R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Comparative Shop BMW 128i vs MINI Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsminidrmer
i could be wrong, but I think the 135i would still outclass a JCW MCS. No matter how you look at it, it's a V6 Twin Turbo vs a 1.4L Turbo. That's just in terms of straight power. I believe the 135i had M-tuned suspensions as well as a LSD right off the line. I think car and driver? or 5th gear? they did a run of different tests with a current 335i vs a 2004(?) M3 vs a 135i. The 135i matched and excelled the M3 in most tests and lost by a hair pin in the lap time against the M3. And according motoring file...(just a couple of quotes)

just wanted to point out that BMW has never had a V6 engine. It's always been I-6. that and 1.6L not 1.4L 135i also does not have an LSD only elsd similar to JCW.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
just wanted to point out that BMW has never had a V6 engine. It's always been I-6. that and 1.6L not 1.4L 135i also does not have an LSD only elsd similar to JCW.
Lets also point out that the 135i is almost $10k more than the JCW with similar options.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 PM
bgdc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JudgeS
I don't considering it so close in price to the 3 series, for a lot less car, start comparing what you get from Infinity, Lexus, or even Audi for the same price and its ridiculously overpriced.
I'm comparing the 128 to my 2006 330i and 2003 330i. It's a better value than either car. By far.

As for HP we are currently in a huge upward trend in that department for every car maker so comparing it to the e46 with regards to power is apples to oranges. I mean most model cars still in production are making 30-50 more hp compared to their 2002 versions.
I had a 2003 330i ZHP that made 235 stock HP. It would beat the snot out of a 128i on a track or even for day to day use. But my e46 330i was a 43k car. For 37-38k I could slip into a 135i that would light up my ZHP as if it were a junker on the side of the road.

You want to compare to an Audi? Okay, pick out the 2 door Audi with RWD that comes close to 30k. Tick-tock. No such car exists. You can suck it up with a craptastic FWD Audi TT 2.0T or 35k and be down on performance or go for the 44k Audi TT 3.2 which should about match a 128 in performance but not in utility, maintenance costs or depreciation. If you're at the point of dropping 44k on a TT, just get the 135 and you'll end up with a car that'll tar and feather a poseur TT in every metric.

Lexus doesn't make a 2 door coupe, so they're pointless to bring up.

MB you could claim the SLK is a coupe of sorts but that starts at 46k. Do you really think it makes sense to compare the SLK at 16k more to a 30k 128? We'll say 128ci...at 34k it's still down 12k on the SLK.

Yes, one can claim the G37 is a competitor to the 1 series. There's truth to that. Of all the competitors you mentioned, only Infiniti really offers an option to the 1 and 3 series coupes. Personally, I don't like the extra-large size of the G37 or 3 series coupe, so for me, the 1 series is a more practical option. It's a chocolate, vanilla or strawberry choice. But outside of Infiniti, nobody else makes a RWD 4 place entry-lux coupe for under 32k.

Last edited by bgdc; 07-04-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 PM
bgdc
2nd Gear
The point being is its not in the same class (aside from price, and thats cause its overpriced) of any of those cars, all come with far nicer features standard, and aside from the TT are far bigger in size. The 1 series is an econo box, a luxury one at that, only car thats I would view as similar is the A3 (although as we know its a 4 door hatch, and tough to compare when we dont get all the versions that europe gets) also tough to compare as while the base A3 is much better equipped (and chipped will produce much more power) than the 128i its fwd vs rwd, when you compare the 3.2 A3 (which I find to be overpriced as well) with the 135i, your getting much more car for less (I think the awd and added features of the 3.2, trump the modest HP advantage of the 135i). The Biggest reason they are both overpriced is that the A4 and 3 series are only a couple of thousand more for much superior sized, and equipped cars.
Apples and oranges. We own an A3 DSG. It's a luxury-sports wagon - emphasis on luxury and wagon. There's very little sport to an A3. Almost zero really. And through 2008 it's FWD unless you opt for the fatty-3.2 with the awful haldex AWD system. That 3.2 is 36k before adding extra features. That's a good 6k more than a 128i, which is a coupe and it will chew up an A3 in every way from a driver's point of view - better chassis, better engine, RWD, smooth manual (not a DSG - remember we have one!), maintenance, better resale. But these cars do not compete. My wife's A3 is a fine car for her - for me, I'd go 5 door GTI first as the suspension is tuned more aggressively. still if I didn't need the extra space, the 128 wins on all counts.

