R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DIY Clear Bra (Update)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 PM
kimguroo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Clear Bra (Update)

No one gave any long term review on the cheap DIY clear bra so I took a few pictures. I installed DIY clear bra about 6 months ago.
there is a slight shrink on hood part and there are dirts on the edge of bumpers. Actually, I could not wash my wife's mini for 5 months because of severe drought conditions in GA.
so far so good. only spent under $50.
I don't see any chip on entire front hood and bumper .

Attached Thumbnails DIY Clear Bra (Update)-dsc_0127.jpg   DIY Clear Bra (Update)-dsc_0123.jpg   DIY Clear Bra (Update)-dsc_0126.jpg  
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
Looks pretty good.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:19 AM
()()==
2nd Gear
Your work looks quite good from the pictures. Thanks for the post.

Could you link to or retype information about where you got the material, ease of installation, etc? $800 or so for a professionally-installed clearbra is difficult to swallow. Under $50 sounds much better if the process was relatively painless, and better yet if the process was relatively quick.

Any thoughts about acetone on factory paint for wax removal?

I wonder if you might see bubbles near the fog lights with a pro installation too?

Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ()()==
Your work looks quite good from the pictures. Thanks for the post.

Could you link to or retype information about where you got the material, ease of installation, etc? $800 or so for a professionally-installed clearbra is difficult to swallow. Under $50 sounds much better if the process was relatively painless, and better yet if the process was relatively quick.

Any thoughts about acetone on factory paint for wax removal?

I wonder if you might see bubbles near the fog lights with a pro installation too?

The proper way to prepare the surface for the bra install in NOT acetone.

Use a claybar and dawn soap to fully clean the surface.
The bra can be waxed just like the paint once installed.

Too many people and installers neglect to fully claybar the surface prior to install and this traps paint contaminants which will degrade finish over time and then bra needs to be removed to repair this damage.

I have had a professionally installed 3m clear bra product on another vehicle for 3 years and 38k miles and the finish under the bra is as shiny and deep as the paint surrounding the bra, but I keep everything claybarred and waxed regularly, at least quarterly and the vehicle is garaged as well. (install/product $800+)

The mini has another type of clear bra product and still has that showroom finish after 8+ months and 7000 miles and it is a daily driver and is also garaged and regularly clayarred and waxed. (install/product $500)

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Lyme
2nd Gear
I purchased a clear bra for the hood and front bumper for under $50.00 from fleabay. The instructions recommend two persons for the install. I did it myself. Should of had a partner. I am going to replace it this spring in conjunction with replacing the stripes. I think that with patience, proper preparation and definitely a second set of hands it can be done. My daughter in law just purchased an 08 328xi with a $1000.00 front bra. Definitely looks better than mine. I figure that even if I replace it every year or so, and I can change striping if I want, I am still way ahead. so there.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
kimguroo
1st Gear
Here is the previous thread regarding DIY Bra.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=diy+clear+bra

I used klasse wax once after installed the clear bra.
I think I applied one coat of red bottle and two coat of silver bottle. can't remember the exact name.

The Key of DIY installation is all about "patient"

Last edited by kimguroo; 04-12-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Curious... how do you propose to get the dirt out from the edges where the film didn't adhere properly ? If you pull up on it to clean under there, it's going to just loosen up even more of the film = more dirt under there later.

But hey, after watching a pro do mine, kudos to you for even having the nerve to do this job.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
kimguroo
1st Gear
I won't touch any dirt on the edges. actually, it looks like some shadows
it was only $35 and better than nothing. the film looks thick and it does good job for paint chips so far (I see couple of chips on grill though). since mini has very thin paint, I might see some chips on hood and bumper without the bra.
I will post update review after 6 months from now.