R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 RunFlat Info From Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RunFlat Info From Dunlop

I just took delivery of a new MCS over the weekend and balked at the dealer's offer to sell me a wheel and tire road hazard warranty for $1,000. I also received a lot of conflicting information as to what is repairable on the Dunlop runflats and what is not.

Dunlop customer relations told me that their standard limited warranty on runflats applies even if the dealer does not supply it to you. It requires only proof of date of purchase. Aside from the standard mfg defect warranty usually supplied with a new car with conventional tires, the warranty covers road hazards to the runflat tire for the first year or first 2/32" tread depth, whichever comes first.

Also, and just as interesting, Dunlop told me that they disagree with BMW regarding repairability of their runflats. BMW says not, Dunlop says a puncture in the tread area can be repaired in the same manner as a non-runflat (of course, as long as the puncture is not to close to the shoulder), even if the the tire has been driven the max allowable mileage with absolutely zero air pressure. They designed it that way. Sound like BMW has taken an overly conservative view regarding liability issues.

Hope this helps those of you trying to come with to terms with the runflat issues.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Run Flat Warranty was only $350 we picked up Molly ('08 MC) on 4/19. I think your Dealer is HIGH...in more ways than one. She is running Goodyear Performance Run Flats and Hubby was instant that we get the Warranty...as we drive in a Heavy Industrial District and frequent Rail Road Track encounters.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Runflat tires have been changing over time. BMW may still be going on old info. Or, they may have a generic answer for all runflats. The use other brands as well as Dunlaps.

Personally, I couldn't get rid of the runflats fast enough. They were noisy and had a harsh ride. I'm running non-runflats and carry a slime compressor and repair kit.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting information exevoguy.I will check the tire warranty booklet.Thanks.

My dealership offered the tire and wheel protection policy for $475 for 5 years.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
I just picked mine up, and got the insur. for the runflats for $299 for 5 years, She came with continentals

Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Interesting information exevoguy.I will check the tire warranty booklet.Thanks.

My dealership offered the tire and wheel protection policy for $475 for 5 years.
Wow. I didn't get a tire warranty booklet with my car. That $475 sounds like a good deal. Who is your dealer and what tires are on your car?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by exevoguy
Wow. I didn't get a tire warranty booklet with my car. That $475 sounds like a good deal. Who is your dealer and what tires are on your car?
Actually I have to check to see if I got the tire warranty booklet with my '08 MCS.I did with all of my other cars but if not a trip to my dealership Vista BMW/MINI in Coconut Creek,Florida will be in order.I think I have the 17" Dunlop run flats also but need to check on that and then post what they are.

I wasn't sure if the $475 was a good price at first for the tire and wheel protection but I still can get it on my car but will have to wait 6 weeks after purchasing it until it will become effective.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
gaston
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$1k for a tire warranty? That's breathtaking.

I only buy extended warranties on laptops since I have bad laptop karma -- 3 laptop failures in the past 6 weeks.

And as for extra warranties on tires, my previous MC and current MCS wear them out so fast that I don't see the point.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gaston
$1k for a tire warranty? That's breathtaking.

I only buy extended warranties on laptops since I have bad laptop karma -- 3 laptop failures in the past 6 weeks.

And as for extra warranties on tires, my previous MC and current MCS wear them out so fast that I don't see the point.
Actually the $1K covered both tires and wheels, but still seemed excessive to me.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Actually the $1K covered both tires and wheels, but still seemed excessive to me.
That sounds excessive to me too. I was offered $700 for mine (Dunlaps), and passed. The warranty was limited, as I recall, to a maximum of 3 tires with punctures of any type (most can be repaired for almost nothing as you noted), and there was a maximum on the total you could claim of about $2200 retail (the wheels are a ton of that as they are expensive). So I figured you could bash a wheel/tire and maybe another couple tire repairs/replacements total. The deal included getting the stuff done out of town and sending the bill to the dealer afterwards, which is nice, and they even pay for a motel if you had to stay overnight to wait for the parts to come in. But the average person just needs a repair or two within the warranty period, not total tire replacements. So I passed on it. My last tires were at Discount for a Jeep GC and they were $100 for warranty. They replaced all 4 when I busted one offroad because they had 40k miles on them and wouldn't accept a single new one because of uneven tread depth. That was a good deal, the Mini deal wasn't. In my first year I picked up one nail and Discount patched it for nothing.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-12-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Mine was $599 and capped at $4,000 in claims...good for 5 years. I replaced two damaged runflats at $395 each (dealer exorbitant cost), so I got my money's worth. Oh yeah, wheels were covered also although not needed.