Only BMW currently offers a 4 place RWD coupe for 30k. It's a market they own with the likes of Infiniti's G37 and Nissan's 350z knocking in some ways but appealing to a different kind of buyer.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:14 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowmcs

my mistakes sir...

yes the 135i is 10K more than a JCW, but as people here know, you can easily dump close to 10K on your MCS. And it probably still won't be in the 135i's class.

my opinions...don't take it wrong.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:00 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bgdc
Apples and oranges. We own an A3 DSG. It's a luxury-sports wagon - emphasis on luxury and wagon. There's very little sport to an A3. Almost zero really. And through 2008 it's FWD unless you opt for the fatty-3.2 with the awful haldex AWD system. That 3.2 is 36k before adding extra features. That's a good 6k more than a 128i, which is a coupe and it will chew up an A3 in every way from a driver's point of view - better chassis, better engine, RWD, smooth manual (not a DSG - remember we have one!), maintenance, better resale. But these cars do not compete. My wife's A3 is a fine car for her - for me, I'd go 5 door GTI first as the suspension is tuned more aggressively. still if I didn't need the extra space, the 128 wins on all counts.

Only BMW currently offers a 4 place RWD coupe for 30k. It's a market they own with the likes of Infiniti's G37 and Nissan's 350z knocking in some ways but appealing to a different kind of buyer.
Not apples to oranges at all, hell they were basically designed to compete against each other, first and formost as entry level luxury cars, or Luxury compacts whatever you want to call them.

Now your giving way to much credit to the "sport ability" of the 128i, and not nearly enough to the A3 2.0T, they are in the exact same class (they are designed to compete against each other worldwide), your getting hung up in the fact that here in the US we only get the coupe 1 series and the 5 door A3 (lets remember the S3 and 5 door 1 series are also both built on the same chassis). They are similar weight, size, output, and price. I have test driven the 1 series and I owned an A3 for almost 3 years, and tracked the car many time, there is a ton of sport to the car (if your finding 0 your driving it wrong), and I prefer the car in every way to the 128i except for it being fwd (better chassis, much better engine, better handling, better tranny) thats not to say the 128i is a slouch, or that they both aren't over priced. The 1 series is not similar to the G37 or 350z (aside from the number of doors) its a much smaller car, different seating position, different market completely, The G37 competes with the A5, or the 2 door 3 series as a true GT, 1 series is a two door compact/econo box, despite its packaging, you can not forget this.

As for the 3.2, I was comparing it to the 135, so its actually a bit less $ than its 1 series counter part, and I'm sorry you find haldex to be "awful", it is good enough for the Bugatti Veyron, and quite a nice performer on the track. That being said performance-wise its a tough comparison, I mean I'm not a big fan of the 3.2 engine (as opposed to the 2.0T, which I like better) but even the "awful" haldex awd is better than any rwd to me. But the 50 more horse the 135 has to offer is tough to ignore.

When Audi brings over the AWD 2.0T next year, or if they ever bring over the S3, and/or if BMW ever brings over the 1 series hatch/5 door, we could do better comparisons, like the rest of the world gets to do since these cars were launched.

Last edited by JudgeS; 07-05-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM
bgdc
2nd Gear
Not apples to oranges at all, hell they were basically designed to compete against each other, first and formost as entry level luxury cars, or Luxury compacts whatever you want to call them.
The 1 series coupe was not designed to compete with the A3 wagon. The 1 coupe was designed specifically for the American market. The A3 was designed specifically for Europe and really it's just a luxuried up GTI.

In my experience tracking BMWs and owning an A3 DSG for 2 years, comparing the two is laughable. Flat out hilarious. Infiniti's G37/G35 can hang with BMW's 1 and 3 series cars. The US spec A3 is a soft economy car built on VW's universal Mrk V chassis; it has no business on a track . Or being mentioned in the same breath as performance.

If you don't believe a 128 will devour an A3 2.0T or the super-heavy FWD-biased Haldex-equipped 3.2, you didn't push the 128. It's essentially a better handling chassis than the e9x BMWs which are leaps beyond the Mrk V. 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, manuals (3.2 comes only with DSG - ick). The balance, power, suspension of the spec e87 allows for entry/exits that no US spec A3 can achieve.

