R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
odobo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?

Hey guys I got a quick question.

someone stole my car 2 weeks ago and finally the insurance company is going to settle the claim this week, now I need a MINI~

the question is there are 4 dealership around this area.... which 1 do you guys recommend? I probably need a lot car instead of order 1 as I cant go to work w/o a car so I wanna ask which dealer being helpful and if you were able to get a nice deal on your MINI? I went to Concord to test drive a S but the MA was busy dealing w/ another customer so he didnt give me much information

thanks~

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM
ASTRBLKR56
2nd Gear
Hands down East Bay MINI! They are the most helpful and you'll def. get a MINI experience there. When I went to go test drive there, they just took a copy of my license and threw me the keys and said be back in about 20 min!! it was awesome! Great service and they sell cars at MSRP!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:00 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
East bay mini

Something to consider is that, with several dealers available, five if you include Sacramento, you can choose one for the purchase, and perhaps a closer dealer for service.

Having said that, I pass MINI of Mtn View on my way to East Bay MINI for purchase and service of my current and previous MINIs. I like that they charge MSRP and they have saturday service appointments. I've been very satisfied with their professionalism.

Last edited by gaston; 04-13-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:47 PM
ubdylan
3rd Gear
I went to Concord and they were great! Service is good as well.

Enjoy that new MINI!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gaston
Something to consider is that, with several dealers available, five if you include Sacramento, you can choose one for the purchase, and perhaps a closer dealer for service.

Having said that, I pass MINI of Mtn View on my way to East Bay MINI for purchase and service of my current and previous MINIs. I like that they charge MSRP and they have saturday service appointments. I've been very satisfied with their professionalism.
MINI of Mountain View went to MSRP in spring of 2007 on the MCS. I don't know what they are doing on the Clubman. When I ordered in March 2007, I agreed to a $1,500 dealer fee. When I took delivery in May, the fee had quietly disappeared.

I've had two warranty repairs there -- a software update, and a re-spray of the scoop because the paint didn't quite match. Both went smoothly without problem.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:45 PM
odobo
2nd Gear
hrmm.... seems like everyone have had their good experience in the dealership they went.... except no one went to the SF 1 I guess I will have to shop around myself to find the mini I want.... too bad I cant wait for 6 weeks to order mine

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
I went to the SF one, felt like they could've done a lot better, customer service was non-existent, no contact whatsoever besides ordering, and payment.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
frumpysf
2nd Gear
I live in SF and went to EB for my car. Superb service and they've sold all their cars at MSRP since day ONE. They don't believe in mark-up prices!!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:54 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by odobo
hrmm.... seems like everyone have had their good experience in the dealership they went.... except no one went to the SF 1 I guess I will have to shop around myself to find the mini I want.... too bad I cant wait for 6 weeks to order mine

I heard that SF Mini still charges as much as $1,500 above MSRP. Guess they figure that since people pay a premium to live in SF that they"ll pay a premium to own a Mini. My boss lives in SF and he said he'd never buy from them. They were very unhelpful when he went in. I don't see how they can stay in business with the horror stories I've heard about them.

I ordered mine from Mini of Concord. My MA Mari has been very cool to work with. She told me that they get a lot of customers that went to SF and were turned off by their lousy customer service. I went into Concord Mini after making an online appointment on March 1 for my test drive just to be on the safe side. Like East Bay, Mari made a copy of my DL and just handed me a key and told me to go have fun. I drove a non S Clubman automatic and a MCS automatic that day. After my test drive, I went ahead and placed the order. Mari was able to squeeze my order in for a March Production date. My car was finished on the 14th of March and is currently on the Madame Butterfly due into Port Hueneme on the 20th of this month. Concord sells for MSRP + tax and license as well. The only negative impression that I got is that they probably won't throw in any freebies but that's not a big deal to me.

When I tried going to East Bay for a test drive without an appointment, not one person came up to me and asked me if I needed help. Thought that was kinda rude. I'm sure everyones experience dealing with Bay Area Mini dealers vary depending in the day you go in. I found that weekends probably aren't the best time to go inquire about a Mini. With that said, In the end it's all about the car.

