R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want the other items in the Premium Package? If so, the sunroof seems cheaper.
Are you in love with the classic Mini? Then you hate the sunroof.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jolyrogr
Oh my god. Looks like its time for me to insert my sarcastic 2 cents.

You should get a sunroof if:

1. You participate in parades often and Miss (insert your state here) needs to stand up sticking out of the roof to wave at the crowd.

2. You like to smile for Google Earth satellite photos.

4. You are over 7 feet tall.

5. You own a pet giraffe.

You should not get a sunroof if:

1. You have a abject fear to pigeons crapping on your head.

2. You regularly drive through hard hat required areas.

2. You are a Vampire and like to take afternoon drives.

3. You are a werewolf and like to take midnight drives.

Or how about this simple answer.
If you like sunshine and fresh air, get one. If not, dont. I dont think a congressional subcommittee is required to look into the reliability and psychological ramifications of a sunroof on a car.
Thanks for the laugh Jolyrogr!

Picked up my Mini today, Tooled around with sunroof open to varying degrees for hours. Love it.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Just watch out for the pigeons!

Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
So it's pretty much a matter of preference, of course. I don't really see anyone saying they are having problems with their Mini's sunroof.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 AM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Krafty04
I can't wait to get to the states and get it on a track. Have you driven one?
I actually have a 335i Coupe and I want to also get a streamlined MCS- LSD; DCS; MFSW and possibly a sunroof for my daily driver. I love the MCS' little 4-Pot with all of the MCS' tuning capabilities.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 AM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
Do you want the other items in the Premium Package? If so, the sunroof seems cheaper.
Are you in love with the classic Mini? Then you hate the sunroof.
No, I'm only interested in the sunroof.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
For me, the SR was a must have. Is it perfect? No. Wind noise when tilted is a little more than expected. An opaque visor would have been good. My sunroof is tinted so it is no where near as hot as otherwise (I tested this on the road). Is it worth it? Absolutely. It was either a sunroof or a cabrio... :D

Old 06-01-2008, 04:50 PM
LazyT
3rd Gear
Bump.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Sunroof = Latin for PREFERENCE
I wanted the other items in the Premium Package, so the Sunroof was cheap.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
tesseract
1st Gear
I love my MINI sunroof (and sunroofs in general) - when it's open, there is less wind noise and less direct wind blast than having the windows open or even cracked, so I can open the sunroof in colder temperatures and at faster speeds than I'd open the windows. The pop-up mesh air deflector thingy keeps noise reasonable until about 60mph; on the expressway I have to switch to vent mode, or close the sunroof halfway to keep the noise down. (Other cars I've been in have had quiet sunroofs up to 80mph or so - so I'm a bit disappointed by this.) I haven't had a problem with glare yet - the roller shades plus stock tint seem fine, and on really bright days I wear sunglasses anyway when driving. The ability to close the mesh shade when the glass is open is a nice option that other cars don't have. I'm of average height (5'10) so headroom isn't an issue even with the driver's seat raised somewhat high.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since the sunroof is fairly large in proportion to the car and roof it really adds a feeling of openness in an otherwise tight cockpit. With both windows open and the sunroof fully open it's a very airy, open car. I wasn't going to get the sunroof, but my wife really liked it, so we went for it, and I'm glad we did. She was right, as always!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:11 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say, get the sunroof. I wouldn't own a car without one! There is nothing like the sight of blue sky above when you're running the twisties in the spring, fall, and (in my area), winter. As for the summer sun, get a tint. Works in the hottest weather here in Houston, which has been compared to h-e-double hockey sticks.

Some have commented about the weight above. When this came up in another thread, I asked my MA about it. He went straight to the source--the German engineers--and the word was 55 pounds, as I recall. To me that's not a big deal, and yes, we do autocross. Don't forget, a solid roof weighs something, too.

Some have mentioned rattles, and other problems. Nope, never had any in all of the cars I've had with sunroofs. The only noise has been with it open, and it still was proportional to the wind--nothing surprising or unreasonable. Never needed maintenance, either--even in the 14 year old BMW I had before my MINI.

I think it will improve resale value, too. Can't put a number on it, but again, there are a lot of people like myself who like them. Also, it brightens up the MINI interior.

Originally Posted by CDMINI
I never liked the idea of 80lbs. of glass over my head, but then my first MINI was rear-ended and totaled by a LYNX Bus with myself and my 2 y/o daughter on board. We weren't hurt but I can't say that would have been the same if that glass had rained down upon us!
Interesting comment. I totaled a BMW with a sunroof. No problem with the glass--it just crumbled into little pieces, just like other tempered glass. Absolutely no problem, and not even a scratch from the glass.

This is a true story:

When I had my wreck, no one saw me go off the road and hit a tree--this was way out in the boonies. I was trapped in the car, partly by a jammed door, and partly because I'd broken my back and it was extremely painful to move. My cell phone had flown to the floor. The first person to come by paused because he didn't understand why a car would be on the other side of the road, and he couldn't see me in the car. The left side of the car appeared undamaged, but the right side was rather smooshed. I put my hand through the sunroof above me and waved for help. Yup, then he responded, and I got the ambulance, helicopter, etc., I needed.

