R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I have a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we could rename this thing Torque-in-Cheek.

Just a thought as we ponder whether this business should continue, or perhaps like JolyRogr motor on to the next destination in the MINIverse. Is there a thread about threads, as in clothes? I think sartorial splendor could prove a wooly topic.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Ha. Well put.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jolyrogr
Perhaps I'll start a new club thread... Mini owners who dont have the curious need to prove that they are better than other mini owners for some reason.

Motor on.
Ooooh. Ooooh. Can I be the first to join when you do!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Avast!

Originally Posted by Red Dragoon
Well, we could rename this thing Torque-in-Cheek.
Or, TORK-N-CHIC ... a thread that dares to go where no thread has gone before ... so let's get on with it ... and stuff the idea of closing or moving ... we've not yet scratched the tip of the iceberg ...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
My little Mellow yellow wants to Join!! Bean brings with him treasures of COFFEE!

Yum!

COFFEE (okay, well, really he brings boxes of Java Monster Mean Beans!)

Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Tork-N-Chic I love it MCS07MGM

Ah coffee, scribbledpaper, tne motor fuel for humans, though the occasional afternoon tea is quite refined what with the cucumber sandwiches & pastries and all.

Let's keep it quirky and eccentric, like our cars.

So for the fashionable, what does one wear to a MINI rally? I'm going to MTTS Boston at the end of this month.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:26 AM
D-Unit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jolyrogr
Perhaps I'll start a new club thread... Mini owners who dont have the curious need to prove that they are better than other mini owners for some reason.
That would be a very small club...

Old 06-04-2008, 07:49 AM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
I love cucumber sandwiches!! Yum! One more thing that the English do right (of course MINI's are the first and biggest thing done right!)

Tork-N-Chic I love it MCS07MGM

Ah coffee, scribbledpaper, tne motor fuel for humans, though the occasional afternoon tea is quite refined what with the cucumber sandwiches & pastries and all.

Let's keep it quirky and eccentric, like our cars.

So for the fashionable, what does one wear to a MINI rally? I'm going to MTTS Boston at the end of this month.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:36 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomGemini
As everyone sits back and argues about which colour is fastest, Viola, the Pure Silver MC and her driver, motor on past the rest of the lot, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that Pure Silver is the fastest colour because they're too busy motoring to waste time arguing about it. Besides, there's world domination to be plotted here...
As RandomGemini has so succinctly stated, and as I pre-stated in a prior statement, albeit stated differently, there is world domination to attend to. To that end, I propose that we use any money left in the party fund to create stickers that would be properly deposited on non-MINIs stating something to the effect of my car sucks. Perhaps something like 'If I weren't such a boring person, I could drive a MINI.' or any one of a myriad of other possiblities. So let us put forth proposals of World Domination!

Aha! A new direction to not continue progressing in!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
"...create stickers that would be properly deposited on non-MINIs stating something..." --mysticturner

Like: "SMACK! I cudda hadda MINI" ?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mysticturner
I propose that we use any money left in the party fund to create stickers that would be properly deposited on non-MINIs ...
For example ... In my dreams I'm a MINI.

Or ... I wish I were a MINI.

Or ... This car should be a MINI.

Or ... I want to be a MINI.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
A More Noble Goal?

Originally Posted by mysticturner
So let us put forth proposals of World Domination!
Alas, a lesser goal than MINI zeolots must strive for when there's the observable universe, perhaps parallel universes, or even anti-matter universes to consider. Of course, it may well be that World Domination is "A first small step for MINIs, a giant leap for MINI-DOMination." The Air Force Munitions Community has an acronym it fiercely champions as its motto: IYAAYAS ... roughly translated as: If you ain't ammo you ain't squat. In context of a suitable placard or rallying cry, one might propose:

IYCAAMIAS ... if your car ain't a MINI it ain't squat.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Greetings MCS07MGM

Using an Air Force motto for MINIdom fits quite snugly, I should think, what with we motorers always sitting in the cockpits of our rides.

As we have the Bulldog for a mascot, I tender for your consideration, since we're on the subject of flight, the Spitfire as our official plane. Some might not call it the Wright choice, but I believe it to be Vickers spot on.

And least we forget, Chess is our official game, in the wake of the tragedy that befell the backgammon pieces last week.

Motor On

Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
dmc27
1st Gear
Careful with the non-MINI stickers you scallywags. The sargeant-at-arms has already dispensed several floggings, and has acquired a perverse taste for more.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Be It Proclaimed, Spitfire is the Official Plane

I tender for your consideration, since we're on the subject of flight, the Spitfire as our official plane. Some might not call it the Wright choice, but I believe it to be Vickers spot on.
There could be no other fitting choice ... the Spitfire held its own against all adversaries, including jet aircraft in post WW II era ... sleek, powerful, nimble, agile, performance unmatched ... hmmm ... characteristics familiar to those who own a MINI.

