R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help Me Cure This Disease!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
mlichstein
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Cure This Disease!

This is my first post here, and I have to say this is a great community. But I need help

I made the mistake of taking an MCS out for a test drive last Saturday, and I can't get my mind off of this car! I would order one today, except for one slight problem: I still have 8 months to go on my current leased car

How will I ever last eight months (or maybe six, since I'm planning on ordering it)??

Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Ahhh, THIS disease! Yes, I too, suffered greatly from this. It was almost terminal, as I waited 6 LONG years. Finally, after following random MINIs and stopping a few from leaving parking lots just to talk to the drivers, my hubby caved and and suggested I order one.

Warning. . . the wait after the order is longer than you would ever imagine. . . 6-8 weeks that feel like 20!

So. There is no cure except possession of your own MINI. There ARE temporary fixes. . . rent one for a fun day, become a copilot of a MINI driver in your area, and hang out here on NAM!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
im sorry to be the bearer of bad news but without actually owning and driving the MINI daily, there is no cure.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
abcjh4
2nd Gear
Just be happy you have lots of time to research and figure out what you really want. Don't rush into it (like I did) and regret not having gotten some of the features! (Although I still love love LOVE my baby!)

The wait is gonna be worth it!!! :D

Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
I REGRET IT!

May 07, My wife had two choices; Chili Red Mini Cooper Convertible or the Red VW New Beetle Convertible. My wife chose the Beetle.

Sept 07, My wife said "I need a car for the business!" She went and got a Pepper White MCSa that was enroute to Morristown Mini.

I love my wife's MCS. I regret two things.

1. I have two car payments and my wife has two cars.

2. I have to wait three or four years to get my MCS Cabrio.

Eight Months...That's quick.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
gregdconsulting
2nd Gear
I thought about buying a MCS in 2002 and instead bought a CR-V. Last year I started thinking about MINI again and did some reading. Once I read about the new engine and increased fuel economy over the R53 I couldn't stop thinking about getting one. I picked mine up in May and have been extremely happy with my choice. I have had lots of great cars over the past few years, but not one do I have the same affection for that I do for my MINI.

On the financial side, make sure you can afford what you desire. If so, then enjoy or scale back your options list.

If I were to buy a new car today I think it would be another MCS (maybe a different color). I don't see anything currently on the market that would provide a comparable experience.

Greg

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
jearl
2nd Gear
I caught this very same disease two weeks ago (seems like 10) when I test drove an MCS. The lease on my current vehicle is up in two months so I'll probably be ordering in 2 or 3 weeks. Fortunately, there is NAM, MINIUSA.com and the configurator to keep me occupied. I will not be cured until I have my very own MINI. In the meantime, might I suggest configuring a MINI or ten, twenty, two thousand?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mlichstein
This is my first post here, and I have to say this is a great community. But I need help

I made the mistake of taking an MCS out for a test drive last Saturday, and I can't get my mind off of this car! I would order one today, except for one slight problem: I still have 8 months to go on my current leased car

How will I ever last eight months (or maybe six, since I'm planning on ordering it)??
8 months, yikes - I have three to five days to go and I am dying.....

Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
mlichstein
1st Gear
In the meantime, might I suggest configuring a MINI or ten, twenty, two thousand?
lol yes, I have definitely been doing a lot of that! And spending a lot of time reading through threads on NAM. I'm even thinking about getting a stick, even though I haven't driven stick other than a couple weekends in a parking lot when I was 15 (before my dad sold the car); all based on a thread here that shows it isn't too unusual.

I realize eight months is not that long, so I don't want to whine too much. Thanks for listening everyone!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I'm sure the originator of this thread is referring to his current lease as the disease. There is no need to cure a love of MINIs.

I think the angst just goes to prove: That which does not thrill you makes you long.

Last edited by rrcaniglia; 04-09-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
You've come to the wrong place for help with this obsession.

Nothing but enablers here

Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
Go back to the dealership every week for another test drive.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inimini2007
May 07, My wife had two choices; Chili Red Mini Cooper Convertible or the Red VW New Beetle Convertible. My wife chose the Beetle.

Sept 07, My wife said "I need a car for the business!" She went and got a Pepper White MCSa that was enroute to Morristown Mini.

I love my wife's MCS. I regret two things.

1. I have two car payments and my wife has two cars.

2. I have to wait three or four years to get my MCS Cabrio.

Eight Months...That's quick.

