R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Leaving headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
MyBatmobile
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving headlights on

I forgot to turn off the headlights this morning but came back a few hours later to turn it off but the lights were already off. With lights off automatically, does it still drain the battery?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
PistWalrus
2nd Gear
Nope!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 AM
dreman
3rd Gear
Your battery is fine... the moment you take the key fob out of the ignition, it will cut power to the lights. That's been my experience thus far.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I leave my lights on pretty much all the time. Now that it's spring-ish I sometimes turn them off on the way home. But they shut off when you stop, and turn back on when you start it up again.

('07 MCS)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
My MA said that I could turn the lights on every time and leave it without worry because it will turn it off when engine stop and turn back on when engine start. That said, I do turn it on and off manually

Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
Yeah, I leave my lights on all the time (safety feature that helps people see me). I actually never bother to turn them off. I have the daytime running lights programmed in but with those I can't have my fog lights turned on, plus I don't want to be one of those idiots that forgets to turn on their actual lights and runs around at night without any tail lights thinking they are on because they can see their headlights.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
jw34
6th Gear
I leave mine on all the time too. It's also nice at night when you come up to the car and the remote will then turn on the parking lights if the lights were left on when you parked.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well a couple of things. If you leave the lights on it doesn't shut off immediately. It will wait a few minutes, maybe 2 or 3. This is noted in the manual and in the little booklet that you receive with the motoring package.

I keep them off and turn them on manually, with that said I have programmed the driving lights to be on all the time. So my headlights are always on, and the tails and interior lights need the switch. Although if I forget I don't worry because the car will shut it all down in due time without the battery drain.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:57 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Mine shut off off as soon as the FOB is out and the door is opened.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
^ Me too, not sure what valthun is talking about.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:11 PM
russr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
well a couple of things. If you leave the lights on it doesn't shut off immediately. It will wait a few minutes, maybe 2 or 3. This is noted in the manual and in the little booklet that you receive with the motoring package.

I keep them off and turn them on manually, with that said I have programmed the driving lights to be on all the time. So my headlights are always on, and the tails and interior lights need the switch. Although if I forget I don't worry because the car will shut it all down in due time without the battery drain.
If you turn off the engine, the headlights will go off right away. If you want the lights to stay on for 2-3 mins after you shut off your engine, you need to pull the flasher once the engine is off. This activates pathway lighting. The time the pathway lighting is on is settable.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you flip your headlight stalk forward after you remove the fob your lights will stay on for a preprogrammed amount of time.

Yeah...what russr said.Faster fingers

Last edited by Oxybluecoop; 04-08-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: type too slow
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Thanks, didn't know that about the lights staying on.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM
russr
5th Gear
it's kinda annoying though if you have xenons and you wan to activate pathway lighting because the lights go off once u turn the engine on and then you pull the flasher to turn them back on.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
If you flip your headlight stalk forward after you remove the fob your lights will stay on for a preprogrammed amount of time.

Yeah...what russr said.Faster fingers
Is it just because I'm OLD, or does this damn car have more features than the average brain can deal with??

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah it's amazing all the things you can do by just pushing or holding in that button on the stalk!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
yea, but can you turn the lights on indefinitely after you take the key out? like if you are just hangin out somewhere or looking for that quarter you dropped at night. basically, can you override the "safe mode" that the car seems to always be in, in case you are actually aware that your lights are on and know that you have to turn them off? also, do you guys know how to do the same thing for the radio? when i was washing my car and rocking out to The Beatles, the car would shut off like every 5-10 minutes, and i would have to turn it back on. annoying. i know the battery will die, just let me rock, ill turn it off before its dead.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, you just push the start button twice without the key in it (or without depressing the clutch, if you have comfort access). But why would you want the lights on indefinitely? How much of your time is a quarter worth? I do agree about the radio, though.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
well it was just an example. so that works for the headlights, thanks.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:37 AM
russr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by D-Unit
yea, but can you turn the lights on indefinitely after you take the key out? like if you are just hangin out somewhere or looking for that quarter you dropped at night. basically, can you override the "safe mode" that the car seems to always be in, in case you are actually aware that your lights are on and know that you have to turn them off? also, do you guys know how to do the same thing for the radio? when i was washing my car and rocking out to The Beatles, the car would shut off like every 5-10 minutes, and i would have to turn it back on. annoying. i know the battery will die, just let me rock, ill turn it off before its dead.
I don't think I've tried to turn on my headlights to the point of intentionally leaving them on. To look for a quarter or something, pathway lighting would be effective. It has been described above on how to turn this on. I didn't know you can hit the start button twice w/o the keyfob in to get the radio going. Does this work on non-comfort access cars?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
well its just that, in every car ive ever been in, you could turn on the lights and leave them on. its just something you should be able to do. same with the radio. yes, you can push the button to turn the radio back on, but it will eventually turn off in a few minutes. so im wondering if you can get them to stay on, the lights and/or radio. when you are waiting for someone and you want to listen to some tunes, you dont want to have to keep turning the radio back on. so im thinking there has to be a way to keep it on.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 AM
ongbasa
Neutral
On our recent trip through Arizona there were stretches of highway that required headlights on at all times, so when we stopped for dinner I forgot to turn off the lights. It was dark after dinner and when I unlocked the doors the lights came on.
This is a great feature. I would never want to be that driver whose car is described on the loud-speakers at the local store that "your headlights are on".