R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Clear bra and stripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear bra and stripes

I am trying to get some feedback on how your stripes are installed along with the clear bra. There are several options out there and I would like to know what people have done and how it looks. I went to have my clear bra installed and the installer told me that since I was going to put on stripes, that the stripes needed to go first and he would simply lay the bra on top of the stripes. Now, I have also been advised by others to put the bra on first and then add the stripes to the top of the bra. The third option is to have the bra cut around the stripes so that there isn't a ridge. What works??

Option 1 - Stripes then bra
Option 2 - Bra then stripes
Option 3 - Stripes and the bra cut around the stripes

Pics are awesome!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniManiac74
I am trying to get some feedback on how your stripes are installed along with the clear bra. There are several options out there and I would like to know what people have done and how it looks. I went to have my clear bra installed and the installer told me that since I was going to put on stripes, that the stripes needed to go first and he would simply lay the bra on top of the stripes. Now, I have also been advised by others to put the bra on first and then add the stripes to the top of the bra. The third option is to have the bra cut around the stripes so that there isn't a ridge. What works??

Pics are awesome!
I was told by a guy who does stripes and clear bras that the stripes go on first then the bra over them. I hope that is correct cause I already have the stripes on.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Frank Matyja
Blew By U
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the clear bra installed over the stripes. In retrospect I wish that I had the clear bra installed first. It's no big deal mine looks great and has been on for 2 years. I just think the best is bra then stripes.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 AM
atn57
4th Gear

Pics are awesome!
Go with Option 2. I did that with my last mini. The stripes can get damaged but it is cheap to replace or to change the stripes when you feel like.

Ant

Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 AM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
Originally Posted by atn57
Go with Option 2. I did that with my last mini. The stripes can get damaged but it is cheap to replace or to change the stripes when you feel like.

Ant
I think that is going to be my plan of action. With the stripes on top of the bra, was there a big ridge where they overlapped?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
atn57
4th Gear
I think that is going to be my plan of action. With the stripes on top of the bra, was there a big ridge where they overlapped?
Yes there is a ridge where they overlap but, I rather have that then having to replace the clear bra get to remove or change the stripe.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stripes $50
Clear Bra $450-550
stripes go on last - They only last 3-5 years

Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Hmm... my MA said they recommend not having the stripes and the clear bra overlap. They have found that water can get in between the stripes and the bra. They do either first but always trim so there is no overlap.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
atn57
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBella
Hmm... my MA said they recommend not having the stripes and the clear bra overlap. They have found that water can get in between the stripes and the bra. They do either first but always trim so there is no overlap.

I had stripes for over 2 years and I didn't have a problem. It is true that water can get between the stripes and bra. You can run your finger along the overlap and remove the water. Did the MA say why it is a problem that water between the stripes and bra?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had that issue till I used a hair dryer and a vinyl squeege to firmly lay the vinyl down along that ridge. Water would never stay there for long as hot as the bonnet gets

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
I'm not sure of their exact reasoning... but I think it's possibly because it doesn't look good and if left there could degrade the stripes &/or paint. Not everyone is as diligent about taking caring of their Minis like us NAMers.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
BEAVR
3rd Gear
stripes magnetic over clear bra

I'm having the same issue kinda.
I have the clear bra on, looks great, good for bug season, ect.
I'd like stripes, But I can already see where the bra has received damage over the years. So don't really want to put vinyl on top of it. I'm thinking magnetic stripes will be my best bet.
looking to do some pinstriping and custom vinyl art work on top of the magnetic stripes.
since the artwork wouldn't be so church, and wouldn't be worn every day, I am thinking Magenetic is best way to go.
From experience with vinyl stripes on other vehicles, have found that the slightest imperfection can lead to bubbling.
any idea where to get a template for the long bonnet stripes and boot stripes?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
MiniManiac74
5th Gear
I went ahead and had the clear bra added to the front. I had them cut it so that it only went up as far as the top of the scoop. This way, the stripes on the top part of the bonnet are on the car itself (no seams). I then added stripes all the way down the bumper on top of the bra. I will take some pics and post them up. It looks really good and it didn't take too terribly long to put on the viper stripes.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Bra, then stripes.

If you somehow manage to damage a stripe, then it's only the cost to repace the stripe ($40) to replace if it's over the bra. If it's under the bra, then you have to replace the entire bra just to get the stripes off.

Magnetic stripes will scratch the hell out of your paint.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
Since I'm having my stripes factory installed should I not get the clear bra now?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM
eburr
2nd Gear
Old 06-09-2008, 07:02 PM
misslindsey
5th Gear
My installer said always put the clear bra on first. Then he put it on over my lightning bolts. It's just over the very tips of them, though, so it lays down pretty well.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
My dealer put the sport stripes on then bra. Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't. The bra protects the stripes where it counts, closest to the grill of the car. I can't really see where the rest of the stripes would take more damage sooner than the bra, unless you were caught in a massive hail storm or something. The front and grill section of the MINI sees all the abuse.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
eburr
2nd Gear
I like your driving lights

What kind are they?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eburr
What kind are they?
Mine? That's the factory ones, but with the white protective covers on them. When I was back at the dealer about a month ago, I saw the new black covers that come with the Clubman lights, pretty cool.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
eburr
2nd Gear
Cool, thanks

I didn't order lamps on my pending shipment, but may add them later. I will start by adding Philips X-treme bulbs in my headlamps and fogs, and then decide if I really need more lumens after that (supposed to be 80% brighter than stock halogens). Might also see if I can get brighter tailamp bulbs, as I didn't even know there was a rear foglamp option until after I placed my order. Ugh.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eburr
I didn't order lamps on my pending shipment, but may add them later. I will start by adding Philips X-treme bulbs in my headlamps and fogs, and then decide if I really need more lumens after that (supposed to be 80% brighter than stock halogens). Might also see if I can get brighter tailamp bulbs, as I didn't even know there was a rear foglamp option until after I placed my order. Ugh.
Yeah, I went with the xenons. They took a little getting used to, but I really like them now. The driving lights are good for rural areas and back roads, which we have a bit of around here. I too missed out on the rear fogs. I knew they were available, but I configured and reconfigured my car so much before ordering that I forgot them on the final configuration I gave to the dealer. Sucks, but I'm dealing.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
quemas
2nd Gear
Overlap on bra

I put some pics on another thread about a poor install. So don't look at the stripe job quality, just look at the overlap. If I had put on the stripes first, then had a clear bra installed I would have been SOL to change out the stripes. My clear bra should last the life of the car and is warrantied that long whereas the stripes aren't. Many people don't even notice the clear bra at first. Here's the thread-"Horseshoes, hand grenades and the 5 foot Aesthetic Creations Rule".

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=143429