Here's my question...I've switched to non-RF and aftermarket wheels. Nowhere on the paperwork can I find that only the OEM wheels or original tires are covered...so if I damage one of my Generals or the Rota wheel, does the warranty cover those as well? Hmmm

Last edited by Sin MINI; 06-04-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Mine was %599 and capped at $4,000 in claims...good for 5 years. I replaced two damaged runflats at $395 each (dealer exorbitant cost), so I got my money's worth. Oh yeah, wheels were covered also although not needed.

Here's my question...I've switched to non-RF and aftermarket wheels. Nowhere on the paperwork can I find that only the OEM wheels or original tires are covered...so if I damage one of my Generals or the Rota wheel, does the warranty cover those as well? Hmmm
Interesting in theory but I am sure there are exclusions in the contract somewhere regarding that.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get a nice set of light-weight aftermarket wheels for around $750. Non-runflat tires can be had for about $80-$150 each. Rather than spend the $1,000 on insurance, I'd get a second set of wheels and tires. Wait, I already did. Then I sold the runflats and OEM wheels and bought another set of aftermarket wheels and tires. One set for comfortable street use, and one for AutoX and canyon carving.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
On our 2006 I did basically the same thing as Robin (above). I bought a second set of wheels off ebay for a really good price (about $200). I put a cheap tire on one wheel and that's the hot spare tire. For warranty, Discount Tire certificates were bought at about $25 each. Total in for a bit under $400 and I have a spare in the deal.

The only problem is that MCS is gone (gave her life to protect her owner) and the new MCS has Web Spoke wheels. So I'm working on selling the spare V-spoke's. Will keep one as a spare tire/wheel.

One of the advantages I saw in this solution vs the dealer option was that the dealer solution was only available at the dealer - no network, so you get to bring the car back. Real problem when on a road trip.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:56 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
Mine was %599 and capped at $4,000 in claims...good for 5 years. I replaced two damaged runflats at $395 each (dealer exorbitant cost), so I got my money's worth. Oh yeah, wheels were covered also although not needed.

That's an excellent question, one I've not heard asked. I'd almost be afraid to ask the dealer who sold you the policy. You know they don't deal in Rotas, I don't know about the Generals. But for what you paid they should simply insure whatever wheels/tires you buy for the car, not just what came on it. Just my .02. What does the policy say about what's covered?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
More Info from Dunlop!!!

I just took delivery of a new MCS over the weekend and balked at the dealer's offer to sell me a wheel and tire road hazard warranty for $1,000. I also received a lot of conflicting information as to what is repairable on the Dunlop runflats and what is not.

Dunlop customer relations told me that their standard limited warranty on runflats applies even if the dealer does not supply it to you. It requires only proof of date of purchase. Aside from the standard mfg defect warranty usually supplied with a new car with conventional tires, the warranty covers road hazards to the runflat tire for the first year or first 2/32" tread depth, whichever comes first.

Also, and just as interesting, Dunlop told me that they disagree with BMW regarding repairability of their runflats. BMW says not, Dunlop says a puncture in the tread area can be repaired in the same manner as a non-runflat (of course, as long as the puncture is not to close to the shoulder), even if the the tire has been driven the max allowable mileage with absolutely zero air pressure. They designed it that way. Sound like BMW has taken an overly conservative view regarding liability issues.

Hope this helps those of you trying to come with to terms with the runflat issues.
I was curious about whether the Dunlop road hazard warranty on their runflats applies equally to OEM and owner replacement tires since I didn't ask that question on my first call. Low and behold comes the reply, "Yes, except on Dunlop runflats supplied on new BMW and Mini cars." I asked why this was so and the person said basically because BMW disagrees with Dunlop's statement that a puncture is repairable. So that's why I never got a tire warranty booklet with my new MCS. Is this really a conspiracy between BMW and its dealers to put more profit into the pockets of the dealers by selling expensive road hazard warranties? We'll probably never know.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
That's an excellent question, one I've not heard asked. I'd almost be afraid to ask the dealer who sold you the policy. You know they don't deal in Rotas, I don't know about the Generals. But for what you paid they should simply insure whatever wheels/tires you buy for the car, not just what came on it. Just my .02. What does the policy say about what's covered?
Very little. It says to see the terms and conditions on the reverse, but my copy did not have a reverse.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:18 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One reason I passed on the 16" wheel upgrade was the run flat tires. For $1,000, I can buy three or four sets of top-quality 15" tires, with road hazard, lifetime balancing, lifetime tire rotation, and lifetime flat-repair included! BMW doesn't recommend fixing a flat on a run-flat tire? Of course they don't! Who would buy their incredibly overpriced insurance if they knew that the flat tire could be repaired for $20 at any local tire center?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
matthewsjl
2nd Gear
I was going to take the wheel/tire insurance - until it was about $500 for two years compared to my Z4 being $600 for two years. The Mini runflats are $130ish on Tirerack and the Z4 rears are $340. Once you look at the numbers that way the Mini policy seems overpriced. Add in the fact that the Z4 was on 18" wheels that are way more likely to get bent than the 16" variety and it looks even worse!

