R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MPG on a MINI Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM
bigmoe19
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG on a MINI Cooper

What is the mpg on a mini cooper highway and city? My dad is looking for a new car and is looking for one that has a good mpg because of the gas prices. I am the one who research things.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:23 PM
NashvilleMiniStan
5th Gear
I have an 07 MCS with 3k miles and getting about 30mpg. I enjoy driving it.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bigmoe19
What is the mpg on a mini cooper highway and city? My dad is looking for a new car and is looking for one that has a good mpg because of the gas prices. I am the one who research things.
highway:

Mixed city/country roads: 35-37 mpg

Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot depends on driving style and the MINI model you want, so when you read reported mpg numbers, look between the lines to chart that model and driving style info. That said, here's the deal...MINIs do great on mpg. The best of the best is the R56 manual Cooper....it can get 37-38 mpg pretty easily in mixed driving, and when driven for economy can exceed 40 mpg in mixed driving. The best I've gotten (others have, too) so far was 42 mpg city and 46 highway. Now, the only reason I mention these numbers (which I admit seem fantastic) is that MINIs can be heavy hitters in the mpg department and not everyone realizes this as the reported EPA #s are lower than that. People think of Toyotas and Hondas...but MINI's are actually quite superb if not better!!!!! Add to this it is also an utterly fantastic motor car to drive!!!

So.....is your Dad really into this mpg thing? If he can drive sanely, he can do quite well in a manual Cooper. If you add an auto tranny on a Cooper, mpg will drop some. If you go with an MCS, it will drop more, and with an MCS automatic, still more. That said, driving style makes a huge difference, and folks who drive all these are still getting mpg # that are quite good!!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 02:23 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been driving a loaner '07 S for the last 3 weeks and have been getting between 40 and 42mpg as long as I was easy on the pedal. Yes, that is with the turbo.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
recent MPG listing

A recent "best MPG list" of the top 5 were

Toyota Pri'
Honda's hybrid
SMART
MINI
Toy' Yaris

as best as I can recall...but I remember it cuz right after reading it I cancelled my order for a SMART. It was little better than a MINI in any form....

I get about 30 around town with my 07-s and push 40 mpg out on the highway

'course, I get high 30's on the '79 too!!!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM
shokk
7th Gear
I got my Cooper back Sept 07 and have consistently seen an average of 35mpg. When I reset the counter before getting on the highway I can see 40mpg.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I just filled up my car this morning and for 380 miles it took 9.4 gallons to fill it. This included around 140 highway miles at around 65 mph, 100 city miles and 140 country miles. I have the manual cooper and usually keep my tires at around 37 to 38 psi rather than the recommended 32 psi.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:52 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A good source for ratings on every car: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
My experience with my MINI Clubman (base, manual), shared by many others on this forum, is that you can easily meet or beat the EPA numbers, even with some spirited driving. Unless your dad has a lead foot, 35+ MPG would be a very conservative average estimate.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:13 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For good gas mileage, without having to worry about replacing a battery pack in a car in a few years, MPG doesn't get better than a MINI Cooper. I'm averaging 28.9 mpg city right now. I just finished doing the same research that you're doing now and bought a MINI last week. This is what I ended up with:

Look to the Civic to be a fun to drive car that will be reliable for your dad and still get 26 mpg city (according to Honda, and I'm sure there are some out there that get better). The Civic was the most fun of any car I test drove, next to the MINI. I've also never met a pushy salesman on a single Honda lot. The salesman knew I was interested in a MINI and he wasn't getting a sale that day, but he still took me out and talked to me enthusiastically and honestly about both cars.

I drove the Scion tC. It handles like a Corolla with more acceleration. Similar gas mileage to the non-hybrid civic. The sport edition is pretty swanky with those suede seats. I decided to skip this one because I've driven Corollas for 13 years so for me, they're vanilla. I had to track a salesman down after two visits to the lot to get a test drive.

I also test drove the Subaru Impreza. Worst gas mileage of all the cars I test drove, but you sacrifice good gas mileage to gain All Wheel Drive, which is tempting when the roads up here turn to absolute crap for five months each winter. Also, it is a Subaru, which means it will do what Subarus do best: Last for friggin' ever. There are lots of 20 year old, crappy looking Subarus on the road for a reason. They don't die. You drive it until the wheels fall off. If your road conditions turn to crap every winter, I'd definitely look into the Impreza.

