R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 AM
navicaph
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up my Coooper S at East Bay last weekend for a $750 markup, that was originally a $2000 markup. Definitely beats Mini of Mountain View that didn't want to budge on their $2500 markup.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by stooken
I want to drop by East Bay and Concord to check out what they have in inventory but I'm so lazy to drive that far!
I'm going to East Bay Mini tonight to modify my order. I can ask about their inventory if you tell me what you're interested in. When I was there Saturday, they had about 10 or 12 cars out of various models. They also have a storage lot offsite with some additional undetailed cars (but those might be ones people have ordered).

Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 AM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by navicaph
I just picked up my Coooper S at East Bay last weekend for a $750 markup, that was originally a $2000 markup. Definitely beats Mini of Mountain View that didn't want to budge on their $2500 markup.
Which one did you get? Was yours the mellow yellow on the showroom floor?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 AM
stooken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dinlaka
You can browse their webpages on line at EastBaymini.com and Miniofconcord.com and check their new car inventory. I don't think they have many in stock now especially East Bay. I stopped by 2 weeks ago and they only have a few. Good Luck!
Originally Posted by eR1c
-I think your right. When I was in 3 weeks ago it looked like they had about 5 cars including the 2 or 3 that were test drive cars. The MA told me that they were having a difficult time keeping up w/ demand.
Same with Mountain View. They told me they might get 2 more cars in but that's it. Either you buy what's on the lot or order for October delivery.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM
jgarner53
4th Gear
I feel so lucky to have ordered when I did! (imagining out of luck potential MINI owners longingly peering in the window of my car at the dealer before I pick it up)

A few times I was at the dealer before my order, they were low on cars, and owners' cars were outside (!) on the rooftop lot with signs in them indicating they were sold. You could look, but not touch! But it helped give the impression of a full lot.

Odd, but that didn't seem to be the case with the BMW's in the same lot.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
WYSIWYG
2nd Gear
I went through my Credit Union's car buying service and they set me up with the Fleet Manager at Mini of Concord. He's been very helpful, but not the most informative. At least I'm getting it for $200 under MSRP. A screamin' deal considering the current market.

-C

Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
stooken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
I'm going to East Bay Mini tonight to modify my order. I can ask about their inventory if you tell me what you're interested in. When I was there Saturday, they had about 10 or 12 cars out of various models. They also have a storage lot offsite with some additional undetailed cars (but those might be ones people have ordered).
Can you check on any Dark Gray MCS' with black roofs? I can deal with not having certain options but that color is a must!

Originally Posted by WYSIWYG
I went through my Credit Union's car buying service and they set me up with the Fleet Manager at Mini of Concord. He's been very helpful, but not the most informative. At least I'm getting it for $200 under MSRP. A screamin' deal considering the current market.

-C
Yeah! I just heard about that service at Meriwest. Nice job getting $200 off MSRP. You are God to most people now.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
CK
1st Gear
I was told by my MA when I ordered mine (7/18) that they were expecting two MCS manuals in a few weeks. I know one will be held for test drives, but the other will be sold for sure. Haven't checked in awhile whether East Bay Mini got those two in or not, but worth calling and asking!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
navicaph
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kewlby
Which one did you get? Was yours the mellow yellow on the showroom floor?
Was that the Clubman? I just picked up a Laser Blue/White Cooper S. They didn't have too many new Coopers to pick from...

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Back from East Bay Mini and $850 poorer, or will be in a few months...

Stooken: no dark silver w/black top. What EB shows in stock on their website is exactly what they have now. You might want to call them to ask when a dark silver might be coming in.

Dinlaka: I put another good word for you. Let's hope for free mats in a few months.

I listened to the stock stereo vs. the upgrade and there is most certainly an audio difference. I ended up adding the hifi.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Kewlby- Thanks again, man, for putting in good word for me. Greatly appreciate it . If I got plenty of gifts, I will sure send a few your way .

Sad to hear you are a bit poorer but the hi-fi sound good. I didn't have a chance to pay attention to it much during test drive. I just emailed Jesse and he told me the production week is week 36. Is yours the same?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
kewlby
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dinlaka
Kewlby- Thanks again, man, for putting in good word for me. Greatly appreciate it . If I got plenty of gifts, I will sure send a few your way .

Sad to hear you are a bit poorer but the hi-fi sound good. I didn't have a chance to pay attention to it much during test drive. I just emailed Jesse and he told me the production week is week 36. Is yours the same?
I don't even have a production number yet.
Jesse said to call him next week to get the number. I ordered mine one week after you, so I may be in the next production week.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
I was at East bay this past weekend, and true enough to all of your words, there is a $2000 markup. Now if I am to order through Jesse is he willing to waive it? Or would I have better luck going to Concord or even out of state? If out of state, what dealerships would you guys reccomend?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 PM
TECENG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dookiepower
I was at East bay this past weekend, and true enough to all of your words, there is a $2000 markup. Now if I am to order through Jesse is he willing to waive it? Or would I have better luck going to Concord or even out of state? If out of state, what dealerships would you guys reccomend?
If you are local (Dublin?) they should waive it. I was told that they get a lot of people from out of the area come in to get a Mini at MSRP, then they never get the service business form them because they are from out of town.

Just ask, they should waive the markup.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
Yep, Local from dublin, getting really interested in getting a mini, since I'm only 18 I am a little afraid to go to the dealership by myself and ask for a test drive. Would really like to just even ride around in one to see how I like it. any suggestions?

Old 09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
wongtonsup
1st Gear
Thanks for this thread. First time MINI shopper. I've visited SF and Mtn View and spoken to East Bay and Concord.