So, you see, sometimes a sunroof can be pretty handy. Oh, don't forget that in Holland it's considered a good idea because of the canals...

Last edited by daffodildeb; 06-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
tugboatboy
2nd Gear
How can you retrofit the ejection seat without one ??

Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To just add one more 'MINI Sunroof' fact that I just discovered:

Due to drought restrictions, we are limited to use of a Pressure Washer for car wash;
I washed my month old MINI using my 1750psi Pressure Washer w/Cherry Power in detergent tank.

Not a drop of water from the Sunroof (or any other window, door or hatch).

Have also noticed that driving in rain w/sunroof in 'vent' position, that no water enters.
__________________________________________________ ________

MINI's Sunroof is the BEST I've seen and easily cured my desire for convertibles. (Did Love the five that I have owned.)

There have been no reasons posted here (or in Stock Problems/Issues) to not get a Sunroof if you would like to have that feature.
No doubt that the addition of *any* 'extra feature' opens another possibility for some glitch, ...
I will add that if your desire is equal for the "JCW Aero Kit" that it might reduce your 'risk of glitch' (watch those curbs..

But your bottom line should be entirely based on your desire for sunroof, or not.

As far as resale value, you generally recover about half what you spend on popular upgrades and extras,
more popular= more recovery and I would consider a Sunroof to be a VERY Popular upgrade.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
kelsey ellen
I love my sunroof. I had one on my 02 Cooper and never had any leakage issues... rarely drove around with it CLOSED.. so when it came time to order Ollie I decided to go for it again... don't regret it a bit

Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
CarolinaCooper
4th Gear
The last 3 cars I have owned have each had a sunroof. Never have regretted it. Use the one on my MINI almost every day.

If you leave in a hot climate zone, I suggest ceramic window tint for both your windows and the sunroof. Works great by cutting both UV and infrared rays. I had this done on my MINI and, likewise, have not regretted it. Wished they had ceramic tint years ago.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Mini feels like a dark cave to me without the sunroof. I bought mine with the sunroof and I use frequently. I love motoring down the road with my windows and sunroof wide open on a nice day. Love it. Only thing better is riding a motorcycle in the country w/ perfect weather. (and no cars!)

It really just comes down to personal preference... some people like them, some don't.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I have a sunroof on my 03 and here in the south it way to warm, i am not getting one this time...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DuongR56
I know there are better options but I would kill myself to make the sunroof go away.
Ditto!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM
kelsey ellen
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
I have a sunroof on my 03 and here in the south it way to warm, i am not getting one this time...
how south are you?
i've lived in both south and north florida with no tint on my windows or sunroof and i've been fine..

the only regret i have is those damn leatherette seats. hello sweat!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
b werner
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scottybue
didn't order one. don't miss it.
Ditto!!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kelsey ellen
how south are you?
i've lived in both south and north florida with no tint on my windows or sunroof and i've been fine..

the only regret i have is those damn leatherette seats. hello sweat!
Ocala, but my new onewill have no sunroof, its just that hot.....

Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 AM
protoculture
3rd Gear
We're on Cooper S #3 ('02 DS/B, '04 BRG/W, '08 MY/B)... all have had the sunroof, and not one has rattled or leaked. The sunshade is not great, but my wife--who really tries to avoid direct sunlight--has never complained with the shade forward.

Btw, about glass raining down on you in an accident... it's safety glass. Not like big shards of window pane are going to come down on you, just little pebbles. It's unsettling, but it shouldn't cut you at all. It's also highly unlikely that something would deform the roof enough to break the glass anyway. Much more likely that one of the other six pieces of glass is going to break.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:19 AM
AnnaBee
1st Gear
Luv..Luv...Luv the sunroof!

We are a family of 4 and my son is a tall big kid, it makes more sense for me to sit in the back seat on those occasions when we are all together. I love the sunroof in the back as it gives you the illusion of more space. I don't feel cramped or claustrophobic[FONT='Times New Roman'] [/FONT]since there is so much light back there! My husband has always complained that his baseball cap hits the roof of our other cars with a sunroof - not the MINI!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:05 AM
kelsey ellen
Originally Posted by protoculture
We're on Cooper S #3 ('02 DS/B, '04 BRG/W, '08 MY/B)... all have had the sunroof, and not one has rattled or leaked. The sunshade is not great, but my wife--who really tries to avoid direct sunlight--has never complained with the shade forward.

Btw, about glass raining down on you in an accident... it's safety glass. Not like big shards of window pane are going to come down on you, just little pebbles. It's unsettling, but it shouldn't cut you at all. It's also highly unlikely that something would deform the roof enough to break the glass anyway. Much more likely that one of the other six pieces of glass is going to break.
I've seen carnage of flipped coopers with sunroofs and the sunroof is still in tact

Quick Reply: R56 To sunroof or not to sunroof: that is my question?