R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MPG on a MINI Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, the optimistic speedometer has something to do with European rules.
PS: I'm going to try for 700 miles on a tank tomorrow. I'm at 670 or so now. It'll be dicey.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raikkonen
Hi I have a 2007 Mini Non S Manual BRG with sports package just over 1,900 miles and have driven it easy a little coasting keeping the RPM's down and currently the OBC indicates 38.8 since new. Last few fill ups calculated 39.6 and 40.3 running 93 octane. Best mileage seems to be on country back roads about 40-45MPH in 5th gear. Mileage does seem to be lower at 65+MPH, most likely more drag.
Recent hwy trip, cruise control at 65mph (actual, not indicated), a/c on got me 44mpg calculated (not OBC indication). Move up to 75mph and mileage drops to about 39.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
P.S. to my previous post: My portable GPS showed 76.5 when my speedometer showed 80, steadily. This could have the effect of slightly inflating the mpg, if my thinking is correct. Anyone else ever check their actual speed vs indicated. Maybe it's my 16-in wheels?
I've run a measured course against a stopwatch and found that 70mpg indicated is actually 66mph. 15inch standard wheels.

Also, my GPS squares with the measurement, not the speedometer.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I don't know how you guys are hitting such high numbers......do you guys go above 55 on the highway?

I had just filled up my tank and had a week where I had a lot of highway driving to do so I decided to do a "test" and tried to keep it at 55 while on the highway. (that was HARD to do! ) I ended up averaging over 40 mpg (that was with the combination city driving) and drove nearly 500 miles on the tank alone!! As fantastic as that would be to maintain, going 55 put a crimp in my style...not to mention it pissed off a lot of Chicago drivers!!

With normal driving (city and going about 70+ on the highway), I'm getting about 34mpg and this is only with 1500 miles on the car so far!!

Overall, these numbers are music to my ears considering I'm getting double as I did with my Grand Am and saving myself about $100 a month in gas!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks to Leicaguy for informing me that wheels keep a constant diameter and to Velvetfoot that the speedo may be designed to show a bit of inflation. Best if I forget the inflated speedo in actual practice
Looks like we are consistent on our mileage reports, though anyone reporting needs to say S or non S, auto or manual, since they should be different groups. Actually, I see by the EPA page link provided here that the Cooper S manual = the Cooper automatic in mpg. The regular MINI manual is the champ. I need to read over these testimonials and see if how many high mpg's were of this breed.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jaxsngrl
I had just filled up my tank and had a week where I had a lot of highway driving to do so I decided to do a "test" and tried to keep it at 55 while on the highway. (that was HARD to do! ) I ended up averaging over 40 mpg (that was with the combination city driving) and drove nearly 500 miles on the tank alone!! As fantastic as that would be to maintain, going 55 put a crimp in my style...not to mention it pissed off a lot of Chicago drivers!!

With normal driving (city and going about 70+ on the highway), I'm getting about 34mpg and this is only with 1500 miles on the car so far!!

Overall, these numbers are music to my ears considering I'm getting double as I did with my Grand Am and saving myself about $100 a month in gas!!!!
Mine is a non-S, automatic.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Since there happens to be a Cooper 'S' mpg thread as well, this thread is likely for non-S versions.

Great advantage with Turbo is that you have half again or more power available when you want to pay for it, but nearly equal economy if you are careful.

First (and only) mod added to my Turbo LeBaron was a MP Gauge (boost meter) and mileage could vary from 16-33mpg depending on which side of the '0' the needle was allowed. You will see MCS's reporting from 17-45+ mpg for the same reason.

No doubt that you do lose efficiency with automatic's but the varience will depend far more on driving 'style', than it will on stick/auto or Turbo/NA.

Perhaps an Oil Company could recover some of their reputation if they were to start sponsering these; Mobil Economy Run again.