I decided on the MINI, because what I was looking for in a car this time was not only great gas mileage. I was also sick of driving the "Mom-mobile". I wanted something that was more fun to drive. I wanted it to make me smile whenever I got behind the wheel and I wanted it to make me love driving again. I've also read some posts from a couple folks on this board that drive them in the winter and winter driving doesn't seem to be too shoddy.

The new MINI hasn't been in production for very long, so reliability is sort of a hit or miss equation because it's hard to get good numbers on a line of cars that is less than a decade old. Still, I've seen more good than bad when it comes to reliability and that was good enough for me. There's also a thread on this board for people who have crossed 100k miles in these cars and are still going. Furthermore, I believe that with proper maintenance any car made within the last ten years will last you for as long you want it to.

If you do decide to recommend a MINI to your dad, go with him and test drive one, you won't regret it.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:14 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, that was a totally massive post. I'm so sorry! It didn't seem that long when I was writing it!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:31 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Best tank so far in 5k miles has been 48 actual. I think something like 640 miles. Goal is 700 miles on a tank.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Stu
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Picked up our new one today. Done almost 200 miles, and we are at almost 36mpg. Pretty darn good for a brand new car.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VelvetFoot
Best tank so far in 5k miles has been 48 actual. I think something like 640 miles. Goal is 700 miles on a tank.
I don't know how you guys are hitting such high numbers......do you guys go above 55 on the highway?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
48 MPG!!!!! That's a very good number for a Prius!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
I don't know how you guys are hitting such high numbers
There's a few folks around here who could teach lessons....VelvetFoot is one of them!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 PM
shokk
7th Gear
I regularly hit 80+ - the only way to keep up with the flow of traffic on the NJ Turnpike and Rt78. Just make sure you're in the right gear for best fuel economy. I find myself cruising right into 6th gear shortly after getting on the highway and seeing really nice mpg on the onboard computer.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I bet if the Cooper was geared higher in 6th one could get better mileage going fast.

I think if I was driving that Prius I could do better.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:39 AM
DanF
5th Gear
I bet if the Cooper was geared higher in 6th one could get better mileage going fast.

I think if I was driving that Prius I could do better.
I think the gearing on the cooper is perfect. With an axel ratio of 4:35, 4th 5th and 6th gears are all overdrive. This ratio allows good acceleration yet good economy. I have found even when cruising around 40 mph on a back road shifting up a gear does not improve mpg. The killer on the highway (if you want to call it that) is not having a higher ratio but too much drag. If you drive much over 75 mph you are not going to get over 40 mpg.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Raikkonen
1st Gear
Hi I have a 2007 Mini Non S Manual BRG with sports package just over 1,900 miles and have driven it easy a little coasting keeping the RPM's down and currently the OBC indicates 38.8 since new. Last few fill ups calculated 39.6 and 40.3 running 93 octane. Best mileage seems to be on country back roads about 40-45MPH in 5th gear. Mileage does seem to be lower at 65+MPH, most likely more drag.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:39 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm just back from a 3000 mile trip to D.C., Cape Cod, the Mass. coast, and home via Niagara Falls. The car is the Clubman automatic. My OBC showed 34.6 overall, and several measures confirmed the ballpark figure. I was driving 70 to 80 much of the time, and spent days in DC traffic. Also, lots of country back roads. Two people, loaded car, no roof rack etc. Every fill up was about $50 of course, but so much fun driving the MINI!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
cadent48
1st Gear
I have a Cooper S Coupe Automatic. I drive mostly freeway and drive it pretty fast. No real hard accelerations, but I keep it between 75 - 85 mph. I average 31 mpg.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
P.S. to my previous post: My portable GPS showed 76.5 when my speedometer showed 80, steadily. This could have the effect of slightly inflating the mpg, if my thinking is correct. Anyone else ever check their actual speed vs indicated. Maybe it's my 16-in wheels?

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
P.S. to my previous post: My portable GPS showed 76.5 when my speedometer showed 80, steadily. This could have the effect of slightly inflating the mpg, if my thinking is correct. Anyone else ever check their actual speed vs indicated. Maybe it's my 16-in wheels?
The total circumference should be the same no matter what the wheel size. Larger wheels have lower profile tires. My speedo reads slightly faster than actual speed BUT it seems to be the displayed speed only not the odometer. If i check my odometer or trip meter against the mile markers on the interstate it is dead on, mile for mile.

Quick Reply: R56 MPG on a MINI Cooper