So, I hunted online and found Paragon Motor Club: http://www.paragonmotorclub.com/tirewheel/

Yep, one year of wheel/tire insurance for $29.50 (advantage plan). $1400 maximum and $350 limit for wheel and tire. Total policy limit is $1400 for the year.

John.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can also take your brand new car to Discount Tire and get a tire warranty from them even though they never sold it to you, and it covers everything. Just so long as the tread isn't too worn. I think it;'s like 40 a tire. too bad I couldn't find that info on the dunlops as i got a flat within the first 2 weeks and MINI wouldn't do anything except order and install a new one. And Discount Tire didn't have the new dunlop runflat available when i picked up my car. At least for Cali sale anyway. I think Oregon had them available.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valthun
You can also take your brand new car to Discount Tire and get a tire warranty from them even though they never sold it to you, and it covers everything. Just so long as the tread isn't too worn. I think it;'s like 40 a tire. too bad I couldn't find that info on the dunlops as i got a flat within the first 2 weeks and MINI wouldn't do anything except order and install a new one. And Discount Tire didn't have the new dunlop runflat available when i picked up my car. At least for Cali sale anyway. I think Oregon had them available.
This is exactly what we did. But someone has told me that Discount Tire doesn't do this anymore. Since Bimini is going to arrive in the a couple weeks, I'm gonna be finding out.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by matthewsjl
I was going to take the wheel/tire insurance - until it was about $500 for two years compared to my Z4 being $600 for two years. The Mini runflats are $130ish on Tirerack and the Z4 rears are $340. Once you look at the numbers that way the Mini policy seems overpriced. Add in the fact that the Z4 was on 18" wheels that are way more likely to get bent than the 16" variety and it looks even worse!

So, I hunted online and found Paragon Motor Club: http://www.paragonmotorclub.com/tirewheel/

Yep, one year of wheel/tire insurance for $29.50 (advantage plan). $1400 maximum and $350 limit for wheel and tire. Total policy limit is $1400 for the year.

John.
Looks like you can't buy it if you reside in California.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Well as an update today I went out to my MCS for:

1.Check the brand of tire which is Dunlop SP Sport 011 205/45/R17 runflats.
2. Find the tire warranty policy in the owner's pack which not surprising isn't there and now I know why as per exevoguy talk with Dunlop Customer Service.

I even went to Dunlop's website and that specific tire isn't listed.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Hyper Skip
2nd Gear
Don't Buy a warranty

I live in the SF Bayarea where everything is high. When I bought my car in DEC 05 dealer tried to sell me the $800 warranty. I said no way. Well 2 1/2 years later, last weekend. I had two nails and a screw removed from two of my Perrelli run flats that had been in the tire for a year and it cost me $120.00 with tax. I did not get them plugged until one of them finally started to leak air. Yes it was expensive but I came out ahead $ 680.00. In a year or 2 when the tread is finally worn I'll get non runflats. As for wheels its pretty hard to kill the stock wheels. If I did I then would have an excuse without wife uproar to buy new wheels.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
exevoguy
1st Gear
Finally Got this Sorted Out! (I think)

I talked with Dunlop again and got a hold of the Dunlop DSST warranty brochure, which is something that the BMW/Mini dealer should be providing IMO, but doesn't because BMW disagrees with Dunlop's policy about the repairability of their runflats.

The brochure is too big to upload here, but I would be happy to email it to anyone interested. If you study the warranty you will see that any Dunlop DSST installed new on a new car is eligible for this one year or first 2/32" tread wear (whichever comes first), regardless of the make of vehice it is installed on, and includes free replacement if the tire is not repairable.

Quick Reply: R56 RunFlat Info From Dunlop