R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Configurator confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Configurator confusion

Just wanted to start a thread about the configurator. I know almost all prospective Mini owners go there, some more than others, to make all sorts of decisions regarding options/packages/color schemes, etc. I did that. But who among us has changed their minds significantly after actually seeing the cars at the dealer? I ask this because I have seen posts where the person changed the paint color completely after seeing it in person. There's no way to compare the 2 blues or DS/PS unless you see them side by side. And the interior schemes are almost impossible to sort out without seeing them. I know my Tuscan Beige leather was not the same color as the config showed. Personally I think everyone should crawl through the lot or go to a rally and see lots of cars and wheels before ever considering placing an order for a new Mini. Thoughts?

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 04-07-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM
taligator
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I def. felt that way after seeing the all red leather interior (I forget the actual color name, sorry) but it was exceptionally orange in person and looked weird.

The hot chocolate interior on the clubman is also a very fake/strange brown that I didn't like after seeing it in person.

The BRG is also very different in person since it's a metallic and not as green as you'd think it would be.

Of course, the black is the same way .. not being a true black.

Yeah .. I'm sure most of us change our minds after seeing them in person.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM
MiniEsq
4th Gear
I used the configurator and it was extremely helpful, especially since my closest dealer is 3 hours away. It helped me do lots of research on what options I wanted....what options were "dream" options that weren't worth the money to me.....price of the car.....etc. However, I also went to a dealership to test drive a car because, as much as I wanted a Mini, it's all in the test-drive to me. (the test drive just made me love it more) It was good to have a conversation with the dealer and see the colors/options in person too. In fact, after seeing Oxygen Blue in person, I was in love and ordered that color! Everyone is different in how they go about getting a Mini but, for me, it was good to be able to spend time on the configurator first (to do my research before going to a dealer) and then go to a dealer when I was ready. I think doing both was best for me....and I'd suggest doing both, if possible. But, like I said, I was three hours from my closest dealer so the configurator worked well for me.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM
taligator
6th Gear
Even though there are 4 dealers within an hour of me, I still used the configuration site to do everything online before going to the dealer. I test drove twice (at two dealers) and bought after the second drive -- the only addition I made at the dealer itself was the sirius radio, it was a splurge and I could have done it cheaper with a plug-in model but didn't want the hassle.

Everything else was exactly the same as my online model.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Although the test drive was the most important part, I wish they would update the configurator.... For example, the JCW aero kit (and other accessories) still won't show on the car, the interior pic needs some work (which is why I missed out on the anthracite headliner)

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
you might ber better off configuring some setups and ask anyone here who might have such as setup to post their pictures. Might get more accurate representations.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:37 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The configurator is great for what it is....consider for a moment what life would be without it!! However (like all things) it does have it's limitations and so yes, I agree, one should consider using any and all tools available when ordering a MINI. For example...color aside.....it has become clear to me that dealers would have difficulty stocking all the suspension, wheel, tire combos that are so varied and yet have such an impact on how a MINI drives. This is where owner's groups, and even NAM, can be a big help. Same with anything related to the real-life benefit/drawbacks of certain options/packages...owner experience is beyond the scope of both configurator and dealership.

That said, many of us ordered our MINIs early enough that not all options were available, nor were all colors on cars at the dealership, nor did anyone else own them to offer input. In that context....relying heavily on the configurator (and input from MINI2 where the car had an earlier release) was...had to be...enough. Those little paint chips at the dealer did help, too, I must say...but not much! I admit, I had a few sleepless nights...but my it was fun!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
ct21
2nd Gear
Hi all, long time reader and first post - planning on getting a MINI later this year.

I too have found limitations in the configurator on the USA website. If you want a better representation of both the interior and exterior, use the UK site, which actually shows the difference between the regular and anthracite headliners, as well as a truer (IMO) representation of the exterior colors. It's not the best fix in the world and you still need the US site for pricing, but at least you can get a better idea than hoping a dealer will have what you want to see.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ah the configurator, it's car-****

great way to kill hours & days & months as you're prepping your order right up until you're locked in & production's started, but...
you need to see the colors, trim, seats, etc. in person and be prepared to make some changes/additions when you see them in person. Things like the anthracite headliner & the 'free' leatherette are really sharp in person, but look like crap in the configurator. Likewise, many of the expensive options (mostly the wheels) look really cheap in person & you'll probably want to save your money & buy aftermarket (take the 'free' ones in the meantime).

Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
MiniTopher
Neutral
I went for chili red with white roof/mirrors and in person it looked like the configurator. The factory stripes look better on the configurator and once I saw them in person did not opt for them.

I love the configurator and have spent, as one post mentioned, hours/days/months playing/planning. With that said, I think the interior is something that the configurator is not very good at rendering:

-The leatherette looks much more monotone in person as opposed to very two-tone online. In person, the perceived value of the leatherette is very high. The real leather option is very nice but not inexpensive. Real leather is the only way (I think) to get adjustable lumbar support, which is hard to determine in the configurator.

-The anthracite headliner is a great option (but $250...) and looks great in the car. Almost impossible to “A-B” on the configurator.

-The trim pieces across the dash look very different in person. I opted for the brushed alloy as it adds real metal (rather than plastic) and I'm glad the dealer had a car on the lot with it for me to compare. I went to four different dealers just to find one where I could compare the finishes in person.

-The center armrest should be played with, especially with a manual transmission, to determine if it gets in the way. It is also really small so there isn’t very much storage. It also takes up more space in the backseat which you can’t see in the configurator.

-The sound system can't be compared online. The HiFi is a great deal at $500 and is hands-down better than the base factory system. Even if your plan is to go aftermarket on the sound system, this option places tweeters in the A-pillar where they should go.

-Technology integration like Sirius and bluetooth as well as how they work with and without the nav system need to be experienced. The nav makes all of your infotainment that much better but a Garmin Nuvi is a better nav system just because of the touch screen rather than the spin/click joystick on the factory nav.

-I suppose the sunroof is half interior and half exterior. You can't tell in the configurator that there is no solid pull shade/screen. When I drove a mini with the sunroof, the sun came through the top of the car and then through the top of my sunglasses. I could have missed this had I not driven the right car during the right time of day.

I was speaking with a business associate who works for a car dealership (non-Mini). She suggested that I rent the car I was considering and drive it for a week, take it on long trips, play with everything, and see if was really for me. I couldn't find one anywhere to rent (other than ZipCar), so I just spent a bunch of time (I should have brought a bagged lunch!) sitting in cars at the dealer and playing with all of the different systems, test drove different configurations to feel the ride difference, road noise, ergonomics, etc. and then narrowed my options.

I also found NAM great for answering questions I never knew existed. Thanks NAM!