BTW, Concord Mini does have several new cars on the lot that have been discounted probably due to them being in the inventory for longer than they hoped. There are a few good deals on some nicely equipped cars from what I saw on the website www.miniofconcord.com . According to the website, the specials go to the end of this month but I'm sure that if they don't sell all of the cars that they'd still be willing to deal to get those cars off their lot and make room for some new ones.

My two cents .

Old 04-13-2008, 11:56 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ubdylan
I went to Concord and they were great! Service is good as well.

Enjoy that new MINI!
Glad to hear that about the service. I do agree the sales dept is cool thus far.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:16 AM
odobo
2nd Gear
The MA that took me on the test drive was Claro, I do have to agree that he was a pretty nice guy and maybe I will have to go back again some other time w/o him dealing w/ another customer I see they have special on their online inventory too and they do have the car that meet what I want... unfortunately thats the demo stick shift car and it has 200+ miles on it already... if they are willing to put a discount on that then maybe I will think about it... but otherwise the car in their lot isnt interesting me

Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
wrong forum. the MOD needs to move/merge it...otherwise i'll start talking mad trash about a particular dealership. and its not east bay mini. i'm currently cool with EB.

Last edited by steaming79; 04-14-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: wanted to clarify who i don't have a beef with
Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought mine at in Mountain View. I've had it in for a few minor fixes twice, including getting the front bumper repainted. Everything has gone smoothly and they seem very helpful and friendly.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
im1hapa
2nd Gear
I agree about the San Francisco sales customer service. They do still charge $1500 markup for the Cooper, $2500 for the S. Every encounter with the sales department (from 2006 to present, they were nice to me when I purchased my '05 for MSRP after telling them I was going to order from another dealership) was met with indifference, or flat out rudeness. It probably doesn't help that they seem to have a new sales crew every 6 months!

One time I went there to check out the newly released '07, and the salesman actually ignored me after passing by me multiple times, and then locked the car while I was in the middle of checking it out! I complained to the manager, who apologized profusely only after I told him I had purchased my car from their dealership. When I left, I found that he was scoping me out from the roof parking lot (probably to see what car I was driving). He looked a bit embarrassed when I looked at him and waved.

Their Service department is spotty as well. I've had mediocre service at best, and I've frequently had to take my car back more than once after they have "finished" servicing on my car. My partner actually had to chew out the service manager when they had taken almost 2 weeks just to properly look over his bad clutch (finally replaced under warranty, with a loaner given only when the complaint was filed with the service manager).

I have heard better dealings with East Bay MINI, although I have not yet been there (convenience has been an issue, but I'm seeing more and more of a non-issue after my dealings with SF--perhaps I'm an unconscious sadist?)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
drewster
3rd Gear
Probably luck of the MA you get and timing as to when you go into the dealer. Bought mine from SF MINI, didn't pay any markup but even got some off MSRP.

No experience with their service yet since I haven't had to bring the MINI in. Parts people were friendly and helpful with miscellaneous wheel lugs and oil change items.

It's not all bad at SF MINI.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
I test drove at Concord Mini but bought at Eastbay. Both are very good. I was looking for a MCS in either Laser Blue or AB but Concord Mini ran out of MCS so I bought from EB Mini.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
I bought mine from East Bay MINI. On delivery the air bag had to be replaced because there was a big gauge on the face of it and the rear bumper had to be repainted because there was a gouge on the bottom of it (just above the exhaust tips). Both repairs were done properly and I was given a car to use (MINI Cooper Auto) for 7 days.

I put nearly 1000 miles on that car in 7 days and they had no problems with that at all and the repairs were done properly and most importantly to my standards.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Yzo
2nd Gear
I test drove at MINI of Concord, and will be purchasing there as well (The MINI's on the boat as I type).

They're selling to me for $500 off of MSRP.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
morbius
Dr. Morbius
I went to East Bay MINI. Got the best price, best service and extremely friendly. East Bay MINI has bent over backwards for us and we thinking of getting a second one them !

Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Yzo
I test drove at MINI of Concord, and will be purchasing there as well (The MINI's on the boat as I type).

