R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Blackberry integration ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blackberry integration ideas!

Hey guys, I'm thinking of integrating my Blackberry Curve into the car. The Blackberry has an MP3 player and a NAV, so I'd like to do the following:

- Get a mount for the Blackberry so I can mount it similar to a Garmin
- Use it as a NAV when required
- Use the MP3 player in the Blackberry and plug it directly into the Aux of the stereo

So that's all pretty basic stuff . My real questions are these! Does anyone know the answers?

- When a call comes and I answer it using the handsfree feature on the Blackberry, will it go through the speakers on the car and let me properly use the mic on the Blackberry as usual? I assume this would work well.
- When a call comes in, will the Blackberry cut off the music for the call, and when done switch back to the music?
- Anyone know of any good mounts for the Blackberry?

Any other thoughts or ideas are very greatly appreciated! Looking forward to creating my own cool phone/NAV/music system!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
K3rM1t
1st Gear
I'm not sure I understand your questions. Are you asking these question in the scenario where you're bb is plugged in to the aux?

I have a bb 8130 and the bluetooth prep for my MINI. It works pretty well and the car computer was able to download my phone book from the phone so I can find people to call using the stereo controls and never have to touch my phone. The music stops when making a call and if I'm listening to the ipod, it pauses the track until the call is over. Only issues are based on the phone, not the car. bb 8130 doesn't like to loose touch with bt devices and can hang after turning the car off. Not MINIs fault.

One other thing I've noticed is that the voice dialing is NOT using the bb's voice commands like a normal bt headset would. It is completely contained in the car computer. They also use different verbs, "dial" instead of "call."

Haven't tried using my bb as an mp3 player yet. The ipod is so much better anyway.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
scruffylooking
3rd Gear
Not sure if you are using the factory bluetooth integration. If not, then this motoringfile write up should work for the Curve, too. The Shure website says that the same adaptor works for both the iphone and the Curve. I have the Curve and just ordered this adaptor to give it a shot.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/05/...one-your-mini/

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P..._phone_adapter

If you do have the factory bt integration, then forget I mentioned this.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:30 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by K3rM1t
I'm not sure I understand your questions. Are you asking these question in the scenario where you're bb is plugged in to the aux?

Ok, my apologies, I should have mentioned that the reason I'm doing this is because I do not have the factory Bluetooth, nor the ipod integration. If I had them, then I definitely wouldn't need to do this.

So as you can see, I'm trying to come up with a quick and easy solution without having to retro-fit my MC with these expensive aftermarket parts (which likely won't work too well anyway).

So... having said that... the Blackberry will be connected to the Aux of the factory stereo from its headphone jack.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:23 PM
DanQ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to do a search on Kuda mount and then attach a blackberry mount to it. for example:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=126965

I'm thinking about this adapter for the electrics, but need someone to try it first...
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=574

Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
That's interesting... not sure I understand how this adapter works though. Does it route the directions through the speaker even if you're listening to music? If so, that's really cool! And if you have a NAV with Bluetooth, that means you essentially get full Bluetooth.

I'm all over this!!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 AM
DanQ
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I "think" so, but I don't have first hand knowledge... I was thinking of using a gramin nuvi for the bluetooth,, nav and mp3 player functions..