R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 PM
miniborna
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rotation

Got a question for you all.

I was told by the MINI dealership today that tire rotation is not included in the general maintenance plan for MINI. So, if you want to rotate them you will have to pay for them separately.

My understanding is that rotating tires are part of good maintenance. Specially, when you have a front wheel drive car, where the front wheels are supposed to lose the trades faster than the rear tires.

Is it true?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rotate my tires about every 3000 miles; I've stopped suckling at Mother Mini's teat for routine things --- it's not worth the hassle of their service departments.
You can find a tire shop that you trust or buy yourself a torque wrench and do it yourself.
Read this for related information.

The following users liked this post:
RChandler (11-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
heyjay1428
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
I rotate my tires about every 3000 miles; I've stopped suckling at Mother Mini's teat for routine things --- it's not worth the hassle of their service departments.
You can find a tire shop that you trust or buy yourself a torque wrench and do it yourself.
Read this for related information.
+1.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 AM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Since I have run flats are the tires only to be rotated in one direction?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NashvilleMiniStan
Since I have run flats are the tires only to be rotated in one direction?
Front to back; back to front. If you jack high enough from the front block, the rear wheel goes up too. I use a jackstand in back to be safe -- loosent the lug bolts before jacking, good torque wrench, etc.
The tires last longer and you can replace them as a set.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Nightsky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Front to back; back to front. If you jack high enough from the front block, the rear wheel goes up too. I use a jackstand in back to be safe -- loosent the lug bolts before jacking, good torque wrench, etc.
The tires last longer and you can replace them as a set.
+1, and clean the inside of the wheels at that time.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniborna
Got a question for you all.

I was told by the MINI dealership today that tire rotation is not included in the general maintenance plan for MINI. So, if you want to rotate them you will have to pay for them separately.

My understanding is that rotating tires are part of good maintenance. Specially, when you have a front wheel drive car, where the front wheels are supposed to lose the trades faster than the rear tires.

Is it true?
Routine rotation front-to-back is seen as a big no-no by safety authorities as the better pair should ALWAYS be on the rear for maximum stability in emergency situations, FWD, RWD, AWD or whatever!

This also spreads replacement costs on FWD cars as you only buy a pair at a time, when the fronts are worn-out. (The part-warn rears then go to the front, of course!)

Old 02-26-2008, 07:25 AM
tag
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dlpruk
Routine rotation front-to-back is seen as a big no-no by safety authorities as the better pair should ALWAYS be on the rear for maximum stability in emergency situations, FWD, RWD, AWD or whatever!

This also spreads replacement costs on FWD cars as you only buy a pair at a time, when the fronts are worn-out. (The part-warn rears then go to the front, of course!)
Please provide a link to these "safety authorities" that view tire rotation as a "big no-no" and " the better pair should ALWAYS be on the rear". They must be on crack.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Sorry tag, but I'm not doing your research for you. (And to suggest anyone you don't agree with "must be on crack" is hardly helpful.)

But try this: http://tinyurl.com/3cq8qs

Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
First link from your search:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../brochure.html

Rotating tires from front to back and from side to side can reduce irregular wear (for vehicles that have tires that are all the same size). Look in your owner's manual for information on how frequently the tires on your vehicle should be rotated and the best pattern for rotation.
I would think that the NHTSA is a reputable safety authority.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
And don't forget to balance 'em when you rotate them boys. Costco/Discount, they all do it free, pretty basic stuff nowdays.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
jggimi
3rd Gear
In the 11/06 R56 manual (available as a .pdf, page 93) MINI recommends tire rotation.

In the later printed version that came with my R56, they specifically recommend against it.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Your tires should be evenly worn on your new car, or, you have not been rotating and kept them properly inflated. Skip rotating them too long and the front tires get badly worn on the shoulders. That is because the fronts do all the turning, provide all the force to "go", and tote 60% of the load.
The rear set just follow along toting 40% of the weight.
I am afraid that you have been mis-informed. Your best tires should be on the front. You never rotate an unidirectional tire to the opposite side of the vehicle (exception: the tire can be remounted for the proper direction), and you should buy in full sets to ensure your tires are equally matched.

Little research, please remember that we have unidirectional tires.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Rotation.html

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...dia_tires3.asp

weight distribution
http://autos.yahoo.com/mini_cooper_c...e-specs/?p=ext

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM
tag
2nd Gear
Well you've posted many links that suggest it is better to put the newer tires on back. There are probably as many links that suggest otherwise. However, you haven't supported your claim of "Routine rotation front-to-back is seen as a big no-no by safety authorities".

Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
I made no comment about about replacing tires front or back only rotation as shown by the text I quoted. Also some of the links you provided include advice about how to rotate ones tires.

I think you should to read up on the NHTSA to understand why it is a reputable safety authority. It is the governmental body for the US's car and traffic safety.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/Cfc_title49/index.html

Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tag
However, you haven't supported your claim of "Routine rotation front-to-back is seen as a big no-no by safety authorities".
I'm so sorry; I just thought:"Routine rotation front-to-back isn't recommended by most authorities" would be too formal and stuffy.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 AM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
Rotating tires in X pattern can be a bit dangerous I would not recommend it even if you have uni-directional tires. I had some bad experiences with it. With steel belted radial tires, the steel belts are stretched on way on normal driving. When you rotate in a X pattern, you are changing the stretch pattern in the opposite direction. On some tires, this causes the belts to shred and come apart and tires have a really bad blowout.

Tires should always be rotated front to rear to front keeping the rotation pattern the same.

Tire rotation is good, rule of thumb, when the tires are getting worn, keep the tires with most thread on the drive axle. In the case of MINI, in the front. A blow out in the rear is easy to control at any speed, blowout in the front is harder. Also most of your braking force is in the front.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Don't know how to rotate your tires? Don't wanna waste money getting it done by someone else? If you're in the PHX area, give me a shout (send an IM) and I'll do it for you (and teach you how to do it) free of charge.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 4xAAA

Little research, please remember that we have unidirectional tires.
Not true. Whether they are run-flat or not, performance tires are typically unidirectional and all-seasons are generally not. So check your tire sidewall information before you do anything.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by manifest
I think you should to read up on the NHTSA to understand why it is a reputable safety authority. It is the governmental body for the US's car and traffic safety.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/Cfc_title49/index.html
Perhaps they have some lessons to learn too, judging by international road accident statistics:

http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_analyses_HMCs.htm

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
tag
2nd Gear
I'm so sorry; I just thought:"Routine rotation front-to-back isn't recommended by most authorities" would be too formal and stuffy.
In other words you cannot prove your claim.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
manifest
3rd Gear
Perhaps they have some lessons to learn too, judging by international road accident statistics:

http://www.factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_analyses_HMCs.htm
I'm sure every governmental agency responsible for car and traffic safety can learn others. It doesn't lesson the fact that it is a reputable agency for traffic safety. If you want to continue discussing I suggest creating a new thread as this conversation has taken us off topic of tire rotation.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
inomis
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
With anti-lock brakes and DSC I would think you would want the tires with the most traction located where the highest forces will be. (The front for us.) That would retain the highest level of control and safty, wouldn't it? I'm not sure if even bald rear tires on ice would be an issue with modern electronics.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tag
In other words you cannot prove your claim.
If that makes you feel better; I can't be bothered to argue with you.

Quick Reply: R56 Tire rotation