R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 HID install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
r56turbo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 HID install

Hi, I want to put some HIDs on my r56 and I was just wondering if anybody has done it on a r56 and where you guys mounted the ballasts just to give me some ideas.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not be discouraging, but I've heard without a large amount of money (1-2K, if not more) plus some serious expertise, it's impossible. There's the auto-levelers, washers, higher voltage, very different design... It's not even recommended for one to change the bulbs themselves on the Xenons.

Best of luck

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Why do you think you can't you change the bulbs yourself? I've done it before, it's no different than changing other bulbs. Obviously you don't want to have someone switch on the car and lights while you're doing it.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Why do you think you can't you change the bulbs yourself? I've done it before, it's no different than changing other bulbs. Obviously you don't want to have someone switch on the car and lights while you're doing it.
I wasn't saying that I in particular cannot, just going by MINI's recommendation. I'm sure you wouldn't want to have someone switch on the car and lights while replacing the halogens either. However MINI specifies for the Xenons that a DIY replacement is not recommended. Granted that may be BS, I just have no particular desire to find out.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The big difference between halogen and HID bulbs is they're fed with 12 volts versus ~20,000 volts [for startup].

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Yea, I know the Xenon bulbs are extremely high voltage. Even so I can't imagine that's MINI's only reason for not recommending an owner to replace it on their own. With the car off and battery disconnected what is the risk?

Getting back to the OP's question, I don't know of anyone who has successfully completed an HID retrofit. Haven't heard of any dealer willing to do it either, and the parts alone are over a grand.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
it sounds like op is referring to just a HID bulb swap out which is not a good idea....

If he/she was going for the oem hid lights then mounting the ballast would be a no brainier since its part of the light assembly.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem is that if you put HID bulbs in regular reflectors you're going to blind all oncoming drivers. HID lights have a sharp cuttoff pattern so this only happens when you hit a bump or drive up an incline (R56 HID lights will then tilt down to minimize this). I'm assuming the regular reflectors do not have this sharp cuttoff pattern. Your best bet would be to maybe try to find the entire assembly from a smashed up R56.

Last edited by johne123; 03-12-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM
unixgal
Twisty Road Lover
I just purchased an aftermarket HID conversion kit. I've tried them out and they seem to work great, but I haven't finished figuring out the exact ballast placement, for installation.

(fyi, the kit I got doesn't require any wire modification to my MINI, so I can go back at any time).

Old 03-12-2008, 10:06 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
You would have to buy both HID Mini headlight assembles. Then a HID kit with D2S type bulbs and the correct connector on the ballast for the stock wiring. The ballast would fit under the headlight assembles in the stock location. I would think the cost would be around 2-2.5k. You also wouldn't have to worry about the auto levels or the washers. Plus you would pass inspection since they are the correct housings.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
Originally Posted by unixgal
I just purchased an aftermarket HID conversion kit. I've tried them out and they seem to work great, but I haven't finished figuring out the exact ballast placement, for installation.

(fyi, the kit I got doesn't require any wire modification to my MINI, so I can go back at any time).
This doesn't sound like a very good idea due to the aforementioned problem with the reflectors. If you put HID's in an enclosure designed for Halogen's you will be throwing light all over the place and more than likely **** off every car that comes at you or is in front of you.

I expect Robin has more info on this.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by geekswrath
I expect Robin has more info on this.
Perhaps you are thinking of this:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

I suspect that an HID conversion kit might not be legal in California without the proper projector lens system and leveling mechanism. Whether you would be caught is another question. We have smog tests, but I'm not sure whether they check headlights. However, If a CHP was blinded by your lights coming at him, he might come after you.

Perhaps the HID kit could be worked into driving lights that were on a separate circuit and only used when there is no oncoming traffic?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
r56turbo
1st Gear
All I want to see is an aftermarket HID kit on an r56 MINI. I want to get an idea of where to mount the ballast. I have put HIDs on my cars before without projectors and I like like them just fine, I don't want to hear about how I shouldn't do it. It's my car and I want to put HIDs on it, period.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r56turbo
All I want to see is an aftermarket HID kit on an r56 MINI. I want to get an idea of where to mount the ballast. I have put HIDs on my cars before without projectors and I like like them just fine, I don't want to hear about how I shouldn't do it. It's my car and I want to put HIDs on it, period.
So, the people coming towards you are irrelevant?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
dreman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
So, the people coming towards you are irrelevant?
it's his world... we're only happy to be in it.

He is sure to get tons of help with that attitude

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
r56turbo
1st Gear
I don't mean to be an ******* or anything, but you guys are straying away from the subject. I know what I am doing, I am a mechanic and I have installed HIDs before on my cars. You aren't going to convince me not to put HIDs on my car. So if you aren't going to provide me with positive advice, just don't say anything and keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
russr
5th Gear
+1!!! I learned a lot about headlights from this site.
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Perhaps you are thinking of this:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

I suspect that an HID conversion kit might not be legal in California without the proper projector lens system and leveling mechanism. Whether you would be caught is another question. We have smog tests, but I'm not sure whether they check headlights. However, If a CHP was blinded by your lights coming at him, he might come after you.

Perhaps the HID kit could be worked into driving lights that were on a separate circuit and only used when there is no oncoming traffic?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Mendenheezy
Neutral
I just took the Xenons off of my friends MCS, and stuck them in mine (stock halogens). Ballast and bulb are hooked up. The connector fits just fine, but when I started the car and tried to turn the lights on, nothing happened. Is there something else that needs to be done that make them work?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Just a trip to the dealer for a ECU program.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
JMHO, I usually love the look of the HID projectors on most car, however, I think the Mini is one car that looks better with the standard Halogens. The HID projectors remind me of a 2003 WRX, and just dont look as good to me. That being said the light is a big improvement over the halogens and are a must in dark areas, but a conversion thats not done 100% correctly (leveling calibration) is just dangerous.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Okay, time to play "devils" advocate. He just wants the information on doing it. ENOUGH people have told him that they think it's a bad idea. I'm sure he's at least considered those opinions. But ultimately it's his car.

He's already said (and I quote) "I know what I am doing, I am a mechanic and I have installed HIDs before on my cars." So someone just answer the question! Jesús Christo!

r56turbo... I'm interested in how you do this (although I may not actually do it), and how well it works. Keep us up to date!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Moxi its an internet forum, people never stay on topic, or not give their opinions, nor do they only have to simply respond to the OP. Its an open discussion you give, take, and leave what you want.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mendenheezy
I just took the Xenons off of my friends MCS, and stuck them in mine (stock halogens). Ballast and bulb are hooked up. The connector fits just fine, but when I started the car and tried to turn the lights on, nothing happened. Is there something else that needs to be done that make them work?
I think there is more to the OEM Xenons than swapping out the lamp unit . There are auto leveling sensors elsewhere in the car , plus maybe the reprogramming of the lighting module.

Last edited by djam43; 03-25-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by unixgal

The OP should PM Unixgal since she's already done it. She sounds like the only one so far that has the info needed.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:37 PM
ecupip
3rd Gear
Also if you use an aftermarket HID kit that isn't bi-xenon you won't pass inspection. It is very hard to get an aftermarket bi-xenon kit to work on new cars today.

Quick Reply: R56 R56 HID install