R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Texas Cooper Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
jasonsellers
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Cooper Owners

Texas Owner's
Not trying to beat the dead horse but, I am seeing post of discounted MINIs (500 off msrp), freebies, any luck negotiating your Cooper? Yes or No, and what dealership, any help greatly appreciated, looking to order within the next two months.
-Jason

Old 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have friends who worked out a discount at MINI of the Woodlands. I live near Moritz MINI...no discounts there.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:28 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
We didn't get any discount on our 08 and definitely none on our 06. I think GIR purchased his at the Woodlands as well so I am not sure if he has connections there or not.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 PM
jasonsellers
1st Gear
TDM156,
When you order from BMW/MINI Center SA, did they throw in anything? (floormats, accessories, keychains?) Were you pleased with your overall experience? How is there service department, rentals? Thanks.
-Jason

Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
see your pm

Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
PM sent from me too!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Bor
3rd Gear
got 500$ off MSRP + mats from Lee Carter at MINI Momentum in Houston and excellent service through the whole process last November for a custom-order R56

Lee is a MINI owner himself lurking around these forums sometimes...

Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
houstonviper1
HoustonTxRx
I just purchased mine a couple of weeks ago form Momentum in Houston. Great guys there. Lee Carter was recently promoted to finance so he is not in sales anymore, but Jared helped me out and I had a pleasant experience. I got free mats and stripes put on mine. Also, since my car did not arrive on time he tinted the sunroofs for me with the huber optik tint which would of cost around 400 bucks. They are a great bunch of guys there that are honest and professional, I highly recommend them.

Scott
08 MCS MY

Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 PM
gjhsu
5th Gear
No discounts on ordering a MINI from MINI of Dallas... at least for me.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
MoD usually tosses in a freebie. On RRoCO we got free mats. On Tinkerbell we got a chrome bonnet scoop and free install of chrome mirror caps (we already had but never had a chance to install on RRoCo).

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 AM
MTRHED
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gjhsu
No discounts on ordering a MINI from MINI of Dallas... at least for me.
I looked at your pics. Congrats. I am coming out of a 400hp (crank hp) 335. I was at BOD looking for a coupe and ended up getting a MCS of the lot. All I could get from them was window tint (roof / limo), mats, stripes, tank of gas and to waive the $250 charge to swap the JCW wheels off and back to OEM webs . He would not budge on any of the above until I honestly told him Moritz was at $500 off.
Pick her up today. What great weather for a good wash, clay bar and Meguiars(sp) day spa package at the house.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:16 AM
powersM3
Neutral
Negotiation in Houston.....

My recent experience in Houston was that both dealerships were very willing to negotiate (with me). On a factory order 2008 MCS (delivered 3 weeks ago) I negotiated one to $1,500 off of MSRP and the other to $1,400 off MSRP. I went with the later as I had spent a lot more time and test drives at that dealership over the past 18 months than the other.

Have about 400 miles on the Dark Silver Metallic/Redwood Red 2008 MCS. Sport Pkg, LSD, Xenon, Alarm, Auto AC, Hi-Fi, Anthracite h/l, auto dim rvm, center arm rest, rear fog lamps, leather multi function steering wheel, (and free floor mats and keychain). NO: auto, sunroof, or nav - and proud of it!

Initial impression is the cornering is close to my old '04 M3!!!! Not quite the same acceleration as the BMW - but I am trying to keep under 5,000 (oops 4,500) rpm. Fuel mileage on the first tank was 50% better than the M3. 90mph in the car feels like 40! Road trip to Waco this weekend.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 AM
MTRHED
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by powersM3
My recent experience in Houston was that both dealerships were very willing to negotiate (with me). On a factory order 2008 MCS (delivered 3 weeks ago) I negotiated one to $1,500 off of MSRP and the other to $1,400 off MSRP. I went with the later as I had spent a lot more time and test drives at that dealership over the past 18 months than the other.

Have about 400 miles on the Dark Silver Metallic/Redwood Red 2008 MCS. Sport Pkg, LSD, Xenon, Alarm, Auto AC, Hi-Fi, Anthracite h/l, auto dim rvm, center arm rest, rear fog lamps, leather multi function steering wheel, (and free floor mats and keychain). NO: auto, sunroof, or nav - and proud of it!

Initial impression is the cornering is close to my old '04 M3!!!! Not quite the same acceleration as the BMW - but I am trying to keep under 5,000 (oops 4,500) rpm. Fuel mileage on the first tank was 50% better than the M3. 90mph in the car feels like 40! Road trip to Waco this weekend.
Great. With a V1 I got 3 tickets in the 335 w/i 9 months. I had a 98 M3 convertible...miss that car. I broke the 335 in hard and it liked it. I have not viewed "break in" here yet. I have always done the hard break in. Should I be hesitant w/ my MCS?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:45 AM
powersM3
Neutral
Life is full circle.....20 years later.....

My second car (after my 1985 Dodge Omni GLH) was a 1988 Dodge Daytona 'Shelby Z'. This was a little lightweight, 2 door FWD hatchback, with a 175 hp intercooled turbo engine. .....sound familiar. This was classic '80s crap: pop-up headlights, T-Top roof, turbo boot gauge, multi inflation points on the drivers seat, Goodyear Eagle 'Gatorback' - 225/50/15 tires (those were considered large then!), etc.....but for a 1988 it had a drivers side airbag and factory CD!

To my point - had to sell it after less than 2 years as way to may tickets - the (dumb) things you do in your 20s. After 10 years of driving RED M3s...never a conviction on a traffic offense. I do remember the torque steer on the Daytona was horrendous. If you did not have it aimed and keep it aimed when you hit 14psi - you would be off the road on a nanosecond.