Oh my! That's brutal! Someone in the "how to track your MINI" post suggested that the MINIs should come standard with a hibernate mode or something. Then we could just run ourselves on autopilot until we got our MINIS!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Nomadic1
Neutral
Alas I lasted only 3 weeks. Picked up the Coop yesterday!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
apolinar
Neutral
Likewise I get one too

Still have 4 more months to go on my gm but I made a deal from the devil I just got my mini a week ago aaaahhhh what a relief I love my mini.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
I have a cure for you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdlG2rAopg8 This is the noise from my transmission. I brought the car in for service they replaced the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and made the problem much worse and wouldn't return my calls so then I met with a factory service rep and a representative from MINI USA, they both claim that it's perfectly normal and they will not attempt to fix it. So after you hear what a perfectly sounding MINI (according to MINI USA) sounds like you might be inclined to get a different car.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 PM
ram95
Neutral
You know i made the same mistake a month ago and i still cant get them off my mind (thats why i am on this board i guess). I have other issues on my hands, like the fact that my current car is 8 monts old (although paid off), i cant justify trading it in/selling and losing money on it for a mini. Grr!!!! I want to order one so badly

Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
rameshseth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mufflethis
I have a cure for you: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdlG2rAopg8 This is the noise from my transmission. I brought the car in for service they replaced the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and made the problem much worse and wouldn't return my calls so then I met with a factory service rep and a representative from MINI USA, they both claim that it's perfectly normal and they will not attempt to fix it. So after you hear what a perfectly sounding MINI (according to MINI USA) sounds like you might be inclined to get a different car.

Thats terrible. Hope they fix your MINI...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. These kinds of issues make me a little bit more hesitant to jump, though I love most things about the cooper.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
I've been eyeing them for 3 or 4 years, talked to many drivers, sat in a few, took a MCS for a test drive, ordered Fearless the next day !! birthday is the 10th, I call MINI everyday, I can't not !! So now the wait is on and it's killing me !! So now I sit and wait. the cool thing is I work in NYC harbor, and I see the WW ships coming into Newark all the time, hopfully I'll see the ship she's on coming in, now that would be cool !!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:16 AM
mlichstein
1st Gear
Originally Posted by apolinar
Still have 4 more months to go on my gm but I made a deal from the devil I just got my mini a week ago aaaahhhh what a relief I love my mini.
What kind of deal, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:21 AM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Bad news, mlichstein - owning your own MINI will not cure the disease that you have.

Ownership causes this sickness to metastasize in such a way that the only remedy is a routine, daily fix of get-behind-the-wheel-and-drive. If that is not possible, the symptoms may be temporarily alleviated by going into deep detailing mode.

When out of sight of your MINI for a prolonged amount of time, the nervousness and withdrawal symptoms can be eased by spending time here on NAM.

But, you will cope better now if you face the fact that your case is terminal.

My advice: spend time on the configurator, plan your purchase, test-drive multiple times... those months will slip by...your marriage (should you have one) will be over, but hey, you'll be sure of a new love that will be a perfect fit

Last edited by surlycat; 04-10-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tugboatboy
...the cool thing is I work in NYC harbor, and I see the WW ships coming into Newark all the time, hopfully I'll see the ship she's on coming in, now that would be cool !!
That would be pretty cool! You'll have to take pictures so anyone else that has MINIs on that boat would be able to see, also!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 AM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
Oh you can be sure of that !! if anyone knows what ship their baby will be on and it's coming to Port Newark or Elizabeth, let me know, if I see it I'll snap a pic of it for ya ! happy motoring, or, in my case, WAITING TOO MOTOR !!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surlycat
Bad news, mlichstein - owning your own MINI will not cure the disease that you have.

Ownership causes this sickness to metastasize in such a way that the only remedy is a routine, daily fix of get-behind-the-wheel-and-drive. If that is not possible, the symptoms may be temporarily alleviated by going into deep detailing mode.
There is also a complication that can set in. That is the continuing need to add modifications. It can start with a custom stripe, or simply an "Actual Size" sticker and go on and on...

Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
LUCK219
5th Gear
Someone mentioned way up in the thread that their mini took 6-8 weeks to be delivered. Mine took exactly 46 days from ordering to delivery! =)

Quick Reply: R56 Help Me Cure This Disease!