SF - refused to waive $2500 markup on showroom 2008 MCS. i couldn't close, but after reading many posts about them, i suppose i'm happy i didn't close.

Mtn View - straight talker. $2500 markup on 2008. had 2 2008 MCS in house, but they weren't quite what I wanted.

Concord - No 2008 MCS in stock. $500 refundable deposit towards purchase price. $995 markup on new 2009 order. December delivery as of this week 09/08/08. Said I would negotiate the final price on arrival.

East Bay - 2 2008 MCS in stock, but not what I wanted. $1000 refundable deposit towards purchase. $2000 markup on new 2009 order, but they said it was negotiable. Still slots for Nov delivery as of this week 09/08/08. Said they wanted to negotiate price up front - need to come in if i wanted to deal on the markup.

It looks like EB and Concord are good choices per this thread. Any advice for getting them to waive doc fees, prep fees, dealer markup, other hidden fees?

Thanks.

| MCS | laser blue | black top | black racing stripes | black lounge leather | premium package | 16" spoked wheels | xenon headlamps | white turn signals | limited slip differential | dynamic traction control | manual |

Last edited by wongtonsup; 09-09-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
snowcap_millie
2nd Gear
I'd recommend Concord any day. I hear their service is stellar too (since my little baby is aboard the Elektra right now). Mtn View is just up the street and I am absolutely taking the time to drive 45 minutes-1 hr to get my car serviced at Concord. One thing about the Sales crew at Mtn View though, nice folks. Would have like to do the business with them, but alas, it did not work out this time.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wongtonsup
Thanks for this thread. First time MINI shopper. I've visited SF and Mtn View and spoken to East Bay and Concord.

SF - refused to waive $2500 markup on showroom 2008 MCS. i couldn't close, but after reading many posts about them, i suppose I'm happy i didn't close.
I have intimate knowledge of MINI SF [BMW] and the owner of the dealership. I know how the service department works, including their service / check-ups that people pay a fortune to have done. I used to take my 740i there for warranty work.

Without going into detail about the owner's personality and method of operation, I'd avoid MINI SF like the plague. If MINI SF had the last MINI in the United States I would not buy it from that place.

I am taking my MINI to East Bay MINI for anything that needs to be done [including warranty work.] The significance of that statement is evident when noting that I live in San Francisco and MINI SF is about 10 minutes from my residence. East Bay MINI is over an hour's drive.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 09-09-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend Mountain View, but with the recent changes and problems there I couldn't say any more. We shouldn't need to go back there until next May, I'll see what happens then.

When I was there last they were marking things up substantially, like $1500/$2500/$3500 for MC/MCS/JCW.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:24 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelSF
I am taking my MINI to East Bay MINI for anything that needs to be done[including warranty work.] The significance of that statement is evident when noting that I live in San Francisco and MINI SF is about 10 minutes from my residence. East Bay MINI is over an hour's drive.
I have the same opinion of MoMV. I live less than 10 minutes from it, but I drive the hour to East Bay.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wongtonsup

SF - refused to waive $2500 markup on showroom 2008 MCS. i couldn't close, but after reading many posts about them, i suppose i'm happy i didn't close.

Mtn View - straight talker. $2500 markup on 2008. had 2 2008 MCS in house, but they weren't quite what I wanted.

Concord - No 2008 MCS in stock. $500 refundable deposit towards purchase price. $995 markup on new 2009 order. December delivery as of this week 09/08/08. Said I would negotiate the final price on arrival.

East Bay - 2 2008 MCS in stock, but not what I wanted. $1000 refundable deposit towards purchase. $2000 markup on new 2009 order, but they said it was negotiable. Still slots for Nov delivery as of this week 09/08/08. Said they wanted to negotiate price up front - need to come in if i wanted to deal on the markup.

It looks like EB and Concord are good choices per this thread. Any advice for getting them to waive doc fees, prep fees, dealer markup, other hidden fees?

Thanks.

| MCS | laser blue | black top | black racing stripes | black lounge leather | premium package | 16" spoked wheels | xenon headlamps | white turn signals | limited slip differential | dynamic traction control | manual |
If you go with Eastbay MINI (and Jesse), I would suggest mentioning to him that several of us on here is getting NO MARK UP on a special order 2009. So it would be also good for any future forumites who would want to go the same route.....paying it forward...

In term of hidden fees, I am yet to confirm if there will be any. But I swear I read it somewhere in this forum that Eastbay MINI charge around $50-59. Can any recent buyers confirm this?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 AM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
Buying Out of State

Can California residents even buy from out of state? I thought there were regulations preventing that, so that folks can't circumvent the CARB laws.

If you can buy from out of state, use the internet to get quotes. Instead of $1500-$2500 premiums, you can get a one-way air ticket and enjoy a might nice road trip home!

I've retrieved new vehicles that way twice: once from 300 miles away when in Texas and once from Utah when I lived in Colorado (400 miles). Nice...

Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 AM
maximus96
3rd Gear
East bay has no hidden fees besides the $55 Doc fee. its MSRP, tax, title and lic, and doc fee.

I know in CA if you buy out of state you have to pay CA sales tax and have a smog check done, eventhough its brand-stinking-new.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:59 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maximus96
East bay has no hidden fees besides the $55 Doc fee. its MSRP, tax, title and lic, and doc fee.

I know in CA if you buy out of state you have to pay CA sales tax and have a smog check done, eventhough its brand-stinking-new.
yep that is what my friend had to do with his new subaru. you pay the tax when you register it in CA and you have to get a smog check and you don't get the usual 4 years (up to 5years) of exemption from smog checks.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Dinlaka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maximus96

Thanks, Maximus96. That is the peace of mind I am looking for regarding the Doc fee at Eastbay.

Quick Reply: R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?