R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
BXR
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd vote for the sunroof.

Pros:
It makes the cabin seem larger.
Adds a lot to the exterior look.
In the city - the air is less polluted than the one that comes from the windows.

Cons:
Sun - you must find a solution when you want 100% sun block.
Noise - doesn't bother me.
leakage - if exists.
Music - If you have subwoofer and you like very high volume sound, it might bother you.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
gmhl10
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our MCS comes in a few weeks now.
We ordered ours without the sunroof just because of weight.
Weight at the highest part of the car is not so great since it raises the center of gravity.
I got a sunroof on my car (unfortunately), since I didn't order my car (technically, I did... but the dealer goofed big time and ended up selecting one on the lot).
I'm hoping that the wife comes out to autocrossing with me in her MCS.
That... and living here in Hawaii... I've used my sunroof in my car for a total of about 3 times I can remember... in 3 years.

IDK the exact specs of the Mini... but..
On a BMW E46 M3...
A sunroof to a non-sunroof car is a 36 lbs difference.
A sunroof to a CSL carbon fiber roof car is a 48 lbs difference.
When I saw the MCS sunroof car at the dealer... they got 2 huge glasses on top, which looks noticeably larger than my M3's.
I can only imagine how much MORE weight that it'd be over a non-sunroof.

Cons that I see:
- If you're tall, the head clearance is less
- The glass is in place of a metal roof bow for rollovers
- Lots more weight, which raises your center of gravity (and your MPG)
- Costs more to put in that option

Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
I certainly appreciate all the great feedback on my "To sunroof or not to sunroof:..." thread. Not only am I lazy, but I'm cheap too. So the biggest con is the $1,000 extra. I have a sunroof in my BMW and I've only used it a couple of times.

Right now, my must have options are only the LSD, DSC and the Multi-function Steering Wheel for the Cruise Control. If I don't go for the sunroof, I might add the Anthracite Headliner since alot of posters on this forum recommend it.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
YEA! F the sunroof even though I have it.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
Good option choices

Originally Posted by LazyT
I certainly appreciate all the great feedback on my "To sunroof or not to sunroof:..." thread. Not only am I lazy, but I'm cheap too. So the biggest con is the $1,000 extra. I have a sunroof in my BMW and I've only used it a couple of times.

Right now, my must have options are only the LSD, DSC and the Multi-function Steering Wheel for the Cruise Control. If I don't go for the sunroof, I might add the Anthracite Headliner since alot of posters on this forum recommend it.
Surfblue says; Those are great must have choices. Me, I love sunroofs... ON OTHER PEOPLE'S CARS. Never owned one that didn't end up with problems sooner or later, and repetitive problems at that. Don't miss it one bit on the Mini. Anthracite headliner: Great choice. I like driving in the batcave! See my gallery for some interior pics and and "the list" on my car.

Last edited by surfblue; 05-27-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: punc.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
YEA! F the sunroof even though I have it.
Why you no like?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Even if it was free, no thank you.

Why?
Weight
Sun
Roll over crash protection
Something else to grease/maintain/seals

Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Krafty04
Even if it was free, no thank you.
Are you keeping your 335i?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For me...

I have a real convertible and don't like sunroofs. They weight too much, at the highest part of the car. My 02 doesn't have one.

My wife likes them, and her old Civic Si had one. I hated it because it was one that came under the roof, and realy limited headroom. She didn't care because she's only 5'1".

This is one where you get what you like.... Given a choice, I'd never buy one.

Matt

Old 05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Why you no like?
Sun. One day I will remove it. Mechanics can "shave" door handles so I'm thinking they can "shave" the sun roof. Perhaps it can be better than an original hard top.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
scottybue
2nd Gear
didn't order one. don't miss it.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
I have one, sometimes it's great, other times I wish I didn't.

If I had it to do over again, I'd skip it.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
lower mpg with a sunroof... you've gotta be kidding me. If you're THAT concerned about weight, go on a diet.

And rollover protection? Seriously? If you're talking about an suv, okay, but a mini? If you're rolling your mini, you're doing something seriously wrong. On top of that, I'm sure that the main supports for the roof are NOT located over the front and rear windows, where the sunroof is. They'll be located over the pillars in the car... The main support is going to be in the very center of the car, where the sunroof splits...

Leaks and noises are hit or miss. You can't plan for them, but they could be an issue.

Head clearance and the sun are the only real issues imo...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Mininightflame
1st Gear
I agree with you dwf137,
MPG?? I just got 44.5 MPG on my last tank and I'm a big boy that could loose a few pounds; maybe I would get 50+MPG on a diet.
Rollover?? Traded in my Rubicon to get my Mini; can't see how one would roll it...not saying impossible, but very difficult!
Headroom is fine at 6'-5"
Normally I don't get the sunroof, but so far I've enjoyed mine and don't have any leaks or wind noise.
Now if I were taking it to the track I wouldn't fit with a helmet on.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Are you keeping your 335i?
Oh yeah. It's the wifes daily driver, but my weekend toy.

