R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What other car did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
jw34
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were thinking about a Civic for a while. Having had an Si years ago I knew they were good cars although they lacked any sort of personality. One day we drove a MINI then went over and drove a Civic. I remember 2 things about that experience. One was the roll of the eyes the Honda dealer gave me when we said we were comparing his car to a MINI (that ticked me off-his frikin' arrogance). The other was then driving the Civic and saying "so what?". I mean it really had not discernible qualities to get excited about. I guess it's a good functional car, but having had a Saturn we were sick of functional.
On the other hand the when we got out of the MINI we were both smiling.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
I considered an Elise and a Caterham, and then came to my senses, as I was gonna drive it every day, and was stretching the budget to get a used one.

The Mazdaspeed 3 was a consideration. But what attracted me to the Lotus and its descendant were the brakes and handling. More able to keep myself out of trouble that way. The Mazda did not have so much of that.

The GTI was nice, but I could not get it just like I wanted. Test drove both it and the Mini the same day. That settled it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I did not look at any other car.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
manish
2nd Gear
was considering the new volvo c30. its a really cool car. the front end looks like a bmw 3 series and the rear is completely unique. but with the sport kit and all, it was a bit more expensive than the mcs and the mileage wasnt even close.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
bpulley
2nd Gear
My choice was between the MINI and a new Ram truck.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
dbhouston
4th Gear
Seriously looked at the Audi TT, but didn't like what they did with the design, putting some angles on it.

Drove the Lotus Elise and collected all the info on it. Reliable and exotic. But in the end it was just too impractical. Fun to drive, but you couldn't take a long distance trip unless you bought your clothes when you got there. And you needed to take Yoga classes to get in and out of it. Still, it turned heads and was a riot to drive.

For fun I test drove the Porsche Cayman (not in my realistic budget if I wanted to take a vacation for the next few years), and the BMW M4 Coupe.

Of them all, the Cayman was the most fun. But for the money, the MINI won out hands down. And so far, there have been no big issues with reliability. The dealer has been fantastic about taking care of it.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
I first drove a Civic and both the handling and the comfort were much worse than my current 11 yo. Accord. Tried a Civic Si too and it just wasn't comfortable. Went to Mazda to try the MazdaSpeed 3 - it gets so many great reviews - but it was not comfortable and it wasn't fun to drive either; I also tried a Miata while there, but no go. I was starting to think I should just keep my Accord - maybe get another 100k out of it? I then went to the MINI dealer just to "get it out of my system" - I figured if the other cars were uncomfortable, then the MINI would be even worse - right? Wow, was I wrong. I drove an MC, then an MCS, and both were really fun to drive and comfortable too. I can't wait.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Bebedo26
1st Gear
In the running

Cars I looked at included:
- Mazda Miata
- Scion tC
- Honda S2000
- A passing look at many others in the category

After LOTS of online research, narrowed it to the Miata vs MCS.
I live in Pennsylvania and wasn't relishing the idea of a RWD vehicle in the snow and ice. Test drove the Miata and it performed well, but the Cooper was still better, especially considering the higher quality engine.

The VW GTI got VERY bad marks on 5 year cost of ownership.

The Mini won for maintenance costs, cost of ownership, reliability, and let's face it, the fun factor is like no other car made. Easy decision...

Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
The cars I was considering first were all very good with gas mileage-Civic Hybrid,VW GTI,Mazda3 and MS3 and the A3 but the MINI Cooper S won me over.

Traded in a modded black 2006 Mustang GT which was a blast to drive but the low MPG was straining my wallet of late at each fill up.

No more worries with my MCS in that department now.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
ram1962
2nd Gear
I went to the Chicago Auto Show to investigate cars. The ones that interested me were:

Volvo S40
Mazda Speed 3
Toyota Prius
Toyota Corolla Matrix
Honda Fit
Honda Civic Hybrid
MINI Cooper S
MINI Clubman S
Pontiac Solstice
Saturn Sky

Looking for a balance of fun & fuel economy I landed on the MINI.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I kinda considered an oxygen blue MCS. But they aren't available in 2007 and I really didn't want it. I just think it's a cool color. So BRG/W was the only real choice.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
drummergirl
2nd Gear
Up until March of 2003 I had never purchased a new car. I had a 1968 Mustang Coupe, a 1972 VW Fastback (pretty fast car I must say), and a couple used Hondas. I always loved classic cars and couldn't bring myself to spending money on new car since they depreciate when they leave the lot.