Here's a story about some Serious Hypermilers Over 100mpg
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

edit:- For me; Over a month and I am still using the FREE Tankful that came with my Cooper, wouldn't be meaningful anyway,
because for Brake-In of the engine, you are restricted from any "over 4500 RPM" or (Automatic) 'kick-down',
However to properly Seat The Rings (and ensure future economy) you must use non-economical High BMEP's quite often.

(Which the Agitronic Transmission allows by using Manual Mode and 'feel' of the kick-down switch.)

Last edited by pilotart; 06-02-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
chrisj102
1st Gear
Wow, I'm glad everybody is getting great gas mileage, but I don't understand why I'm only getting 24.5 mpg. I live in Houston, and my job is about 5 miles away, and its all stop and go. I hardly ever leave the inner city. Could that be my problem. I plan on taking a trip to Austin soon, so I will see if that improves my mpg.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Made it.
Driving around with those four little bars is more than a little nerve wracking.

Fuel Type: Citgo Premium
Quantity: 14.255 gal US
Odometer: 5938 miles
Trip OD: 705.2
Actual Econ: 49.47 mpg
OBC Econ: 51.2 mpg

Most driving was on two lane roads, rolling hills.
Some highway, 100 miles?, but can't quantify.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisj102
my job is about 5 miles away
Yes, see if you do better on your trip. Fuel economy isn't great until the engine reaches operating temps and it's barely had time to do that in a short commute.

Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
Made it.
Nice!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Lyme
2nd Gear
I have an 07 MC with auto trans, 15" wheels. After 11,000 miles of mixed driving I am averaging 37.191997 mpg. I am not heavy footed. I have been driving very conservatively of late in an effort to give the oil companies as little of my money as possible. On the highway I drive between 65 and 70. I get passed by most including the huge pick ups and SUV's gulping gas at 10-12 mpg.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
BMWBOY, from what I've seen so far on the boards, that looks like pretty good mpgs from an automatic. I bet it's more tricky going for high mpgs on an automatic compared to a manual. I wouldn't know where to start except to use a velvet foot . I thought I've read that coasting in neutral in an auto is not good for the transmission.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
DanF
5th Gear
Made it.
Driving around with those four little bars is more than a little nerve wracking.

Fuel Type: Citgo Premium
Quantity: 14.255 gal US
Odometer: 5938 miles
Trip OD: 705.2
Actual Econ: 49.47 mpg
OBC Econ: 51.2 mpg

Most driving was on two lane roads, rolling hills.
Some highway, 100 miles?, but can't quantify.
That is phenominal mileage. I will never attain that. You shouldn't take the risk of running out of gas though, it's not worth it. I usually drive 60 to 70 on the highway, it depends on what the other traffic is driving at. I think the biggest thing that helps mileage is keeping the tire pressure up to 37 psi. I didn't buy this car for gas mileage, I bought it for fun. Gas mileage is just an added benefit. I usually average around 40 mpg but there is not a single fill up that goes by that I am not revving it to at least 5k some of the time. If I am getting on the highway with nobody in front of me I am going take advantage of that.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:08 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I had a can of gas with me before it got down to the bars.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Stu
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a can of gas with me before it got down to the bars.
But what about the extra weight?!!

Sometimes I have to blow the mpg for safety's sake - crawling out of of junctions or passing a truck on the highway at 0.5 mph difference just can't be done all the time.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Now y'all need to tell me if I'm nuts or not when I say that I think the tank of Exxon fuel I'm on right now is giving me a lower mpg than Chevron or Shell. With Shell and Chevron I could swear I'm getting 1.5mpg more. I realize that could be accounted for by driving manner, but I have been very careful to try to do all things the same.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? If not, perhaps I am not controlling the human variable as well as I thought. I don't want to believe that since I have always taken pride in being a maintenance test pilot for various aircraft. Maintenance flying demands a minimization of pilot-induced variation. But, who knows?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
I think so too.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 AM
Stu
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Now y'all need to tell me if I'm nuts or not when I say that I think the tank of Exxon fuel I'm on right now is giving me a lower mpg than Chevron or Shell. With Shell and Chevron I could swear I'm getting 1.5mpg more. I realize that could be accounted for by driving manner, but I have been very careful to try to do all things the same.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? If not, perhaps I am not controlling the human variable as well as I thought. I don't want to believe that since I have always taken pride in being a maintenance test pilot for various aircraft. Maintenance flying demands a minimization of pilot-induced variation. But, who knows?
There's a good chance. When I was at Lotus HQ last Decemeber, the drivers there said to be a good test driver you don't have to be quick, but you have to be consistant (they were both as it turned out!)

