R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 What options do you wish had/had not purchased

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
jmsamr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What options do you wish had/had not purchased

I am 99% sure I am going to buy a mini and while looking through the options many look intriguing, but I wonder which I really will use/enjoy. I could option it past $30,000 pretty easily.

Right now I am looking at the lightning blue cooper S hardtop.

I want the sport package but dont want the 17" wheels due to lower mileage. Is the sport suspension a lot stiffer than the stock?

I definitely want the cold weather package, chicago weather is just wacky.

My ?'s are the armrest and the i-pod connection.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Kimini03
5th Gear
Hi there and Welcome!!

It is very easy to rack up the $$ with all the options! We live in Ohio and for us the cold weather package was a must! We have an '03 MCS and it had heated seats. I had never had the pleasure of having heated seats before and now I don't want to go without! We just ordered a '08 MCS and decided to go with the armrest and ipod connection, which our '03 did not have. I would say it is a personal preference. We thought about what we had a previous cars and what we liked and didn't or wish they had. Any options you pick will be great, because no matter what it is still a MINI

Old 06-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Mirrim
Wrench Wench
My MINI is still on order and won't be here until mid-July. However, one of the options that was a no-brainer was the cold weather package. I have had it on my BMW for the last 7+ years and it is great. Here in Colorado December and January in particular will get quite cold.

I was originally tempted to get the sport package, but didn't. I just got the sport seats separately so the cloth upholstery could be added. There are quite a few people who use aftermarket parts to make the stock suspension more sporty... springs and a rear sway bar. Certainly there are others here who can advise you on that.

Not too much to go on, but since the MINI hasn't arrived yet, I'd just be making any further stuff up! ;P

Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 AM
DaPooh65
2nd Gear
I also have cold weather package...a Must in NE...I love it. I don't own an Ipod, just a 2 gig sansa MP3 player plugged in the audio stereo jack and worked fine...(no USB though)

Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 AM
DanF
5th Gear
Use this site to assist you in picking options but order the options you want. The beauty of the mini is you can get it any way you want. They are great cars loaded or with few or no options.

I had never owned a mini and before test driving the car I had assembled a heavily optioned car. After test driving I realized this car was unique in that there was not a need to add a lot of fluff in order to have a fun ride. I did order the heated seats though as I live in the northeast.

Good luck shopping and welcome to NAM.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 AM
jmsamr
2nd Gear
The dealer I went to said they order all of their cars with the cold weather package, unless you personally order one without.

My wifes mega van has the heated seats and the first time I drove it on a -9 degree day I was sold. The 12 foot mini will look tiny sitting next to the 17' Grand Caravan

What is the realistic delay time when ordering a mini? I was told 5-6 weeks.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:05 AM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
I don't own my MINI yet, so put next to no weight on my reply.

I've researched the forums with the same questions in mind, and I've tried to compile the feedback along the way. I've spent some time at my local dealer going through the list of little decisions that make a MINI.

If you live somewhere cold, don't think twice - get the Cold Weather Package. Either for yourself or for re-sale value, this has to be done.

If you have a tall driver in the family (I am - 6'4") there will be plenty of room inside (front seat, anyhow,) as my test drive on Thursday confirmed. However, if you are tall and a MINI driver, you'll definitely want the sun roof (Premium Package or otherwise) because the roof of the car extends pretty far forward and the wind shield angle is more vertical than other cars. That means that to see a stop light from the 1st position in line would require leaning way forward near the glass and looking vertically - difficult to do when you're in racing driver position in the comfy seat (I liked the stock leatherette in the S BTW.) It is easier/kind of fun to look at the light through the front SR panel. So just don't do TALL w/o SUN.

If you live somewhere really hot like AZ, there may be a case against the SR because the cabin may heat up more than you'd like...not an issue here in NH.

Another popular warning is around the rear fog lamps. It isn't so much that you need them, but the back grill looks a little funny without them (there are stencils out there crying "put lamps here now!" AND inside on the center stack, you'll have this annoying/off-center missing toggle switch that may bug you or someone you'll sell the car to later. So MINI holds you hostage a little bit for the $100 that it costs to get the rear fogs. A small price to pay, if you ask me. When you test drive at the dealer, have him point this out...see a car with the RFLs and without them, and you'll see what I mean. (Not sure if this applies to the Cooper as I'm only looking at the S.)

Most of the rest of the options are personal taste. Choosing a color is a difficult process, and you'll change your mind a few times. Seeing the darker colors with a little pollen on them heavily influenced my decision to go lighter/brighter. Darker = harder to keep clean. If you've seen colors indoors, be sure to see them outdoors too, and try to see them again on a rainy day. MINI colors change a lot. Under the indoor lights, for example, Laser Blue looks much darker/bluer than it appears outside. Lightning Blue looks more navy outside, but more intense sapphire indoors in the showroom. Online photos are not representative of the true colors, for the mostpart. Metallic colors are harder to touch up neatly should you get a scrape, but they have their positives as well.