I hit 5000(+?)rpm in the MCS this morning merging onto the beltway...oh well.

Sold the '04 M3 Coupe last month and before that had a '98 M3 Sedan - factory delivery in Munich!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MTRHED
Great. With a V1 I got 3 tickets in the 335 w/i 9 months. I had a 98 M3 convertible...miss that car. I broke the 335 in hard and it liked it. I have not viewed "break in" here yet. I have always done the hard break in. Should I be hesitant w/ my MCS?
There's very little actual proof as to which break-in method is better, and I suppose manufacturer's just put the guidelines in the manual to cover their asses so that if you break it in any other way, and there's a problem, they can say "rtfm, noob!" and not help out (not that MINI would do that, or even condone it, but we've all heard horror stories before).

Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
TBMINI
2nd Gear
Just picked up mine less than 2 weeks ago and MINI of The Woodlands through in carpet or rubber (i choose carpet) and window tint all on all windows.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
cucho
3rd Gear
Momentum mini in Houston...ask for Chevis (tall dude) he will hook you up

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Vim
1st Gear
Ordering from MC-SA

Originally Posted by jasonsellers
TDM156,
When you order from BMW/MINI Center SA, did they throw in anything? (floormats, accessories, keychains?) Were you pleased with your overall experience? How is there service department, rentals? Thanks.
-Jason
Jason,

I've taken a few test drives at MC-SA and am contemplating placing an order there. I live in SA area. Based on what you've learned to date, what can you advise. Send me a PM. Thanks, -- Vim

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Fig Faun
3rd Gear
Vim,

I'm dealing with Robert Silva at the MINI Center of San Antonio, and he's given excellent customer service.

I actually went to Momentum in Houston in '03 when I bought my first MINI, because I couldn't get any service whatsoever out of the guy in San Antonio. I couldn't get the guy to run me through financing or to return messages, or basically to deal with me at all.

But this go around, I sent my config to MINI of San Antonio, and Rob e-mailed me the same day, asking what he could do to assist me. He's extremely knowledgeable and explained everything on the test drive. There's never been any pressure; he just let me know he'd be available whenever I could come in. He responds to all e-mails the same day, usually within a couple hours (he even e-mailed me back from home on his day off once.) I even made them go through the hassle of a re-order, and he's still given me top-notch customer service.

Through the whole process, he's kept me up to date without solicitation. I've never had to call him up, because he's constantly giving me updates before I even ask. I really couldn't recommend him enough. I would call him up or e-mail him. Tell him Bryan Kupke recommended him.

Rob A. Silva
Motoring Advisor
MINI Of San Antonio
Office (210)732-7129 x 293
Mobile (516)668-6500
rsilva@miniofsa.com

Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Vim
1st Gear
Fig Faun,

Thanks for the helpful advice! BTW, with your previous MC, did you have any servicing performed at MC-SA? -- Vim

Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Fig Faun
3rd Gear
I had all my servicing performed there, actually, as it's the only reasonable one to get to for that. (When it's towed, it's towed to the nearest dealership, which is in your neck of the woods.)

I can't say I've always had good experiences with their service dept. On my first scheduled maintenance, they left the tail-lights out of their compartments, and I didn't discover it until I got home (an hour-and-a-half.) I went to inspect a smell coming from the rear and found them melted clear through the boot liner.

I told them about this, and they said they'd fix it on the next trip down. I was rear-ended and had the car towed down there. They asked if I wanted it replaced before or after the body work was done, and I said after. Well, they told me I could pick up my car on a Saturday, and when I got down there, they hadn't replaced the liner. When I pointed it out, they said Saturdays were too busy, and I'd have to leave the car until Tuesday to have it done. After I'd already had someone drive me the 100 mis. down there.

After the second scheduled maintenance, I got home only to find out my alignment was off and had to pay for one at a shop here.

That said, I did have some normal/good experiences, too. They replaced two batteries, my power window motor, and a tire without problems. They always worked with me to help find a reason to have the car towed down there at their expense, which was nice. I just seemed to have a couple of bad experiences that tarred the image somewhat. The times I had a good experience, it was really good, though. Their service reps are polite and helpful in getting you around the city while you're waiting. They're communicative and prompt. The customer service is top notch.

That said, even if you chose to go to Austin for service (there's supposed to be a dealership here by the end of the year), the sales dept., from my current experience, is definitely worth dealing with, and Rob in particular.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Vim
1st Gear
Fig Faun,

Appreciate the recap of your previous service experiences at MC-SA. Although you've had some negative stuff happen, it seems you've been more than fair in your appraisal, overall. I wish you much satisfaction with your new MC, and that your MA will represent your interests fairly, in dealing with service advisors, in any after-sale warranty questions. Let us know how things go. -- Vim

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Fig Faun
3rd Gear
Will do, Vim; thanks! Let me know, if you do go with MC-SA, how your experience goes.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:42 PM
nota_troll
1st Gear
Just read the thread. I'm pleasantly surprised to read some M owners leaving for Mini because I'm considering it too.

With fuel prices and my daily driving, I thought about getting something fun and fuel efficient. Having had several performance cars (S4, Ms, 911s) I think the MCS is a great alternative.

I'm eagerly trolling NAM.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:49 AM
MTRHED
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nota_troll
Just read the thread. I'm pleasantly surprised to read some M owners leaving for Mini because I'm considering it too.

With fuel prices and my daily driving, I thought about getting something fun and fuel efficient. Having had several performance cars (S4, Ms, 911s) I think the MCS is a great alternative.

I'm eagerly trolling NAM.
My 335 was getting 15.6 in the city. My MCS just keeps showing higher and higher MPG. I would think it is at it's peak. I drive it fairly hard....27.7 MPG.

Quick Reply: R56 Texas Cooper Owners