I can't wait to get to the states and get it on a track. Have you driven one?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
What the...if you're considering a sunroof then you have to make the assumption that there will be no rattles or leaks if built to factory spec. As far as I know there's not a car manufacturer out there who would design and build a sunroof with any type of tolerance for leaks or rattles, nor a dealer who would say rattling or leaking from a sunroof is "normal". If your sunroof does exhibit these problems it simply wasn't built the way intended by the factory and it's a guaranteed warranty repair.

That said, the main negative would be the lack of proper shading, the mesh shade just doesn't cut it. It can be fixed at a small price w/ aftermarket or DIY solutions.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM
playtowin
2nd Gear
I've had it on previous cars and rarely used it. However, on my MCS I use it all the time. No rattles yet and no problem with the sun (at least during the several 100+ deg days that we have had in SoCal a couple of weeks ago).

Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, but I was laughing at this one..

Originally Posted by DrewN
What the...if you're considering a sunroof then you have to make the assumption that there will be no rattles or leaks if built to factory spec. As far as I know there's not a car manufacturer out there who would design and build a sunroof with any type of tolerance for leaks or rattles, nor a dealer who would say rattling or leaking from a sunroof is "normal". If your sunroof does exhibit these problems it simply wasn't built the way intended by the factory and it's a guaranteed warranty repair.

That said, the main negative would be the lack of proper shading, the mesh shade just doesn't cut it. It can be fixed at a small price w/ aftermarket or DIY solutions.
They only care for 50,000 miles.... Also, jack up one corner of pretty much any older car, say with 60k or more miles on it. Then look at the door gaps as you open and close the door. Even on a Mini, with it's supposed rigid chassis, you can see more give in it when you get up there in miles. Just the way cars are.

Matt

Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Not only am I lazy, but I'm cheap too. So the biggest con is the $1,000 extra. I have a sunroof in my BMW and I've only used it a couple of times.
Lazy and Cheap is no way to go through life

If you've only used the sunroof in your BMW twice...haven't you already answered your own question

Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Oh my god. Looks like its time for me to insert my sarcastic 2 cents.

You should get a sunroof if:

1. You participate in parades often and Miss (insert your state here) needs to stand up sticking out of the roof to wave at the crowd.

2. You like to smile for Google Earth satellite photos.

4. You are over 7 feet tall.

5. You own a pet giraffe.

You should not get a sunroof if:

1. You have a abject fear to pigeons crapping on your head.

2. You regularly drive through hard hat required areas.

2. You are a Vampire and like to take afternoon drives.

3. You are a werewolf and like to take midnight drives.

Or how about this simple answer.
If you like sunshine and fresh air, get one. If not, dont. I dont think a congressional subcommittee is required to look into the reliability and psychological ramifications of a sunroof on a car.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
They only care for 50,000 miles.... Also, jack up one corner of pretty much any older car, say with 60k or more miles on it. Then look at the door gaps as you open and close the door. Even on a Mini, with it's supposed rigid chassis, you can see more give in it when you get up there in miles. Just the way cars are.
Good point (guess I sould be saying "doh!" right now and smacking my forehead), but even out of warranty, is it worth worrying about the extra $200-500 (wild guess) it would take to fix it, considering the 4-6 years of enjoyment you got out of it, plus the potential added resale value down the line?

Back to OP's question, have a sunroof, and love it. Jolyrogr, great point, I am a sunshine/fresh air lover, and in general prefer the airy feel of having an open sunroof w/o going the cabrio route.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This problem about the mesh shade letting through too much sun is not a new problem....you'd think MINI might've improved on the 1st gen's sunroof......I started a thread on this a year ago in the General MINI Talk about a fix for this for 2004 MC that I was trying to bring to market, still trying....

here's the link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ghlight=opaque

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I like the sunroof on my MINI a lot more than I thought I would, and use it a lot more than I thought I would. I run the A/C a lot less in late spring and summer too. Tis a bit noisy motoring full tilt on the highway with it open, but cracking down the side windows muffles that whooshing just a bit.

I got the checkerboard graphic on the sunroof and mirrors as part of the deal to buy the floor model. The graphic cuts down on the glare when driving with the sunroof closed. The screen mesh tends to do the same thing when the sunroof is open. Still, sunglasses a good thing to have. Aviators, since we sit in the cockpit.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by penguinpwrdbox
I have one, sometimes it's great, other times I wish I didn't.

If I had it to do over again, I'd skip it.
I bought my Cooper used and it came with the sun roof. So since I didn't have to pay for it as an extra, I don't mind having it - sort of. But I kind of feel like the quote above; and I think if I had to pay for it as an add-on, I'd probably skip it. Probably.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
the damn glass dont way 80 lbs

Actually it is more like 60 pounds. Worst place on the car to have extra weight.

Personally, I think sunroofs are a huge waste of money and the potential for rattles, leaks and other host of issues post-warranty further accentuate my dislike for them

Have driven tons of MINIs with them and I am not yet sold into them. Perhaps is this hot and humid climate that makes any kind of motoring with the windows down a very uncomfortable proposition.

Have custom ordered 4 MINIs and none of them have had sunroofs. Love the look and solidity of the solid metal roof. My A/C works much better, my car has less weight up top, better fuel economy and no annoying rattles, exploded glass panels or a sunroof that flat out refuses to open because it is hot outside

Get performance options/mods that are far more rewarding than a sliding piece of glass.

Just my humble opinion.

Quick Reply: R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?