R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help needed - Garage Door Open Programing

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help needed - Garage Door Open Programing

Howdy everyone, I have the 2007 with the homelink buttons built into the rear view mirror.

I have tried over and over again and just can not get these buttons to program, my wifes durango programs in seconds, but for some reason the mini does not like to learn.

I have gone through the directions in the manual step by step and still no luck, anyone have a similar problem or can give some tips on getting this thing to work.

(I have tried the learn code button on the garage door with no luck)

It is possible i am just doing it totally wrong.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a problem doing this at first. I cleared out the program by holding down the two outer buttons on the mirror until clear. Then it's a matter of holding your current remote garage door opener and the button that you want programmed on your car until the lights blink (?). I don't have the manual in front of me but I think that's what I did.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daveag98
Howdy everyone, I have the 2007 with the homelink buttons built into the rear view mirror.

I have tried over and over again and just can not get these buttons to program, my wifes durango programs in seconds, but for some reason the mini does not like to learn.

I have gone through the directions in the manual step by step and still no luck, anyone have a similar problem or can give some tips on getting this thing to work.

(I have tried the learn code button on the garage door with no luck)

It is possible i am just doing it totally wrong.
But not necessarily.

Mine refused to co-operate either, following all the steps you outlined, my dealer couldn't help because he couldn't program it for a door 40 miles away. But Homelink solved the problem over the phone and I can't praise their customer support highly enough.

In my case they identified that MINI had fitted a mirror coded to German frequencies, not the very different UK ones, so there was no way it could learn from my remote gate controller or transmit anything my gate understood.

But the very patient support guy talked me through resetting to the UK range and then got it to open the gate and my garage doors.

I don't know US support numbers for Homelink but don't be put off if they refer you to a free number in Germany, because that's what happened to me, as the guy there is fantastic - even speaking in his second language.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
Mine programmed with no problems.....Turn the ignition ON*. clear the memory by holding the two outside buttons until the LED flashes rapidly and release. Then press your garage door transmitter and which ever button on the mirror you want to use at the same time , hold them down until the LED flashes rapidly, (it blinks slowly at first then rapidly) release the buttons. Now program the Mini button to the door opener itself, this takes two people, one in the Mini with the ignition on. Press and hold the button in the Mini and at the same time press and release the learn button on the door opener motor assembly (do not hold this button in or it will erase your other transmitters). When the garage door light blinks, release the Mini button. It is now programmed.
*When I say turn the ignition on while doing this......you actually must have the Mini running. Mine will not work with just the ignition ON.......that I don't like. Hope this helps........my door opener is a Chamberlain with the rolling codes.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmiejo
. Now program the Mini button to the door opener itself, this takes two people, one in the Mini with the ignition on. Press and hold the button in the Mini and at the same time press and release the learn button on the door opener motor assembly (do not hold this button in or it will erase your other transmitters). When the garage door light blinks, release the Mini button. It is now programmed.
*When I say turn the ignition on while doing this......you actually must have the Mini running. Mine will not work with just the ignition ON.......that I don't like. Hope this helps........my door opener is a Chamberlain with the rolling codes.
This is doable by one person, but you have to be fast. And have the ladder in place and the other car out of the garage and get everything ready to do it. Two would definitely have been easier.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
I read the homelink website, i am going to try replacing my battery in my garage remote and then give it another try.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Yeah, I did it myself with a new garage door opener recently but I had to hustle from the ladder to the car. I don't think I had the car running, but I know it has to be running to open the garage door.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Still no go, I think its a time to call homelink.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Mine worked fine with our older model Chamberlain (dip switches)... except when I went to program my wife's side of the garage (same opener, different code) it wipes out the first mirror button's programming and only allows the second door opener to be stored.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
What step failed ? Did you get the rapid flashes ?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found with my door, I have to hold the button down on the mirror for about 2 seconds before the door operates. I thought I had programmed it wrong and went through programming 3 or 4 times. Almost was ready to post about how to program it on NAM but discovered the door was working if I held the button, not just briefly press and release.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:20 PM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
Same on mine, hold at least 2 seconds. On my other vehicle (explorer) just tap it and the door opens.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jimmiejo
What step failed ? Did you get the rapid flashes ?
got the rapid flashes from both the remote and the learn button. Then the light goes off, i held for longer and no other lights, so i released. Tried the light and nothing.

I printed the instructions off from homelink.com and had a neighbor try the instructions as well. This of course does not mean we are both no doing something wrong but really starts to look like something else is wrong.

I tried the press and hold but got nothing.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Once again tried.

