[pod integration would be ok if it were just the plug in jack.

The sunroof is not too exciting to me, it is either cold here or hot, not a lot of inbetween.

The xenon lamps sound neat, I have no idea how much safer it would make me. Maybe some of those extra headlights down the road would be a better use of 500 bucks?

the MFSW sounds neat for controlling the radio, but I dont channel surf too often. I dont use cruise control much either, this would not be a trip car for me.

a center armrest sounds essential for comfort, but somebody said it was a piece of junk. I assume there are better aftermarket ones?

Compared to the car that I would be moving up from, (92 rusty subaru loyale) anything would seem awsome, I just dont want to miss something essential that I would kick myself later for.

thanks for the help

wb
I think the sport package, with the exception of the sport suspension (that you might not even necessarily want) is mostly for looks. I think it adds more to the Cooper (sport seats, spoiler) than to the S (what are, in my opinion, some pretty ugly 17" wheels). If you don't care about the 17" wheels, I'd skip the Sport Package and get the DSC a la carte.

If you can/want to drive a manual, then that's a no brainer. It is a lot more fun, plus you save plenty of money not getting the auto.

My MA and I were talking about what we'd order differently next time, and we both said that maybe we could live w/o the LSD. It sounds cool, and for $500 that's a great deal on an LSD, but I find myself wondering if I'm ever even using it. If you're never planning on tracking the car, I might move this a bit further down the list in priorities.

DSC, on the other hand, I'd definitely get again, if anything just for the wonderful hill assist feature (it holds the brake for you as you let go of the clutch when you're stopped on a hill). Plus the whole added safety bit is a nice bonus.

I can't see paying $500ish for the keyless entry, but maybe I just like pressing buttons. On the other hand, I'd definitely think about getting the auto sensing wipers next time. I've had them on a BMW loaner car, and they're very nice. Just hit the button once and you never have to worry about fiddling with the wiper settings again. Especially handy since the MINI only comes w/ one wiper intermittent speed.

You don't want the MFSW for channel surfing, you want it for volume control. The volume **** is in a very, very stupid place.

Leather is the most high maintenance of the interior options. It's going to require some actual regular attention to keep it looking good. Plus it's mad spendy. Think about what your overall color scheme is going to be, and go from there. Also, go down to the dealer and sit in the various options. They look, and feel a lot different than they do on the online configurator.

Skip the iPod integration, and just get an $8 dock connector->Aux input cable instead. You'll still have to use the iPod controls, but it'll sound just as good for a tiny fraction of the cost. You can always add the iPod integration later.

A few (relatively) cheap options people sometimes forget and kick themselves for later:

Anthracite headliner - good if you've got a mostly black interior
Rear Fog Lights - Functionally rather pointless (except to scare annoying tailgaters, and to help people trying to follow you) but without them you're going to be missing a switch in the toggle panel. Does it matter? How OCD are you? It's only $100 from the factory, but $$$ to get it done later.
Clear Turn Signals - Again, mostly an OCD thing, and it depends on your color scheme, but it costs a lot more to change later.

When you're trying to cut some stuff to stay under budget, keep things that can't be added after you order (LSD, DSC, Cold Weather Package, NAV, Auto AC), and ditch the things that can (armrest, iPod integration, driving lights).

Last edited by Modnar; 02-25-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sports Package gives you DSC, overweight 17" wheels, and a stiffer suspension. You want DSC, but I would skip the wheels and suspension. The MCS is a lot of fun with the standard suspension. If you want to tighten it up later, you can add a 19mm sway bar. If you want 17" wheels, go after-market. You can get good light-weight wheels that look better for less $$. The handling difference between 17" and 16 wheels is subtle, but the ride is harsher with the 17". I have a set of each.

Modern automotive upholstery fabric is pretty tough stuff. The cloth seats in my 18 year-old Acura look quite good. It would take a lot of care to keep leather looking good that long. However, the leather seats have a lumbar support adjustment. The cloth seats don't. The Redwood Lounge Leather looks really good. I sort of wish I had gotten it. I ended up with cloth seats because I didn't like the white piping on the Black Lounge Leather.

