R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First wave! Made my day.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First wave! Made my day.

I got my first wave this morning after having my MINI for almost 3 weeks! I was at a stoplight on Via Mercado in Rancho San Diego and I believe it was a GP (well, it had red mirror caps anyway) was coming up Jamacha about to cross onto the 94 and waved! I was so shocked I kinda put up my hand in awe because I've tried numerous times to get waves from other MINI drivers with no luck! And in case that guy is reading: Thank you, guy in the might-be GP!! And sorry for the lack of an enthusiastic wave...I was just shocked! Hooray! You made my day!!

Last edited by MINIchaser; 06-05-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: uugh...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Getting a wave from another MINI tends to be a bright spot in my days, too!! Doesn't happen all the time, but if you keep waving (wave at the MINI, not the driver if you'd like) these moments do occur. It's worth the effort.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
DanF
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be shocked just wave to every MINI you see.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
Hope the waves keep coming.

CROC member no. 411

Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Thanks guys! And yes, I do hope the waves keep coming. It makes me smile. Plus, I feel like we're all in an exclusive club of some sort

And in regards to that: I hope MINIs really don't become that popular now that the gas prices are going up and they're supposudly phasing out SUVs. It won't feel that special if every other car on the road ends up being a MC...

Old 06-04-2008, 09:00 AM
jgarner53
4th Gear
Well, MINIs are crazy popular in San Francisco. My husband and I used to joke about 10 years ago that black Jettas were the de rigueur car to have in SF. Now it seems to be either a MINI or a Prius (and the lack of any Prii on Bay Area lots seems to be bearing this out latetly). One day last week while moving my car at work (I have to park in a 2-hour parking zone and move my car when the enforcers chalk the tires to avoid tickets), I counted 10 MINIs in the 3 block radius I was traveling to find a new parking spot (Pine & Fillmore area of Pacific Heights). It was a veritable MINI car park!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIchaser
I feel like we're all in an exclusive club of some sort
We are!!!.....although I confess I have waved at a Sunbeam Tiger, a MGB, and an E-type Jag before. Seemed only right.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Cool!

Still waiting for my first wave. Not too many Minis around here. Always wave when I do see one but unfortunately they haven't seen me... so no wave yet. Will keep tryin'.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Mpath
3rd Gear
Dare I say it, but most of the Mini owners here that I have encountered............are ******* (Vancouver area). Even when it's obvious we're seeing eye to eye and I'm waving....no response.

That being said, on a recent weekend jaunt to Seattle, in the span of two days and 20 or so Mini's, including several Clubmans, most waved or waved back.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:22 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mpath
Dare I say it, but most of the Mini owners here that I have encountered............are ******* (Vancouver area). Even when it's obvious we're seeing eye to eye and I'm waving....no response.
Has this problem been during the winter months because I live in the Southern US and I don't think I would stick my hand out to wave at anyone during the winter.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cabriopilot
Has this problem been during the winter months because I live in the Southern US and I don't think I would stick my hand out to wave at anyone during the winter.

well, you can wave from inside the car too...

Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
cloud9
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jgarner53
Well, MINIs are crazy popular in San Francisco. My husband and I used to joke about 10 years ago that black Jettas were the de rigueur car to have in SF. Now it seems to be either a MINI or a Prius (and the lack of any Prii on Bay Area lots seems to be bearing this out latetly). One day last week while moving my car at work (I have to park in a 2-hour parking zone and move my car when the enforcers chalk the tires to avoid tickets), I counted 10 MINIs in the 3 block radius I was traveling to find a new parking spot (Pine & Fillmore area of Pacific Heights). It was a veritable MINI car park!

My wife works a couple of blocks from where you are - Fillmore and jackson! There are definately tons of mini's in SF but none of them waved to me so far

Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Great to hear that you got your first wave today MINIchaser from another MC!!

I've been waving and flashing my headlights to other MC owners only to get a couple of looks even when driving from Florida to Minnesota.Heck most don't even seem to acknowledge.Oh well.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
Flash and wave at all I see 'cause there are about 6 of us in Town.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
sr71pav
2nd Gear
I'm looking forward to officially having my first wave. I already had one this past week when I was test driving one! It took some time to register, though, so not sure if they saw the responding wave.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
well, you can wave from inside the car too...
Yes I could but with my illegal tinting I don't think you would know whether I was waving at you or giving you the what fer...or just picking my nose

Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my first wave this morning after having my MINI for almost 3 weeks!
It's a pretty cool feeling isn't it

Dean.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 PM
jw34
6th Gear
I noticed I was being followed by a MINI the other day as I pulled up to a light. Instead of waving I looked in the mirror and gave the A-OK sign over my shoulder. The driver gave one back right away.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
jgarner53
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cloud9
My wife works a couple of blocks from where you are - Fillmore and jackson! There are definately tons of mini's in SF but none of them waved to me so far
Well, that's discouraging! I don't even HAVE one yet, and I feel like waving at them all driving hither and yon.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
I know! That 62 degree weather and misty fog is just soooooo chilly!! Brrrr!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Got my first wave this morning!! Thank you Pure Silver JustaCooper driver on 35W!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Red Dragoon
6th Gear
My favorite is when a MINI is behind me at a stop, I open my sunroof and do the thumb's up. The motorer behind me either beeps or waves, with a smile.

CROC member no. 411

Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Yes I could but with my illegal tinting I don't think you would know whether I was waving at you or giving you the what fer...or just picking my nose

nice!

Old 06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBella
Got my first wave this morning!! Thank you Pure Silver JustaCooper driver on 35W!
and congrats to you! I think it should be mandatory that whenever one purchases a MINI (either new or pre-owned) you have to register with someone somewhere, and they'll give you a number to put on your window or get a special numbered license plate so that we can all leave each other feedback like, "Oh I saw chili red, number a404 this morning and they didn't wave at me!!" Or "Woweee BRG z334, you have some nice mods..." or whatever!

Oooh..and there should be a point system. If someone waves at you, they get one point, and waving back would also score a point. And those should be used for....um.....cents off purchases of gasoline? Or motoring gear?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Like that idea!

The MiniUSA Owner's Lounge actually does have motoring numbers but am not sure how many use them. So far none of the Minis I have seen around here had one. Though I registered I haven't put a number on my Mini yet. Considering it though.

Our local club has a Motored By forum. Kind cool if the one you motored by is a member.

Quick Reply: R56 First wave! Made my day.