R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've resisted posting but I wasn't happy with my install at AMVIV a year ago. edges were very roughly trimmed, and the vinyl has a lot of scratch marks where he used his hard plastic tool to push out the bubbles. I asked him why the dry install versus wet ("only amateurs use a wet install") and when I asked about the rough edges and scratches he gave me the same song and dance ("they all look that way...you just have to step back").

I also sent him the picture of a competititors side stripe and he said he could match it...and it wasn't even close. I hate confrontation and let them go as is but kick myself all the time.

A club mate (I won't rat him out) had similar complaints. I can't recommend him either.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've emailed AC to make sure they are aware of this thread.

Mark

Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 PM
kreative
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you paid via Paypal, the product should be covered for 90 days, or else you can file a complaint for refund.

Sorry to hear this has happened, and I hope AC can get this straightened out. They're a pretty popular, and fairly reputable company from what I've heard and read before this thread.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkling17
That is TERRIBLE - get the NAM admins involved - they often have a fair amount of pull w/ our vendors. I was very close to pulling the trigger on ordering some stripes myself.

As of now - I will hold off until seeing how they resolve your issue.
Besides letting a vendor know there is a thread such as this as practice we at NAM cannot get involved. We cannot and will not arbitrate. negotiate, mediate, or pass judgment on such matters. NAM does offer a place to air grievances and/or experiences both positive and negative and in a civil manner.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM
xbook
Banned
Wow dude sorry to say, but your stripes look like crap.
Guess that answers my question about this vendor...

Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Sorry to see you problem, substandard workmanship for sure. Cant believe that was a "professional". I am no expert to say the least but I have installed 3 sets of stripes on cars they turned out nicer than those. Never installed them without water though. Good luck in finding a remedy.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:57 PM
jjp007
4th Gear
Good to know. Won't be using them. no no no

Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
I had the dealer do mine and the stripes should be equal distance apart going all the way up and down the car. Sorry you had a bad experience with this...I'd demand a refund were I you.

Last edited by tjtull; 06-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
The difference between yours and the OP is that the material that goes under the bonnet was placed into the bonnet scoop--thus allowing enough overlap around the edges and not showing the paint. With the OP's bright color, it's plainly obvious where the paint shows through, and by placing the vinyl that would have gone underneath the scoop to hide the gaps---in the scoop, he would need additional vinyl for those edges.

Also looking at your stripe--they go around the emblem. That also makes for an easier install. I'm not sure if Mike cut the stripes to fit the emblem or they were that way to begin with--but seeing that they are not even, I would assume the cuts were made after.

Originally Posted by tjtull
I had the dealer do mine and the stripes should be equal distance apart going all the way up and down the car. Sorry you had a bad experience with this...I'd demand a refund were I you.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm planning on using Cooper Flags for my graphics. One of the numerous reasons is that (I've been told by others that) he makes several copies of your graphic so that if it doesn't look just right, he rips it off and pulls out another copy.

You paid for quality. You should get quality. I'd be calling every day until this was resolved to my satisfaction. Your experience also tells me that it's probably a bad idea to have installs done at MOTD or AMVIV or such event. If the installer can't concentrate on your job because his customers (who already paid) may have to drive home, there's an opportunity for quality to suffer.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
quemas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull

Man I'm jealous......that's the look I expected.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
diablito
5th Gear
I do not have any experience with the guys at AC but it will seem to me and this is what I recommend to my clients when installing sport stripes after delivery. Go to the parts counter and get a new front badge, or if you are good enough to use fishing line thats good too to remove the OEM and use 3m tape to put it back after you line the strips front to back most inexperience players will start by the windshield...some are good enough to do it but most don't...when you are placing you are close so if you do not take the time to look from far away if you are eye balling Ummmm is going to be bad.

But again I have taken pictures of one set of sport stripes installed at the VPC (port) and got them replaced ... even from the port can be off center or not all the way to the bottom..sight , is a human installing so.. is only the time invested and experience which make for a good or crappy ending.

Sport stripes require at least 2.5 hours @ $135.00 umm is a job for a professional.

Mean looking A58 Hyper you got there...Good luck on the out come w/AC.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
eeesh....my inexperienced clear-bra installer (Winners Tint) stands strongly behind his 10 foot rule. Tried to tell me it was industry standard...but it is really just a bs excuse that unskilled or sloppy installers seem to use. There's a difference between unreasonably expecting an absolute perfect job and then simply expecting something done right. Give AC the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure he'll sort it out. Otherwise, you can always dispute with your CC company.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 AM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
I would wait a week to let AC fix the issue and then start a dispute with paypal. They always back the buyer.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:09 AM
reboopie
4th Gear
Having seen the stripes at MOTD I hope that you are able to get some resolution. My 16 year old daughter also saw the stripes and could not believe the poor craftsmanship. (she currently is working with a vinyl installer) I had my stripes done the week before MOTD by a professional (over twenty years) and he used the wet method (I drove my car within an hour of being finished). I work in and around vinyl everyday (signs) and there should be no cracking of the vinyl when it is applied. As for the five foot rule, we would not accept that for paint and should not from vinyl. I suggest that you open a dispute with paypal and include a copy of this link for reference. Hopefully, since it was forwarded to AC they will step up and refund your $$. Thank you for posting this thread. It gives everyone valuable information when choosing wither or not to have vinyl installed and who to use.

