R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 A MINI On A Long Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:03 AM
minianni
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trips are great in the MINI. Comfortable and fun. Last year the wife and I went to MITM from NC. 4000+ mi. round trip. We went leisurely on the way out...did 1700mi. in 24hrs. straight thru on the way back (her idea) was happy the whole time. This was in Cabrio w/17's and sport suspension.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
We made a pretty good trip in our MINI. Tx, NM, Co, Ut, Nv, Ca, and Az. A bit over 4500 miles.
It was Sa-weet!
MINI takes to the mountains like a billy goat. Road noise and wind noise are at acceptable levels, even with the sunroof open. Gas milage was awesome, we got 43.8 mpg (hand calc'd) driving thru Utah. On that leg we drove 148 miles without passing another car, so we may not have been going the posted limits. ;-)
Would leave again tomorrow.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhbjrpdx
OK, I made the big mistake (according to the light of my life) of going down today and test driving a Cooper S. Uh...oh....

The car just begged to be pushed. My MA granted some "latitude" and I got a feel on some twisty roads. We were on a freeway for just a little bit. The car didn't seem overly noisy at freeways speeds. My long legs loved the room. The tester had 16" wheels and no sport suspension. The ride was alright, just stay away from them pot holes.

I am leaning toward the S with 16" Wheels, DSC, Limited Slip.

A couple of questions for the long time owners. How is the Mini on a long drive? I would like to use it to make some road trips but am still a little concerned that noise and ride may be a bit too harsh for the long runs. The MA said that he thought getting the Sport Suspension with the 16" was the best combination when it came to cruising. That seems odd. The "tight" steering was lovely on the twisties. Does it become a burdon when you want to cover some miles for a few hours?

Yea, I have the bug. I have been lurking here for a bit and love the pure motorheadness of the Mini folks. Thanks.
We just got back from Slovokia (to Germany) We averaged 95 mph hrough Sun Rain An Snow. The car was short on space obviously, and it is loud at 130 mph. For stateside driving I think its better than any Asian imports (compacts)

Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
We just got back from Slovokia (to Germany) We averaged 95 mph hrough Sun Rain An Snow. The car was short on space obviously, and it is loud at 130 mph. For stateside driving I think its better than any Asian imports (compacts)
What kind of gas mileage did you get at those speeds? Just curious. And do you have an MCS?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road trips are great

The MINI (w/ SS and 17" RFs) is great for two-people road trips. Used to do a lot of motorcycle touring (on BMWs, with hard luggage) so the space of the MINI seems quite luxurious. The picture in my sig is from a road trip to Lassen Nat'l Park last summer, taken right after I got the new MINI (which replaced a 2003 MC).

Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 PM
CaptainJason
1st Gear
I have an r53 w/ 17' rims and the sport suspension but I think the ride is very engaging but as the others said... it definitely is a drivers car haha The ride doesn't bother me or my friends but yet again I'd rather have an engaging raw car than a cushy old person car haha

Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 PM
ongbasa
Neutral
Just drove over 1000 miles round trip to the Grand Canyon/Northern Arizona. Our non-turbo Cooper was very comfortable for two adults and a child. The Mini was great fun on the two-lane highways and it cruised at 80+ mph all away there and back to So. Cal. without any issues of being underpowered. The suspension is stiff yet comfortable. The Mini handled all the bumps and cracks on the road well. Except for the large ruts and cracks in the slow lane that may cause the car to vibrate a bit, the car was never uncomfortable.

On the interstate the Mini was solid and the six speed auto tranny made quick surges of speed to pass big rigs a snap. I repeatedly found myself going over 100mph without even knowing it, until I looked at the speedo and saw the needle pointing too far to the right. I don't use Cruise Control, dont like it, my personal preference. I kept my speed between 80 - 90 in the open areas and the Mini felt like it was going 70.

This is my first long road trip in the Mini and there will be many more.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
Long trip? Sonoma to Gold Hill Oregon and back, along the twisty coastal route. Who needs cruise control? Find the long way home and enjoy the car for what it was made for.