R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sell 2006 Z4 to get MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell 2006 Z4 to get MCS?

I currently drive a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si. I really love my car, but after spending a few days driving a 2007 MCS, I really love the car.

Looking for advice whether I should trade in or sell the Z4 to get the Cooper S? I have a few concerns about trading for one.

#1. Going fro a rear wheel drive to the front wheel drive, am I going to regret the change in performance characteristics.
#2. With the MCS only having an inline 4 with Turbo, will I miss the smooth power and torque of the 6 found in my Z4?
#3. I am afraid I will begin modding the car like crazy and will not stop, what do I do to control myself and this addiction

I am also uncertain as to whether this is a good idea since it is finally warm enough to put the top down on the Z4 and enjoy the wind in my hair and open top cruising.

thanks for all of your input and advice!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Do BOTH !!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I went from E36 M3 to MCsa...So I have some knowledge in this area...Mind you this is my subjective opinion regarding your questions:

#1 Going from Rear to Front Wheel Drive: This has been a big adjustment for me. My M3 had no suspension mods, but my tires sizing was equal on all four corners...In other words, I dialed out a lot of the understeer and made my car more neutral. That being said, I went hard into a corner like I normally drove my M...and it was different. I felt the MCS lose traction in the front wheels (torque steer) a little bit, then grab and go...In my M, that would not be a the case. I talk to my buddy who used to track his cars quite a bit...He says you just have to drive it differently...Stay on the gas pedal were his exact words because the car will bite. Now from what I've heard, larger rear sway bar will make the MCS handle more balanced, and reduce the torque steer...But it is still an adjustment. I find this fun though, because now I get to learn somethin new...Make no mistake, the MCS is a fast car through the corners...It just requires a different touch.

#2. Inline 4 Turbo versus Stright 6: Like question #1, I've had to make driving adjustments as well...As you know the BMW's straight 6 is the best engine they make, period. My M had all kinds of torque all throughout the rev range...but especially in the mid range. Passing from 50-70 was a breeze. I also had CAI and CAT Back exhaust to improve my top end. The straight 6 is smooth as silk. The inline 4 turbo is punchy, and quick in ranges under 50 mph...I find that it doesn't have the mid range to high range torque that my M had...but I don't think this is a fair comparison. I had 250 HP versus 172 HP...weight aside, the two cars are very different at highway speeds. Now...that doesn't mean you can't get an ECU Flash/Chip, Cat Back Exhaust, CAI, and other goodies to get you more grunt into the MCS...and I think that's part of the fun But I used to average 24-25 mpg in my commute, now I pull 30-31 mpg. Not sure how the mods will effect that, so maybe someone else can chime in???

#3. I can't help you here buddy...you are all on your own But that's in part what makes the MINI fun. You can really personalize it, and make it your own...

Will this be your only car?

Last edited by Auto_Pilot; 04-22-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
This will be my only car and used as a daily driver. The wife has her own car and I am not allowed to touch it. Hopefully within a couple of years, I am looking at getting a Porsche Cayman or 911

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I'm personally not a drop top guy...so I prefer the hard top.

I actually bought my MINI for several good reasons:

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Corey986
3rd Gear
While I wouldn't want to talk anyone out of a Mini, why not sell the Z4 and get a base cayman.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e46jb
This will be my only car and used as a daily driver. The wife has her own car and I am not allowed to touch it. Hopefully within a couple of years, I am looking at getting a Porsche Cayman or 911
Well, RWD to FWD is going to be an adjustment. The R56 (As Auto posted) has a great engine for low to mid range, but it has no top end at all. If you like winding the engine out on the highway, you might be disappointed.

Ask your dealer if you can take one home for the night and put 20-30 miles on it at ranging speeds (Try taking it on the highway to stretch it's legs a bit). My testing is pretty much in line with Auto's. Past about 50 MPH the car doesn't pull very hard anymore compared to my R53, which keeps on chugging, deep into the 3 digit speeds.

BMW changed a lot of things around on the R56, most of them were geared towards making the MINI a better "All around car", rather than just appealing towards people that were willing to drive a car with an extreme ride, and a motor that had to be wound out.

It's that extreme ride that makes it one of the best handling cars out there, and makes it so much fun to drive. Of course the unfortunate downside is that bumps are going to be jarring, and the car is going to develop rattles over time.

A lot of people have called the R56 the R53's tamer, more mainstream sibling. It really comes down to how adaptive you are, and how you drive the car. If you like refinement, the R56 is probably not that bad of a choice. I personally believe the MINI lost some of it's raw, visceral feeling with the model change. Drive it! That's the only way you can tell.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
I have looked at all options for the new car, having a couple of issues. I appreciate the feedback and have driven an R56 for a weekend. I was very impressed, but not sure on the overall move.

