R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What are the minimum octane requirements for the MC and MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the minimum octane requirements for the MC and MCS?

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 is strongly recommended. The engine can run on lower but it will decrease timing. Some dealers fill up with 89 for the fleet savings, but for an owner it doesn't make sense.

Just one tip as I see you're a pretty new user and have a couple unanswered posts on the boards. Do a search before creating a new thread. You'd be surprised how many questions have already been posed (and answered) multiple times.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
91. I Always use 93. I believe it will get poor gas mileage with cheaper stuff, besides its not that much more expensive around here, dont know out your area.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm know it's in your owner's manual. Tiptoe through it 2 or 3 times, and I'm sure you'll find it, along with all the other info you'll need for happy motoring.

I use 93 exclusively, usually Shell or Texaco.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
I'm know it's in your owner's manual. Tiptoe through it 2 or 3 times, and I'm sure you'll find it, along with all the other info you'll need for happy motoring.

I use 93 exclusively, usually Shell or Texaco.
I don't have one yet. Still doing my homework before pulling the trigger.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Very few stations here in NY offer 91 Octane. It's usually: 87, 89, 93. I believe that Sunoco still has the four grades: 87, 89, 91, 93, but the difference between the 91 and 93 is a couple of cents a gallon, even at these high prices. If the manual says premium, use premium. It's at most a couple of bucks each fill-up over regular, and the engine was designed to use premium.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Regular 87 in my MC manual. States will not harm engine but not recommended. As detailed in other threads, engine has a knock sensor to adjust accordingly, more applicable in warmer weather. May effect performance and gas mileage, but not sure anyone has confirmed this with good data. Anyway, I'm using 87 these days. Always used regular my whole driving life, and I can't break the habit.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman

Just one tip as I see you're a pretty new user and have a couple unanswered posts on the boards. Do a search before creating a new thread. You'd be surprised how many questions have already been posed (and answered) multiple times.
I did do a search. I'm new to this forum, but not new to online forums

Problem is that most of the responses seem to be centered around the S and I'm trying to get clarification to see if the MC and MCS have the same fuel requirements.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Shell 93 or Texaco 100 for my MC.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
So is premium required for the MC as well?

I know some of you use lower octanes, but what does the manual say?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Yes, the MC requires premium as well. The MC has a higher compression ration that the MCS. So, they both need premium.

The manual recommends: "Super Premium gasoline/AKI 91"
Minimum requirement is 87 AKI.

It also says, "Use high-quality brands" and goes on to say, "Field experience has indicated significant differences in fuel quality: volatility, composition, additives, etc., among gasolines offered for sale in the United States and Canada."

"The use of poor-quality fuels may result in drivability, starting and stalling problems especially under certain environmental conditions such as high ambient temperature and high altitude."

Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Regular 87 in my MC manual. States will not harm engine but not recommended. As detailed in other threads, engine has a knock sensor to adjust accordingly, more applicable in warmer weather. May effect performance and gas mileage, but not sure anyone has confirmed this with good data. Anyway, I'm using 87 these days. Always used regular my whole driving life, and I can't break the habit.
although the engine can run off 87... it doesnt mean its suppose to. It will effect performance and mileage for sure. There havent been specific tests for the MINI because its common knowledge that by retarding the timing of the motor, you are making it run below peak performance to prevent engine damage. This applies to all cars. If the car requires premium, get premium.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
These small high compression engines like the 91 gas. I have always used a top tier gas like Shell V power or Chevon Supreme. It keeps my baby clean and I have not noticed a need for fuel injector cleaner like I have had on other cars which I used 87 Arco.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
You can find owner manuals for the various new MINI years online at
http://www.motoringfile.com/

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
rdwatt
2nd Gear
If major brand high octane is not available, add 5 oz. of Lucas Fuel Treatment to your tank when you fill-up. Your MINI will love it and you will get better mileage!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Read your owners manual! Or look on the gas door! It's printed in both locations. You think BMW/MINI makes money from the gas companies for printing 91 on those stickers instead of 87? You're driving a performance tuned engine, there's a reason your 1.6 liter puts out as much power as comparable engines with 30-50% more displacement.