They're selling to me for $500 off of MSRP.
Okay, who did you talk to to get $500 off? Did you negotiate that during the order? I could use the extra $500 to get some extras.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I bought my MCSa from Concord MINI from Claro. I walked in and my end price was approximately $1800 off the sticker. Not bad I guess??? They sold 7 cars that day, and had more to move. Claro was a good guy, though he didn't have his technical facts like the more experienced sales guy. Not a big problem for me cause I do lots of research before buying anything.

Overall people were very nice there, and the overall experience was pretty cool. I actually bought my used M3 there 5 years previously, and had a good experience as it is a combination Concord MINI/BMW store. The place is brand spanking new. I got to peruse the new 1 series, and the awesome new M3 Coupe

Though I've never used there service department for my BMW cause I found lots of good Indy Shops in the area. I'll check back when I go for my first service experience.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Just putting another vote in for East Bay if you sticking to the Bay Area (and yes, calling in advance or making an appt online is really a good idea). Don't be afraid to venture further afield to find the right car and best deal though, it can be way worth the road trip (which can also be fun ) and your warranty service will still be covered locally.

We've driven across country to pick up a car, but obviously you don't have to go that far - a day trip or quick overnight will increase the pool of available cars and possibly deals quite a bit.

Good luck and enjoy - and don't forget to inspect the car with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery

Last edited by eVal; 04-15-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot
I bought my MCSa from Concord MINI from Claro. I walked in and my end price was approximately $1800 off the sticker. Not bad I guess??? They sold 7 cars that day, and had more to move. Claro was a good guy, though he didn't have his technical facts like the more experienced sales guy. Not a big problem for me cause I do lots of research before buying anything.

Overall people were very nice there, and the overall experience was pretty cool. I actually bought my used M3 there 5 years previously, and had a good experience as it is a combination Concord MINI/BMW store. The place is brand spanking new. I got to peruse the new 1 series, and the awesome new M3 Coupe

Though I've never used there service department for my BMW cause I found lots of good Indy Shops in the area. I'll check back when I go for my first service experience.

I ended up buying from Mini of Concord because I live less than 10 minutes from there which will be convenient for servicing and rushing down there when my car arrives. Prior to buying I stopped by a couple of times to look at the cars on the lot. Claro was helping another customer but took the time to greet me and make sure that I got a brochure as I told him that I was only looking that day. That left a good impression on me. I went to East Bay and walked around for almost 15 minutes and not one person came up and at least said hi. When I booked my online appointment, Mari was the available MA that day so she took my order. Claro was there and remembered me and congratulated me on buying a car. Mari told me that they don't work on commission so I guess there is no competition among the MAs to pressure you into buying a car which was very cool to me. Sounds like the MAs job is customer satisfaction at Concord.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
BRONTOBUFFY
2nd Gear
Just a comment about East Bay Mini not offering you a test drive...I talked to an MA there and he said their policy there is to let you look at the cars by yourself without them hounding you, and then if you come in they happily offer you a test drive.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RussKeys
I ended up buying from Mini of Concord because I live less than 10 minutes from there which will be convenient for servicing and rushing down there when my car arrives. Prior to buying I stopped by a couple of times to look at the cars on the lot. Claro was helping another customer but took the time to greet me and make sure that I got a brochure as I told him that I was only looking that day. That left a good impression on me. I went to East Bay and walked around for almost 15 minutes and not one person came up and at least said hi. When I booked my online appointment, Mari was the available MA that day so she took my order. Claro was there and remembered me and congratulated me on buying a car. Mari told me that they don't work on commission so I guess there is no competition among the MAs to pressure you into buying a car which was very cool to me. Sounds like the MAs job is customer satisfaction at Concord.
Yeah Mari is cool...so was Gina. She got my garage door opener out my trade-in car because Claro was not around. Like a doofus, I left it on the visor They all seem like good peeps, and they love their product. In fact Claro owns a JCW version...uprated to 200hp. He offered to sell me his crown spokes, as I wasn't fond of the flame spokes that came on my car. But it is growing on me.

BTW...I was told by more than one MA that they don't work on commission. However, I bet they work on some type of volume bonus/incentive plan. Maybe a split of the volume as whole for the dealer. They had their best month last month with 70 Minis sold. Not bad.

Quick Reply: R56 Which dealer to go to in SF Bay area?