Living in Canada, the base Cayman is approx $65 to $70k, and the MCS is approx $35k with all of the options I want.

I am 1.4 years into a 39 month lease on the Z4 and the black book is already $5k less than my buy-out, so I will be dramatically upside down, but I can sell privately and make a couple of thousand (between $4000 and $7000).

I am in a dilemma though since I can get a cooper S for the same monthly payment as the Z4 (new value of Z4 was $68k). Not sure whether I am making the right decision or not. Some feel I am stepping backwards, so I can move forwards to Porsche, while others feel I should make that lateral step from the Z4 to the Porsche when the lease is over.

Last edited by e46jb; 04-22-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I'm personally not a drop top guy...so I prefer the hard top. And you can get a sun roof if you miss the open air feeling. I'm not sure how the Z4 is in the snow, but the MINI is supposedly a good in the snow.

I bought my MINI for several good reasons: gas mileage, fun to drive, fun to mod, and I needed a new car. I have an SUV for the family, so I drive the MINI pretty much exclusively

So you are looking for an interim car? If you want more grunt in your MINI, then get the JWC MC...that might tide you over for the interim.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
matthewsjl
2nd Gear
I have a MCS on the boat as we speak. My 2006 Z4 3.0si is coming up for lease end (24mo lease).

I wanted something a little cheaper - the mini lease should work out to be high $300 for 24mo, a little less for 36mo.

You're right that you can't beat the inline six from BMW. I think Ill be back in a couple of years when the mini lease is up.

John.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
I agree that the Mini will have better fuel economy, however having a drop top is a rare and limited thing, I just liked the style of the car and almost bought an X5 instead.

Biggest problem is trying to walk away from the Z4 ahead and not be too far in debt while moving forwrd into a Mini Cooper S.

In Canada, the pricing for a MCS with zero down is approx $500 per month (39 month lease) and that is what I am paying for the Z4.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have both a 03 MCS and a 03 Z4 3.0. So your Z4 has alittle more power than our Z4. Now my MCS is moddified, it will keep up, if not beat her Z4 in a straight line. I personaly prefer my front wheel drive to her rear wheel drive. I guess I have been driving FWD to long now . My Mini is way more pratical in terms of storage and such, it also is way!!! smoother riding than the Z4. Might be because that we still have RF's on it. We also love having the top down on warm nights, it's so nice . Why not compromise and get a Mini convertible? We are actualy in the process of looking to replace her Z4 with either a MB CLK 350 or a BMW 330 ci cabrio. About the modding thing, trust me, you WILL get hooked , but it's fun . Thats my .02.

Last edited by JIMINNI; 04-22-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
My testing is pretty much in line with Auto's. Past about 50 MPH the car doesn't pull very hard anymore compared to my R53, which keeps on chugging, deep into the 3 digit speeds.
That would explain a 50-75 run I had with an older Cooper S when I had my M. Maybe bigger turbo is in line for MCS in the future?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:20 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
Not a fan of the Mini convertible, but I do understand the difference in practicality. Never had any major issues with the Z4 for storage, other than having to buy larger items (ie lamps, lawn mower, etc)

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
fronjoni
4th Gear
ride out the lease, buy a 911

Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Auto_Pilot
That would explain a 50-75 run I had with an older Cooper S when I had my M. Maybe bigger turbo is in line for MCS in the future?
Alta tried that, it just shifted the power band up 1300 RPM's or so (Aka makes power from 3000 or so to 6500 instead of 1800 - 5,200, .

Hopefully someone figures it out eventually, it's a fun little car, but going dead at 5k is pretty lame.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
6th Gear
Not a fan of the Mini convertible, but I do understand the difference in practicality. Never had any major issues with the Z4 for storage, other than having to buy larger items (ie lamps, lawn mower, etc)
MINI has a LOT more storage than your Z4.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
emmathecheesedog
Banned
Keep the Z4 there's reason it costs a lot more than a MINI., then step up to a real car a Porsche. In 2009 the 998's will be out.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Wolfgang80
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Yes, but the weight savings of the MCS will make up for a lot of this loss and may become more important. You will miss low speed turns where you can wag the tail in the Z4. I came from a 4,000 lb S4 Avant to my MCS. The following pertains to 2nd gear turns: The MINI doesn't like agressive throttle input mid turn--it likes a faster entry speed with consistent throttle compared to the Audi that liked a slower turn in with a lot of throttle after the initial turn in. The Audi would plow if you came in too hot whereas the MINI has much better initial turn in grip (I have coilovers) and rotates nicely.

2. The MCS is not a car that provides much excitement in a straight line, both in speed and sound. I came from a V8 without mufflers and I miss that. It came into its own at speeds above 60. I'm also getting 28 mpg vs. 11 mpg so I'm okay with the tradeoff. The MCS does get to speed relatively quickly, even at freeway speeds, but doesn't make you giggle or desire to do it all the time like my Audi did.

