R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:34 PM
rickdm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife thought we needed it so my new '08 has one. Though it does not rattle it is beginning to buzz. I wish I hadn't gotten it.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Sunroof threads are like Obama/Hillary threads Everybody loves 'em/hates 'em. I've had one one my last 4 cars and I don't open them that much, but I like the one on the Mini because of the light it lets in (I'm not in Phoenix either).

Old 05-25-2008, 03:42 PM
matty125
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rickdm
My wife thought we needed it so my new '08 has one. Though it does not rattle it is beginning to buzz. I wish I hadn't gotten it.

Ooopps Thats what happens when you leave ur computer unlocked sorry

Last edited by matty125; 05-27-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Bananas
2nd Gear
I have the sunroof and love it. I had one on my previous car and never cared much about it but decided to go ahead and get one in the Mini too because I got the anthracite headliner (another must-have for me) and thought it might be good to have that extra light. Yeah, it's great to have that extra light. The Mini sunroof is just so big. I hardly ever open it, I just love the light coming in. It's also nice to be able to tilt up the sunroof to let the heat out. I did order the Stratmosphere shades to put in there during the summer, but will likely only leave them in when the car is parked.

Roof color: sometimes I wish I'd gotten a black roof, because the sunroof would then blend in with the roof. With a white roof there's a big black rectangle right in the middle. But it's not a big deal.

Last edited by Bananas; 05-25-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
DC1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LazyT
Color and roof is my other big quandary. Pepper White/Black and save $500 or go stealth in all black?
I started out with silver/black top and decided multiple times to get BRG with white then black top and then to Chili red (also save $) with white top and just finalized my choice to Red with black top. Too many choices and had input from wife and daughter.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
If you like to sit in the sun, get the sunroof.
If you like shade, don't get the sunroof.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Love my sunroof. Back seat passengers love it too. The shades do a great job too. We had a few 90+ degree days out here in Nor Cal and the car stayed fairly cool.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Mininightflame
1st Gear
Well I wasn't considering a sunroof until T took a test drive with the option. Then I was sold. Yes it does get warm and the Sun gets bright, but I just put on the shades

Old 05-26-2008, 04:39 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
Rattles, flimsy frames and mosquito screen netting don't do much for me. My next Mini would NOT have the sunroof - unless it is improved.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
I did not get one and do not regret it. Almost every car I've ever been familiar with (40+ years of driving) that had a sunroof had problems. They are a high risk for problems including noise, water leaks, mechanical problems, all at extra expense (and weight I might add). Just my opinion, others will surely differ.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
My first moonroof was on a 93 Integra. Loved it so much we won't buy another car without one. So the Intrepid had one. The first MCS had one. The second MCS (to replace the first MCS due to accident) has one. And the 2008 BRG I just picked up has one. One of the first things I noticed about the 2008 is that the wind noise is significantly reduced from our 2006's. The 2006 models both had quite a bit of wind noise in comparison to our first two non-MINIs. BMW has gotten it close to right, not perfect yet, but much better. And last thing - never had a leak issue on any of them. Even on the acura that had a cracked window due to hail. Drove it for 3 years with the cracks NBD.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 AM
kavatski
3rd Gear
The sunroof was a "Mini must" for me and I'm pleased with it. Even on a cold or rainy day I enjoy the open feeling you get with the glass roof. I can only go back about 20 years but have never had a sunroof-related problem with any vehicle that was so equipped. Wouldn't buy a car without one now.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
I have one on my current MINI. I now keep it covered, all the time, with shades I bought from stratmosphere.com. I don't like to bake in the sun light and I can never figure out why the supplied roll up shade is perforated. It's essentially useless. That plus, at any speed above 40 mph, the wind noise is unbearable when the roof is opened. As for my Clubman (on order), there won't be a sunroof. I won't make the same mistake twice.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
PocketRkt
1st Gear
I chose not to get it because the shade is so poorly executed. I like to be able to close the roof to get out of the sun. I also read that they rattle etc. Interior is a bit too dark without it though.

If I ordered another Mini, I'd get the sunroof though as it feels a bit more upscale.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 AM
kgardnez
4th Gear
I've been battling a leak and smell in my Audi sunroof for 2 years, for this reason I do no have a sunroof in the Mini. In contrast, I have a 22 year old BMW E30 which has had no problems... so it's not all sunroofs.

If the Mini sunroof had been steel I would have considered it, personally I still believe a solid sunroof is the best approach.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPol
+1 "Sunroof all the way ! "
I always told my Husband that MY next car would have a Sun Roof...haven't been able to use Molly's much. Weather up here in the PNW sucks right now, but I look up through it every once in a while and know it was the right choice!!
+1 +1

Old 05-26-2008, 09:54 AM
tony1athome
3rd Gear
No on the sunroof.It's not big enough. Ya gotta see the whole sky so go for the cabrio!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
I am in the same quandry as the thread starter. I like the concept but don't want any noise related downsides. When some of you speak of "wind noise" do you mean that you have such noise even when the roof is fully closed?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
I've never had any wind noise with the sunroof closed. I assume that if you do, there's some defect that should be fixed under warranty. As far as wind noise when it's open...well, all sunroofs have wind noise when open. Complaining about that is pointless.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
roscoenj
2nd Gear
TjTull

Agree that wind noise with the roof open is part of the deal. i just want (relative) quiet when it is closed

Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
exile
1st Gear
I wish they had a rain sensor so that you could leave the sunroof at the "vent" position, but when the rain sensor detected rain, they'd close.

I guess that type of option does come on higher-end cars. I too haven't ordered and consider the sunroof a coin toss.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no noise from mine when closed and it is a lot less noisy than most when open, that front 'air-dam' was a great idea.

There is a long thread on the Stock Problems/Issues board: "Sunroof Does Not Open When Its Warm Out" (60 posts).

No doubt that the addition of *any* 'extra feature' opens another possibility for some glitch, but for me that huge sunroof was the 'deal kicker'.

I have had (and loved) convertibles now for most of the past forty-seven years, but my last one spoiled it all for me; '88 Turbo LeBaron with climate control and such a nice sealed, padded, insulated and headlined roof caused me to practice 'open-car' a lot less than I had with the previous four convertibles.

MINI's (largest I have seen) Sunroof is just the 'ticket' for me and answered my question of Cabrio or not.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
I love mine, just wish is was a little more tint, but now that's just the thing to get a perf. cusom roof graphic !!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
jjp007
4th Gear
Ok i just changed my order for the second time...if it's not to late I am adding on the Premium package :D Sunroof SOLD!

Ok folks how does the sunroof work exactly? Since it's so large.... Thanks! I love this forum! Just can't wait to get my very own Mini in July.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:20 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jjp007
Ok i just changed my order for the second time...if it's not to late I am adding on the Premium package :D Sunroof SOLD!

Ok folks how does the sunroof work exactly? Since it's so large.... Thanks! I love this forum! Just can't wait to get my very own Mini in July.
Both panes will tilt, in the tilt mode. In the fully open mode, the top pane rests on the back pane. Thus, only one pane will fully open.

Quick Reply: R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?