R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 I have a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM
revray
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
My post for today, on this wayward and wandering thread, is on the lament of a lack of cohesive party plan for the annual "Celebrate Mini Day" on the second Sunday of June (to whit: tomorrow). It is actually a British tradition (evidently), but the plan to encourage and enact it in the US (at least in the VA vicinity) has not come to fruition this year. Alas and alack.
You should say "Alas and Alack" ... at the very least! For as it turns out, up here in Connecticut (yes, Yankee-land), we actually have quite a festive celebration planned. It will primarily involve as many MINI's as possible from "East of the River," which is how we refer to Eastern Connecticut (i.e. East of the Connecticut River). We're due to start in New London (appropriate - non?), and from there head up the Thames to Woodstock (named after the town where Churchill's boyhood home was. The plan at this point is to try and drive though every town in Eastern Connecticut which is named after a town in jolly old England. I'm not actually planning the event myself, so I don't know how many towns that is, but it should be fun in any case. There is one other thing planned, but ... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh oh ... it looks like I must have fallen asleep at the computer. I just read what I wrote above and I must have been daydreaming! I have no idea where any of that drivel came from.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bravo revray! You made me a believer, till you woke up. That does sound like a fun event, veddy British. Why not propose it to a dealership in eastern Connecticut, or perhaps the Connecticut MINI Club if there is one?

Motor On, or in this case Dream On,

Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Who plans to go to Boston MTTS?

Greetings all,

Who among the wanderers among the meandering topics in this quirky thread plan to go to Boston MTTS later this month?

I'll be going, and hope to see any of you who attend.

An aside, found the best parking spot ever in Manhattan on Saturday when I came in for the Big Apple Bar-be-que in Madison Square Park. I parked on 25th St a half block west of 7th Ave at a 13-foot curb in between two driveways into a storage company's building. Sweet.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
[quote=revray;2283463]You should say "Alas and Alack" ... at the very least! For as it turns out, up here in Connecticut (yes, Yankee-land), we actually have quite a festive celebration planned. It will primarily involve as many MINI's as possible from "East of the River," which is how we refer to Eastern Connecticut (i.e. East of the Connecticut River). We're due to start in New London (appropriate - non?), and from there head up the Thames to Woodstock (named after the town where Churchill's boyhood home was. The plan at this point is to try and drive though every town in Eastern Connecticut which is named after a town in jolly old England. I'm not actually planning the event myself, so I don't know how many towns that is, but it should be fun in any case. There is one other thing planned, but ... ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm quote]

Grrrumble, grrrrrumble.... Now I'm SO jealous! Hmm... Methinks I need to do something about this oversight. I will immediately start the machinations for event planning for next year......(Ok, maybe after I do some actual WORK today...)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 PM
ChiliBomb
2nd Gear
We'll be at MTTS-Boston!

I have read every post on this thread-l love it!!!! We'll be going to MTTS Boston- we'll look for your mini Red Dragoon at F1 Boston Fri night- looking forward to racing those Go-Karts!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Can't wait to meet you ChiliBomb
Also, I replied to your MTTS thread in the Events section.
Counting the days ...
CROC 411

Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
ChiliBomb
2nd Gear
Got that Events reply thanks! See You There!!!!!-- mabey you should set up a MINI chess tournamet - ONLY, we'll all use our cars on a giant Checkered parking lot!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Jolyrogr
3rd Gear
Tis I. Your fearless leader. I've been away for a few days driving my car and I've come to the conclusion that I love it. So fun to drive. I'm working on getting some pics that are worth posting. Just wanted to say hi.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
"you should set up a MINI chess tournamet" -- ChiliBomb

Well, I was thinking chessmen or perhaps checkers to set up on my checkerboard (what with the mirrors would be a 3-D game) ...

But MINI pieces on a big board. Now that would be sublime. As only the MINI can execute an L move like the Knights in chess, would be a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Cool to hear from you, Fearless Leader Jolyrogr. Can't wait to see pix of your sweet ride.