3. I would do coilovers.

All this being said, I wouldn't make the trade if the financial hit means something to you and you still enjoy the Z4.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by emmathecheesedog
Keep the Z4 there's reason it costs a lot more than a MINI., then step up to a real car a Porsche. In 2009 the 998's will be out.
The more I read his posts...the more I'm inclined to agree with you. The MCS will be an interim car...plain and simple. And it sounds like the poster will not be happy with the MINI...so I just say wait too. Porsche and MINI are on two completely different planets.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
The Mini will be an interim car, but I always lease and do it for 3 years, so no matter what I get, it will be a short lived car.

Porsche or more desirable cars, my wife might have influence on the fact it will be financed and kept for long term, rather than a short term lease.

Additionally, I am not normal in the cars I like. I went from a Jetta to a Celica, then to a 3 series sedan and now the Z4. Instead of getting a Z4, I almost bought a 2007 X5. I like certain things about most cars, and make decisions spontaneously and based on fun and driving pleasure.

Last edited by e46jb; 04-22-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Mini will be an interim car, but I always lease and do it for 3 years, so no matter what I get, it will be a short lived car.

Porsche or more desirable cars, my wife might have influence on the fact it will be financed and kept for long term, rather than a short term lease.

Additionally, I am not normal in the cars I like. I went from a Jetta to a Celica, then to a 3 series sedan and now the Z4. Instead of getting a Z4, I almost bought a 2007 X5. I like certain things about most cars, and make decisions spontaneously and based on fun and driving pleasure.
Have you tried Lotus?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
e46jb
4th Gear
We do not have Lotus readily available where I am located in Canada. Plus for the Elise, the cost is more than the Porsche Cayman.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Corey986
3rd Gear
If you are leasing, I'd ride out the lease then buy a Cayman. I have a late model 911 varient and the Cayman is a great car. In-fact back in Dec 03 when I bought my car I never would have gone the 911 route if the cayman existed. For less than 1/2 the price, the cayman delivers 80-90% of the fun of a "GT" model with out the kidney jarring ride and the scraping on every speedbump and driveway. Then again a late model 911 base has the suspension of a caddy and delivers 80-90% of the fun of a "GT" model, so you may not enjoy that one either I know I didn't.

Now to put it in perspective, the MCS is about closest to the cayman/boxster ride of any non-mid engine car I have ever driven. The term fits like a glove comes to mind. Then again I have never driven a Z4 only a Z8.

So once again my advice...

Stay with the Z4 till the lease is out... buy a Cayman and convince the wife she must have a Mini Cooper S, that you can borrow for autocross

Last edited by Corey986; 04-22-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
I Traded in a Z4 for the MCS

I currently drive a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si. I really love my car, but after spending a few days driving a 2007 MCS, I really love the car ... I do [try] to control myself and this addiction
I traded in a nearly perfect 03 Z4 3.0i, StepTronic, for my 07 MCS, 6 speed ... the Z4 was a dark burgundy {Merlot} CPO beauty ... a great car in almost every respect ... powerful, sleek, and a joy to cruise effortlessly or, at a mere wish, to pass that dratted semi poking along at 65 to 70 ... or switching lanes on the Interstate with a flick of the wrist and back to center on the steering wheel ... or, leisurely slinking along the Blue Ridge Parkway at about 35 mph with the mellow exhaust tone filling the cabin ... OK, you get the idea. The only drawback was getting into and out of it ... after driving more than 60 years and with arthritic joints, both the wife and I struggled ... but once in, extremely comfortable -- barring the rigid Sports suspension, run-flats, and concrete roadway joints -- there's a 50 mile stretch between Gasden and Birmingham that is horrible and will shake the spots off a leopard.
On the other hand, our daughter had had a 06 R53 MCS before the Grandson was born and just loved it ... so we decided to try a MINI for ourselves. In all candor, I can say the 07 MCS, 6 speed manual, often approaches or nearly meets the Z4 with regard to performance, handling, and joy to drive ... and, both of us can get in and out without much hassle. Nearly is the operative notion ... in hammer down situations, few machines can touch a willing to go Z4.
As others have said in this thread, it all depends on your personal situation ... I'm thinking that if you got the MINI "bug" you'll not be disappointed with a MCS ... ours rides much more smoothly than the Z4, but less well than our E39 528i ... gas mileage is nearly one-third better {well behaved cruising at 65, I get nearly 39 mpg} ... on the intangible side of the equation, the MINI is a machine that puts joy into just driving ... and after working for more than 45 years, joy is nice to experience on occasion.

Last edited by MCS07MGM; 04-23-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Sell 2006 Z4 to get MCS?