R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My new Cooper!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new Cooper!

Based on so many great reviews on this site, I just ordered an S model with the following options and configuration on Friday:

British racing green
Black roof and mirrors
Black stripes
Leatherette in black
Premium package
S-Winders
All season tires
DSC
Cold weather package

I passed on the Bi-xenon's, but will be adding Hella Optilux Xenon yellows to both the Headlamps and driving lamps after I take delivery.

How long does the deleivery normally take?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Congrats!!!

Sounds like another beautiful Mini will be on your local roads soon.

Mine took about 5 weeks from order day to delivery.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:54 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
Thanks man

Red or chili pepper red were my next choices. What options did you pick?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Congrats and nice choice.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eburr
Red or chili pepper red were my next choices. What options did you pick?
2007 MCS, Chili Red w/white roof/mirrors/and stripes on hood, Prem. and Sport pkgs, 17" wed spoke rims, chome line interior, rooster red color line, hi-fi sterio, driving lights, white out pkg for lights (no egg yoke).

I wish I would've ordered the rear fog lights. This option would've filled my toggle panel and made it complete.

Also ordered it with the leatherette type seats. I hate leather (sorry all you leather lovers). The cloth seats didn't look like they would hold up very well. The leatherette is easy care and hold up so much better. YES, I do know what I'm talking about on this issue. It's a BIG part of our business!!! We repair more leather and cloth seats than I care to discuss for more reasons than anyone could give me.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 AM
gjhsu
5th Gear
Congrats on the order! Should be a fun car.

My car took 8 weeks to deliver (well, 7 weeks, with a 1 week snafu). BRG is a really classy color!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
Nice set up. Would have gone with the bright lights, but it is your ride.

Now the hard part. Hope the wait aint long

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
Options

Forgot to mention, also went with a manual tranny, chrome line interior, multi-function wheel and rubber mats all around and in the boot. I am considering another set of driving lights afterwards as well.

Anyone here try the Hella optilux h13 xenons in yellow?

This is pretty funny really. I am 50, and this is the first new car I have actually bought (although I had several new "company cars",,,so bland they hardly are worth mentioning).

After driving a Mini-s on our test track (I work for Manheim Auto Auctions), I just couldn't resist.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Add the rear fog lights--I didn't and wish I had. It's the only thing I would change, in fact, after 20,000+ miles. I specifically DIDN'T order them because we don't get fog here--BUT I didn't think about heavy rain, which we do get.

Besides, it looks a lot better and it's cheap. You can usually add stuff until the car goes into production---several days, probably.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM
zonedguy
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How long does the deleivery normally take?
Depends on your dealer and their production slots. It looks like you are going to be coming through NYC if you are going to Manheim, PA. I'm currently in production from an order I placed on 5/10, expecting delivery about the 3rd week of June (wont know until Friday what boat it makes it on). If your dealer has production slots and are willing to swap your build in for one of theirs, you may start production much faster.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
DChap
5th Gear
enjoy it when you get it.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
Thanks all

Just for fun, I rented a cooper convertible while traveling in Boston yesterday. Not an s, and it has an automatic, but I dig the suspension. I am kind of glad I didn't get this combo though. While zippy enough for town, it doesn't have kick-in-the pants like an S, and the trunk seems almost non-existant. Also, no rear visibility when top is up. This vehicle also has the premium harmon Kardon system, which seems insufficient for this car. Will I need a power amp and better speakers, since i am going with the premium package? The stock stereo seems kind of weak.

Last edited by eburr; 06-04-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Just for fun, I rented a cooper comvertible while traveling in Boston yesterday. Not an s, and it has an automatic, but I dig the suspension. I am kind of glad I didn't get this combo though. While zippy enough for town, it doesn't have a seat-in-the pants kick like an S, and the trunk seems almost non-existant. Also, no rear visibility when top is up. This vehicle also has the premium hardon hardon system, which seems insufficient for this car. Will I need a power amp and better speakers, since i am going with the premium package? The stock stereo seems kind of weak.
Keep in mind, though, that the convertible is NOT the R56 model you bought. The convertibles haven't made the change yet.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
Ohhh another BRG with Black. I haven't seen a lot of this combo so far, mostly BRG and white combo.