If you put anything less than maximum octane in a forced induction engine you're OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
although the engine can run off 87... it doesnt mean its suppose to. It will effect performance and mileage for sure. There havent been specific tests for the MINI because its common knowledge that by retarding the timing of the motor, you are making it run below peak performance to prevent engine damage. This applies to all cars. If the car requires premium, get premium.
In cold weather, will the timing change if there is no knocking? I have no idea how engines work. Just wondering?

Anyway, my gas mileage in my MC automatic has stayed at 26 mpg for the past three months since I started using regular in December. I was using premium since I got it last May. I didn't know I could use 87 back then without damaging the engine until I actually read the manual.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 AM
6th Gear
There's only so much adjusting your car can do. You also have to know how a knock sensor works, it detects knock, THEN adjusts timing. Yea, it may not have knocked for 45 seconds, but you don't think pre-det hurts your engine?

There have been literally HUNDREDS of posts on this forum, even some offering scientific analysis with data to back it up. You DO NOT SAVE MONEY using 87 octane in a car that was DESIGNED to use 91 octane. Your car will retard timing, your milage will go down, and you'll just have to fill up sooner. Your 96 cents you saved by using 87 octane will be a waste.

For those of you that think your gas prices are high outside of CA, please... do a little research before you complain about paying 2.95 - 3.15 a gallon. My most recent gas fill up was for $3.96 a gallon. I haven't seen gas prices under $3 a gallon in over 2.5 years in CA. I have NEVER put anything other than 91 octane gas in my cars (Yes cars... every car I've owned has recommended, and got 91 octane)

Even better, it costs $6.50+ a gallon in most of Europe to fill up. Guess where our gas prices are going?

Get ready for a ride folks, gas isn't going down any time soon. There are far better places to nickel and dime yourself than whether you use 87 octane or 91 octane.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
6th Gear
In cold weather, will the timing change if there is no knocking? I have no idea how engines work. Just wondering?

Anyway, my gas mileage in my MC automatic has stayed at 26 mpg for the past three months since I started using regular in December. I was using premium since I got it last May. I didn't know I could use 87 back then without damaging the engine until I actually read the manual.
Timing will dial back even in the coldest of weather. Just because it's not 100+ outside doesn't mean that your engine won't knock if you push it. These are high compression motors, the more you compress a gas, the hotter it gets.

If you're driving spirited and it's 40 degrees out, more than likely you're car would be dialing back timing even with 91. I don't think i've ever seen my car run the timing it's programmed to run. I sit and watch timing figures go from 29-30 degrees down to 18-19 when it's warm out (With 91 octane). Even on race gas (100+ Octane) at the track i've seen my car pull back timing when it's warm out. These motors run VERY HOT!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I don't have one yet. Still doing my homework before pulling the trigger.
As you can see from the responses so far in this thread 91 or higher octane are recommended by MINI and their owners for both the MCS and MC.Now go out and get that MINI!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
That rather horrible mileage for an MC. It's even bad for an MCS. Sounds like it is costing you more $$ to use 87 than it would to use 91 or 93. The British have a phrase: penny wise, pound foolish.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
That rather horrible mileage for an MC. It's even bad for an MCS. Sounds like it is costing you more $$ to use 87 than it would to use 91 or 93. The British have a phrase: penny wise, pound foolish.
It hasn't cost me more. Sorry for the confusion, as I mentioned, my mileage "stayed" at 26 mpg when I went from premium to regular these past three months. The low mileage is due less to my aggressive driving but to the fact most of my driving is in New York City.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
It hasn't cost me more. Sorry for the confusion, as I mentioned, my mileage "stayed" at 26 mpg when I went from premium to regular these past three months. The low mileage is due less to my aggressive driving but to the fact most of my driving is in New York City.
It still seems low to me for an MC, even for that driving profile. Why don't you run a tank of premium, or at least mid range, and see what happens?

Don't forget that you might be causing slow damage that will bite you in the end...

Last edited by daffodildeb; 03-05-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM
GregO
4th Gear
amusing

I continue to be amused when I see this question. Glad to see someone else uses 87!. That's all we've used in our 2006 MCS (30mpg average) and that's all we'll use in our 2008 MC (?mpg average = yet to be determined). 87 is plenty adequate.
Greg

Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
....and I'm bemused by anyone who ignores the MINI fuel grade recommendations. It's your car, use whatever fuel you want, but I'll stick with the grade of fuel for which the engine was designed.

Quick Reply: R56 What are the minimum octane requirements for the MC and MCS?