CROC 411

Old 06-14-2008, 05:49 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Slightly Dumb Inquiry

Returning to the roots or routes of this thread ...

There is rampant debate among the hallowed halls of our finest colleges and universities regarding their contributions to the betterment of society. One hotly contested issue is the invention of the lowly toothbrush. According to some researchers, the honor belongs to the University of Texas; other equally learned scholars say the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) deserves the credit.

The overwhelming body of statistical analysis reveals the University of Texas invented the toothbrush ... otherwise it would be called a teethbrush.

Is there an alternate opinion or significant evidence to refute this claim?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:00 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Which Homophone Should be Used?

Originally Posted by MCS07MGM
Homophones abound on internet sites, including this one. Sadly, few seem to appreciate the utility of having a handy list to inject one or more at random. Submitted for your convenience is a list of more commonly used homophones:

accept......except
aid...........aide
all............awl.........oil
bare.........bear
band........banned
boar.........bore
brake........break
ensure.......insure
ewe..........yew........you
far............fire
for............fore........four
hair...........hare
hear..........here
it’s............its
knot..........naught........not
knows........nose
loaner........loner
medal........meddle........metal........mettle
missed.......mist
pedal........ peddle........ petal
role...........roll
root..........route
rout..........route
their..........there
to.............too........two
vain..........vane........vein
wait..........weight
war...........wore
weather.....whether
ya’ll..........yawl

Indicates additions to the original listing.

Perhaps our Sgt@Arms will sea to it that proper usage is observed reporting sirius infractions to appropriate authority

Note: Keen eyed persons will observe some list items are in blue bold font, indicating additions made for those with a southern drawl.

Last edited by MCS07MGM; 06-19-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add to the cumulative list
Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
MCS07MGM,

Your logic is flawless on the toothbrush controversy, and thank you for finally brushing off that biting debate.

And supplying this thread with homophones is, in showing such mettle, lingual service above and beyond the call of duty, for which you are duly awarded a metal medal.

CROC 411

Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
Need Help on YADQ ...

Originally Posted by Red Dragoon
... duly awarded a metal medal.
Dually excepted ... was wondering where folks were ... this thread was a ton of fun for a couple of weeks then things slowly eased away ...

Surely there are more YADQ and associated topics to hammer to within a few atoms of thickness ... of course, there's the S v justa, or mpg {auto} v mpg {manual} ... et al ... ad nauseaum ...

Let the YADQs be loosed!!!

p.s. If you know Unix and YACC, then you know YADQ

Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 AM
revray
4th Gear

There is rampant debate among the hallowed halls of our finest colleges and universities regarding their contributions to the betterment of society. One hotly contested issue is the invention of the lowly toothbrush. According to some researchers, the honor belongs to the University of Texas; other equally learned scholars say the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) deserves the credit.

The overwhelming body of statistical analysis reveals the University of Texas invented the toothbrush ... otherwise it would be called a teethbrush.

Is there an alternate opinion or significant evidence to refute this claim?
It sure wasn't the British.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 AM
revray
4th Gear
Homophones abound on internet sites, including this one. Sadly, few seem to appreciate the utility of having a handy list to inject one or more at random. Submitted for your convenience is a list of more commonly used homophones:
May I add some of my own suggestions ...?

Yea .......... Yeh .............. Yeah (as preferred by the Rascals)

role...........roll
To which I would add ...

roll (as in not a donut) ............ roll (as in flip sides) ............ roll (as in the partner of "rock") .............. roll (as in "remonstrate out loud languidly")

and ... rolle (which simply means "role" in Swedish)

P.S. I hope this gets us appropraitely back on topic.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I love it. Someone other than ME knows a.) WHAT a homophone is (no, it's not a gay person's cell phone you bone-head), b.) how to SPELL homophone, and c.) has actually pondered the homophonism of today. NOW I remember why I joined this club! (Which reminds me...did we ever come up with an appropriate [usable] acronym for us?)

