R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport button - useless

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USELESS?

Originally Posted by drewster
I don't remember the last time I used the SPORT button. Useless to me, if I want to go faster, I just step harder on the accelerator.
Surfblue says: Hey, to each his own. However, if you can't remember the last time you used it, are you sure you have used it enough to note the difference on and off? I turn mine on every time I fire up and drive, because when I forget, I cause the engine to "stumble" as I don't give it enough gas. With it on, it's like I was driving by a cable on the throttle pedal, and with the button on, there's a portion, maybe a large fraction of an inch, piece of cable that's been adjusted out of the throttle cable, so throttle response is faster. Even with it on (I am not saying this to tick anybody off, ok?) the 07 MCS does not have as tight a throttle response as the Yaris hatchback the lady of the house drives. That's right. When I get in that econobox, I do a small tire chirper every time I take off, because the throttle response on that little box is TIGHT...tighter than the MCS with the sport button on!! I'm serious.
Calling it USELESS isn't correct...I'm guessing that's only correct for you. If you don't turn it on, it's not used...therefore, for you, IT'S USELESS. If you like that exagerrated throttle stomp, hey...go for it. It DOES WORK as intended. And it does have a USE. It also slightly tightens the steering response. I leave it off when I get out on the freeway, but other than that, it's ON...and thanks to Mini for giving me a choice. The difference in gas mileage by my calculations is less than 1 mpg. I bought a Mini because it drove "snappy"...I want SNAPPY.
It's also a standard feature, so what's the big issue? Do you feel like you got "burned" by having it on the car?; i.e., you paid for it, but don't like it? Just wondering.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
KNTRKTOR
1st Gear
If you drive without the sport button engaged, you are just driving a mini. Unleash your mini's inner demons and transform it into a MINI , Engage the sport button!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:32 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're not with me, you're against me!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:16 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
When I first got the car I didn't leave home without it. Then a few times I decided to drive without it. The steering is far superior with the button off. Now I only use the sport button on a long highway trip. The throttle response thing is a joke. It is in fact useless. Push harder. I'm normally 100% floored anyway so it makes no difference. Also in the twisties you've got better throttle control with the button off. You can't possibly drive on hard twisties with that on off throttle and numb steering. If you are you've been had by the idea of the "sport" button.

Sport = button on.
Race = button off.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phantasms
When I first got the car I didn't leave home without it. Then a few times I decided to drive without it. The steering is far superior with the button off. Now I only use the sport button on a long highway trip. The throttle response thing is a joke. It is in fact useless. Push harder. I'm normally 100% floored anyway so it makes no difference. Also in the twisties you've got better throttle control with the button off. You can't possibly drive on hard twisties with that on off throttle and numb steering. If you are you've been had by the idea of the "sport" button.

Sport = button on.
Race = button off.
You sure yours isn't wired backwards??

Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
You sure yours isn't wired backwards??

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 AM
snid
6th Gear
I wish I could get the steering weight of sport button on, and the throttle map of sport button off. It is easier to modulate the throttle with the "slower" non-sport map... the pedal has more travel between "closed" and "open", which means it's easier to dial in the amount of throttle you want when coming out of a turn.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:21 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
I wish I could get the steering weight of sport button on, and the throttle map of sport button off. It is easier to modulate the throttle with the "slower" non-sport map... the pedal has more travel between "closed" and "open", which means it's easier to dial in the amount of throttle you want when coming out of a turn.
OMG. Someone else who gets it.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phantasms
OMG. Someone else who gets it.
Since you keep your car floored all the time, what difference would it make to you? Of course, we all know that isn't true, so, maybe there is another underlying issue??

Old 04-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
I find it almost unbelivable that people with the manual can not notice the difference.

the aggressiveness of the throttle changes how you apply the gas on fast up shifts and changes how hard you have to apply the throttle to rev match on down shifts. The difference is night and day with the sport button.
There is at least a delay on the power delivery with the sport mode off. You have to shift slower to not slip the clutch.

I do find the steering too heavy with the sport mode on and perfer feel of the regular steering at low speed.

even getting stuck in traffic with sport mode on or off makes a big difference.

Last edited by Bhatch; 04-17-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I prefer the "heavier" steering with the sport button on. But, I'm used to Mercedes, which have fairly heavy steering, too.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
minimin
Neutral
I love the sports button! If i am just driving to work I won't turn it on. But in the weekend when I really want some fun driving, I will turn it on and here I go!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
William Blake
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
I find it almost unbelivable that people with the manual can not notice the difference.

the aggressiveness of the throttle changes how you apply the gas on fast up shifts and changes how hard you have to apply the throttle to rev match on down shifts. The difference is night and day with the sport button.
There is at least a delay on the power delivery with the sport mode off. You have to shift slower to not slip the clutch.