Did you see my post about this? Got $2,500 for after-market?

The only cool convieance package I could see wanting is the keyless entry and starting thing.
Yup, I like it.

I have a blackberry with bluetooth and a jawbone headset and they work extrememly well together, the jawbone is excellent at filtering out background noise, people can never tell where i am if I use it. I dont think I see the advantage of plugging my phone into the car.
I agree. I have the Bluetooth and you can do just as well with a good headset. That said, if you have to think about what you are talking about on the phone, it lowers you driving ability to that of a drunk. Not something you should do often.

I[pod integration would be ok if it were just the plug in jack.
There is an AUX jack in all MINIs. So, an inexpensive cable will get you there. If you were getting the NAV, it might be worth going for an option that included iPod control.

Did you see my post about Xenons? Go read the page I linked to. I think they are less safe.

You want it for volume, not surfing.

I got it with the Bluetooth option. It annoyed me so much I ripped it out. There is an after-market one that is supposed to be better, but this is a MINI with a standard shift. Not a Cadillac cruiser. You don't need no stinkin' armrest!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:47 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
good post by modnar.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
wbarnum
Neutral
Thanks, good posts from all of you.
I will check out the radio differences with my own ears, replacement does not seem to be a valid option at all unfortunately.
As far as the cellphone talking goes, I swear I only use it while cruising on the interstate, not in stop and go traffic. Even that I am weaning myself off of.
Sounds like you guys all like the DSC and the hotter engine in the S and are pretty ambivalent about the other sport options. thats good to know. I agree about the look of the wheels in the sports package, you either get the crown spokes which are not that cool to my eyes, or you get run-flat tires which I have heard a lot of horror stories about the high cost of their replacement.
I'll take a closer look at the upholstery options in person. My cloth seats in my old car are all stained and frayed, so it has tainted my opinion a bit. On the other hand, streched out and dried leather seats dont look so hot either. Maybe the right way to go is seat covers, but I suppose that would foul up the airbags.
Thanks for the ideas, if there are any more out there, I'd love to hear them. It's really good to hear from experienced views that let me un-marry my mind from certain bells and whistles.

wb

Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
The Sports Package gives you DSC, overweight 17" wheels, and a stiffer suspension. You want DSC, but I would skip the wheels and suspension. The MCS is a lot of fun with the standard suspension. If you want to tighten it up later, you can add a 19mm sway bar. If you want 17" wheels, go after-market. You can get good light-weight wheels that look better for less $$. The handling difference between 17" and 16 wheels is subtle, but the ride is harsher with the 17". I have a set of each.
Odds are the standard suspension is going to be alright for you. If you're really in doubt, give it a test drive. And if you have any intention of lowering your car in the future it's basically a total waste. I got it mainly to curb any thoughts of suspension mods because I had/have no intentions of ever lowering my car.

Modern automotive upholstery fabric is pretty tough stuff. The cloth seats in my 18 year-old Acura look quite good. It would take a lot of care to keep leather looking good that long. However, the leather seats have a lumbar support adjustment. The cloth seats don't. The Redwood Lounge Leather looks really good. I sort of wish I had gotten it. I ended up with cloth seats because I didn't like the white piping on the Black Lounge Leather.
I got the cloth/leather combo which does have the lumber support, costs less than any of the all leather options, and (IMNSUO) looks the sharpest of any of the options, especially when paired with a color line. I think with the '08s any upholstery upgrade gets you a color line choice, and interior trim choice included for free. I too thought the piping looked pretty bad, unless you went with a PW/B MINI.

If you are vaguely considering the iPod integration, remember that the Bluetooth option comes w/ the USB port that acts the exact same as the iPod integration only you put the iPod in the center console and not the secret compartment.

Originally Posted by steaming79
good post by modnar.