In Feb 2000 a friend sold me a 1984 Honda Accord which got great gas mileage, and was maintenance-free. It was at that point that I swore my next car would be a Honda. Someone totaled my car in an accident and so I needed a new vehicle. I was set on buying a used Honda when someone suggested the Honda Element. I fell in love with it at first sight, and so brought my first new car in March of 2003 and I am keeping it.

That same year a friend of mine brought a Mini Cooper. She ordered hers and it seem like it took 1 million years for it to get delivered to her. I am still awaiting receipt of my car (will be next neek) so I know what she went through! I confess I thought it was one of the most adorable things I had ever seen, next to my Element of course. I thought to myself that would be a nice car to have one day but it was not practical since I'm a drummer. Well, the desire for a MINI didn't diMINIsh and so by next week I will have the two cars that I desire most on the planet; a Honda Element and a MINI Cooper S!

I also love that all I have to say is Element or MINI and folks know what kind of cars they are. Plus, I tend to think most cars, including a lot of luxury vehicles, are all starting to look alike. A friend and I were laughing about how this Mercedes we saw looked just like a Toyota or Honda. It just seems like there's not much to differentiate the cars in a parking lot. I don't want my car to look like everyone else's so it's nice to at least own a car that from the start is unique. And with the MINI the ability to customize it to our own specific tastes seems endless.

So there was no other car for me to consider - well, except a MINI convertible!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
wiznut
Neutral
I traded in my 2006 Subaru 2.5i sport wagon on my Mini. Before I drove the Mini, I first tried a new WRX. It was ok. I could handle the styling but I just couldn't get into it. Cost was also a bit prohibitive though. I then tried the Volvo C30. The power was good and I really liked the styling, but I was put off by the lack of aftermarket support for the Volvo. Also, I didn't really like the clutch feel. I then happened upon the Mini at, of all places, a Subaru dealership. I drove it and that's history.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
mini purchase

i just wanted a sports car with a manual tranny. i already have a very fast and exotic car and i have a station wagon to carry our bicycles. i was always curious about the mini, but shied away. well, february of this year, i told my wife that i wanted to have a fun car with a manual transmission. she said "OK" and the rest is history. i could be wrong, but i think that the experience with these minis is very similar to the older porsches, decent handling and a very high fun factor, and easily 30plus mpg.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 PM
soul embrace
6th Gear
the only other car i was considering was the mazda rs8, but that quickly got thrown out of the window when i saw what they started at. i would have liked to have gotten a honda S2000, but they were too high also.

besides the MINI was the car i wanted for close to 5 years, so neither of those cars was anywhere close to being considered even if they weren't so high.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Bandit
3rd Gear
volvo T5 S40 i think?
sky
325ci or 330ci
G35

Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
jimmieshear
3rd Gear
I looked at

BMW 335i
BMW 630i
Audi A4
Audi TT
Mini Cooper S
Toyota FJ Cruiser

Got to admit, the most fun I had during my test drives was in the Mini, probably why I ended up with mine :-)

Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
rickdm
2nd Gear
I was tired of driving my wife's old X5, I wanted something fun with a manual. It was between a Cayman S, a VW R32, and the Mini. The Cayman just didn't seem that practical for a DD, and I already have a track car. The R32 was very nice, and very fast. However the mileage was poor, and when my wife (a non-car person) saw it she asked me why I was looking at a minivan The Mini was fun, got great mileage, had a surprising amount of room, and just a great image. I have really enjoyed it for the last month, and once the break-in is over the real fun will begin.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
jessitron
1st Gear
NONE. When I first learned to drive, my dream car was a classic mini, although I would've also loved to get my hands on an MGb or MGBGT (when they had chrome grills, not the ugly rubber crap). I graduated from college in 2002, the same year the MC was re-invented.. and had to buy my first car. I wanted a new mini cooper, of course. But with at least an $8,000 mark-up and a LOOOOONG waiting list (not to mention post graduation loans to pay off) I had to settle on my used Mitsubishi , now that I've run it into the ground, I'm hoping my next car can finally be the mini I want. I am planning on placing my order in August...It's really my dream car. I'm hoping to get a 2008 MCS for a daily driver...and then get my classic for weekend cruising!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
MINImizeMe
2nd Gear
I blame you guys for making this forum so interesting that I burnt my dinner

Back on the topic:
I have always admired BMWs and wanted to have one when I could afford it. When they announced 1-Series I was all over it and really wanted a 135i. I have been following every news and forums on it since September last year. I did not want to get one without test driving so waited till march when they were at the dealers. Test drove and boy what a smooth power flow and excellent handling!!! but could not justify close to 40K price tag on a decently spec'd out 135i.

Then planB, had heard a lot about MINIs but I am not a great fan of hatchbacks, in fact I was the opposite and thought I would never buy a hatch. Made a mistake of test driving without the "sport" button and passed on getting one. Second test drive with the "sport" button and I was sold. I also thought I would never buy a car with color other than shade of gray. With MINI, I will have a blue hatchback...who would have thought

I ended up ordering as I was on a budget and now waiting sucks

If I had 15K more to spare, then I would have gone for the 135i. But now hearing from others who could have afforded expensive cars choosing MINI over others makes me happy with my decision. 15K will do better as invested for rainy days.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
I considered the Scion XD, butt ugly but alot of car for the money and Toyota reliability. A Honda Civic SI, love the car but it looks boring like every other car out there . A BMW 135 awesome car, but I already have a BMW and wanted something different. Thats it, my Mellow Yellow Woodstock has soooo much personality and I just had to have him, now that I have had him for a little over a month, I know that I'll probably always have a MINI...

I'll get the 135 when I get bored with my current BMW.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
i sold my 99 buick century custom in september, because i moved to san fran. i was in a rollover car accident in a lexus suv in november (pics in gallery) and broke my back and both ankles. needless to say, when it came time to get a new car, i wasnt looking at SUV's. i had always loved the mini, so i never even considered any other cars. My mom told me that i should atleast look at some other cars and test drive them before i decided, so i lied and told her i went to the volkswagon and mazda dealership, but that i still wanted the mini i just new that i wanted the mini, and nothing was gonna change my mind. driving the mini was a little weird at first, because its definately a LOT different than my buick, which i called my Grandpa Car... but i love my mini, and wouldn't be happy with any other car. And the
mini community is just the icing on the cake!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I needed a practical, and cheap, car to carry what my 99 Z3 couldn't carry, so I was looking at only hatchbacks. I didn't want a used car as I'm always paranoid of the previous owner doing some weird DIY to it. So first I looked at the A3 (online). It's a nice car but the price was higher than what I wanted to pay, plus it's very sterile looking. I then considered the xB (this was before 2nd gen) because it was "unique" looking, but that wore off quick. Then I started to look into MINIs (back in 2006). The reviews were good and I like the look, but I held off as the new (R56) was just around the corner. I didn't jump on the first model year because I anticipated some small bugs to appear during the first model year, so instead, I waited for the 2008 models. I didn't test drive the car at all; I ordered it based on online reviews and pictures.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmieshear
I looked at

BMW 335i
BMW 630i
Audi A4
Audi TT
Mini Cooper S
Toyota FJ Cruiser

Got to admit, the most fun I had during my test drives was in the Mini, probably why I ended up with mine :-)
630? When did that come out!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM
scruffylooking
3rd Gear
Considered: MCS, Clubman S, GTI, WRX, and A3.
Left behind: 95 Accord
On the boat: 2008 MCS in Pepper White and Black. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: R56 What other car did you consider?