R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport button - useless

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
is a real difference that isn't present in the manual version. I'm sure that makes more than just a perception difference.
I believe it changes the shift points in the AT, so yea, a real difference.

With the MT, I wonder if the faster responding throttle might actually make a difference in 0-60, or autox times?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I LOVE the sport button. It's great for rev-matching and heel-and-toe!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 AM
snid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
With the MT, I wonder if the faster responding throttle might actually make a difference in 0-60, or autox times?
Only if it takes you a perceptibly long time to push the throttle pedal all the way down.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:08 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NashvilleMiniStan
On my R56 I use it to tighten the suspension when driving curve roads.
The sport button doesn't change the suspension geometry, the R56 has a fixed suspension, not an active one (Sorry, no PSSM on your MINI ).

The only thing it does is make the throttle slightly more responsive and enable the "Overboost" feature. If you're unlucky enough to have an automatic it will also stretch out the shift points for you.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree.
It makes a HUGE difference with the auto.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by drewster
I don't remember the last time I used the SPORT button. Useless to me, if I want to go faster, I just step harder on the accelerator.
Useless? You've got to be kidding! The car is a completely different animal in sport mode!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
I don't leave home without it. With less than 200 mile on the odometer, I have "tapped" it a couple of times. In 1000 mile I will stand on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew a guy that was shopping for a new car and tried a Mini at my advice. He hated it; too harsh, he said.
He bought a Solara...
A freakin' Solara....

If you don't notice the difference with the sport button, you're just not driving the car at a level to appreciate it.
On my manual car, the biggest difference that I noticed was the steering; it always felt too twitchy without the sport button.
On my AT car, it's the shift-points and throttle response. Makes the semi-enthusiastic driving effortless and entertaining at the same time.

I suggest that you try a track day and do a few laps with the button off and then on. Report back to us after that.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I used sport mode all the time when I first got my R56 Cooper as it more closely approximated the feel of my R50. Now I use both modes depending on what I want the car to do...for example, I personally get slightly better mpg in non-sport mode, but really I like launching in sport so some days I just have to use it. I admit, the effects are subtle, but they are there nonetheless. No, it doesn't add more hp, but it's not about that...it's about different modes of accessing the power that is available. I drive a manual Cooper...I don't think the throttle effects of sport mode can be duplicated w/ one's foot.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
I also have a Cooper 6M. I like the extra heft of the steering in sport mode, although the steering in my previous vehicle was so light by comparison that even the non-sport steering feels pretty darn good. However, I haven't been able to discern any real difference in throttle response in sport mode so far. Could be I just need to spend more time in the car (only had it for six days).

Old 04-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
... but really I like launching in sport so some days I just have to use it.
I think that Peter Parker would admit that it's fun to be SpiderMan even when there's no bad guy to fight...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Just wish I could get mine to stop turning itself on all the time

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
When I first got my MCS, I never used the sport button. Compared to the 10 year old Mazda Protege 5 speed I had been driving, it felt lightning fast and responsive without it. Now, however, I use it all the time and on those occasions I forget to swithc it on, it definitely feels slower and sloppier. It's all a matter of what you are used to. Like it on? Like it off? Great. No need to harass anyone else about it. At least Mini decided to give us a choice.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
At least Mini decided to give us a choice.
Yes, I think it pays tribute to the dual nature of the Mini/MINI. Is it an efficient, benign little commuter car? It is a nimble, engaging performer??? Yes, it's both!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
9 times out of 10, I forget to turn it on. When I do remember, I think to myself "YEAH BABY!"

Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
Only if it takes you a perceptibly long time to push the throttle pedal all the way down.
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
The only thing it does is make the throttle slightly more responsive and enable the "Overboost" feature. If you're unlucky enough to have an automatic it will also stretch out the shift points for you.
Overboost could lead to faster times.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
It's fun, and I love the heavier steering, but the throttle response is a bit twitchy for stop-and-go traffic.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
If I forget to turn it on--happens about once a week--I quickly am reminded of it when I almost stall the car taking off in first. I think the dead spot in the accelerator pedal with the SPORT off makes for more clutch slippage and faster clutch wear.

I feel like Michael Knight everytime I get in the car to drive, except he would hit buttons on the headliner, expose his prodigious chest hair and wear a leather jacket. Key in, push start, push SPORT, push and hold ASC, ready to proceed.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
snid
6th Gear
Overboost could lead to faster times.
I believe overboost is available with or without the sport button pressed.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
ejkd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
Makes a huge difference with the auto trans, can't comment on the manaul. I'd drive with it on all the time if it wasn't for these damn gas prices ($3.76 per at my last fill up ). Even so I drive with it on probably about 50% of the time - just can't resist! Makes me do this

I much agree; these gas price giving me a second thought to use it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:30 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
I believe overboost is available with or without the sport button pressed.
Exactly.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Susie2110
Neutral
That's cheap! Yesterday it was $4.17 here. Since oil when up $2 today, it will probably be higher tomorrow.
I am in England - try $9.80 a (British) gallon.

Someone's 'avin' a larf

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
I have an MCSauto

I thought I would use Sport a lot more then I actually do. Come to find out that on the Auto if you flip the shifter to the left/M/S mode then you get the same shift points as being in Sport mode. As long as you don't manually shift then the car stays in auto with the new shift points. Nothing else changes. I use this in traffic all the time and it is very handy.

I find I only use sport when I am really driving hard as the heavier steering helps me control the car under heavy torque steer. I actually prefer the more accurate throttle control when sport mode is off. You lose a lot of finesse and play in the throttle with sport mode on. It acts more like an on off switch then I'd like. As another poster already mentioned I can get my foot to the floor in the same amount of time if sport is on or off.

Sport mode is great and one of the reasons I bought the car even if I don't use it all that much.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Usually I leave it off, but I'll kick it on when I want to 'treat' myself. I didn't notice much of a difference when I was doing test drives, but now that I've owned the car for awhile the sport button adds a whole lot more zoom. Usually I only use it at launch time, either when I'm in the front of the line at a highway entrance ramp or if I've got someone new in the car and I want to show off at a red light.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
bcski
3rd Gear
By the time I hit the second curve up the mountain to work I notice if I haven't hit the button. With it off it is a nice ride like my subaru baja, with it on the steering is much more responsive and quick...

Quick Reply: R56 Sport button - useless