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM
AaronOwens
Neutral
My '07 MC manual with 10k miles has consistently averaged 42-44mpg every tank. Latest tank was 44.8mpg. My commute is about 60/40 hwy/city driving.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronOwens
My '07 MC manual with 10k miles
Welcome to NAM!!! I get similar results...have about the same miles on my '07, too.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
AaronOwens
Neutral
Thanks. Great message board.

My style is just to throw it in neutral anytime I see a red light or other need to stop or when going down hills.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am about to turn over 10000 miles.
OBC AVG MPG = 42.3MPG
OBC AVG MPH = 47.2MPH
Hand calculated MPG = 39.7MPG
I have a conservative driving style. Very little 'city' stop and go driving. Almost all my driving is at relatively constant speed on rural roads which is probably an ideal situation for getting good fuel economy. Most driving at 6000+ feet. Using mostly 91 octane Philips 66 gasoline.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Arthuralda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
A lot depends on driving style and the MINI model you want, so when you read reported mpg numbers, look between the lines to chart that model and driving style info. That said, here's the deal...MINIs do great on mpg. The best of the best is the R56 manual Cooper....it can get 37-38 mpg pretty easily in mixed driving, and when driven for economy can exceed 40 mpg in mixed driving. The best I've gotten (others have, too) so far was 42 mpg city and 46 highway. Now, the only reason I mention these numbers (which I admit seem fantastic) is that MINIs can be heavy hitters in the mpg department and not everyone realizes this as the reported EPA #s are lower than that. People think of Toyotas and Hondas...but MINI's are actually quite superb if not better!!!!! Add to this it is also an utterly fantastic motor car to drive!!!

So.....is your Dad really into this mpg thing? If he can drive sanely, he can do quite well in a manual Cooper. If you add an auto tranny on a Cooper, mpg will drop some. If you go with an MCS, it will drop more, and with an MCS automatic, still more. That said, driving style makes a huge difference, and folks who drive all these are still getting mpg # that are quite good!!!!
This guys got it right. I get 38 to 40 consistently with my Clubman. The best I've done is 45 ( too much work and a lot of coasting ). The worst I've done is 35 ( a different kind of fun ). I think I could get it down to 30 if I worked real hard at it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM
jaxsngrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia

My husband has a Nissan Sentra Spec V and notices that different brands of fuel makes his car perform differently (different MPG being one of them). I've only filled up my tank 3 times so far and have always used BP. (we have a BP station near us that always has the lowest gas prices around)

Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
I went from north Jersey to Rhode Island Friday night, about 205 miles. There was no traffic and I mostly did 70-75 mph though let her go at 80+ for a while now and again. Hit 90 too. I had two passengers. Made two rest stops. Twas highway driving all the way.

Normally, it takes a third of a tank of gas one-way to Providence, three hash marks on the fuel gauge. But Friday night I expended only 1/5 tank (two hash marks). Before I set out I topped off with, for the first time, Shell premium, 2/5s worth.

The return trip Sunday night, likewise traffic free, took the usual third of a tank. Next time I do an out of state trip I'll fill her with Shell again and see what happens. Perhaps Friday was a fluke.

Quick Reply: R56 MPG on a MINI Cooper