R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 COLD START NOISE / EXTENDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COLD START NOISE / EXTENDED WARRANTY

With the cold start noise issue that is going on is anyone that didn't buy the extended warranty on their car now thinking about buying it? I did not buy the extended warranty on mine. After looking at the EW offer, it only takes it to 70,000 miles not 100,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 AM
flav
5th Gear
If you insure with geico they have a 100,000 mile / 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. You can get it fixed anywhere including dealer. $250 deductable. It costs me $5 extra a month! You must get it on a car before 1 year or 15,000 miles. And its transferable when you sell the car. Beat that!

Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
My MCS at times makes a loud noise when its cold even though I let it warm up. After a while the noise dies down though.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
haktan35
1st Gear
I have the same problem..
Did you get the solution?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
desertmini21
4th Gear
I only have a few thousand miles on my car and I am experiencing that horrid noise.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Tygo
3rd Gear
There is no solution, see a billion other threads to find that same conclusion. I still won't get the extended warranty, If I have the issue within the warranty period, I'm going to take it to the car in to the dealer just to have it acknowledged on record as an issue, so that if there is an issue down the road I can claim that it started within the warranty period and it is on record. That and the aforementioned billion posts of people who have this issue should get us a massive recall if they can pinpoint what is causing the issue. I'm guessing the only reason I haven't experienced the legendary cold start noise is because I haven't been driving the car in the winter yet (just got it in december.)

Old 01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
im just drive it until engine blows up or something.. the sound usually goes away after 5 minutes of slow driving.... just drive and shift under 2000 rpm.... going to the dealer for this is futile... dont waste ur time.. thats my plan.. let it rip apart then tell them engine blew up..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tygo
There is no solution, see a billion other threads to find that same conclusion. I still won't get the extended warranty, If I have the issue within the warranty period, I'm going to take it to the car in to the dealer just to have it acknowledged on record as an issue, so that if there is an issue down the road I can claim that it started within the warranty period and it is on record. That and the aforementioned billion posts of people who have this issue should get us a massive recall if they can pinpoint what is causing the issue. I'm guessing the only reason I haven't experienced the legendary cold start noise is because I haven't been driving the car in the winter yet (just got it in december.)
Tygo, your approach looks like the best path forward for most folks. Get the instances thoroughly documented when/as they occur for use as references if the problems manifests itself as something more serious down the road and forgo the EW. The benefit-to-cost ratio of investing in an extended warranty based on only the known risks doesn't seem justifiable except for the subset of folks who are dead set on keeping their MINI for the long term and also don't feel they'd be able to financially accommodate potential repair bills.

MINI corporate angst over the business impacts of a "massive recall" is likely the reason that you'll never see it -- plus the fact that there are few reports, if any, [yet] of the suspect engines prematurely failing because of this. It can still be passed off as nothing more than an acoustic annoyance. My forecast is for subtle improvements at a tech refresh milestone (e.g., updated software) analogous to the improved PS pump fan and circuit in 1st Gen that eventually appeared without publicity or fanfare. At best, there's always the hope that they will provide this fix as a service to earlier vehicles during regularly scheduled maintenance checks.

Until this issue starts to hurt BMW-MINI in the wallet -- measured in terms of a critical mass of potential buyers who are sufficiently concerned with the cold start chatter that they refuse to purchase a new MINI -- don't expect a whole lot more. I know there is a significant number of people regularly visiting NAM, M|U, MotoringFile, etc. who fall into this category (me included) but the problem is that this group only represents a small fraction of the prospective customer base.