R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:57 PM
redfiver
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
MINI of Mountain View went to MSRP in spring of 2007 on the MCS. I don't know what they are doing on the Clubman. When I ordered in March 2007, I agreed to a $1,500 dealer fee. When I took delivery in May, the fee had quietly disappeared.
MINI of Mountain View is quoting a $2500 markup on the Clubman S when I was there on this last Tuesday. A friend ordered a MCS about two weeks ago and there was no Markup. I'm jealous as I haven't ordered one yet (that 2500 markup was a killer) and my friends MINI is on the boat already!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
GP2002
1st Gear
I would never buy from the SF dealership...they seem nice but who wants to pay the added markup. I ordered mine from Mountain View. I got mine for about $350 under MSRP.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
odobo
2nd Gear
Hey guys, thanks for all your input.

end up I called both mountain view and pleasanton dealership, they both have a car coming in at the end of this month with close to the options that I want... and I decided to go w/ pleasanton because they are the 1 thats getting the laser blue

I had excellent service in mountain view and they were selling at MSRP. Pleasanton was ok.... my MA seems to know his stuff better than the MA in concord and was being helpful, but he is a bit cool about selling car to me just not how a regular car sales would greet his customer I should say.

but anyway... had some good experience there too... and now waiting for my baby to arrive~ (my mod/add on stuff are arriving starting today tho lol)

Old 04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
diabolik!
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
I went to Concord and they were great! Service is good as well.

Enjoy that new MINI!
i would stay away from this dealership at all costs. single worst consumer experience of my life. bay area dealerships leave a lot to be desired, I would just order from out of state and drive the car back to SF.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
I ordered from Mountain View and my MA was totally no pressure, which I really liked. She told me that MCS sold at MSRP whether ordered or off the lot and that Clubman had an added markup because its allocation was so small (ie, higher demand). I didn't ask about MC prices.

I had previously looked at Hondas and Mazdas and sales people at those dealerships were much more what I expect from a car dealer (ie, aggressive). Particularly at the Mazda dealership, the sales person was really pushy. Time will tell if the MV MINI dealership is easy to deal with, but so far I'm happy with them.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Went to Sacramento to buy mine. If you do, look for MA Crystal Ewing. She listens, gets you what you want, doesn't waste time, and is pleasant, too. Have gone to Concord and Mountain View for parts. Have been served OK at these places. When buying my MINI, I shopped 8 dealers in CA, including Concord, Mountain View, and SF. Crystal in Sacramento beat them all in price, promptness, and courteousness.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
I was quoted MSRP plus $995 Mark up due to "high demand" from Mini of Concord. They also told me that if I order now I will get the 09 late October. Anybody has a better deal and with who/MA name? I really hate to pay over MSRP. It is just unreasonable.

Cheers

Old 07-17-2008, 04:42 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dinlaka
I was quoted MSRP plus $995 Mark up due to "high demand" from Mini of Concord. They also told me that if I order now I will get the 09 late October. Anybody has a better deal and with who/MA name? I really hate to pay over MSRP. It is just unreasonable.

Cheers
Eastbay MINI is MSRP.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Who do you deal with/recommend at East Bay?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I've worked with both Blair and Robert at East Bay. Blair was more attentive, but Robert was really nice and had great goodies for me on delivery!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
I also dealt with Blair but I honestly can't recommend him to others. Jesse was good IMO. I would order my next car from Jesse.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ASTRBLKR56
Hands down East Bay MINI! They are the most helpful and you'll def. get a MINI experience there. When I went to go test drive there, they just took a copy of my license and threw me the keys and said be back in about 20 min!! it was awesome! Great service and they sell cars at MSRP!

+1 for East Bay MINI. Everyone I've worked with there as but nothing but nice.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
I ordered my MINI from SF. Didn't go to any other dealership except MV, to test drive an S, but didn't find them to be as friendly as Hans at SF MINI. I went in numerous times before ordering my car, and each time Hans was there to answer all my questions.

My only regret was in NOT waiting until he was there to place my order because when we'd first gone in (Memorial Day weekend), he'd told us that there was no markup on the MC or the S, just the Clubman, but by the time we went in to order (and he was off that day, so we dealt with another MA whom I totally did NOT like), they were saying that there was a $1500 markup. I balked at that, and Evil MA did the whole "let me go talk to my manager" thing but got us out of the markup because I was willing and ready to pull the plug there and go elsewhere to get my MINI at MSRP.

But if SF is now regularly charging a markup, I'd absolutely tell you to get your MINI from a dealer that's only charging MSRP.

Nice thing about SF for me is that I can take MUNI downtown when I go to pick my car up, and when it goes in for service, assuming I don't have anywhere else I need to be, I can take MUNI back again. I've never gotten a loaner from a dealer when I've taken any car in for service, so getting one would be nice, but I'm certainly not expecting it, unless the car was in the shop for a good, long while.

I can't imagine having to drive to Pleasanton, Concord, MV, or Sac for service when I've got a service dept. downtown from me.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dinlaka

Cheers
That's sad to hear Mini of Concord is charging a markup from MSRP. I ordered my car from them in March and when it came at the end of April, I paid MSRP plus tax and license. There were no dealer prep fees or other hidden charges. I have nothing but positive things to say about them as a dealership. My before purchase, purchase, and service after the purchase has been nothing but a positive experience. First class all the way. I wouldn't pay over MSRP for a Mini either especially since MSRP guarantees that the dealer is already making a profit. Good luck in your purchase.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jgarner53
I ordered my MINI from SF. Didn't go to any other dealership except MV, to test drive an S, but didn't find them to be as friendly as Hans at SF MINI. I went in numerous times before ordering my car, and each time Hans was there to answer all my questions.

