R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:29 PM
quemas
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"

Please note that this issue has been resolved. Please click here to see the resolution.

Took a while to get this post up after having a great time at MOTD, then getting back to work. I have had great luck with most vendors on NAM, but wanted to vent a bit here about an install at MOTD this year.

The only thing missing from the above phrase is Atom Bombs. Didn't know which thread to put this experience in, so here it is.

I had Viper stripes installed this year at MOTD and am including pics of the final product. All photos I've seen, including those on the AC website show parallel stripes coming down the car bonnet. As you can see, mine are off center (look at the wings) and they become closer as they travel down the bonnet, then flare out at the bottom. The boot would have been the same except I sat there and made them measure the distance between the stripes. Not just eyeball it, as I was told installers do.

During the conversations during and after install, after purchasing materials and paying for install, I wasn't pleased with the final product which was expensive. The install certainly took time, granted. I also have irregular stripes around my scoop and around the windows on the bonnet. They weren't the same width either, from front to back, although I was told it was insignificant. I drove back to the cabin, and as I was looking at it again, I noticed the stripes had superficial cracks in the surface, not full thickness, but still not "esthetically" pleasing. When I went back to discuss this, I was told about the 5 foot rule.

For those of you who don't know about this rule, anything you can see when you are closer than 5 feet to a car, is given a pass. So for those of you showing your cars, the judges can't get closer than 5 feet, any defects seen don't count unless you are further away than 5 feet! So as long as you have horseshoes, hand grenades, and atom bombs, anything close counts, except installs by Aesthetic Creations. So buyer beware. I know many are satisfied with their installs, but I can assure you that I will have to have my stripes re-done and they didn't stand behind their product.

Attached Thumbnails Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"-viper-stripes1.jpg   Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"-viper-stripes5.jpg   Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"-viper-stripes2.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the design of the stripes. But, I can certainly feel your frustration as there certainly should not be any cracks in a brand new product and they should be installed straight. It's hard to believe they won't stand behind the product or the install.

I would love to see a pic taken from farther away to get a overall idea how the car looks.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
richs10
5th Gear
HORSEFEATHERS!

I would raise a ruckus if those stripes were on my car. The front bumper and below really stand out to me. The fact that they are not straight is simply UNACCEPTABLE, period.

And, FWIW, as an attorney, I don't know of any court that would recognize this alleged "five foot rule". Maybe I was absent that day, but more likely, its pure bullhockey by an incompetent installer. They should be ashamed to hold themselves out as a top shop.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have a clear bra? in this photo i can see two little creases above the scoop to the left and right.

i know of the 10 ft rule/5 ft rule for show cars but that means squat when it comes to customer satisfaction.
is the yellow supposed to show inside of the scoop at the corners?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 PM
scribbledpaper
the land of far, far away
sorry to hear that you're having a problem.

I've purchased several things from Aesthetic Creations and I've been pleased with everything. There communications is great and everything I have has turned out great. I'm looking forward to MITM where they will be putting on the new roof decal that they will be designing for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah... I can see it's a bit "off".

Odd. I've been a member here for almost two years. I, myself, have purchased many (too many ) items from AC. And I can't recall ever hearing another complaint about them.

Not that it makes you any happier, of course.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/\ must not have read any of my posts

my stripes from AC are not symmetrical - one set is wider than the other and I have similar 'gaps' in the crevices when looking closely. Truth be told, I too was disappointed with the craftsmanship, especially being asked to assist with the install (which I paid for) and asked 'is this straight?' and 'does this look right?'. If I wanted a DIY install....I would not have paid for it.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've read hundreds of your posts. Not sure how I missed any though.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
I wouldn't have paid if I wasn't happy...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by dwf137
I wouldn't have paid if I wasn't happy...
doesn't work like that...AC takes payment in advance for install dates like MOTD.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM
minimusprime
6th Gear
wow those don't look very good at all... i'm sorry. I'd pull them asap.

P.S. with the smoothing you've done to the headlight rings... i think the car would look better with no stripes @ all. Just my .02.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
LONO
2nd Gear
Sorry to say but they really do not look good, I would pull them. I would also send those pics to AC I think a refund is in order.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
DanF
5th Gear
That is a very poor job. I would be so disappointed if somebody did a job like that on my car. Thanks for bringing this up and mentioning the vendor also.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM
chxpla2
2nd Gear
I have those exact same stripes and exact same problem, except around the wings, there is no spacing there, it looks like it was put under the wings.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:53 PM
dwf137
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PGT
doesn't work like that...AC takes payment in advance for install dates like MOTD.
ahhh, the way he told his story it kinda sounded like he payed afterwards...

that sucks...

Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
quemas
2nd Gear
Thanks for the feedback

I sat there off and on throughout some of the install. I paid via paypal long before the event, so no chance of a refund. During the install I said they weren't straight, and it fell on deaf ears. The bonnet would have been worse, except I had him measure between the stripes and showed him they were off by as much as 2 inches once he reached the bumper. Mike knew I wasn't happy with the install, but I don't think he really cared because he didn't have any other stripes to re-do. He was also behind on installs so was in a hurry, as I was the first and it was putting him behind.

I wouldn't recommend using him for installs, although I read a lot of posts before I purchased, that he does a good job. I also had the stripes looked at by someone else because of the creasing and cracking, and they say it is from the quality of the vinyl. He also does a dry install, so this also contributes to an inability to move the stripes around while installing.

Number of issues...........Bottom line is I'm out close to $400 and will still have to have them replaced.

Yes glnr13 I do have a clear bra.

Last edited by quemas; 06-11-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the only way you're going to get a perfect look is to paint it. It appears that the pieces in the scoop area and the bonnet were one piece that was cut out of the same stripe..which would make sense for alignment purposes. It seems that there wasn't enough vinyl there and that actually the scoop would need to be wrapped separately from the bonnet. I think you could improve this dramatically by using additonal strips of black vinyl to cover the yellow painted areas--inside of the hole where the scoop is, and inside the scoop itself.

As for the emblem not lining up, there are worse alternatives--the best is to remove the emblem and let the stripes run through it, then glue it back, but some people don't like that.

When I had my stripe done on my '03 Cooper, my vinyl guy had never worked on a MINI before, and it pulled the stripe together like this.

Used an Xacto to trim it, and left a little seam.

It wasn't the best, but after watching him struggle for 3 days to get the stripes in place thanks to the bonnet bulge and my stripe design, it was good enough.

Btw, one reason he may have chosen to do a dry install was to allow you to get back to driving the Dragon, instead of having to wait all day until the stripes were dried.

Originally Posted by quemas
He also does a dry install, so this also contributes to an inability to move the stripes around while installing.

Number of issues...........Bottom line is I'm out close to $400 and will still have to have them replaced.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 06-10-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by quemas
He was also behind on installs so was in a hurry, as I was the first and it was putting him behind.
he's ALWAYS behind it seems. Same for me 1.5 years ago. So bad, he was doing Sat jobs on Sunday. first rule of scheduling - better to bump one than delay all.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
That really looks horrible. Totally unacceptable work. I see 4 creases right off the bat. I don't know what to tell you. Try to exhaust all avenues towards getting a refund. I can recommend Cooper Flags for replacement graphics. Their graphics are top notch. I have a checkered roof decal that they did 2 years ago. My MINI is ungaraged & the decal still looks brand new, no yellowing on the white bits, no fading on the black bits. If you could find a good installer in your area I say rip that mess off that you have now, put this behind you, & think of it as a distant bad memory.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
jkling17
4th Gear
That is TERRIBLE - get the NAM admins involved - they often have a fair amount of pull w/ our vendors. I was very close to pulling the trigger on ordering some stripes myself.

As of now - I will hold off until seeing how they resolve your issue.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
the platform
5th Gear
Hey Aesthetic Creations!Make this guy happy....that job aint gonna bring you any business.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
That's a shame. I like the design, which is a lot of stripe material that must be hard to handle, but he knew what he was taking on. There's way too much gap in the center of the bonnet, and the bumper and lowest part aren't good either. The "5 foot rule" is BS, everybody knows that, and anyone can see the variance from 10 yards away I bet. If they won't make good on it can't you invoke "the Paypal rule" and jerk the payment out from under them? If I were AC I'd suck it up and refund it if you showed that you had it done again. Not every job turns out well even if you're good at it. That's a drag, man.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-10-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
Sorry they didn't do a good job for you quemas. Hope that AC sees your post and recognizes that the right thing to do here is to help you get new stripes installed correctly.

The best way to maintain your business AC is to ensure happy customers! Show all the NAMers you care about customer satisfaction and know how to turn a problem into an opportunity to build customer loyalty!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Yeah WOW i just noticed the OP said he paid $400 for that I didn't realize you paid so much. I would fight hard to get that money back as that is nothing to shrug off

Old 06-10-2008, 10:30 PM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
In all fairness, Have you contacted Him? Since the Dragon..? Not saying him being busy and moving on to the next customer instead of addressing your concerns is fair.. but now.. after the Dragon when things have settled down for him.. might be a good time to try..
I'm sorry this happened to you, and I would be upset too, but anyone who knows me, knows Im the type who won't say anything it sucks Im like that.. but trust me.. I know how you feel.

Last edited by lilruffcat; 06-10-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: R56 Horseshoes, hand grenades and the "5 Foot Aesthetic Creations Rule"