I do find the steering too heavy with the sport mode on and perfer feel of the regular steering at low speed.

even getting stuck in traffic with sport mode on or off makes a big difference.
true

Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there is definitely a difference with the sport button on and off. Now I normally keep it off during daily commuting and don't have any problems. However when I hit the hills I am usually with an MGC GTS and a Lotus Elan. While in either mode I can't keep up to either of them. However whit the Sport button on I have a better chance. In the twisty hills with the Sport off by the time I can reach a decent speed to catch i am breaking and i get a sloppy turn. With it on, i remain tight on the corners (tighter than either of those cars from my view) and i am able to get to 50 before hitting the next corner, rather than struggling to get to 30. The throttle level is definitely tighter and has a better response, as well as the tighter steering that allows me to get in and out of the corners quicker.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
I almost passed on ordering a MCS when i test drove without sport button. The steering felt so light like it would fall off and noticeable lag between gas pedal and throttle response.

Next week with sport button and I want one NOW

Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINImizeMe
I almost passed on ordering a MCS when i test drove without sport button. The steering felt so light like it would fall off and noticeable lag between gas pedal and throttle response.

Next week with sport button and I want one NOW
Exactly my perception. First time I used the sport button, I left a patch at the "starting line" and the steering --- great!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 AM
SJ Skid
2nd Gear
Have to echo a lot of folks: I was simply amazed at the difference, even in the first few, short times I had the Sport button pressed. (I held off during break-in.)

Last weekend I had my first chance to drive in Sport for a distance on a twisty road and I had my passenger and/or I yelping and occasionally "Ohhhing!" a lot.

On this drive, strangely, despite the focus on it being a twisty and not terribly fast route, I noticed the change in the the throttle more than the steering. As someone above wrote, it unleashed the inner MINI daemon! Since then I've been able to keep up with a Merc AMG, I think much to the driver's annoyance.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
When I test drove, my MA was very quick to turn the Sport Button on.

Last night I tried driving a well known bit of twisty road with the button on and with it off. I wanted to see if I could tell exactly what the difference in steering was. Seems to me that it is just a difference in the amount of power steering assist. There doesn't seem to be any change in responsiveness, it is just how easy it is to turn.

While more assist requires less effort to toss the car around, it isn't what traditional sports cars felt like. Sports cars used not to have power steering.

It is too bad that one can't toggle the steering and trottle adjustments separately.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
People should note that the MINI is powered by a electronic motor and what you feel is the torque response curve change from the servo motor.

I think a while before people wanted to improve the steering feed back of the MINI steering, to do so only requires a new program for the ECU for how to control the servo motor response. With time manufactures of steering control units will know how to tune electronic drive systems more closely to match hydraulic steering feel.

The throttle is purley by wire and response is easy, feed back is hard.

Last edited by Bhatch; 04-18-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Edited to be clear
Old 04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
People should note that the MINI is drive by wire and what you feel is the torque response curve change from the servo motor.

I think a while before people wanted to improve the steering feed back of the MINI steering, to do so only requires a new program for the ECU for how to control the servo motor response. With time manufactures of steering control units will know how to tune electronic drive systems more closely to match hydraulic steering feel.
So, you are saying that the steeringwheel is completely isolated from the steering mechanism, and any feedback is a computer simulation?

How is it that people report a change in steering feel after installing suspension mods such as the Alta PRS?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Need
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
It is too bad that one can't toggle the steering and trottle adjustments separately.
I completely agree with that. I love the tighter steering, but I don't like the RPM going up so high. I only used sport button for the first 2 months and then not again after that. Also I am lazy and don't want to push it every time.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
So, you are saying that the steeringwheel is completely isolated from the steering mechanism, and any feedback is a computer simulation?

How is it that people report a change in steering feel after installing suspension mods such as the Alta PRS?
It is not by wire, only throttle by wire. It is electronic power settering and it is done with a servo motor. I think i kinda did not make that clear.

most regulations will not allow a steering by wire or brake by wire system as of yet due to safety concerns.

they notice a difference because the system is still mechanically connected, but electronically assisted. The servo torque response changes the PS characteristics.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Steering on Ferrari's is a lot closer to sport button off. My z06 felt like sport button on. I've had enough of the overboosted pretend sporty feel. Raw true feel is where it's at.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
...and because this is my opinion you're all wrong if you don't agree with me.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, honestly I don't think of "sport mode" as more sporty (especially on a manual) and non-sport less...it's just two different setups. Ideally they (steering and throttle) would be seperate, but oh well. I know owners who prefer non-sport when they're doing spirited driving and some who use sport for everyday driving, and visa versa...it just depends on conditions and what the driver wants. I don't think there is a right answer on this one, except for driver preference.