My only regret was in NOT waiting until he was there to place my order because when we'd first gone in (Memorial Day weekend), he'd told us that there was no markup on the MC or the S, just the Clubman, but by the time we went in to order (and he was off that day, so we dealt with another MA whom I totally did NOT like), they were saying that there was a $1500 markup. I balked at that, and Evil MA did the whole "let me go talk to my manager" thing but got us out of the markup because I was willing and ready to pull the plug there and go elsewhere to get my MINI at MSRP.

But if SF is now regularly charging a markup, I'd absolutely tell you to get your MINI from a dealer that's only charging MSRP.

Nice thing about SF for me is that I can take MUNI downtown when I go to pick my car up, and when it goes in for service, assuming I don't have anywhere else I need to be, I can take MUNI back again. I've never gotten a loaner from a dealer when I've taken any car in for service, so getting one would be nice, but I'm certainly not expecting it, unless the car was in the shop for a good, long while.

I can't imagine having to drive to Pleasanton, Concord, MV, or Sac for service when I've got a service dept. downtown from me.

you can take your MINI to any MINI dealer for all service/warranty items. you don't have to take it to the same dealer you bought the car from. some people do it because a lot of the dealers are limiting courtesy car to customer who bought the car from them. seems for you it's a non-issue.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
A friend of mine has an 02 MCS, purchased and serviced by Mountain View (MV), and I had an 02 MC purchased and serviced by East Bay (EB) -- which I've since replaced with an 07 MCS.

Both cars suffered from a failed window motor. The workaround is to bang on the inside of the door. But its only a temporary fix.

My friend's dealer, Mountain View Mini, refused to fix the motor because the problem was "sporadic." So now my friend has a MINI, out of warranty, with a bad window motor.

My dealer, East Bay, replaced the motor without any question.

This was not the only problem they had with MV. I've had zero problems with service at EB.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Thanks for all your response, guys. Concord Mini is the closest to my house. But it seems East Bay is a much better dealer to buy and service based on your experience. Hopefully I will get the same deal and great service.

Cheers.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought from MINI of Mountain View over a year ago. No real problems, but the MA knew less about the new 2007 MCS than I did.

Their service dept. has been on strike for over two months (it may be three).

Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM
CK
1st Gear
East Bay IMHO. The previous poster was right. I was there looking at the cars and no one was hounding me, which I thought was weird, but once I went inside and asked to test drive one, they took my license copy threw me the keys and told me to come back in 20 mins. Needless to say, went back a few times more and ordered this week and with no mark up. In and out in 30 minutes. Was a easy experience, but I'm also sure it depends on your MA to some extent.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
CLum85
1st Gear
If you are a AAA member and don't like to haggle I would suggest going to Mini of Concord. The AAA pre-negotiated price they quoted me was $500 off msrp which is pretty decent considering that some dealers won't even sell at msrp. Concord and SF are the only dealers w/ AAA representatives.

In the end I ended up going to east bay mini b/c I'm too impatient for an order. Luckily they matched my quote from concord.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
CK
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CLum85
If you are a AAA member and don't like to haggle I would suggest going to Mini of Concord. The AAA pre-negotiated price they quoted me was $500 off msrp which is pretty decent considering that some dealers won't even sell at msrp. Concord and SF are the only dealers w/ AAA representatives.

In the end I ended up going to east bay mini b/c I'm too impatient for an order. Luckily they matched my quote from concord.
Which Mini did you get from them? There were only 5 or so on their lot, chances are I test drove yours!
In case you did buy that one, "I'm sorry for peeling out!" Kidding!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM
CLum85
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CK
Which Mini did you get from them? There were only 5 or so on their lot, chances are I test drove yours!
In case you did buy that one, "I'm sorry for peeling out!" Kidding!
I bought mine a month ago when they had a lot more than 5 on the lot. The employees at Mini of Mountain View were on strike then so East Bay pretty much had their inventory. My ds/b Mini was also recently delivered so the chances are you never laid your dirty little mits on her.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 PM
SkinnyMINI
2nd Gear
Wow thats crazy that MINI of Concord is marking up their prices.....I had put one on order early June, gotten week 28, and then changed my mind and gotten one of the lot. I picked it up July 3rd. No markup! I got free carmats, but nothing else, but at least no markup. I worked with Jason Krupa there, he was really nice.

At the time i was looking, SF and Mountain View were marking up, and East Bay and Concord were not. Though I live closer to East Bay then Concord, I ended up choosing from MINI of Concord because they were smaller and less crowded when I first went in (I knew I had to buy off the lot because I didnt have any other car to drive in the meanwhile).

Old 07-24-2008, 01:08 PM
maximus96
3rd Gear
i'm also looking to put it an order for a MCS this coming weekend or the next. When I spoke to "JR" at Eastbay over the phone, he told me there is a $2000 markup for the MCS for phone and internet quotes but it is negotiable in person. Now that i see a bunch of you guys getting it w/o markup i hope i can do the same. so far the 5 locals, including sac, are all quoting me 2000-2500 markup on the MCS.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96
i'm also looking to put it an order for a MCS this coming weekend or the next. When I spoke to "JR" at Eastbay over the phone, he told me there is a $2000 markup for the MCS for phone and internet quotes but it is negotiable in person. Now that i see a bunch of you guys getting it w/o markup i hope i can do the same. so far the 5 locals, including sac, are all quoting me 2000-2500 markup on the MCS.

JR must be the new guy. My gf took a few friends over to Eastbay to test drive a MINI about 3-4 weeks ago and was "helped" by a new guy that we've not seen before. Who was pretty much clueless when it comes to MINIs. Call up Jesse Antonio Direct: 925-251-7043. I didn't buy mine from him but next time I will order mine through him.

Quick Reply: R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?