I have a thing for xenon head lamps and the cool things they do, so I'm going to go down that road...you may not feel the need. I'm also getting an automatic...because...I know, I know...because I'm married and don't get ALL the votes. Wife demands chrome caps on the mirrors too, so that's going to be done. I can easily understand why someone wouldn't bother with either of these options.

Now if I can only get a hard read on when the '09 S goes into factory production I'll be set to order.

Good Luck,

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
Oops-

You asked about the armrest and iPod connection and I ignored that part of the question. Sorry.

If you're tall, the arm rest might be more annoying than functional. My arm kept sliding the secret compartment forward and back, and I had to reach around the end a bit to pull the emergency brake. The cockpit is crowded enough, so that for me, the AR is a no go. Now if I were a 5'3" real estate agent who spent a lot of time on the phone, the AR might be a huge plus.

iPod feedback I leave to someone else. Glad my daughter doesn't drive yet, as I'd probably have to have 9 iPod jacks custom-wired into mine.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsamr
I am 99% sure <...>
My ?'s are the armrest and <...>.
I did not like the MINI-USA Armrest option.

Too small, slide-open top and was not getting BT option anyway.

So I ordered and installed the European version, much larger and more comfortable
with a sturdier mounting system from below seat tracks.

Built by MINI and has nice logo on 'Flip-Top' button and you can still use the rear cup holder.

It is 12" X 4.5" and installs in :15 minutes using a T40 Torx screwdriver.

I ordered it from Outmotoring.com for $220 and it looks like the same thing from MINIspeed.com for $190.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 AM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Just a few personal comments for your consideration. First, since you're in Chicago, definitely get the cold weather package. Second, add the xenon lights -- a BIG difference in night vision. Third, be sure to include the multi-purpose steering wheel. Fourth, add the rear fog lights (as others have pointed out, not so much that you need them, but the rear grill looks bad without them). Finally, an option I did NOT get, and now definitely wish I had -- rain sensing wipers. Other options are your personal preference. Personally, I am accustomed to having a center arm rest.

With regard to the USB iPod connection, don't forget the there is an AUX input connection standard, and you can connection your iPod through that input and play it through the car audio system. I suppose there are some advantages to the factory iPod connection (which includes recharging power to the iPod) but, for me anyway, the cost wasn't justified.

Whatever options you choose, you'll have fun the the Mini -- not only decent performance but great fuel mileage too, not something to ignore in this day and age. Best wishes in making your choices.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:32 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Some options I picked...
HiFi Sound - if you're not going aftermarket with stereo, this is a great improvement over the stock system (although NOT perfect).
Xenon headlights - they were a lot better than I thought, but the cutoff is annoying when trying to read street signs at night...
Limited Slip Differential - honestly, unless you track the car or you drive in the snow often, you won't notice its there...
iPod adapter - allows use of steering wheel controls BUT the long cable is unecessary (it could be shorter in order to reduce tangles) and when not in use, the connector causes an annoying dash rattle.

Wish I ordered...
Anthracite headliner - I have a PW/B MCS and it I love dark interiors but the $250 price tag gave me second thoughts... by the way, the standard gray headliner is not bad, but the anthracite goes perfectly with a black roof.

I'm glad I ordered...
16" wheels - I plan on going aftermarket anyways, so why bother upgrading to 17's (plus it rides softer with smaller wheels).

Last edited by dajiggalo; 06-07-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 AM
dajiggalo
3rd Gear
Oh yeah, its very easy to get carried away with ordering options, just make sure you stay within your budget

Last edited by dajiggalo; 06-07-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 AM
jessyca333
2nd Gear
Not sure exactly what it would be called in the states, but I got media connect (which consists of the mini being bluetooth-ready and has the usb and aux jack put in).

I would recommend this route rather than the whole "i-pod setup" in the glove compartment. For the difference in price, i think in Canada it was 800$-900+ for the ipod setup and about 490$ or so for the "media connect" package.

I tested it out with the usb plug in the showroom, it charged my ipod, allowed me to see the song titles on the radio screen and I could change tracks and control volume from the multifunction steering wheel, or just on the radio if you don't have the multifunction steering wheel.

This was a BIG importance for me, since my ipod is ALWAYS on in the car, so I really did extensively test and check it out.

If you do wish for the ipod to be hidden, this is the only difference I would see in paying the extra money.

Like I said, not sure how it differs in the states though, maybe your options are different.