Best of Luck. Look forward to seeing you next year at MOTD!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
/\ must not have read any of my posts

my stripes from AC are not symmetrical - one set is wider than the other and I have similar 'gaps' in the crevices when looking closely. Truth be told, I too was disappointed with the craftsmanship, especially being asked to assist with the install (which I paid for) and asked 'is this straight?' and 'does this look right?'. If I wanted a DIY install....I would not have paid for it.

Once bitten, twice shy.
I was in DC for the same event, there on Sunday, and had some of the same issues. I was the last install of the day, **** wasn't right, it was getting late, & didn't want to bust his *****, but in retrospect should have. To the OP, yeah it looks like crap, hope they take care of it for you.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM
DanQ
2nd Gear
I went to the AC site yesterday and my virus software set off an alarm. FYI.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
F13rc3dr4g0n
Not short, fun size!
i have sent Mike a text message, he should check in on this as soon as he gets the time

Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
First off thanks Ash for letting me know about this thread. If I didn't have my peeps looking out for me on here I would never even know that there is a problem.

Witch brings up the problem. I agree that the stripe are not what they should be. And should be replaced. SO WHY are you now badmouthing me on NAM 4 months later? Did you even once try to contact me about a replacement? NO you didn't. So how am I supposed to know you that you were not satisfied with the work. BTW that goes for the rest of you folks that are just now deciding to complain about your stripes.

This is unacceptable behavior from a group of adults. We are a business just like any other business. Do you buy something from Best Buy and then decide 4 months later that your not happy with it and then complain on a public forum about your product. Well some of you might but most people would take the product back to the store and get it replaced.

Aesthetic Creations works very hard at keeping our customers satisfied. We state that on our Website and Keep up the reputation here on NAM. If you have a problem with the product or the install than I need to know about it.

Please contact me through Email, NAM PM or by phone if you have an issue instead of making it a spectacle here on a Public Forum. I will be happy to work out a compromise. I may not be able to give money back all the time but I'm always willing to make it right within reason.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by dragonflyer
First off thanks Ash for letting me know about this thread. If I didn't have my peeps looking out for me on here I would never even know that there is a problem.

Witch brings up the problem. I agree that the stripe are not what they should be. And should be replaced. SO WHY are you now badmouthing me on NAM 4 months later? Did you even once try to contact me about a replacement? NO you didn't. So how am I supposed to know you that you were not satisfied with the work. BTW that goes for the rest of you folks that are just now deciding to complain about your stripes.

This is unacceptable behavior from a group of adults. We are a business just like any other business. Do you buy something from Best Buy and then decide 4 months later that your not happy with it and then complain on a public forum about your product. Well some of you might but most people would take the product back to the store and get it replaced.

Aesthetic Creations works very hard at keeping our customers satisfied. We state that on our Website and Keep up the reputation here on NAM. If you have a problem with the product or the install than I need to know about it.

Please contact me through Email, NAM PM or by phone if you have an issue instead of making it a spectacle here on a Public Forum. I will be happy to work out a compromise. I may not be able to give money back all the time but I'm always willing to make it right within reason.
MOTD was NOT four months ago. As for the rest of us who've had issues....it's not like we haven't mentioned it to you before. Heck, I paid for stuff you forgot to bring along and it took me awhile to get a refund.

Raise your game man....vinyl is not that hard....if I had it to do a second time around, I'd DIY seeing as how I was involved in my own install.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Why are you thanking ash, your peeps? Mark F emailed you 39 hours ago & told you about this thread.

I think everyone in this thread has acted very respectfully & very adult. No one has come in here bombarding the thread with repetitive or derogatory BS. To tell a group of adults that they are not free to share their experiences, good or bad, in a tactful & respectful manner here on NAM is the only thing I find unacceptable.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
new22003
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dragonflyer

Witch brings up the problem. I agree that the stripe are not what they should be. And should be replaced.
Would have been the perfect customer service response and saved a lot of business had it ended there.

Last edited by new22003; 06-12-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM
enricosonic
6th Gear
Do they go across the roof and down the back too? Just thinking that front section represents a fraction of the $400 and could be re-done for much less.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Actually before jumping to conclusions, we should all take a deep breath and realize that not everybody, especially during the summer time, is near a computer 24/7. I PM'd Mike before Mark emailed him (and neither of us got a reply), so Ash offered to text his cell phone and that's how Mike was informed of the situation.

Originally Posted by bamatt
Why are you thanking ash, your peeps? Mark F emailed you 39 hours ago & told you about this thread.

I think everyone in this thread has acted very respectfully & very adult. No one has come in here bombarding the thread with repetitive or derogatory BS. To tell a group of adults that they are not free to share their experiences, good or bad, in a tactful & respectful manner here on NAM is the only thing I find unacceptable.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Actually before jumping to conclusions, we should all take a deep breath and realize that not everybody, especially during the summer time, is near a computer 24/7. I PM'd Mike before Mark emailed him (and neither of us got a reply), so Ash offered to text his cell phone and that's how Mike was informed of the situation.
I am not jumping to conclusions. I read the AE response & posted based on it. I have seen too many AE complaint threads handled this way where the dissatisfied customer is put on the defensive (I mean how dare they complain!) & they seem to get shut down & mysteriously disappear so people like the OP are led to believe that a vendor is perfect because only the gushy happy responses are left out for all to see. I do not believe in incessantly bashing people out in public but I get equally tired of people jumping on the defend-em-at-all-costs-no-matter-what bandwagon too.

Quick Reply: R56 Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"