Not all Haldex systems are the same. The A3 uses the same junk as the volvo S40 and Mazdaspeed6 - it's FWD-biased and only shifts power to the rear when there is a loss of traction. The new A4's Torsen AWD system is split 40:60 front to back to the car naturally pushes instead of pulls. The A3 3.2's system pulls, instead of pushes, resulting in understeer and poor acceleration from corners/straigts.

Last edited by bgdc; 07-05-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
darwinian
2nd Gear
I would consider the 1 series 3-door or 5-door hatchback that is currently sold in Europe. I hope they bring the hatchbacks here.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 AM
smpeck
3rd Gear
I previously owned a 135i convertible and was very happy to trade it in on my MCS. Once you get past the thrill of unleashing the 300+ horses, the car itself kinda sucked. The ride was horrible and it's just way overpriced for what you get. The cowl shake is unnerving for a car that costs so much. Hence, avoid the 1 series convertible at all costs. I would have been much happier with the 135i coupe, minus the run flats.

Back to the OP's post, the only way I would consider a 128i would be a manual transmission with M Sport package. In certain colors the car is not boring at all (i.e. Space Gray). The 1 series Sport seats are awesome and by far the most comfortable I've ever owned. Ditch the run flats early and you will be set.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:16 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy 2 year old thread bump....

Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 AM
jeanrabelais
1st Gear
I paid in the mid 30s for my JCW Cab. At the time a dealer offered me a new 128i with leather for the same price (at his invoice), but I went for the mini. I figured I would rather have the top of the line mini then the entry level BMW. However, I still like the 135i Cabriolet a lot and that may be my next car... that or a panamera s.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Sidewalksam
3rd Gear
do you need room? What kind of driver are you (spirted, relaxed...)

the thing about asking car questions like this on a board dedicated to the mini is that you will get lots of love for the mini.

I love lots of cars, I have several and I approach each purchase based on need and want. My truck I need for picking stuff up taking 9 people somewhere and taking long trips with stuff. My spyder is solely a toy for fun. Our mini is a fun daily driver with a drop top for added bonus time.

What do you need? what do you like? answer these questions and you will get better advice (and likely not need our opinions).

I wanted a fun daily driver and looked at drop top BMW and decided the investment was not worth the real use and enjoyment I would get out of the car. In contrast the cooper S was frugal, fun (for a fwd) kid friendly (as in them driving it) excellent gas milage for the aforementioned qualities and given I have a sidewalk version uber loaded.

These very reasons I am happy with my purchase may be all the reasons someone else might hate a mini.

drive them both be honest with yourself and choose what you like the best and what suits your needs. saving 5K on a car that will not fill the need as well as a more pricy car will not save you grief.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Headlands
4th Gear
Originally Posted by protoculture
Oof. MINI scores very low on that chart, lower than BMW.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A 128i is a lower powered, plushier everyday ride compared to the high strung MCS, which borders on being a race car. No comparasion.

actually the 135i, while being a totally diff car than the MCS, fares better. Dont see many 135is around these parts--like MINI several years ago--but last week I demo'd a new single-turbo model with the dual clutch 7 speed and it was quite exhilarating A RWD go-fast-kart with a tranny that shifts so fast and smooth it'll convert stubborn stickheads everywhere....

and we dont even have the hot M model yet (wont be called an M1). I agree with another poster tho that I wish the hatches were sold here, for the 1 series trunk space sucks. Performance and utility. That's where the S wins!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 PM
purpletree
1st Gear
I drove the 128i without the sport package and it was NICE. Very decent car. Much more fun than the 328i.
Drove a 135i convertible (test drive at a dealership)... even better.
...Bought a 2009 MCS, manual, sport pkg, premium pkg, nav etc etc. Much more smiles (a lot of fun) for a lot less and supposedly good mileage (I am still getting under 24mpg) but still better than 16... (with spirited driving).
The MCS and the 1 series are quite different and the 1 series is more useful/practical but the cooper is more smiles and you just don't want to get out of the car even when you reach home...

Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
The whole thread really points out how good the MINI is for the price you pay. Look at all the cars you people are comparing it against. They are all WAY more expensive than the MINI - yet the MINI deserves comparison. Heck, you compare it against an M3!

I never see anyone comparing honda or scion to BMWs, Audi, etc.