R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 oil temp/pressure adapter update

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oil temp/pressure adapter update

This is a project that doesn't really seem to fit into some of the mod related forums as it's mechanical in nature but not related to interior or the drivetrain.

Anyway, I bought a pro-comp oil temp gauge and took measurements of the temp sensor and the existing oil pressure switch on the side of the head. It's going to be tight but I think I can get an adapter in there.

So I'm working with a mechanical engineer to have a 3D model made and we'll send it off to a local machine shop in about a week. We already have a rough drawing sketched out on a white board. I never could find something simple that would work with even minor modification.

I can see why people who wanted oil pressure could have a problem. Most oil pressure senders are quite large. However, pro-comp sells a really small version. The adapter I have made would accommodate one or the other sensor. Once we try that out, I could see that we might be able to make a slightly larger one to accommodate one of each sensors.

So far Mini Cooper parts don't seem too bad. I bought several of the sealing washers for the oil pressure switch. It's a pretty complicated washer with an integrated viton o-ring with sealing lips on both sides similar to a mini oil seal. Still, these washers were only $1.70 from the dealer.

I had a fun time trying to remove and reinstall the switch as I only had an impact deep well socket in 22mm. While that was okay to remove the switch, the socket wouldn't bite the hex head enough to put more than about 1 ft lb before it slipped. Had to get the wife to run to the store to get a chrome socket. I was too lazy to take out other car out of storage. :-p She got to the hardware store to find it closed and while parked in the parking lot someone tapped her car while parking. The guy who did it wouldn't even own up to it and walked into the store. I told her to call the police who promptly came out on a lazy Sunday afternoon and gave him a ticket for leaving the scene of an accident.

In the end I had a thin wall deep 22mm socket hidden away that worked. Doh! With all the aluminum on this car, I'm going to need a torque wrench with a lower range of torque settings.