Thanks, and some more excellent info from Robin as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Thanks, good posts from all of you.
I will check out the radio differences with my own ears, replacement does not seem to be a valid option at all unfortunately.
As far as the cellphone talking goes, I swear I only use it while cruising on the interstate, not in stop and go traffic. Even that I am weaning myself off of.
Sounds like you guys all like the DSC and the hotter engine in the S and are pretty ambivalent about the other sport options. thats good to know. I agree about the look of the wheels in the sports package, you either get the crown spokes which are not that cool to my eyes, or you get run-flat tires which I have heard a lot of horror stories about the high cost of their replacement.
I'll take a closer look at the upholstery options in person. My cloth seats in my old car are all stained and frayed, so it has tainted my opinion a bit. On the other hand, streched out and dried leather seats dont look so hot either. Maybe the right way to go is seat covers, but I suppose that would foul up the airbags.
Thanks for the ideas, if there are any more out there, I'd love to hear them. It's really good to hear from experienced views that let me un-marry my mind from certain bells and whistles.

wb
The S was the only way to go after I test drove both. And it's got more horsepower, and gets better gas mileage than my previous car. That was hard to say no to.

FYI, you're stuck with runflats on the S no matter what. Which is sort of good, as they haven't seen fit to give you a spare tire. The only way to get non runflats straight from the factory is to get a Cooper w/ 15" wheels. You can always ditch the run flats later when they wear out.

You can actually get seat covers that work with the side airbags. I remember the Wet Okoles being recommended by a number of people on NAM. But I wouldn't worry about that until you've worn a hole through your seat. One advantage to cloth is its less slidy when cornering, and (at least in my experience) it cuts down on Sweaty Back Syndrome. But you haven't said what exterior colors you're considering so it's hard to make a definitive interior recommendation.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM
steaming79
4th Gear
and robin too.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Grape82
1st Gear
Cold weather package (hmmmm.....heated seats!) and bluetooth/hands free system. NJ just made cellphone hand-set usage a primary offense. Meaning they can stop you and ticket ($180) if you are using cellphone.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Options not to leave out?

Don't get the Mini until you have the cash for all the options but the stereo pkg. If you get it without one of the pkgs, you'll always wish you had waited. I like the convenience pkg the most. NJP

Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You turn off DSC at the track anyhow... ...and my MT car had hill assist without it. Maybe because it was a 12/06 build with sport package?
The stock 16 & 17" wheels from Mini are HEAVY; I wouldn't pay extra for them with the "sport" package; the JCW works much better overall. I don't even think that LSD is really worth it; just get in and turn off the ASC and drive smart. The car is pretty much unflappable.
I like my Hi-Fi most of the time. One of the speakers buzzes with some music but the Sirius keeps me entertained. I don't listen to the Hidef radio much; the Atlanta programming doesn't match my demographic... Good luck with upgrading; I hope you are good with your hands and have deep pockets.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Good posts from Robin and Modnar. One thing I'd add relative to the seats, I like the leatherette option a lot. Its free, very durable and really low maintenance.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:15 AM
wbarnum
Neutral
thanks for the info guys. i went by the lot this morning and peeked in the windows of some leatherette and cloth mini's and they all looked sharp. I wont get wrapped around the axle about getting leather.
There is an 07 still on the lot with a good option package and leather seats, but unless they discount it deep because it is an 07, i think i will pass on it, and just get an 08 with out leather for 1500 cheaper.
I will opt for the hifi option.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
wbarnum
Neutral
Model Here is one that our local dealer has on the lot that I think I might get. it has most of the options that sound useful and good for the climate in utah. Not a very original color, I would think that there are a lot of red MCS with white bonnet stripes out there, but I like it.
0811 Cooper S USD 21,200.00