I press both the first and third buttons to reset, get the flash after 20 seconds.

Take the remote and press and hold the button right near my rear view mirror while pressing the first button. The light flashes slow then fast then stops flashing.

I try the button and even tried holding several seconds. No go.

Same situation with the learn code button.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
What model or brand is your door opener.......is it a rolling code type ? It looks like the Mini button is recognizing the door opener remote transmitter or it wouldn't give you the confirmation pulses. The next step is programming the mini button to the the door opener receiver if its the rolling code type of opener. If not you can skip this next step.....you are pressing and releasing the door opener learn button and then pressing and holding the mini button until the door opener light flashes, right ? If that is the way you are doing it and it still don't work, then I don't have any other comments. Keep us updated.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I think he's right. If you have a newer garage door opener you have to either get out of the car or have another person on a ladder press a learn button on the door opener first (with mine the button was kind of hidden, I think I had to press it with a screwdriver like a reset button), then the mini second. I had to do that with my new opener but not with my original older door opener. It's in the instructon manual for the Mini I'm pretty sure. The garage door opener instructions tell you where the learn button is. If you are just using the remote and the Mini that would explain why it won't work.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 04-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
yeah its a rolling code, thats why after giving up on the remote. I started using the learn code button, and get the same result with the blinking light. I keep trying both hoping it will work one way or the other. Last night I did 5 tries on just the learn code. The door is from overhead door company which is on the homelink list (see below)

On my wifes car that has homelink it works without issue, set up took 45 seconds.

There has to be an issue here like dlpruk mentioned were I am going to call Homelink and brush up on my german.

I will let everyone know if any progress is made.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:38 PM
gvcmel
1st Gear
I had lots of problems with my 07 MCS. In the end I tried a different remote for the garage door after all the battery swapping and other things both homelink and the web provided. The new rolling code remote I was using just did not talk well with the homelink. I dug out the two year old remote with weak battery and it all worked first time. go figure.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
daveg98...Hubby and I just programmed our Universal Garage Door Opener tonight. Here's how we did it. It is easier w/two people.
IMPORTANT - Car must not be under Garage Door (Almost our mistake the first time we tried this).
The person in the car has to first start the car...the resetting of the UGDO can only be done with the car running. Hold the #1 & #3 buttons on the UGDO for 20secs. to reset (rapid flashes). Then hold the remoted 2-12" near the UGDO, press the remote and #1 Button (the button to be programmed) at the same time until the LED flashes rapidly again. Then hit the 'Learn' button on your Garage Door Opener (in garage). Next the person in the car needs to press #1 (the button to be programmed) on the UGDO 3 Times, the Garage Door will now respond to the UGDO.
Hope this helps!!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
Thanks RJ i will give it a try, a little different procedure but worth a shot.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daveag98
Thanks RJ i will give it a try, a little different procedure but worth a shot.
Daveg98 we also have the Random Code (or whatever you call it) Garage Door Opener. The only thing we noticed this morning is that, when we were ready to leave we had to use the Wall Mounted Module and not Molly's UGDO as she needs to be running for the UGDO to operate. Hence car running Garage Door CLOSED...NOT a good idea.
Hope we've been of some help!!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Problem has been resolved.

Programmed my neighbors code in like 35 seconds. So had to be garage door opener.

I called Overhead garage door, they said its a common problem. I needed to press and hold the learn code button for 10 seconds even though the light was flashing if you just push and release.

Works great now, thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Thanks all. None of your suggestions worked, but gave me enough ideas to figure it and get'er done.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah i just programmed my r56 jcw

So to save the next guy a lot of grief. HERE'S WHAT WORKED:

- PARKING THE CAR OUTSIDE THE GARAGE (why? I don't know. Who cares. Do it)
- CLEARING THE CODES - 2 outer buttons held in forever until it flashes fast.
- RUN THE ENGINE, NOT JUST IG ON. (why? Again I don't know. Do it)
- [BTW 1 PERSON CAN DO IT EASY)
- HOLD THE TRANSMITTER NEXT TO THE BUTTON UNTIL IT RAPID FLASHES
- GO TO THE LEARN BUTTON THE GARAGE DOOR BOX AND PUSH ON. I'm 6'1 and can reach without a ladder. It's a lame button that switches on a small light. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS
- RUN BACK TO THE MINI AND HIT THAT SAME PROGRAM BUTTON YOU CHOSE 3 TIMES LETTING IT BLINK FAST EVERY TIME YOU HIT IT. 3 TIMES! in 30 SECONDS

Hold the button on the mirror a little longer than tap to open or close. It works.