I would just get the usb jack, and that is what I ordered on my MCS

Last edited by jessyca333; 06-07-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: double checked pricing
Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Grape82
1st Gear
The Bluetooth option, the auto AC, and the cold weather package have become very nice to have options for me. I would really like to have the Navigation system.....but the $$$$ just seems a bit much.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:14 AM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE: the sport suspension, I drove one with and one without, back to back, and MUCH preferred without. The Sport definitely added a harshness to the ride that I did not care for, and the nimbleness of the car in its stock form is certainly all the fun I care to handle!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
jmsamr
2nd Gear
I think I have narrowed it down to a few select options

-Lightning blue with black top
-Cold weather package
-Sport Package minus 17" rims (I am coming from and SRT4 which is pretty
rough so I am used to it, plus I might do a little SCCA with it)( I would like
to get some black Konig Heliums or similair wheel)
-Multifunction steering wheel
-Backup lights (you guys talked me into it )
-rubber front mats (see if I can work a deal)

I will have to test drive one without the arm rest. I am 5'8" so I am not tall.
I'm glad you informed me about the standard audio jack input b/c that is all I need.

Does anybody know if there is a chronometer package that fills up the center speedo? I like the DVD nav. but the $$$ are pretty high.

Thanks for the input
I am geeked about ordering one asap

Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 AM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
As I understand it, if you botch ordering the rear fogs and decide to "correct" that later, with the wiring and re-working of the console, the cost is incredibly high. $100 is the price of freedom, even if you never ever use rear fogs for anything. I'm sure your local dealer will have an S without them so that you can feel the Adrian Monk pain of not having them on the car.

Why didn't MINI just make those damned things standard equipment? I guess they just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM
mini on
4th Gear
Few are happy with the factory armrest. Here's how I built mine for 25k 08 mcs C/R black LSD DSC ZENONS cold weather pkg auto dim mirror rainsense wipers anthracite headliner rear fog white turnsignal MFSW .And you're right it is very easy to configure a mini @ 30k .

Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
jmsamr
2nd Gear
Around 25K was the ceiling I was looking to aim for.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
While I'm disappointed with the construction of the armrest, I'm not sorry I ordered it. There's nothing on my car that I have ever second-guessed, armrest included. Sure, I could have gone with some more expensive rims, but I like mine, and as configured my car was right at $30K. Quite enough, I think. I only got it down to that by not ordering the Nav system as I initially intended. A decision I do not regret. I like the big speedo.

As far as the sport suspension, my ride is definitely stiffer than my wife's, who has MC with the standard set up. Both cars are fun, but of course I drive my S with the performance enhancements a little harder.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 AM
pillar
5th Gear
dajiggalo... very right about the xenons and the annoying cut off... if only i could raise it a lil bit that would make night driving a lil more comfortable.

would have liked the rear foglights and the anthracite headliners...

Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ucbrother
While I'm disappointed with the construction of the armrest, I'm not sorry I ordered it.
Once you get the factory armrest lid properly on its rails then it's really not that bad -- shuts tight with a satisfying click and provides a little extra room for a wheel lock, cigarette lighter you wil never use in the car and some rosary beads (or alternatively an mp3 player). The only thing you really have to watch for is resting your arm on it while the lid is partially open, if you do then *pop* , off the rails it goes. Otherwise it's OK imo.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:16 PM
b werner
2nd Gear
Although the interior looks good with the standard headliner I think it would look sharper with the Anthracite headliner. Thats the one thing I regret not ordering.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:26 PM
eurotrash01
3rd Gear
Damn...my configurator price just went up another $250 for the AHL. I didn't realize that it was in all the cars I liked at the dealer. Seems it should be a choice of either white or anthracite for no extra charge, but those 3 words seem to be out of the MINI/BMW mindset.

I'm up to about $26.5K and that's with stock 16" wheels (not the S-Winders...the 7-spoke ones) and no upholstery or paint upgrades.

Planned car: CR/B, AT, PP + CWP, AHL, XHL+RFL, (mud flaps, Mini valve caps, rubber floor liners, grocery bag holders, chrome mirrors)

We'll see if the 2009 PP is like the JCW line, in that they subbed out a multi-function steering wheel for the bonus Hi-Fi while knocking off the $250 difference. Might need to beef up the sound system.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM
ckranert
2nd Gear
I am happy with the convenience/bluetooth/USB option. It works very well and the USB port makes it so I am not stuck with an iPod. My phone is a T-Mobile Wing and it interacts with the car flawlessly. I considered the HiFi and auto A/C, but for the price I could and will install a very nice aftermarket system and the car is so small the A/C is rarely on higher than the first setting (even in Florida) so I do not regret that decision. Xenons would be the only thing I tell myself I should have gotten.

Quick Reply: R56 What options do you wish had/had not purchased