Congrats on the new car....it is my first new car too!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
Rental covertible from hertz in Boston

This was a fun car to drive, but no "bullet" like the S by a long shot. Leatherette was a little sweaty too. I also noticed a significant lag in throttle response. In addition, the lack of trunk space made this car a little ridiculous for two grown men on a business trip. The suspension felt great though, and it certainly handled well at higher speeds and in corners. My buddy called it "amazing", although he also felt a little put-out when we were laughed at by truckers and soccer Moms in their Volvo wagons and SUV's.

The speedo, however, had to be whacked out. It showed that we were doing 80 MPH on the Ma turnpike, and I was getting passed a lot! That just doesn't make sense. We estimated that the guage was off as much as 20 mph. I will be certain to test my new one on delivery using my hand-held gps, as I have heard that others have suffered witg bad speedometers.

This experience made me glad that I didn't order a Conv., and I am now having a twinge of buyer's remorse (sorry) for selecting a car this small.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What color was that Boston Cabrio Rental?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
eburr
2nd Gear
What color

Chili pepper red (dark red) I think. 2/2007 production date. Small ding in right front fender.

As I stated before, it almost convinced me to cxl my order and get a Camry Hybrid instead, although that would cost another 7K. Good suspension, but not enough immediate pick up though, bad visibility out the back with the top up, and not enough room in the boot. It was a little embarassing to haul a co-worker around for a couple of days in it. I also didn't care for the automatic, even when shifted manually. Just too slugish, especially after driving a 6 sp S model.

I do love these cars, but not this package.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have often based an auto purchase on liking a particular model as a rental;
glad I never rented a MINI, at least not one like you had

Cooper Convertibles will be a lot more like the 'S' you have coming;
with their 2009 models, expected in the US by next February.

The current Non 'S' Cabrio's not only have different engines,
but have different transmissions (five speed manual
or that Continously Variable "CVT" Automatic) as well.

The reason I asked about color, is that it seems like some cars appear larger in some hues.

When she chose a somewhat rare (special order) for a Camry shade of blue
were surprised that it appeared 'larger' than any of the other Camry's
in their endless variety of shades of gray.

Your choice of BRG/B should give you one very classy looking Cooper'S' that will feel a lot different than that rental.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM
joenzy
2nd Gear
Nice set up eburr. I'm getting ready to place an order soon.
I'm going with the classic BRG/white.
The rear fogs seem like a good idea and I like the look of the all white taillights. Still on the fence about the xenons.

I've been told between a 4 to 6 week build time, keep us
posted on your delivery time.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
The rear fogs do make sense, but what is the cost to add them? Also, we don't really get fog where I live, and am wondering about the overall value relative to the price of these things.

What I really want to know is where I can get the best aftermarket driving lights (grille mount) for the best price. The dealer price for the stock ones seems a bit outrageous.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Don't know what it is now, but when I got mine it was only $100. A real goof on my part not to get them. It's a WHOLE lot more expensive to buy and install them after delivery.

And don't forget, even if you don't get fog, you might have rain. Lots of people use them (probably illegally) to make trucks and Stupid Useless Vehicles back off when they're tailgating, too.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
"Stupid Useless Vehicles" --daffodildeb

I love your turn of phrase. I call 'em "Stupid Ugly Vehicles" which probably has something to do with it.

Motor On,
CROC member no. 411

Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Chili pepper red (dark red) I think. 2/2007 production date. Small ding in right front fender.

As I stated before, it almost convinced me to cxl my order and get a Camry Hybrid instead, although that would cost another 7K. Good suspension, but not enough immediate pick up though, bad visibility out the back with the top up, and not enough room in the boot. It was a little embarassing to haul a co-worker around for a couple of days in it. I also didn't care for the automatic, even when shifted manually. Just too slugish, especially after driving a 6 sp S model.

I do love these cars, but not this package.
That's the problem with driving an automatic Cooper. I know I'll probably get flamed by someone who likes theirs, but they just don't have enough pickup for me. When I get one as a loaner, I spin my tires when I get my MSC manual back! Besides being slow, it seems like the rpms never fit what you need. This is for freeway driving, at any rate.

I was very careful to have my husband drive the manual S first, and then put him in an automatic Cooper. Guess what he liked?

My daughter has an automatic Cooper convertible, though. She drives with hand controls (she is paralyzed from the waist down), and doesn't have a bit of trouble, even when backing up. I don't know how she does it! (She even autocrosses hers, too!)

Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations eburr!

Nicely configured MINI you got there.

Don't forget to post those pics when you take delivery.

Enjoy & Motor On!