R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How fast have you gone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Mpath
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
No, there is no limiter to speak of on the R53. Top speed was limited by drag.

And yes, the ECU has been modified (See custom dyno tune).

For what it's worth, the new R56 MINI with the same 8250 redline would be capable of a top speed of over 190 MPH. Of course, in the real world, where drag is an issue, that's impossible.

Stock redline: ~155 MPH gearing limited
8250 Redline: ~190 MPH gearing limited

See the difference revs make?
You've been into the frictionless physics lab again, haven't ya?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
62MPH! Kudos to Rusty, that's pretty awesome.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Sure am....most highways in DFW are 70 mpg max and frankly driving much faster is not a good idea!!
The justacooper has too much horsepower for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DuongR56
The justacooper has too much horsepower for you.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Jahmills
5th Gear
My friend Ronan did the European delivery thing with his BMW M6 when he bought it two years ago, had it delimited at Hartge, and made this little video one night on the Autobahn, it's all very legal, so no whining! The car in front is also an M6.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TTMKkPxei0I

Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had my '03 MCS to 115 on the main straightaway at Heartland Park, Topeka, but it was a cool day - 55* ish, and there was a pretty good tail wind. Still, I thought it was very good considering the straight isn't all that long, and there's a 90* turn at the end!

I just use the cruise control on the highway, it's much cheaper and so much less stressful when you don't spend every second worrying about cops. Just do the speed limit, no problems.........

Old 06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
peter314
5th Gear
138 .....was it in kmh or mph? you decide

Last edited by peter314; 06-05-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
?? How come mine has one?
Not sure, in every car Jan has tuned not a single one has had an electronic speed limit. Mine topped out around where the speed limiter "Supposedly" comes into play, but that was a horsepower limitation.

When I asked him about this very thing he explained that it was a horsepower limitation, not an electronic speed limiter.

As far as I know the R56 was the first model to have an electronic speed limiter.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear
Test drive outside K-town Germany, 140ish, very stable, lots left. It actually came up pretty quick, and so did the car in front of me. Then I forgot to slow down for the exit ramp (Aushfart) and I didn't run off the road. That's when I decided I needed one of these!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
mbotvinick
3rd Gear
GUYS THIS IS A REALLY BAD THREAD!

Im am no prude and I drive my cars very "aggresively" but be really carefull what you post here. If you are going fast, make sure it is in a legal fashion. IE-in Germany on the Bahn. Saying you have gone 115 on the 15 or 110 on th 10 etc. etc. is a really a dumb idea. Insurance companies will serach boards like these for proof that you "race" your mini or drive it irresposibily if you get in an accident or worse! I know members here who have gotten in trouble for that. Its not a MYTH!

Just be careful

-Michael

Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure, in every car Jan has tuned not a single one has had an electronic speed limit. Mine topped out around where the speed limiter "Supposedly" comes into play, but that was a horsepower limitation.

When I asked him about this very thing he explained that it was a horsepower limitation, not an electronic speed limiter.

As far as I know the R56 was the first model to have an electronic speed limiter.
I see what you mean. I meant indirect speed limiting through the rev limiter. Mine has a rev limiter as all MINIs do as far as I know.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:02 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mpath
You've been into the frictionless physics lab again, haven't ya?
In reality friction (While certainly part of the equation) is a very small component. Drag, and frontal area are the majority of what needs to be considered for top speed.

Consider this, a change of a couple hundred lbs only directly affects horsepower required to attain x (Where x is speed) by a few ponies.

So lets say you use 200 lbs as the weight of the object, then use 2900 lbs as the weight of an object. The difference is only about 20 HP.

Here's a great calculator that factors in pretty much everything.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/aerohpca...v=157&hp=274.9

Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM
kopov
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Just an informal poll as to the highest speed you have had you MINI up to. Did it scare you? Anything that you noticed? I am not so much afraid of the speed, but the consequences of getting caught. I've had mine up to 95 but chickened out when I saw the white Crown Vic ahead.

Turned out to be a "seasoned citizen"
Well since this thread didn't indicate that it is Mini specific: 135 mph on my BMW R1200ST...then the lower panel started to come off and I had to slow down, otherwise..... My rpm was around 6K with 8K red line so I would've hit it I think around 155-160mph. That was in the middle of Death Valley, NV.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:09 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbotvinick

Im am no prude and I drive my cars very "aggresively" but be really carefull what you post here. If you are going fast, make sure it is in a legal fashion. IE-in Germany on the Bahn. Saying you have gone 115 on the 15 or 110 on th 10 etc. etc. is a really a dumb idea. Insurance companies will serach boards like these for proof that you "race" your mini or drive it irresposibily if you get in an accident or worse! I know members here who have gotten in trouble for that. Its not a MYTH!