My addition to this discussion is a lament and comment: I would suggest that homophones (and their derivatives) have aided in the deplorable spelling abilities of the modern society. I say aided, because text-messaging "shorthand" (which, when quizzed, most people don't even know what short hand really is!) is another big contributor.

accept.......except
aid.........aide
you...........ewe........yew

Sorry, no YDAQs here....

Last edited by x uh oh x; 06-15-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
(Which reminds me...did we ever come up with an appropriate [usable] acronym for us?) -- x uh oh x

I offer

MADD -- MINI Association of Droll Debaters

but methinks this should be thoroughly debated.

CROC 411

Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Ah, well, to second that debate - techncially, all MINI-ists could be considered "mad," to use the real English vernacular, so that acronym seems to...UNunique.

I proffer: MAPPSDOWN - MINI Association of Piratical Profferings and Silly Debates by OWNers.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Acronym for the thread "I have a dumb question"

MAPPSDOWN - MINI Association of Piratical Profferings and Silly Debates by OWNers -- x uh oh x

That is perfect

Has a nice loony touch of Monty Python to it. My compliments!

CROC 411

Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 PM
revray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Red Dragoon
(Which reminds me...did we ever come up with an appropriate [usable] acronym for us?) -- x uh oh x

but methinks this should be thoroughly debated.
Yes, it should be thoroughly debated ... therefore, I suggest ...

MINIS-DISCUSS = Mad - Inane - Non Sequitorian - Intelligent - Souls - DISCUSS .......... whatever

_

Old 06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
See also Grammar Police Thread ...

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Sorry, no YDAQs here....
If you want to explore further, see Grammar Police right here on NAM ... link points to last post ... start at first post when you have an hour or more of idol time to spend; otherwise, enjoy during idle moments ...

let the YADQs give birth to nautical berths ... this can get silly.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
let the YSDQs give bith to nautical berths...this can get silly -- MCS07MGM

Unless we flush 'em down the sink before they throw us outta sync ...

CROC 411

Old 06-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Our acronym offerings so far :

MAPPSDOWN - MINI Association of Piratical Profferings and Silly Debates by OWNers -- x uh oh x

MINIS-DISCUSS = Mad - Inane - Non Sequitorian - Intelligent - Souls - DISCUSS .......... whatever -- revray

MADD - MINI Association of Droll Debaters -- Red Dragoon

DUMB - Debaters Under the MINI Bonnet -- Red Dragoon

More acronyms welcome, so that the Great Debate can begin ad inifinitum.

Last edited by Red Dragoon; 06-15-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Emboldened some acronyms
Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 PM
MCS07MGM
2nd Gear
In What Gear Does Your Doppler Shift?

My 2007 PW R56 six speed exhibits a pronounced doppler shift in third gear, generally around 3725 rpm. Does your doppler shift depend upon:
  • build year (07 v 08)?
  • generation (R53 v. R56)?
  • boost technique (turbo v. supercharger)?
  • gearbox (manual v. automatic)?
  • color (CR v. OB)?
  • tires (runflats v. traditional radials)?
  • acquisition (order built v. off-the-lot)?
  • other factors ??
Reference

Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
My 2007 PW R56 six speed exhibits a pronounced doppler shift in third gear, generally around 3725 rpm. Does your doppler shift depend upon:
  • build year (07 v 08)?
  • generation (R53 v. R56)?
  • boost technique (turbo v. supercharger)?
  • gearbox (manual v. automatic)?
  • color (CR v. OB)?
  • tires (runflats v. traditional radials)?
  • acquisition (order built v. off-the-lot)?
  • other factors ??
Reference
I believe mine - a lovely '07 BRG manual MCS turbo - exhibits it's doppler shift depending on color and bonnet stripes, as well as "other factors." Specifically: terrain; operator's level and urgency of "VAROOOM" at the time; and lastly, proximity of anti-speeding patrols (cops.) Since installing the boot stripes, the level of VAROOM has increased significantly.

Quick Reply: R56 I have a dumb question