Color 851 Chili Red paint N/C
Upholstery K8E1 Grey/Carbon Black Leatherette N/C
Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 500.00
313 Power folding mirrors N/C
314 Heated mirrors and washer jets N/C
494 Heated front seats N/C
ZPP Premium Package 1,500.00
403 Dual pane panoramic sunroof N/C
534 Automatic air conditioning N/C
6FD MINI HiFi sound system N/C
1CA CO2 relevant vehicles N/C
210 Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) 500.00
249 Multi-function steering wheel 250.00
255 Sports leather steering wheel N/C
2RG 16" alloy wheels, bridge spoke N/C
2TA Limited slip differential 500.00
327 White bonnet stripes 100.00
382 Roof and mirror caps in white N/C
785 White turn-signal lights 100.00
927 All-season tires N/C
Net Total 24,650.00
Destination Charge 650.00

Total Suggested Price 25,300.00

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
My car came with no options other than the bonnet stripes. So here are the things I miss having occasionally.

Cruise control, but I like the simple look of my steering wheel with no buttons.
JCW suspension.-but too expensive.
JCW aero kit-also too expensive.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Model Here is one that our local dealer has on the lot that I think I might get. it has most of the options that sound useful and good for the climate in utah. Not a very original color, I would think that there are a lot of red MCS with white bonnet stripes out there, but I like it.
0811 Cooper S USD 21,200.00

Color 851 Chili Red paint N/C
Upholstery K8E1 Grey/Carbon Black Leatherette N/C
Options ZCW Cold Weather Package 500.00
313 Power folding mirrors N/C
314 Heated mirrors and washer jets N/C
494 Heated front seats N/C
ZPP Premium Package 1,500.00
403 Dual pane panoramic sunroof N/C
534 Automatic air conditioning N/C
6FD MINI HiFi sound system N/C
1CA CO2 relevant vehicles N/C
210 Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) 500.00
249 Multi-function steering wheel 250.00
255 Sports leather steering wheel N/C
2RG 16" alloy wheels, bridge spoke N/C
2TA Limited slip differential 500.00
327 White bonnet stripes 100.00
382 Roof and mirror caps in white N/C
785 White turn-signal lights 100.00
927 All-season tires N/C
Net Total 24,650.00
Destination Charge 650.00

Total Suggested Price 25,300.00
That looks like a pretty nicely specced MINI. I can't really see anything hugely glaring that's missing. In fact it looks somewhat eerily familiar...

My local dealership was offering $1000 off of MSRP for any '07s left on the lot. If you can get something in that ballpark you're quite nicely under your $26,000 budget.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take a look at what I ordered (in my signature). I got all this for $27,000, INCLUDING tax, title and license. I know the packages are different for 2008, but I'm sure a saavy MA could figure out the changes. At any rate, it gives you an idea of what you can get on a budget, which was pretty much like yours.

Not for everyone, I know, but the only thing I'd change is to add rear fogs. I figured we don't have fog here so I didn't need it--didn't think about heavy RAIN, which we DO get!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a winner, wbarnum. What are you waiting for?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM
MiniTopher
Neutral
Go for the HiFi...

thanks for the info guys. i went by the lot this morning and peeked in the windows of some leatherette and cloth mini's and they all looked sharp. I wont get wrapped around the axle about getting leather.
There is an 07 still on the lot with a good option package and leather seats, but unless they discount it deep because it is an 07, i think i will pass on it, and just get an 08 with out leather for 1500 cheaper.
I will opt for the hifi option.
I'll throw in my $.02...

I work for a company that makes speakers, amplifiers, etc. for use in your home. Some of these items sell for more than the price of your car. The system I have at home retails for more than the MCS I have on order! The general idea is that I really like great sound. While the Mini HiFi is not (and far from) the end-all-be-all of audio systems, it is far superior to the base stereo - HANDS DOWN! It is well worth the $500 add-on price. If you ever wanted to make an after-market change to the system, there is one key difference in that the tweeters are mounted in the A-Pillar which actually makes the soundstage correct (as opposed to the base system where sound comes from your ankles). I would agree that an after-market audio system would be an improvement, but if you aren't going to mod your car then get the HiFi. You won't regret it.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
korby
6th Gear
S is good as is but you'll need the rear fogs just to fill in youre toggle switch's .

Quick Reply: R56 What options are worth it?