R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Odd request, how many inches are the two polls that hold the head rest apart?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:02 PM
peter314
|
5th Gear
Odd request, how many inches are the two polls that hold the head rest apart?

this is a odd request but seeing as i have nothing to do tonight...bleh... i feel like making some pull straps for my mini's back seats, it may have been 10 months ago but i remember how much of a pain in the *** it is to grab the seats when there down, so i was wondering if anyone could measure what the distance is between the two polls that hold the head rest from the outside edges im guessing its like 6 inches but want to be sure, measure twice cut once kind of deal, itd be nice to have them for the car when it gets here, which i found out may only be a few days away, i know the owners lounge is slow but it said est delivery date of the 3rd!!!! so im adding about 2-3 days to that to be safe and not be all dissapointed when its not there.- oh and to measure the distance from the top of the seat (where the bottom of the headrest meets the seat) to the bottom of the seat on the back side so i know how long to make the strap. to anyone that has nothing to do tonight and could get me the info thanks a bunch - Peter

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:23 PM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
If you get your response I'd be interested in doing that as well. BTW, what does MCSa mean? I mean the 'a' after MCS? I'm away from my Mini so I can't measure for you.....have fun with your new Coop!

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:32 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Goldilocks
If you get your response I'd be interested in doing that as well. BTW, what does MCSa mean? I mean the 'a' after MCS? I'm away from my Mini so I can't measure for you.....have fun with your new Coop!
M C S A
Mini Cooper S Automatic

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:35 PM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
aha! I've got that too but have to confess I do use the Sport button a lot - esp when I've got the tunes up!

Old 05-02-2008 | 07:45 PM
peter314
|
5th Gear
yea outmotoring has the same thing im doing for sale but i can just fabricate them insted of spending like $30, news has is that est arrival is tomorrow!! but im gonna give it 2-3 days to be safe. oh and yea automatic, didnt feel like dealin with a manual in the city, just set it and forget it, but on the open its all me.

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:36 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I've been thinking about making my own as well. Instead of the 'T' design, I'm going with a simple 'U' design.

Old 05-03-2008 | 07:47 AM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
I have already done the same thing (home-made and cheap). I have removed the rear headrests because no one ever sits in the back and removing them increases my rear visibility.

I tried several approaches but right now my straps are:

Pre-made straps from Tractor Supply, about 16 inches long with loops already sewn in. Less than $2. To attach them to the tops of the seat backs, I just dropped in a 7/16" bolt. To keep the strap loop flat and the geometry correct, I purchased a short length of #10 key chain and a couple of connectors. I think 10 ***** worth of chain is about right from memory. Put the chain through the loop on one end and slip the bolt down through the chain into the hole.

For the last thing, I fastened a piece of velcro to the other end so the loop doesn't flop around and is always where I need it when I need to pull the seatback up. It works great.

Another way is to put one of the keyholding rings through the loop... you know, they type where you have to force your fingernail between the rings to get it to spread out so you can get the key on or off.

Final note, I wanted the top of the bolt head to be shorter and more flush, so I ground it down like a carriage bolt head, then painted it black. 7/16" dia carriage bolts are hard to find at local hardware stores.

YD

Old 05-05-2008 | 03:15 PM
ALittleQuick
Neutral
Hi. I took a free/cheap approach and grabbed the nylon webbing off of an old backpack and a couple camping/tent/tarp repair grommets I had lying around. I sewed a loop on one end, punched the grommets on the other, burned the rough edges and I was done - all of 5 minutes. The grommets are plastic and are the prefect size for the headrest shafts; I don't see a need to have anything fit over both shafts and it's been working fine for me so far.

FYI: the grommets are the Coleman kind (green packaging) and are a couple bucks for a half dozen or so from most camping supply stores.

Old 05-05-2008 | 03:20 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Very clever, ALittleQuick

Love it!

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:16 PM
peter314
|
5th Gear
alittlequick, thats sweet, the grommits were somehting i was thinking about but couldnt put my finger on what they were or where to get them, - thanks guys.