One notable quirk about the Spitfire ... its awesome power resulted in an upsetting amount of torque steer on take-off ... had to kick-in considerable rudder to keep it straight down the runway, according to my first Squadron Commander who flew one during the WAR.

Regards to all ...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:59 PM
dmc27
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MCS07MGM
you were warned.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Admonished

Originally Posted by dmc27
you were warned.
Very well, I stand admonished ...

Let us desist in the cyber-space violence or threats thereof ... in any event, it is well known that electrons generated by Alabama Power have a counter-clockwise spin making them immune from attack from those wielding clockwise spin floggers or whatever. See: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html

i*y*c*a^2m*i*a*s

Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Whilst our tough but fair Sergeant-at-Arms doth seem indeed to have glady taken on a most distinct propensity for administering floggings, I submit, for your consideration, an alternative punishment:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/spin.html

I clicked on this link and, woe! Miss Fortune sadistic'ly smiled upon me for at once my head started spinning, the room coaxial'd, and my stomach polaxed. The flitting figures, the dotted arch, flaming arrows, the diabolical mathematical formulae. The horror, the horror...

So faint didst I become, I couldst but crawl to the coffee, weakly lift my morning mug that'd become oh so weightly it wouldst bow the shoulders of Atlas himself, poorly purse my quivering lips, and slackly sip this most sustaining black brew.

I am cured, but reduced to a Shakespearean shadow of my former motoring self...oh parting personalities tis such sweet sorrow!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS07MGM
Very well, I stand admonished ...

Let us desist in the cyber-space violence or threats thereof ... in any event, it is well known that electrons generated by Alabama Power have a counter-clockwise spin making them immune from attack from those wielding clockwise spin floggers or whatever. See:
Man, I wish I'd know that in my younger days. Looking back on it now it explains an awful lot. I remember one time traveling through Alabama and ... well, never mind, that's another story for another time. But I sure wish they had taught me about the Alabama connection when I took Nuclear Physics, or Botony, or whatever it was, the first time around.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
So I'm slightly confused. What is the dumb question of the day? or the latest debate topic? (I hate being away on business trips with no internet!!)

Last edited by x uh oh x; 06-06-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Personal idiodicy
Old 06-06-2008, 07:12 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Good Question ... Contrary to Thread Premise

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
So I'm slightly confused. What is the dumb question of the day? or the latest debate topic? (I hate being away on business trips with no internet!!)
As best as can be determined, there are several concurrent topics ... sometimes with a clear lineage from post to post, some remain disjoint, and still others are odd to say the least.

Lest one be subjected to the wrath of the zealous Sgt@Arms, one might say that nobody is "out in left field" -- notwithstanding some appear to be playing an exceptionally deep shortstop.

The number of potential topics is limitless -- constrained only by decorum, good taste, and the NAM site guidelines. Jump in and contribute to our goals and objectives.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
In an effort to help you partially understand this thread, think of it as sort of a NAM-like attempt to imagine what it might be like to live inside the head of John Malcovich.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Being John Malkovich! Great movie, love the way they land on the Jersey Turnpike after being inside his head.

Cool name for a thread that tends to be out there, sometimes way out there, even though we're motoring the MINIverse to begin with. However, I imagine we'd run into copyright suits by the suits if we named it Being John Malkovich Thread.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Aha.

My post for today, on this wayward and wandering thread, is on the lament of a lack of cohesive party plan for the annual "Celebrate Mini Day" on the second Sunday of June (to whit: tomorrow). It is actually a British tradition (evidently), but the plan to encourage and enact it in the US (at least in the VA vicinity) has not come to fruition this year. Alas and alack.

To this end, i believe this membership ought to include in the by-laws a mandatory day of celebration of the MINIverse. With the intent, of course, to lobby Congress to make it an additional Federal holiday. Perhaps this way, we can all plan a party of great magnitude well in advance.

Speaking of parties, has anyone finally tallied the bar bill for the club? Or figured out where the party funds went??

Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I've heard nothing about Celebrate MINI Day. Actually, your post was the first I'd heard of it. Perhaps tis purely British.

On Sunday we're going down to my brother-in-law's for his birthday. His wife has an '07 MCS all CR. So perhaps we'll have a MINI celebration, in a colonial sort of way of course.

Quick Reply: R56 I have a dumb question