Just be careful

-Michael
Insurance companies can't just visit forums and arbitrarily determine what they feel like charging you based on talk on those forums.

First off, nobody really knows who any of us are, Insurance companies don't have the legal authority to audit IP addresses, contact ISP's, etc. "Rustyboy" doesn't mean much to my insurance company, even if they did have enough free time to be cruising car forums looking for talk of their insured's violating laws.

Second off, who's to say that my friend that doesn't like me didn't sign into my account and post all of what I posted?

There's no legal basis for penalization of an insured for speeding based on forum discussions. Police also can't just arbitrarily issue tickets to anyone they please, they need to WITNESS the actual violation. If you see someone speed past you on the freeway at 140 MPH then call the police with their license plate, guess what, nothing happens.

There have been some cases where people have entered claims, and the insurance company researched the claim to see if what the person said was correct.

Case in point, I know a member who totaled his car, he made a claim on his insurance, who noticed his club affiliation with SCMM (Southern California Mini Maniacs). They went to the forums there, and realized that the insured was an enthusiast, they then made the leap that since there's a bunch of MINI's that gather together, they must race. They tried to deny his claim. In the end it didn't work, because the whole thing was ludicrous, but still, it happened.

To say that insurance agents actively cruise car forums though and match up online screen names to insured clients (then deny coverages based on claims of activities that may or may not even be true) is just silly though...

Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
6th Gear
I see what you mean. I meant indirect speed limiting through the rev limiter. Mine has a rev limiter as all MINIs do as far as I know.
The rev limiter is the same in all gears. Stock is ~6800 in the R53. With the stock rev limit and gearing the car is limited to approximately 163 mph.

All the rev limiter does is cut fuel off once you reach it (So the car doesn't continue to rev past it's intended design limits).

Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbotvinick

Just be careful

-Michael
No safe driving bonus checks this month for you guys!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:23 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All,

I'd like to remind you of a NAM Site Guideline:

LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.
I'm amazed that this thread is still open!

I have seen my '06 MCS at 105 on the track during a DE and felt fine as I keep the car well maintained and I had fresh tires and a good alignment. Being a bit lower than a stock MINI with a better suspension probably helped too. I did have more speed available, had I not run out of straight track.

Please do not post about excess speed on a public road.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
All,

I'd like to remind you of a NAM Site Guideline:

LEGAL
Posts relating to street racing, excessive speeding, or violations of other laws are prohibited. If you want to race, take it to a legal venue.
I'm amazed that this thread is still open!

I have seen my '06 MCS at 105 on the track during a DE and felt fine as I keep the car well maintained and I had fresh tires and a good alignment. Being a bit lower than a stock MINI with a better suspension probably helped too. I did have more speed available, had I not run out of straight track.

Please do not post about excess speed on a public road.
Leave the reminding to the Admins.

Mark (The founder of NAM) has already visited. Subsequent conversation hasn't violated any site guidelines.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
The rev limiter is the same in all gears. Stock is ~6800 in the R53. With the stock rev limit and gearing the car is limited to approximately 163 mph.

All the rev limiter does is cut fuel off once you reach it (So the car doesn't continue to rev past it's intended design limits).
Yes, I realize that. Just pointing out that your earlier comment implied that the r53 had no speed limit, but it does indirectly through the rev limter, which as you point out, is 163 mph in 6th gear.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
6th Gear
Yes, I realize that. Just pointing out that your earlier comment implied that the r53 had no speed limit, but it does indirectly through the rev limter, which as you point out, is 163 mph in 6th gear.
Sort of. You can fudge that a bit with tires, and even more obviously by raising the rev limit. 163 is realistically faster than most any R53 or R56 MINI will be able to attain unless some significant Coefficient of drag modifications were made, or you're pushing crazy HP.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
78 mph in 70 mph zone... my heart was racing so I had to slow down.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
... there is no limiter to speak of on the R53. Top speed was limited by drag.
OK. Just making sure folks are not misled by this statement.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Krafty04
2nd Gear

Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
fbirch
2nd Gear
198MPH in a Modena 360 - but only if you belive Italian speedometers. It happened on a long, private road.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear

Quick Reply: R56 How fast have you gone?