R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Pepper White:Dirt magnet or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pepper White:Dirt magnet or not

I have been looking at buying a Cooper S for about 6 months now. Equipment-wise, I know what I want but the colour is more difficult.

Do any of the Pepper-white owners have a problem with the car showing a lot of dirt?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by narkose
I have been looking at buying a Cooper S for about 6 months now. Equipment-wise, I know what I want but the colour is more difficult.

Do any of the Pepper-white owners have a problem with the car showing a lot of dirt?
I just got my PW/B and I don't see a problem with the PW and dirt, but the Black top does show the dust.

Just do it, you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Originally Posted by narkose
No. After having a black car this is nothing.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
Bug blood shows up, but overall dust isn't as apparent as it would be on a darker color. PW is GORGEOUS!!!!! Go for it!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 AM
edijak
2nd Gear
Light Background Shows Little

Go for it. Only the roof will show the dust and, you will save some money for a metallic options that could be used for other goodies .

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a feeling it would be your favorite color...but I'm just biased

Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The boot will show the dirt after a rainfall just like any other MINI. In fact, it shows it more than either of our darker colored MINIs.

But the nice thing about PW is that in the winter, when they use the salt and chemicals on the roads, PW hides that stuff better than any other color.

And if you're obsessive about swirls and light scratches in the paint between detailing, PW hides them better than the darker colors.

Overall... easy color to maintain.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Do it! I wrestled with which color for weeks before I ordered my MINI. As someone else pointed out, I felt I could use the $500 for something more "productive" than metallic paint. That left only a few choices so I chose P/W with Black. Now the more I see pictures of P/W MINIs I'm loving it. I think it will look classy over the long haul. I've had cars of many colors over my time and even the ones that are eye popping in the beginning seem to loose their interest for me after a few years. I think P/W will look great fr a long time. So I say go for it. Besides , then you can join the VERY EXCLUSIVE Pepper White Club.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:53 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
The boot will show the dirt after a rainfall just like any other MINI. In fact, it shows it more than either of our darker colored MINIs.

But the nice thing about PW is that in the winter, when they use the salt and chemicals on the roads, PW hides that stuff better than any other color.

And if you're obsessive about swirls and light scratches in the paint between detailing, PW hides them better than the darker colors.

Overall... easy color to maintain.
+1

As long as you keep the car clean and maintain a good coat of your favorite wax, you can go over the car gently with a California Duster from time to time (I try to do it at the end of every day's run) and most of the dust just slides off without scratching (as long as you dust it off before it gets wet)

Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Volker
4th Gear
only place I see it regular is below the (not existing because 'vert) B-column, when the dirt drools out. But I only see it more because the aerokit side panels are PW as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Mini*In*Flux
3rd Gear
I did not want a "white" car partially because of the same concern.

After having Kirky for 55 days, I have to admit that I am amazed how well PW holds against other colors, I always have to get really close to see any dirt.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Even though I don't own a PW MINI, I do admire the color when I see one on the street. PW would probably be my second choice of colors.

BTW, I can attest that the black top does get dusty but my dark silver body color holds up well to dirt.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 AM
johned206
2nd Gear
My PW/B MCS just finished it's first winter here in the Rockies and is now enduring our "mud-season". What I have found is that the rear hatch gets pretty dirty but they all do because of how the road dirt gets kicked up there. I figure you're going to be washing it once a week anyway (mini owners seem to take care of these babies) so why not pick the classiest color combination to begin with.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that those who have it love it. I will test the waters on my other colours as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Yes, I think Pepper White is one of the best for hiding dirt, although I hear Electric Blue was also superb in this regard. My MINI is Oxygen blue...it is also quite good at this.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
surfblue
4th Gear
No problem with PW here

I intentionally bought my 07 MCS in solid PW, which I understand to be the least popular color combo judging by sales figures. See my gallery. To most folks it's just a "little white car"... no big attention grabber, which is fine by me.
IF you go this route, purchase yourself a good "car duster". Keep the big one in your garage, the little one in the boot. Purchase some SpeedShine from Griot's Garage. These items go a LONG WAY to keeping the car clean the easy way. Yeah, the back end shows some dust...woooosh with the duster, it's gone. In fact,whatever color you choose, a car duster is a big help in day to day quicky cleanup. Not sure of the experiences of owners with dark colors though. Anybody?
I like seeing all the colors of the Minis on the road. When they're together in a group, I think of rolling jelly beans. It's all fun.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
Coming from a Cosmo Metallic (basically dark, dark, dark Grey)...where after one day of washing the car looks like it just went off roading (especially during high pollen season)...PW is a walk in the park. My white SUV never, ever looked as dirty as my Cosmo Metallic BMW. Never.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
NYCrooner
2nd Gear
I'm waiting for my PW to ship from across "The Pond". Can't wait. Dust or no dust, I'm siked. lol.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:14 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I agree with all above. It's strange but the white cars seem to show the dirt the least. From a few feet away, my car appears clean all the time.
The only caveat is that, in the winter, little brown spots show up on the boot and they are tough to get rid of.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by freez3
I agree with all above. It's strange but the white cars seem to show the dirt the least. From a few feet away, my car appears clean all the time.
The only caveat is that, in the winter, little brown spots show up on the boot and they are tough to get rid of.
Yes I get those little brown spots too (down in FL)....I had to get a clay bar just for the boot haha (the clay bar does a great job at getting those spots out...does still require some work tho)

Old 04-25-2008, 07:53 AM
spam.at.trash
3rd Gear
Go for it....!!! I love my PW/B MCS. The dust is nothing......

Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Yes I get those little brown spots too (down in FL)....I had to get a clay bar just for the boot haha (the clay bar does a great job at getting those spots out...does still require some work tho)
In light of that, if you had to do it again would you have chosen a different colour?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:32 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Do you guys park your MINIs near mulched areas? I used to get very tiny brown spots on my truck. they were very sticky and difficult to get off. It drove me nuts for a couple of years. I thought it was coming from trees at first but after much trial and error I found out that some types of mulch actually "eject" spore droplets into the air. That's what it was. I kept my truck away from mulched areas and it stopped.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 AM
tachicardia
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My PW/B holds up pretty well between washes too. The roof will get dirty more quickly than the side panels.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Banjo
2nd Gear
Im wating for my Pepper White Sidewalk. I love black, but my history with that color is swirl marks galore and tons of dirt. PW is very elegant looking with the malt brown interior. You will love it

Quick Reply: R56 Pepper White:Dirt magnet or not